• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Exotoro

Weavel? Yeah, I can dig it.

1000px-Weavel.jpg

Man, I remember back in my earliest internet days when somebody on the McLeod forums was rooting pretty hard for Weavel to get repped.

Really though any of the Prime Hunters could work... but I think their time has passed. Dunno.

Ryce

Since when is that confirmed by Sakurai or even a consensus? If anything Sylveon is more likely than the others because the Fairy type is new, as well as being one of the promotional 6th gen Pokemon.
What exactly is there to "confirm"? Eevee can evolve into one of eight different Pokémon depending on which stone it is exposed to -- that's pretty equal footing. Just because Sylveon is the newest of those evolutions doesn't make it the most important. Including Sylveon as a standalone Smash Bros. character makes little sense.

Yeah well, I'm Harada's dog; with a built-in force field!

I brought my Ridley, who's big enough to eat force-field dog

What exactly is there to "confirm"? Eevee can evolve into one of eight different Pokémon depending on which stone it is exposed to -- that's pretty equal footing. Just because Sylveon is the newest of those evolutions doesn't make it the most important. Including Sylveon as a standalone Smash Bros. character makes little sense.

I don't agree that Sylveon is likely but I see the logic behind it, considering Sylveon was one of, if not the first sixth gen Pokemon revealed and had a lot of marketing behind it, a trend which a lot agree is what would constitute a Pokemon's eligibility (see: Lucario, Plusle/Minun, Pichu). Unlike previous Eeveelutions it's the first one to be added by itself and without at least one other like Espeon/Umbreon and Leafeon/Glaceon, and it represents one of the biggest new additions to Gen VI, the Fairy Type.

Kjellson

Why do these "leakers" keep putting K. Rool on their "rumors"? When will people realize that no one at Nintendo gives a shit about him anymore?

DaBoss

Not all of them evolve by stones (Espeon, Umbreon, Leafeon, Glaceon, and Sylveon), but I do agree with your point that they are all equal. They put it in the spotlight in Gen 6 because the Fairy-type is new and that it is a new Eeveelution.

Berordn

Why do these "leakers" keep putting K. Rool on their "rumors"? When will people realize that no one at Nintendo gives a shit about him anymore?

They're just giving the people what they want!

A forgettable manimal who was so devoid of personality they had to make up a new one every time they used him.

rekameohs

Banned
Speaking of Metroid, Nintendo really blew their chance by choosing that dump Pyrosphere as a stage. Tourian would be a great choice to round out the Brinstar/Norfair locations, but there's no way they'll put another lava/acid metal room themed stage again with Pyrosphere. And then their complete dismissal of Metroid Prime is hurting the chances of a great organic stage, like Phendrana Drifts or Phaaze.

Fiktion

Banned
Speaking of Metroid, Nintendo really blew their chance by choosing that dump Pyrosphere as a stage. Tourian would be a great choice to round out the Brinstar/Norfair locations, but there's no way they'll put another lava/acid metal room themed stage again. And then their complete dismissal of Metroid Prime is hurting he chances of a great organic stage, like Phendrana Drifts or Phaaze.

Prime had a stage in Brawl, although it was probably the worst they could have picked.

Pyrosphere is in so that they could include Ridley as a stage hazard obviously.

Speaking of Metroid, Nintendo really blew their chance by choosing that dump Pyrosphere as a stage. Tourian would be a great choice to round out the Brinstar/Norfair locations, but there's no way they'll put another lava/acid metal room themed stage again with Pyrosphere. And then their complete dismissal of Metroid Prime is hurting he chances of a great organic stage, like Phendrana Drifts or Phaaze.

Fortunately we still have the 3DS version, which has Metroid II, Zero Mission and Fusion to pull from.

Fortunately we still have the 3DS version, which has Metroid II, Zero Mission and Fusion to pull from.

And then they added that one map from Hunters and another from Pinball

Well I guess he would have to be a cyborg to explain the human-like hands and posture..

Nintendo will never, ever acknowledge that game as canon..

Wasn't the electric dude at the end of Prime III? If Nintendo doesn't want it canon, nobody told Retro that.

Triton55

Speaking of Metroid, Nintendo really blew their chance by choosing that dump Pyrosphere as a stage. Tourian would be a great choice to round out the Brinstar/Norfair locations, but there's no way they'll put another lava/acid metal room themed stage again with Pyrosphere. And then their complete dismissal of Metroid Prime is hurting the chances of a great organic stage, like Phendrana Drifts or Phaaze.

I think there's a good chance of there being a Metroid Prime 3 stage in addition to Pyrosphere, considering both Melee and Brawl had two original Metroid stages. I could see Phaaze or a GFS Docking Bay making it in. I'd personally love Phendrana or Elysia, but seems like tranquil areas tend to be overlooked as Metroid stages.

For the 3DS version, a stage based on the extra stages of Zero Mission would make sense, considering that it's Zero Suit Samus's origin. Maybe a Metroid Prime Hunters stage too since that's the most recent portable Metroid?

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and

He has been a pretty common fan request since the Melee days.

They're just giving the people what they want!

A forgettable manimal who was so devoid of personality they had to make up a new one every time they used him.

9J8dMbe.jpg

Wasn't the electric dude at the end of Prime III? If Nintendo doesn't want it canon, nobody told Retro that.

Well, whatever was at the end of Corruption LOOKED a lot like Sylux, but wasn't exactly the same. Probably intentionally since Retro had no idea what the fuck they were doing next, they just wanted to leave something for fans to speculate on.

Besides, Hunters, erm, "story" didn't reference or contradict anything else in Metroid canon, so there really is no reason to make it non-canon except for that the single player was dog shit.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, that must have been intentional, but they made it juuuuust different enough so that if they followed up on it and changed their minds about including Sylux they could say "no it totally wasn't you all got tricked"

Yeah you could say it could have been the ship of Dark Samus(even though Phazon is now all gone making this possibility unlikely).

Of what little information that was given we do know that Sylux stalks Samus and in this one scene we are given that possibility. While the ship is similar it is definitely not the same design as the one in Hunters as it has a greenish hue.

Not

Banned
I think if they add another Zelda character, it will be Impa, because there's no other Skyward Sword representation in the characters (and the only other Zelda character left can't represent that game), so she makes sense.

I think if Sakurai is a man who goes with Wolf over Krystal, he's also a man that goes with Ghirahim over Impa

GamerSoul

The obvious problem with that is that the new generation trainer will be out of place when the next Smash comes out. It's better to pick evergreen characters who will never be irrelevant.

That's why I advocate for Anna as the Fire Emblem rep over all the main characters.

Just say NO to X and Y reps.

I don't think it matters that much. Besides there are a few characters on the roster who have received new life through smash.

Metroid Prime 3 came out after Super Smash Bros. Brawl; and if Sakurai went far enough back to select a Spirit Tracks stage, I'm pretty sure we'll see a new Prime stage.

I think if Sakurai is a man who goes with Wolf over Krystal, he's also a man that goes with Ghirahim over Impa
Ghirahim is a one off villain who will likely never return like Aganhim, Yuga, Zant, Chancellor Cole, etc. Impa has been in 7+ titles with a few of them being big/important roles and she was in the first Zelda game. Wolf has been in the same amount of games as Krystal has been in the Starfox series.

People still think Ghirahim has a chance? Well then.

Skull Kid is almost certainly the most popular of the one-off Zelda villains by a wide margin, and he didn't make it in. If Zelda gets a fifth rep I'm sure that it'll be Impa, an alternate form of Ganon (whether it's Toon Ganondorf or pig!Ganon), or Tingle.

Jagsrock

Banned
To be fair toon Ganondorf is the best and most in depth representation of him yet

very true I love toon ganondorf myself. he would definitely make a good addition to the roster. It is a bit sad though that skyward sword is kind of getting bypassed.

Dryk

I don't agree that Sylveon is likely but I see the logic behind it, considering Sylveon was one of, if not the first sixth gen Pokemon revealed and had a lot of marketing behind it, a trend which a lot agree is what would constitute a Pokemon's eligibility (see: Lucario, Plusle/Minun, Pichu). Unlike previous Eeveelutions it's the first one to be added by itself and without at least one other like Espeon/Umbreon and Leafeon/Glaceon, and it represents one of the biggest new additions to Gen VI, the Fairy Type.
More importantly it has prehensile flesh ribbons so it's moveset would be easier to invent than any of the others.

Random but:

3782_666231100105781_947667670_n.jpg

If PSABR played just like Smash Bros., I would've been playing it. I know far too many people like that, and it's sad that they just steal Smash's "identity" but they didn't completely rip the gameplay formula.. What a bizarre decision IMO.

It sucks because I bet it would've done a lot better, but now we probably won't see a sequel.

Kokonoe

Banned
Random but:

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/3782_666231100105781_947667670_n.jpg[/MG]

If PSABR played just like Smash Bros., I would've been playing it. I know far too many people like that, and it's sad that they just steal Smash's "identity" but they didn't completely rip the gameplay formula.. What a bizarre decision IMO.

It sucks because I bet it would've done a lot better, but now we probably won't see a sequel.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MafgZ8bWK1I"]There's this.[/URL]

J-Tier

It sucks because I bet it would've done a lot better, but now we probably won't see a sequel.

Dunno if I like this belief. Your opinion though.

-Horizon-

It's a shame too, I would love an extremely fabulous character a combination magic/sword wielder, which I don't think we've had yet.

Zelda has a sword!
in her TP art I think lol

Fabulousness aside (lol) I think this is why we need MU from Fire Emblem. Sword and tome user. Have female and male alts. Boom.

Random but:

3782_666231100105781_947667670_n.jpg

Building a meter as the only way to "kill" and score. Who thought this was a good idea?

Top Bottom