• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Fiktion

Banned
Dead serious, but you're not going to see any of them playable anyway~

Palutena wasn't much of a character before Uprising (just like everyone else from KI). She's not really much of a character after, either.

Oh boy, are you willing to avatar bet on this? Because that's easy money.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Seriously, Super Smash Bros 4 should have awesome intro trailer that are on par with Super Smash Bros Melee's Intro trailer. I really want an amazing trailer that we would watch it repeatedly without getting tired of it. Once we completed Super Smash Bros 4 with unlocking everything, then they should award us with new intro trailer with all characters in. I wish. :(

What do you think the safest bet unannounced characters are?

I can't really tell right now, but I think I would play it safe by assuming everyone aren't safest characters.

A little of both.

I don't really have any expectation since I always play it safe but I would be disappointed if Snake, Takamaru, Palutena, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Laughing Dog/Duck Hunt Dog, and Isaac wouldn't make in the game. Again, I wouldn't be THAT disappointed tho since I have no expectation, unlike my hype from Brawl.

The only newcomer I really hope for is Ridley. If he was in I would be completely happy with the roster.

I don't expect it of course, I just hope.

rcIyNLx.gif

That's adorable.

Caladrius

The only newcomer I really hope for is Ridley. If he was in I would be completely happy with the roster.

I don't expect it of course, I just hope.

Same here. I would really like Waluigi too, but I have zero hope he's getting in since they chose Rose. They seem to have done a good job with her so I'm not terribly disappointed.

Masked Man

I said wow
Toon Zelda is only acceptable if that also means Tetra. I would be okay to say farewell to Sheik if it meant that we would get SS Impa or WW Tetra to fill the gap of "speedy Zelda character".

The only real criticism I can leverage against Uprising's cast is really in how much they diminished Medusa's character for the sake of building up Hades. I'm not a big fan of it even if Hades is hilarious. It's also another reason why whenever people talked about KI getting 2 more reps I wanted Medusa in over everyone else after Palutena. You get the original trio and Medusa has a "second chance" to get Uprising tier characterization.

Imagine if she was a spiteful actress and would constantly have "codecs" where she'd just rag of other Kid Icarus characters because she was bitter about how she didn't get any good lines/scenes in Uprising?

I see your point, and I agree that Medusa essentially got shafted in favor of creating a more menacing, all-powerful villain. That said, I would be thrilled to see her join the fray as well! Honestly, KI:U's female cast is so good that I would hold no objections to Sakurai including all of them. Hell yes, Phosphora! :D

I'm pretty glad that I don't really care about who the newcomers are. The roster in Brawl is just about perfect to me and there are not really any new characters I have a strong desire to see playable. The closest ones are Little Mac and Dixie Kong but I wouldn't be heartbroken if they didn't make it.

I can think of a few characters off the top of my head that I don't want: Chrom, King K. Rool, and Krystal. Aside from them, Sakurai can add whoever the heck he wants as long as they're fun and unique (bonus points if they're surprising).

Fandangox

Note that he's nowhere to be seen now. Avatar bets serve an important purpose; they separate the trolls from the true believers.

No, I am genuinely puzzled, I never played Uprising, so I don;t know much about the personality of the Uprising cast. I am just puzzled as to what he means by "character" and why would that get in the way of a smash rep, considering the various different reasons characters get chosen for the game.

Berordn

What if I gave you 2:1 odds? If I win, I change your avatar for 3 months. If you win, you change mine for 6.

I'm quite happy with mine and I'm not mean-spirited enough to change anyone else's.

Uh, what do you mean by this?

She only exists in backstory and has very little screen time in the first Kid Icarus. OM&M barely counts since Japan first got it two years ago and her role is similarly minor there. It isn't until KI:U and its supporting promotional material that we've seen any of her personality and character and to be honest, she's pretty flat. Most of the other characters in KI:U are tropes as well, and she's no exception.

The series is going back into stasis, if current word of mouth holds true, and Pit's been updated to represent KI:U all on his own. I don't see any reason for there to be a second Kid Icarus rep and I don't think Palutena's relevant enough on the whole to exist in Smash Bros without representing something like Rosalina does (last gen's Galaxy games).

Note that he's nowhere to be seen now. Avatar bets serve an important purpose; they separate the trolls from the true believers.

Some of us have to get ready for bed, sweetie.

She only exists in backstory and has very little screen time in the first Kid Icarus. OM&M barely counts since Japan first got it two years ago and her role is similarly minor there. It isn't until KI:U and its supporting promotional material that we've seen any of her personality and character and to be honest, she's pretty flat. Most of the other characters in KI:U are tropes as well, and she's no exception.

The series is going back into stasis, if current word of mouth holds true, and Pit's been updated to represent KI:U all on his own. I don't see any reason for there to be a second Kid Icarus rep and I don't think Palutena's relevant enough on the whole to exist in Smash Bros without representing something like Rosalina does (last gen's Galaxy games).

I agree with that. She just doesn't have that much behind her. Not saying it's impossible, but I don't see it happening.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

I think you are going overboard with avatar bets because you don't agree with them so you had to challenge them with avatar bets. That's what I see for last three weeks. Mainly with Zelda's moves vs. Assist Trophy.

Just take a breath if you are going to attack other members.

Fandangox

The series is going back into stasis, if current word of mouth holds true, and Pit's been updated to represent KI:U all on his own. I don't see any reason for there to be a second Kid Icarus rep and I don't think Palutena's relevant enough on the whole to exist in Smash Bros without representing something like Rosalina does (last gen's Galaxy

But

image.php

??????

Fiktion

Banned
I think you are going overboard with avatar bets because you don't agree with them so you had to challenge them with avatar bets. That's what I see for last three weeks. Mainly with Zelda's moves vs. Assist Trophy.

Just take a breath if you are going to attack on other members.

You'd have to be reeeeally tragically sensitive to think that a bet is an "attack." Chill.

Fandangox

WFT represents a multimillion dollar franchise. HFT is because I like the men.

If HFT really is an alt (I remain unconvinced on anything until it's confirmed in plain text), then it's still just one character.

I meant for both, not just the male wii fit trainer. Your reasoning is Wii Fit Trainer represents a series that sells well, but we already know that's not the only thing that its needed to have a character in Smash. Characters get decided on popularity (that might include how well received a character is, and could include sales), through moveset potential, also chosen if there's something unique about them (i.e Ice Climbers), to represent a RETRO franchise.

I can see Palutena being in the game really easily.

Berordn

I meant for both, not just the male wii fit trainer. Your reasoning is Wii Fit Trainer represents a series that sells well, but we already know that's not the only thing that its needed to have a character in Smash. Characters get decided on popularity (that might include how well received a character is, and could include sales), through moveset potential, also chosen if there's something unique about them (i.e Ice Climbers), to represent a RETRO franchise.

I can see Palutena being in the game really easily.

Popularity's got nothing to do with it, in interviews Sakurai's said it's about uniqueness and representation - bringing series old and new that would be commonly overlooked and characters that are unique in some way. WFT and Villager have both qualities of bringing two series that haven't had playable representation in Smash Brothers before with very unique qualities for both. Kid Icarus already has Pit representing his whole franchise.

Sure, she could show up, but she's not adding anything to Smash Bros. in any of the ways he's mentioned so far. We know very little of his selection criteria for this game either way (just that it's changed enough from Brawl to include characters he's turned down for previous entries).

Fandangox

Popularity's got nothing to do with it, in interviews Sakurai's said it's about uniqueness and representation - bringing series old and new that would be commonly overlooked and characters that are unique in some way. WFT and Villager have both qualities of bringing two series that haven't had playable representation in Smash Brothers before with very unique qualities for both. Kid Icarus already has Pit representing his whole franchise.

Sure, she could show up, but she's not adding anything to Smash Bros. in any of the ways he's mentioned so far. We know very little of his selection criteria for this game either way (just that it's changed enough from Brawl to include characters he's turned down for previous entries).

Isn't popularity the reason why Wolf got in? And if popularity has nothing to do with it, why would mentioning that Wii Fit Series sells well be needed at all?

Sakurai has also been quoted as saying he thought of Smash while designing Kid Icarus Uprising which is why some people have speculated that Palutenia or Magnus could be playable in the next Smash

Top Bottom