• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U & 3DS Thread 4: New Year, Old Arguments

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I like these.

Also Melee
ssbmsamusvsridley.gif

Didn't Sakurai intend to put Ridley in Melee but couldn't because he couldn't animate the tail properly? Hence no tail in the opening. But this goes along with Mach Rider being the original retro rep and not Ice Climbers.

Fiktion

Banned
The West only dislikes him because of his androgynous appearance.

He's a pretty deep character if you followed the entirety of the series.

That aside, I like the new Raiden as well, I was just asking in general if he'd replace Grey Fox as an AT. Either Raiden or the Beauty and the Beast Units.
Raiden was in PSABR. He is banned from Smash forever!

Village

The West only dislikes him because of his androgynous appearance.
That is untrue. There are plenty of Japanese mad androgynous characters that do well in the west. One of the most famous RPG protagonists, cloud put on a damn dress .

He's a pretty deep character if you followed the entirety of the series.
Not arguing depth, no one liked him because was super annoying in MGS2.

That aside, I like the new Raiden as well, I was just asking in general if he'd replace Grey Fox as an AT. Either Raiden or the Beauty and the Beast Units.
I am on the , " I don't think any metal gear solid related content is getting into smash until something MGS related this year gets announced for nintendo " team.

R0ckman

Sakurai gave us plenty of reason to doubt Villager and Megaman hasn't exactly been a lively character these last couple of years. They may have been highly wanted characters but we had almost no reason to actually expect them beyond blind hope.

When was Smash just a franchise about relevance? Mega Man had 2 new games a generation ago that sold well.

Didn't Sakurai intend to put Ridley in Melee but couldn't because he couldn't animate the tail properly? Hence no tail in the opening. But this goes along with Mach Rider being the original retro rep and not Ice Climbers.

Never heard that before, would love to know if this is true.
Also thanks for ruining the opening, I never noticed he didn't have a tail.

Most people dislike Raiden because of the bait and switch of MGS2. He was not what people were expecting, and many people got pissed. A lot of people still harbor resentment toward him for that reason.

Personally, I don't really care for him one way or the other.

ffdgh

My God.....All these years...how could I never notice that. Mind=blown.

It's just an old rumour from the Brawl days, but I figured it carried some weight because there legit is no tail.

Heh, well... I guess there's a reason for his tail not being there in the opening, but I don't think he was intended to be playable. If he was, I'd think he would've made it into Brawl.

Also love the meltdowns - y'all really never noticed he had no tail?

Shun

That is untrue. There are plenty of Japanese mad androgynous characters that do well in the west. One of the most famous RPG protagonists, cloud put on a damn dress .

Not arguing depth, no one liked him because was super annoying in MGS2.

I am on the , " I don't think any metal gear solid related content is getting into smash until something MGS related this year gets announced for nintendo " team.

Replacing Solid Snake with the superior Naked Snake because Snake Eater 3D came out could/would work. That universe has opened it's way in.

The androgynous part WAS part of why people disliked him here coupled with his girlfriend and the fact that Snake was nowhere to be seen till later on. Compared to Final Fantasy artstyle, there would be a lot more backlash towards androgyny in Metal Gear Solid considering the fan base and the setting and attitudes of each respective game.

His inexperience wasn't what made him annoying, it gave the player insight into what kind of character he was and the traumatic past experiences he's had as a child soldier. He shows a ton of character development and most fans really don't look past that.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Heh, well... I guess there's a reason for his tail not being there in the opening, but I don't think he was intended to be playable. If he was, I'd think he would've made it into Brawl.

Also love the meltdowns - y'all really never noticed he had no tail?

I admit I never noticed either, btw I think your avatar is pretty badass

I like these.

Also Melee
ssbmsamusvsridley.gif
To be honest, I think those are even a little bit too small, especially the drawn one. There's no reason why Ridley can't be the largest character in the cast by a decent margin, just as long as he isn't humungous.

Make him crawling on all fours as his default standing animation, ala Metroid Prime 3, and have him about Bowser's height at that point, maybe a little bit shorter. Then he opens up in the air and is all big tail hitboxes and general domination. I mean, even as a really big character he wouldn't necessarily have too huge of a reach, nothing much more than Charizard's Nair or Mewtwo's tail moves in PM. Plus, like Mewtwo, he could be hit when he sticks his tail out, making his large hitboxes also a detriment.

Grounded Ridley could play much more defensively, keeping himself close and just getting people away. Aerial Ridley, on the other hand, would be much more antagonistic. Really, PM!Charizard has a playstyle that would suit Ridley really well - just make him larger and maybe even a bit lighter.

Ridley not having a tail in the Melee opening is blowing my mind btw. Like what.

Village

Replacing Solid Snake with the superior Naked Snake because Snake Eater 3D came out could/would work. That universe has opened it's way in.
" its not about what have you done its about what have you done fore me lately "

The androgynous part WAS part of why people disliked him here coupled with his girlfriend and the fact that Snake was nowhere to be seen till later on. Compared to Final Fantasy artstyle, there would be a lot more backlash towards androgyny in Metal Gear Solid considering the fan base and the setting and attitudes of each respective game.
I believe it was the bait and switch, MGR did pretty decent and he was super androgynous in that one. I don't think androgyny has much to do with it.

His inexperience wasn't what made him annoying, it gave the player insight into what kind of character he was and the traumatic past experiences he's had as a child soldier. He shows a ton of character development and most fans really don't look past that.
No , I like tragic. What made him annoying was the dialogue.

He is prefectly fine in 4 and rising.

If Snake does come back he should be Naked Snake, but the 3DS port of Snake Eater was so bad that I'd have mixed feelings about it.

leroidys

Ridley being hunched over is true to character though.
Just for reference:
Super
metroid-ridley.gif

Zero Mission
Ridley_zm_Sprite.gif

Ridley-X
Ridley-X_mf_Sprite.png

He's been hunched over, squatting, or both in every 2D-based appearance.

Oh, absolutely. The thing is it looks really weird and stilted. He's usually just an awkward hunched hovering blob in the 2D games. If they were to fully animate him and realize him in 3D for this, I would rather them just shrink him to a size that would allow him to open up and be more, well, animated.

Man, we definitely need a CG opening like Melee's. I just really like how it shows part of each character's game. The introduction to the E3 2013 trailer was a awesome. I just want more CG scenes of characters representing their franchises.

Edit: Haha, it's interesting how the Pic of the Day comments on character sizes while there has been Ridley discussion.

Everyone talking about Ridley and his size... and we get a screenshot of Mario hanging with a bunch of "big guys".

Well now, ain't that an interesting coincidence.

Hah, "the big guys?" Yep, no way Ridley's playable. I feel bad for all you Ridley fans, but it's time to pack it in. The writing is and has been on the wall.

Watch Ridley get revealed tomorrow.

Top Bottom