• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

Lyte Edge said:
Just had my first notable rage-quitter..."Adinmo," IIRC. He had 2500+ PP and was using a 3200BP Bison. Rage quit in the second round while I had a perfect going.
I really hate quitters. I came up against a 6500bp Ryu last night I was expecting to get my ass kicked but it turned out to be a easy match but on the 2nd round when all I needed was a single hit to win he quits.

Boney

Banned
yoshinori_ono.jpg

lol Ono!!!! a troll you cannot hate.

btw guys, could I get some tippers on how to improve my game?
I'm almost completely new to this fighter.

I'm having trouble fighting AI at the Rival & Seth level.
They counter hit everything I do, monitoring my inputs and would grab/ EX(i think that's what you call it) or w/e it takes to mess me up.

is this an accurate picture of a good SFF fighter? or is the AI just OP and unrealistic like a
Lv9 in super smash bros.?

Barrett2

Up to 1,200 Battle Points using Balrog. ^_^

Just played a dude with 5,000 BP using Dudley. Complete annihilation! I couldnt lay a finger on him!

Poyunch

First online match in a while is a Blanka spammer, then I get a Guile spammer, and then I get beaten by a high rank player. Hmmmmm.

Boney

Banned
Lyte Edge said:
Just had my first notable rage-quitter..."Adinmo," IIRC. He had 2500+ PP and was using a 3200BP Bison. Rage quit in the second round while I had a perfect going.
you always beat me man :(

PounchEnvy said:
First online match in a while is a Blanka spammer, then I get a Guile spammer, and then I get beaten by a high rank player. Hmmmmm.
you gotta do the costum match

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Fuck, I'm shit with the nub and the d-pad gives me cramps when using the triggers :/
I'm soooo awful at this game and I haven't touched SFIV much despite having it on PC and playing all the SF2 (till super/turbo) "competively" back then in the arcade scene. Is there a nice guide, preferably for free online (or if paid I want it with proper pictures and timings) that I can use to learn to play this game?
Namely the combos, since challenge mode doesn't really help me out with figuring out timings or how to put them in my playstyle.
I'm a step away from selling this game, it seems really good but if I don't know how to play it... Meh.
Graphically it's very nice, but sincr I play it in 2 mode I have to say the freeze-framed backgrounds dullness bothers me more than I could imagine, less so in 3D but I think that is just a (distracting) novelty for a 2d fighter.

jlevel13

Dash Kappei said:
Fuck, I'm shit with the nub and the d-pad gives me cramps when using the triggers :/
I'm soooo awful at this game and I haven't touched SFIV much despite having it on PC and playing all the SF2 (till super/turbo) "competively" back then in the arcade scene. Is there a nice guide, preferably for free online (or if paid I want it with proper pictures and timings) that I can use to learn to play this game?

Definitely the controls aren't ideal, but one can pretty much get used to them with time. I think you just have to have a slightly more casual approach to this version and not worry so much about mastery, or the control quirks will get on your nerves. If you want to play more seriously, I say go back to the PC or console versions, which are superior in every way (except for portability).

As to a guide, best bets remain youtube searches or the srk forums, and also just putting time into the game and having fun, not worrying so much about winning or losing, just having fun and slowly working to get better, learn stuff, stop making the same dumb mistakes, getting used to the controls, etc.

Dash Kappei

jlevel13 said:
Definitely the controls aren't ideal, but one can pretty much get used to them with time. I think you just have to have a slightly more casual approach to this version and not worry so much about mastery, or the control quirks will get on your nerves. If you want to play more seriously, I say go back to the PC or console versions, which are superior in every way (except for portability).

As to a guide, best bets remain youtube searches or the srk forums, and also just putting time into the game and having fun, not worrying so much about winning or losing, just having fun and slowly working to get better, learn stuff, stop making the same dumb mistakes, getting used to the controls, etc.
Yeah, you're definitely right, I just think learning at least part of the combo system would take me a long way in ejoying the game more. I don't care if I loose, but I'd like to be competent enough to have more fun. I admit that I'd prefer having a written smallish (or ot) guide to print (or buy) with the moves pictured (or at least the proper -> sign for, say, right click instead of the R letter or whatever) instead of having to watch youtube videos for every combo/characters I like, or search for posts on the shoryuken forums).

DryEyeRelief, thanks man, those videos are fucking AWESOME.

I'm not sure if it would work for SF (I'm going off the fact that it's a 2D plain), but wouldn't it be cool if it utilised the 3D camera to create stages from photos/videos? You could take a picture or film a 30 second clip and then have them fight in front of it. You'd have to pick a 'plain' to fight on to make sure that the fighters were aligned, etc.

I mean, it wouldn't be the be all and end all, but it would be a pretty cool novelty to see Ken and Ryu fighting at the bus stop or in your living room..

jlevel13

Dash Kappei said:
I admit that I'd prefer having a written smallish (or ot) guide to print (or buy) with the moves pictured (or at least the proper -> sign for, say, right click instead of the R letter or whatever) instead of having to watch youtube videos for every combo/characters I like, or search for posts on the shoryuken forums).

There is a Super Street Fighter IV guide you can still pick up, going relatively cheap these days (not sure where you are but £8.69 from Amazon.co.uk).

Some people dislike eventhubs (may not be 100% accurate?), but you can print out their guides...
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

Also if you just pause the game you can scroll through the move list for any character.

Symphonic

Alright, I'm getting this tomorrow and have never touched Street Fighter IV. I played a bit of the older games, but nothing too serious and I was pretty much the worst player ever.

What should I expect? Any tips?

Poyunch

Ahhhh saw a really high level Blanka spammer. And many times I got close to killing him. If I had more time I would have got a ton points from him/her but my 3DS started blinking red so I had to charge it. >.< God those blinking lights are so scary.

Dash Kappei

jlevel13 said:
There is a Super Street Fighter IV guide you can still pick up, going relatively cheap these days (not sure where you are but £8.69 from Amazon.co.uk).

Some people dislike eventhubs (may not be 100% accurate?), but you can print out their guides...
http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2008/jul/08/street-fighter-4-strategy-guide-hints-and-tips/

Also if you just pause the game you can scroll through the move list for any character.
Thanks man, appreciated! I thought that pause mode only shows the regular moveset without combos and cancels/focus?
That online guide seems pretty good for my level anyway, and I can check it out on thd ipad while I play... Even more convenient than having it in paper form I guess, but I'm probably gonna nab the official guide off Amazon UK since that seems a pretty good price and hopefully a possible AE edition won't render it useless with different timings and whatnot.
Thanks again :)

lowblow said:
Alright, I'm getting this tomorrow and have never touched Street Fighter IV. I played a bit of the older games, but nothing too serious and I was pretty much the worst player ever.

What should I expect? Any tips?

Try to have fun: find a character or which that interest you enough and try to learn how to play with them instead of always changing character, play a lot of AI matches before even trying online, don't get too pissed at the controls and choose LITE controls mode.
You will SUCK. That is normal, don't get depressed :p

Celine

Yesterday I checked the total hours I've put in it in these 20 or so days...
more than 36 already o_O

It's Mario Kart DS kind of numbers for me.

Does someone have suggestion on how evade/counterattack a player that try to grab you just when you get up ?
I find very hard to do the counter with Honda online .

EDIT:
BTW I encountered one guy that use Guile that set always his match as a one round with only 30 seconds in it.
Lovely bastard :)

-PXG-

I just got a 3DS along with Super eariler today. Going from a TE to handheld controls wasn't so hard at all. But how do you do heavy attacks? I can only do light and medium attacks. I know how to do grabs, focus (can even pull off FADCs, even with the small nub thingy). And the online? How is it? Laggy? Decent competition?

Also, although I play as Bison, I find it unfair that I can pull off a charge move with a press of a button. Seems kind of OP.

The Hermit

Pandoracell said:
I'm finding the dpad much better for movement, but for pulling off any kind of moves I much prefer the circle pad, so I actually jump back and forth between the two during a match.

I think charge characters are better with the circle pad, especially for the ultras. I can't FADC with the circle ( I already couldn't with the analog though), but with the dpad its piss easy.

Also I am playing with PRO mode with throw and Focus on the L and R triggers and in the touch screen 1- all punches 2- Light punch 3- all kicks 4 Light kick. Doing most of the trials this way. I also go back and forth with the dpas/circle pad.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
taku said:
Damn it, rage quitting on 3DS must be the most pathetic thing ever! I mean, come on!
It sucks. just got the game and have 0 bp.

If I'm actually about to win these d-bags quit, smh

Ysiadmihi

Banned
daakusedo said:
L=throw R= focus
1=3punch 2=lp 3=3kick 4= lk
A=mk B=sk X=mp Y=sp

Thanks, I just got used to the default setting though (just switched out 3 for an extra heavy punch cause using the L trigger feels awkward at times).

If anyone wants to play some time my friend code is 4167-4495-4559.

Has anyone had problems with lag while online? It feels like I can get 2-3 non laggy games, then I'll get 1-2 VERY laggy games. l'm thinking it might be my router's wireless causing the issues but I don't have another router to try at the moment to confirm that.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
StickSoldier said:
Has anyone had problems with lag while online? It feels like I can get 2-3 non laggy games, then I'll get 1-2 VERY laggy games. l'm thinking it might be my router's wireless causing the issues but I don't have another router to try at the moment to confirm that.

The game really needs a connection indicator like in the console version.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Connection quality can vary.

I've taken to playing 3D battles lately. It changes things up just enough to keep things feeling a bit fresh, and makes for a nice "break" from the regular battles.

I'd really like to try playing with the lights mapped to the touch screen and go for a six button face setup, but it just feels two awkward.

This game makes me pretty angry at times and I tend to be a pretty level headed guy.

The worst is when I lose a couple in a row and decide that need to make up the losses with wins and only end up losing more because I'm frustrated.

Cant wait to pick up Arcade Edition when it comes out now.

Top Bottom