• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter IV 3D edition |OT| Lets take this outside!

I know I'm late, but good games for the past week or so Boney. I'm the Vega(Claw) you have been running into from time to time. Xenoetry is the tag.

kiryogi

Banned
Gotta say the lag is pretty awful at times, at least for me. Pretty frustrating compared to playing the console versions. But as some have said, the novelty of being able to play it portable like this keeps me going at times. Especially with PSN down currently.

ShinNL

This is the only game I have, so I play it a lot. But does anyone have the left corner of the top screen poke on their index finger while playing with a d-pad? You don't get it with the nub, but since I only play pro-mode and have my whole left hand more tilted and slightly lower than usual, I'm really starting to notice this design flaw. That corner is pretty sharp, man.

Soneet said:
This is the only game I have, so I play it a lot. But does anyone have the left corner of the top screen poke on their index finger while playing with a d-pad? You don't get it with the nub, but since I only play pro-mode and have my whole left hand more tilted and slightly lower than usual, I'm really starting to notice this design flaw. That corner is pretty sharp, man.
I know lots of people play with the D-pad, but I have no idea how you do it. I don't even have large fingers, and I have trouble inputing a single direction at one time. Its so tiny! The slide pad is definitely not perfect - its really hard for me to dash consistently because its got such a large travel distance from center-l/r. Sometimes I even reach to the D-Pad when I really need to dash.

What do you guys think about the competition on 3DS vs. 360/PS3? I'm a crappy C-rank 'Rog player, and I always search for players of similar skill. It almost always gives me a D/D+ player, and I'll beat those guys 90% of the time (other 10% I'm being too aggressive or get caught not paying attention). On 360, I might win 25% of my matches. Do I suck less than I think, or is the competition way worse on the 3DS?

I don't know how you guys do it. I played the game for about 30 minutes and my left thumb was screaming in pain. You guys have small hands or is there a different way to address this?

d-pad placement has me ready to sell this thing.

abstract alien said:
I've ran into a few people who I would have sworn had a tournament stick hooked into an imaginary gba port. FADCs everywhere lol
Damn - I have never seen a FADC on 3DS. Plus, yeah that shit is hard on the 3DS, especially since I miss half my dash inputs with the slide pad and can't use the D-pad effectively. Maybe I'll try fighting "any" skill instead of similar to my own...

kiryogi said:
Gotta say the lag is pretty awful at times, at least for me. Pretty frustrating compared to playing the console versions. But as some have said, the novelty of being able to play it portable like this keeps me going at times. Especially with PSN down currently.
I've had some matches that are glorified slide shows, and some that are butter smooth. It's weird, I've no clue why there's so much disparity.

Overall I'd say it's been a definite step up from TVC, but not on par with 360 SF4/SSF4.

The Hermit

abstract alien said:
I've ran into a few people who I would have sworn had a tournament stick hooked into an imaginary gba port. FADCs everywhere lol

FADC using the setup I posted is quite easy actually, so easy I actually missed Ryu's FADC ultra because I didn't waited a bit before performing his ultra.

BTW, I have 83% of all trials so far, only completed T.Hawk for now. I am having a lot of trouble with Vega last trial and E.Honda too. I think I can pull the most of the rest if I try hard enough.

ShinNL

I've completed all challenges of like 8 characters so far, but for Vega I cheated and activated lite mode. I ain't buffering that charge nonsense on that d-pad xD

By the way, I'm from the tilt-generation and not the slide-generation, so everything is like 5 times faster for me on the d-pad than the analog. Plus I always accidentally jump and stuff with the analog, so that's a big no-no for me.

I guess you guys don't match up with Europeans? I've seen plenty of tournament-level combos (though the majority of players are pretty flowcharty). Maybe it's because I only play in custom lobbies with pro-mode only players.

I myself do 1 frame SJC into Ultra stuff with C.Viper and Ibuki, lol. People usually don't rematch the moment I succeed pulling it off online though... :(

I never owned the Super version personally (only had PC version of vanilla), so I'm really enjoying the new characters. Guy is really awesome with the dash cancels :D

The Hermit

Soneet said:
I've completed all challenges of like 8 characters so far, but for Vega I cheated and activated lite mode. I ain't buffering that charge nonsense on that d-pad xD

By the way, I'm from the tilt-generation and not the slide-generation, so everything is like 5 times faster for me on the d-pad than the analog. Plus I always accidentally jump and stuff with the analog, so that's a big no-no for me.

I guess you guys don't match up with Europeans? I've seen plenty of tournament-level combos (though the majority of players are pretty flowcharty). Maybe it's because I only play in custom lobbies with pro-mode only players.

I myself do 1 frame SJC into Ultra stuff with C.Viper and Ibuki, lol. People usually don't rematch the moment I succeed pulling it off online though... :(

I never owned the Super version personally (only had PC version of vanilla), so I'm really enjoying the new characters. Guy is really awesome with the dash cancels :D

I am in the same situtation, though I love Mak. BTW how do you do the SJC? I just got in the last Ibuki trial that has that, but I have no ideia how to pull it.
I agree about the slide pad, but I prefer charge characters on it...

ShinNL

Baiano19 said:
I am in the same situtation, though I love Mak. BTW how do you do the SJC? I just got in the last Ibuki trial that has that, but I have no ideia how to pull it.
I agree about the slide pad, but I prefer charge characters on it...
SJC -> Ultra is pretty easy actually. Like with Ibuki, you just do:
standing LP, MP, HP -> d, df, f, d, df, f, fu -> 3xHK
So you basically do the Ultra motion but you end with a 'fu' note so it registers both as the Ultra motion and the 'd, u' super jump motion. By doing specials exactly on the super jump, you cancel the jump into the special which you can't normally chain into. With this trick you can hit confirm quite easily into Ultra with C.Viper and Ibuki from a lot of moves without using meter.

I have a hard time making Makoto actually work. I know she's buffed a lot in AE.

I actually can't play charge characters with the 3DS version. The analog pad annoys me for the random jumps and me not holding the diagonals correctly so I sometimes don't crouch or don't block. But with the d-pad my hand gets cramps by putting so much continuous pressure in an awkward position.

Vega is doable since I don't charge continuously with his mobility, but someone like E.Honda or Guile makes you feel like you're practicing chords on a guitar as a first-timer :p

Boney

Banned
abstract alien said:
I know I'm late, but good games for the past week or so Boney. I'm the Vega(Claw) you have been running into from time to time. Xenoetry is the tag.
*mind blown*

don't remember

daakusedo

I changed the position of the strong punch and kick with light from the setup I posted because it couldn't let you keep l and m fuhajin with Juri. Now I hope it doesn't create new problems.

Boney

Banned
man i'm still pissed, managed to get to 2600 and my brother dropped me down to 1000, never got back on track :(

kiryogi

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
I've had some matches that are glorified slide shows, and some that are butter smooth. It's weird, I've no clue why there's so much disparity.

Overall I'd say it's been a definite step up from TVC, but not on par with 360 SF4/SSF4.

I think what's also hurting it for me is the 30FPS... and that plus lag = lawlz D: Trying to play an execution heavy character becomes hopeless.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I'm still around the 3000PP range. I think the highest I got to was about 3300, then I lost some and got knocked down to as low as 1900 or so at one point and have worked back up to 3000 again.

PP is really meaningless in this version of the game, though. It's so easy to get a ton of it by beating lite mode users who get their own high PP with grapplers/auto-block. They're easy to beat and they have no clue how to actually play the game, so they're pushovers when it hits then that spamming the 360 touch panel isn't going to work.

Skilletor

abstract alien said:
For the love of God, I pray they are right...but I don't believe so :^/

Seems easy enough to prove, right? Also seems like something the people on these boards would have noticed immediately.

Boney

Banned
I just fight with the the 3d off in the slider, cause of the added anti alliasing or whatever, makes the game look much better, so I wouldn't know

ShinNL

So anyone else learned the hard way that you need to reactivate Street Pass to get your new team fighting? I hit my 1st SSF4 street pass, got owned 5-0. I was so surprised, I thought I had a decent team... then I noticed all the characters weren't my current ones but like my 1st ever team :(

sfried

abstract alien said:
Nope. Max is 30fps online, always.
Not true. Had 60fps matches. People don't realize that both parties have to have 3D disabled in options menu (slider doesn't count).

As for laggy online, I've encounted only one so far that was giving me problems. But other than that other matches went smoothly. Maybe attributed to the fact I am using FiOS.

sfried

Boney said:
I just fight with the the 3d off in the slider, cause of the added anti alliasing or whatever, makes the game look much better, so I wouldn't know
And there's your problem. Go to the options menu and switch 3D off from there. That would allow you to be able to take on matches with 60fps...if the other player also manages to have 3D switched of via options (and judging by your post, that's not all the time).

Capcom should've just put a "Slider lock" functionality so that you can't change 3D depth settings midgame and "cheat" via frame-slowing. It would also automatically just let you play as 3D off when you have the slider all the way down.

ShinNL

sfried said:
And there's your problem. Go to the options menu and switch 3D off from there. That would allow you to be able to take on matches with 60fps...if the other player also manages to have 3D switched of via options (and judging by your post, that's not all the time).

Capcom should've just put a "Slider lock" functionality so that you can't change 3D depth settings midgame and "cheat" via frame-slowing. It would also automatically just let you play as 3D off when you have the slider all the way down.
Hah, thanks for this. Kind of shocking to suddenly see everything run smooth as butter.

mooooose

How are you guys doing any advanced comboing in this game? I'm trying to main Ryu and do things like Focus Cancelling (this is my first fighter) but trying to pull of a Shoryuken on this shitty circle pad or extra small d-pad is impossible enough. Then when you do get it, you don't have enough time to consistently dash out of the Focus attack to set up your next move.

It's horrible. Are you guys able to do this kind of stuff or do I just suck?

hamchan

mooooose said:
How are you guys doing any advanced comboing in this game? I'm trying to main Ryu and do things like Focus Cancelling (this is my first fighter) but trying to pull of a Shoryuken on this shitty circle pad or extra small d-pad is impossible enough. Then when you do get it, you don't have enough time to consistently dash out of the Focus attack to set up your next move.

It's horrible. Are you guys able to do this kind of stuff or do I just suck?
You're sucking. I can pull off DP, FADC, Ultra like 75% of the time using the d-pad and I consider myself a very bad player.

mooooose

hamchan said:
You're sucking. I can pull off DP, FADC, Ultra like 75% of the time using the d-pad and I consider myself a very bad player.
How are you doing your DP? I have so much trouble consistently pulling off Shoryukens unlike anything else...

hamchan

mooooose said:
How are you doing your DP? I have so much trouble consistently pulling off Shoryukens unlike anything else...

I'm doing them on the d-pad. The smallness of it is actually good I think as it means you can hit the directions faster. I just keep my thumb on the d-pad and do the DP motion. My thumb never really feels like it ever leaves the d-pad. Just keep practicing it in training mode until you do say, 10 in a row. You'll get it eventually if you just keep doing it.

For DP->FADC->Ultra stuff:

Also keep practicing each individual part. If you can do DP consistently, FADC consistently, and the ultra consistently, then it's just a matter of doing it one after another.

For the DP->FADC motion I find I keep holding forward after I do it, then i only need to press forward once after the FADC instead of twice. Try it in training, just hold forward then press mp+mk then another forward quickly. Might help you getting the ultra out a bit faster after it.

Anyways hope this stuff helps. Just keep practicing, you'll probably find your own way to do it consistently.

fionel

sfried said:

Dude, I think you should stop spreading this falsity about the game being able to run at 60fps ONLINE. I tried it with a friend and it did not work - we both had 3D turned off in the option menu.

Maybe you were just misperceived when you thought you got those 60fps matches.

mooooose

hamchan said:
For the DP->FADC motion I find I keep holding forward after I do it, then i only need to press forward once after the FADC instead of twice. Try it in training, just hold forward then press mp+mk then another forward quickly. Might help you getting the ultra out a bit faster after it.
This was great advice. I can pull off a Shoryuken + FADC much better now and with a lot of speed.. enough to get the command for the ultra out, but I always freeze up after the FADC. I just need practice I guess.

And I have to still make the full transition to the d-pad... quarter circles are easier on the analog stick but dashes and diagonals are waaaaay easier on the d-pad. Also controlling jumps. Overall, the game controls better but I'm weak in a crucial area on the d-pad... quarter circles.

sfried said:
Not true. Had 60fps matches. People don't realize that both parties have to have 3D disabled in options menu (slider doesn't count).

As for laggy online, I've encounted only one so far that was giving me problems. But other than that other matches went smoothly. Maybe attributed to the fact I am using FiOS.
I've never been so happy to be completely and utterly wrong about something. Thanks :^)

ShinNL

mooooose said:
This was great advice. I can pull off a Shoryuken + FADC much better now and with a lot of speed.. enough to get the command for the ultra out, but I always freeze up after the FADC. I just need practice I guess.

And I have to still make the full transition to the d-pad... quarter circles are easier on the analog stick but dashes and diagonals are waaaaay easier on the d-pad. Also controlling jumps. Overall, the game controls better but I'm weak in a crucial area on the d-pad... quarter circles.
Remember it's a tilt system. You're not supposed to draw a smiley face. I'm surprised there are people out there who can deal with using the slide pad. It's like comparing rocking your chair to sliding your chair all across the room.

mooooose

Soneet said:
Remember it's a tilt system. You're not supposed to draw a smiley face. I'm surprised there are people out there who can deal with using the slide pad. It's like comparing rocking your chair to sliding your chair all across the room.
I don't understand what you're saying... what's a tilt system?

And I can pull off Shoryken + FADC + EX Hadoken but I can't do my Ultra... I just don't have enough time. I can do that combo like every 1/5 times.

ShinNL

mooooose said:
I don't understand what you're saying... what's a tilt system?

And I can pull off Shoryken + FADC + EX Hadoken but I can't do my Ultra... I just don't have enough time. I can do that combo like every 1/5 times.
You have to tilt the D-pad from the center. If you don't have enough time you're probably not rocking your thumb enough and making too much excess movement.

Here's a video I made of how I control the game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12N5My6Sago

gimz

how many people still play this game often? i still play it almost everyday since launch (cuz i only have 2 game for 3DS)

i have been only playing online match with random people, but now im thinking of add some players here for friendly matches ;)

my fc is 2664-2106-5668

Top Bottom