• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

macklelol

I can't play using the touchscreen to save my life.

It's mostly the swipes and drags that really throw me off. It's a lot easier to rely on the sticks for that (and even that is pretty clunky).

...maybe jumping straight into 12* songs isn't going to help me here.

I can't play using the touchscreen to save my life.

It's mostly the swipes and drags that really throw me off. It's a lot easier to rely on the sticks for that (and even that is pretty clunky).

...maybe jumping straight into 12* songs isn't going to help me here.

That's my problem with the touchscreen, I'd definitely play that way if the swipes and drags didn't give me trouble.

How are you supposed to pronounce "Xonic" anyway?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, I kind of pronounce it the same way you would my name. Though "Ex" seems like an appropriate way of saying it as well.

Falk

that puzzling face
I sneeze at the start of "sonic".

Real talk though, considering the terms "X-OTIC" etc. a phonetic X is plausible.

And considering the term "XONiC The LiVE" is a thing I'm just not going to worry too much about proper English usage for this.

Zareka

I'd suggest using the touchscreen instead of buttons. It's clear that the game was designed for the touchscreen, though it's nice that they put in the button option for those who can't take the former.

Eeuuuuggghh. If there's one thing I hate using touch controls on, it's the Vita. It's uncomfortable as all hell stretching over to the screen.

Well, I've tried practicing with some easier songs and I'm managing to All Combo them on 6trax which is alright. The problem comes when I try even slightly speedier songs...because I end up spending all my time trying not to drop the Vita. I've never had a problem with the system before but good Christ it's absolutely awful to hold with this game. My fingers scrunch up unnaturally trying to hit the shoulders, triggers and face buttons at the same time while also trying to keep the things held up. Guess I'll keep at it or invest in a grip for this Vita.

Anyway enough negativity. I'm really enjoying the game and if I was actually any good I'd love these beatmaps miles over P4D's. I hope with time I'll get at least half decent and maybe find a way a human can comfortably hold a Vita.
Edit:Holy macaroni I just had experience with a 11 difficulty 6trax song. That's like, not even the highest difficulty combination and I will literally never achieve a pass in it. My future in this game is quickly looking very nonexistent.
Oh, we're settling on "Zonic"? That's how I've been reading it, but I know I'm pretty terrible at pronouncing things so I expected others to be going with "Sonic", so... nice.
I just figured it'd be the same as anything with "Xeno" at the start. Xenoblade. Xenomorph.

BTA

Oh, we're settling on "Zonic"? That's how I've been reading it, but I know I'm pretty terrible at pronouncing things so I expected others to be going with "Sonic", so... nice.

macklelol

fuck
6uB3Xp2.jpg

not the best start to the new year

The "Canon" is Sonic

Oh and we have two nominations, the polls should close today
blog.us.playstation.com/2015/12/18/vote-now-ps-blog-game-of-the-year-2015-awards/

I don't play much of the top tier of hardcore rhythm games so I don't know if this is common, but this game barely has an easy mode. Some of the songs' 4trax chart I cannot see a rhythm game novice surviving long. I'm playing 4trax Stargazer and I'm realizing that it's more difficult than nearly every Hatsune Miku Mirai song on hard that I've been playing.

dkoy

I don't play much of the top tier of hardcore rhythm games so I don't know if this is common, but this game barely has an easy mode. Some of the songs' 4trax chart I cannot see a rhythm game novice surviving long. I'm playing 4trax Stargazer and I'm realizing that it's more difficult than nearly every Hatsune Miku Mirai song on hard that I've been playing.

Not sure how mirai plays since I've only played the Project diva f games but Stargazer is one of the harder songs on all modes. I'd say there's plenty of selection for novices with the easier songs on 4trax.

Falk

that puzzling face
Not sure how mirai plays since I've only played the Project diva f games but Stargazer is one of the harder songs on all modes. I'd say there's plenty of selection for novices with the easier songs on 4trax.

At the same time Xonic -is- pretty hardcore. It goes back to this post:

2) NM/HD/MX or at least two difficulties per configuration per track. I presume that no keysounds and a consolidated BGA scheme exists to be able to get more gameplay out of the same amount of effort/resources (also easier licensing), so having one difficulty per track very confusingly runs counter to that. Multiple difficulties per track lets players of various skill levels have much more content for a very reasonable additional man-hour investment. ESPECIALLY considering people who might be enticed to come over from P4D/Theatrhythm/Miku might simply be intimidated and stuck only being able to play 3-5 songs at entry skill level.

The game could have rather easily (no pun intended) had a lot more content for entry level AND expert level (which kinda is put into World Tour) with different difficulty charts for each track.

IIDX has been going on forever and unsurprisingly does this.

dkoy

At the same time Xonic -is- pretty hardcore. It goes back to this post:

The game could have rather easily (no pun intended) had a lot more content for entry level AND expert level (which kinda is put into World Tour) with different difficulty charts for each track.

IIDX has been going on forever and unsurprisingly does this.

While I do agree that it would have been nice to have multiple difficulties for each configuration rather than the configuration being the difficulty change, I still think there's quite a lot of songs that are novice friendly in both 4 and 6 trax. I'm not sure what budget Nurijoy was running on for Xonic but I think music licensing took a fair chunk of it.

Falk

that puzzling face
While I do agree that it would have been nice to have multiple difficulties for each configuration rather than the configuration being the difficulty change, I still think there's quite a lot of songs that are novice friendly in both 4 and 6 trax. I'm not sure what budget Nurijoy was running on for Xonic but I think music licensing took a fair chunk of it.

Actually, I think I'd probably amend my post to say people new to music games, rather than people who already play TT/P4D/Miku/etc. The skill gap for rhythm games is massive, and even "novice" or "expert" covers a lot of ground.

edit: Nevermind, had a huge-ass brainfart on that second part rofl

macklelol

After getting 94% a dozen times:

At last, World Tour mode is complete! All that's left for me is to get 1000 plays done and finish up clearing everything on 4T, and the plat will be mine.

The last DJ icon you unlock... why.

EDIT: Actually, this last DJ makes grinding out 1000 plays easier.

After getting 94% a dozen times:

At last, World Tour mode is complete! All that's left for me is to get 1000 plays done and finish up clearing everything on 4T, and the plat will be mine.

The last DJ icon you unlock... why.

EDIT: Actually, this last DJ makes grinding out 1000 plays easier.

Damn! Congrats on the Platinum, that looks to be like one of the more difficult ones! What is the last DJ Icon?

macklelol

Damn! Congrats on the Platinum, that looks to be like one of the more difficult ones! What is the last DJ Icon?

The last icon gives you
500% EXP and 500% HP. With it, you can clear a song like Morning Calm on 4Trax while on easy difficulty without having to actually hit any notes lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sweet, been checking every day if that patch was up yet to get myself back to playing this. I just hope after a month of not playing, I don't lose all of my skill.

Roubjon

Yoooo, Matador 6Trax is insanely fun. And Nodding Hawk Ex 6Trax made my head hurt, but I feel like I got better at the game after playing it lol.

FluxWaveZ

So I've finished all of the World Tour stages until Club: KAMASUTRA's Normal difficulty stage. It's asking me to finish 5 of these 6Trax songs with JUD. 95%, but I can't even get through Voodoo Groove without just messing the whole thing up. I'm no rhythm game pro; is this the point where I should give up?

macklelol

So I've finished all of the World Tour stages until Club: KAMASUTRA's Normal difficulty stage. It's asking me to finish 5 of these 6Trax songs with JUD. 95%, but I can't even get through Voodoo Groove without just messing the whole thing up. I'm no rhythm game pro; is this the point where I should give up?

I would just skip that one for now and come back to it later. 6 Eleven is stupidly hard, and you'll have to practice a whole lot if you want to clear it.

I would suggest bumping up the speed to 3.0 or 3.5x if you haven't already. Getting a 60 Shield/Fever Shield DJ Icon from either leveling up (I think it was in the high 90s) or from kama sutra's hard mission will help a lot as well.

FluxWaveZ

I would just skip that one for now and come back to it later. 6 Eleven is stupidly hard, and you'll have to practice a whole lot if you want to clear it.

I would suggest bumping up the speed to 3.0 or 3.5x if you haven't already. Getting a 60 Shield/Fever Shield DJ Icon from either leveling up (I think it was in the high 90s) or from kama sutra's hard mission will help a lot as well.

Hm, yeah, I could just skip it. I guess I just assumed everything forward from that would just be as difficult, or even harder.

My speed's pretty much always at 3.0; perhaps shifting to 3.5 could help, but I dunno if it'll make too much of a difference at this point. A lot of shields are good, though I still need to be accurate enough when I need a high judgement to pass.

Thanks, I'll look at the alternatives and see if I can continue forward.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Eeeehhhhh, I'd be for that Love Live Collection, but I don't want a longer "No Way Out"....even if a longer "All Night Long" is tempting.

Also why do Party 4U, DINO, & Libera Me have the same visual art? I mean, with Magical Beat, it makes sense since it's from the game game. Is it just because it's all by the same artist, Cranky?

new to the game. this game is harder than i expected. still adjusting to the controls, specially the one that uses the analog sticks.

any release dates for those dlcs? and any estimated price?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
PATCH IS FINALLY UP!!!

Version 1.02, 726MB:

- Added a new system & contents for DLC updates
- Fixed an intermittent judgement display bug
- Other minor bug fixes & improvements

Would be neat if we got some DLC today to go with the patch allowing for DLC updates.

New to the game, Made Stargazer my first 6trak song pass by just being a persistent bastard and playing it over and over till I got the pass :D playing on hard as I assumed they'd be harder charts than normal, but Ive just read here that it only affects life difficulty? I thouht it was damn harsh that I miss three in a row and its automatic fail. But then again tne game is incredibly generous with timing compared to Stepmania/ITG that I'm so used to.

Love this game so far though. Will definitely aim for the platinum.

FluxWaveZ

It was just a visual bug where sometimes the judgment (whether or not you got a Superbeat or a Good) wouldn't show up properly. Doesn't affect the actual judgment or anything.

Oh, so that was a bug. I thought that it was something like if you got a Superbeat or Good several times in quick succession, it just wouldn't show up because the underlying assumption was that it was the same judgement you got moments ago. Guess not.

PATCH IS FINALLY UP!!!

Version 1.02, 726MB:

- Added a new system & contents for DLC updates
- Fixed an intermittent judgement display bug
- Other minor bug fixes & improvements

Would be neat if we got some DLC today to go with the patch allowing for DLC updates.

Just in case, NA 1.0.2 is equivalent to KR 1.0.5 version

It was just a visual bug where sometimes the judgment (whether or not you got a Superbeat or a Good) wouldn't show up properly. Doesn't affect the actual judgment or anything.

Excellent. It kept bugging me when I would lose my combo but couldn't see when it happened.

jzbluz

*sigh* While playing this I screwed up my right thumbstick, and now I can't really play Superbeat. At least the thumbstick works well enough for now that I can use it in other games.

alcheim

Just in case, NA 1.0.2 is equivalent to KR 1.0.5 version

Really enjoying the game so far... and looking forward to the next set of stages.

Any chance of future patches enabling the actual key sounds from the song when playing the notes instead of the generic sound effects?

Really enjoying the game so far... and looking forward to the next set of stages.

Any chance of future patches enabling the actual key sounds from the song when playing the notes instead of the generic sound effects?

That would require actually keysounding the songs, so slim to no chance.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Super late to this news but those are some weak picks for the Guilty Gear Xrd pack. Jack a Dandy the only quality pick. I hope more GG songs make their way into Superbeat, especially The Lily of Steel (Millia's them), Give Me a Break (Sol's theme), Marionette (Elphelt's theme), and Diva of Despair (Ramlethal's theme).

Top Bottom