• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: Nintendo sells 2.4m Switch consoles in 1st month; above original forecast

Toni

Probably seems to be selling slower than it but will likely have a longer life span.

Its keeping very close with the Wii, and it got there with a higher price tag, and without Gran Turismo or God Of War in its repertoire.

PS4 also has a monumental amount of third party support compared to the Wii in the same frame.

And this year, its got Gran Turismo, its getting a Star Wars game coming out with The Last Jedi's hype, an exclusive Spider-man game coming out at the same time as Spider-man: Homecoming to ride out its hype, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty, an Uncharted game and a possible pricedrop for black friday and the holidays if Sony feels in the mood to easily outdo their best holidays last year.

It will blow way past the Wii and PlayStation 1.

Even if Australia, Italy and a few other countries have some on shelves, in the great scheme of things that'll be like 100k worldwide tops

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Its keeping very close with the Wii, and it got there with a higher price tag, and without Gran Turismo or God Of War in its repertoire.

PS4 also has a monumental amount of third party support compared to the Wii in the same frame.

And this year, its got Gran Turismo, its getting a Star Wars game coming out with The Last Jedi's hype, an exclusive Spider-man game coming out at the same time as Spider-man: Homecoming to ride out its hype, Destiny 2, Red Dead Redemption 2, Call of Duty, an Uncharted game and a possible pricedrop for black friday and the holidays if Sony feels in the mood to easily outdo their best holidays last year.

It will blow way past the Wii and PlayStation 1.

You realise we're in year 3 and it's at 55 million consoles sold? The Wii was at 101 million sold in 2009. it launched in 2006. It's like not even close.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2009/091029e.pdf#page=9

You realise were in year 3 and it's at 55 million consoles sold? The Wii was at 101 million sold in 2009. it launch in 2006. It's like not even close.

The wii didnt stop selling in 2009 you know, like what some people round here may believe

The link you provided says 56m

That's not my point. my point is that it in terms of speed the PS4 isn't in the same ballpark as the wii.

As one of neogafs biggest ninty fanboys it pains me to say that if ps4 is at 55m then yeah it is

Edit - ah yeah looked up the figures and ps4 has had longer and an extra holiday season compared to then so yeah its a chunk behind

Zedark

Wow really interesting to see if this things takes off and capture second place now from MS. These are some pretty strong numbers with no slow down in sight.

I'm been rocking with PS for the past 2 gens almost exclusively now, the portable factor is really making Switch a must buy for me. So different from my PS4 gaming It fits in very easily.

Interesting to see the units of this in 8-10 months out.

Eliciel

will be interesting if there would be a statistic of how many people are selling their consoles again in the market place after finishing Zelda

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
will be interesting if there would be a statistic of how many people are selling their consoles again in the market place after finishing Zelda

probably wont be very interesting - mario kart is bigger than zelda in the US and splatoon is bigger than zelda in Japan

When we're comparing Switch and Wii/PS4 sales one thing to keep in mind is the Switch is indeed a dedicated portable, no matter how much it may also be a console. This means there will undoubtedly be cases of people buying 2 or more per household, which happens far less often with stationary consoles.

Not that I think it will outsell the PS4 in 3 years, but it has a chance to outpace it if the software really is there.

Branduil

Yeah that's what usually happens when people buy a new console. They play one game and then immediately sell it.

Zedark

Is superdata's Switch number accurate? If so that's great!

It is an estimate, but you can be sure it is true. The Sales we know are the following:

- NA: ~ 1M;
- UK - ~100k (estimate for the month, based on 80k first week);
- France - 105k+ (first week 105k);
- Spain - ~ 66k;
- Germany - 100k+ (BIU-online numbers, could be anywhere between 100k-200k, probably closer to 150k than 100k);
- Japan: ~550k.

This sums to 1921k, which is very partial, so 2,4 million is very possible.

This is great news. SWITCH is my first Nintendo console since I owned a N64 and I am pretty pleased with it so far. Zelda has been amazing but I would be lying if I wasn't equally as excited for MK in two weeks. That game is gonna sell like crazy and most likely going to sell even more systems.

Zedark

Yeah, I thought I remembered reading this, too? If it was true, then the Switch'll blow past 7M since there won't be any supply constraints holding it back.

Yeah, they did. You can't read the whole piece, but the one visible paragraph tells you all: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-double-production-of-switch-console-1489728545

Of course, it's a report, akin to the Eurogamer Pokémon Stars report, so take a few grains of salt into your reading, since these things are not 100% accurate all the time.

Yeah, they did. You can't read the whole piece, but the one visible paragraph tells you all: https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-double-production-of-switch-console-1489728545

Of course, it's a report, akin to the Eurogamer Pokémon Stars report, so take a few grains of salt into your reading, since these things are not 100% accurate all the time.

Thanks! And yeah, I guess everyone going around saying it's an unknown number above 8M is doing so to be more safe than sorry.

When we're comparing Switch and Wii/PS4 sales one thing to keep in mind is the Switch is indeed a dedicated portable, no matter how much it may also be a console. This means there will undoubtedly be cases of people buying 2 or more per household, which happens far less often with stationary consoles.

Not that I think it will outsell the PS4 in 3 years, but it has a chance to outpace it if the software really is there.

I can't imagine parents buying separate Switch for each of their children at a $350 (system+game) price point. Handhelds were cheap. The Switch is not.

I can't imagine parents buying separate Switch for each of their children at a $400 price point. Handhelds were cheap. The Switch is not.

It's $300, at least in the US. EDIT: And if you mean to say it's $400 with all the accessories you need, nobody actually needs to buy a single accessory. It's a great console without any of them. I guess you do need to buy a game though.

Cheaper than most tablets parents buy for their kids. If anything tablets/mobile have raised the amount of money parents will spend on handhelds rather than lowered it.

Didn't the WSJ say Nintendo was doubling production to 16m annually? They might actually be aiming for 30 by then, lol.

IIRC the article stated that Nintendo had reportedly upped its FY17 production (April 2017 through March 2018) to 16 million, which would put their total production between March 2017 and March 2018 at over 18.5 million.

That's just the production though, we don't know how much the shipments are delayed after the production. I think 10 million sold through March 2018 seems likely, possibly even 10 million by the end of 2017. Could be even more, but this is all based on first month (and change) sales so it's understandable being a bit conservative with estimates.

It is an estimate, but you can be sure it is true. The Sales we know are the following:

- NA: ~ 1M;
- UK - ~100k (estimate for the month, based on 80k first week);
- France - 105k+ (first week 105k);
- Spain - ~ 66k;
- Germany - 100k+ (BIU-online numbers, could be anywhere between 100k-200k, probably closer to 150k than 100k);
- Japan: ~550k.

This sums to 1921k, which is very partial, so 2,4 million is very possible.

No it isn't, all the stock in other countries is still sitting on the shelves

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's $300, at least in the US.

Cheaper than most tablets parents buy for their kids. If anything tablets/mobile have raised the amount of money parents will spend on handhelds rather than lowered it.
I must say I'll wait for the first price cut to get my girls a Switch, but it's 100% sure it's only a matter of time before I replace their 3DS with it.

Actually they'll get it the day Animal Crossing Switch releases, price cut or not :p

It's $300, at least in the US.

You're right, I thought it was $350 MSRP. But I bought a Pro Controller with mine, that's why I had the wrong number in mind.

But in any case, the Switch doesn't come with a game, so you have to spend at least $350 on your buy-in.

Do most children have their own iPad...? Most families I know share an iPad. Maybe some teenagers have their own in place of a laptop. I don't have kids so I don't know. Maybe that's more normal than I realize.

400? what the hell?

It was just a mistake. I was thinking $350+game, but it's only $300+game.

Basically, you think forum posts are more trustworthy than numbers are collated from Famitsu/Gfk? lol.

It's no use. People like that build their own narrative in their head and go with it. That's how fake news gets spread around in this day and age.

Just ignore them. They're not worth the time of day.

jts

...hate me...
A handheld Switch version can easily hit $200 soon. For now, there's still the 3DS for that.

aBarreras

You're right, I thought it was $350 MSRP. But I bought a Pro Controller with mine, that's why I had the wrong number in mind.

But in any case, the Switch doesn't come with a game, so you have to spend at least $350 on your buy-in.

Do most children have their own iPad...? Most familiy's I know share an iPad. Maybe some teenagers have their own in place of a laptop. I don't have kids so I don't know. Maybe that's more normal than I realize.

Just a mistake. I was thinking $350+game, but it's only $300+game.

even tho do you have point, come the holiday season the switch will probably be 300 with a game pack in,

but yeah, i dont see parents buying multiple switchs to their kids, unless they are like really rich or something

A handheld Switch version can easily hit $200 soon. For now, there's still the 3DS for that.

a handheld version, or just a dockless sku?

ggx2ac

Do most children have their own iPad...? Most familiy's I know share an iPad. Maybe some teenagers have their own in place of a laptop. I don't have kids so I don't know. Maybe that's more normal than I realize.

Don't you worry, according to posts in here parents should have no problems getting one below cost because Switch units are sitting on shelves and people are selling their Switch on eBay after finishing Zelda.

I can't imagine parents buying separate Switch for each of their children at a $400 price point. Handhelds were cheap. The Switch is not.

The switch includes a lot of off the shelf tech which can and will drop in price fast, especially if nintendo is increasing its component orders significantly, it aint staying at 300

Do most children have their own iPad...? Most families I know share an iPad. Maybe some teenagers have their own in place of a laptop. I don't have kids so I don't know. Maybe that's more normal than I realize.

I'm not a parent either but it's just something I've observed. Every kid in many of the families I know has their own Apple device. Some of them are certainly hand-me-downs but that'll be the same with the Switch eventually.

People have essentially been trained by Apple to pay a hell of a lot of money for a tablet-like device, so looking at a $300 Switch in comparison is actually favorable towards the Switch, compared to any iPad.

They'd be dumb to create a dockless sku and create the same market confusion as the Wii U.

The primary selling point of the Switch is that it can be played as a home console or as an on-the-go device, and a separate sku without a dock is disharmonious with that perception. Nintendo needs to keep the Switch simple with a uniform promise and delivery.

even tho do you have point, come the holiday season the switch will probably be 300 with a game pack in,

but yeah, i dont see parents buying multiple switchs to their kids, unless they are like really rich or something

I'm not a parent either but it's just something I've observed. Every kid in many of the families I know has their own Apple device. Some of them are certainly hand-me-downs but that'll be the same with the Switch eventually.

People have essentially been trained by Apple to pay a hell of a lot of money for a tablet-like device, so looking at a $300 Switch in comparison is actually favorable towards the Switch, compared to any iPad.

I'm trying to think of families with multiple kids I've known throughout the years. When it comes to handhelds, the perception is that it's owned by an individual. It's their Game Boy or their iPhone. These devices, by design, cannot be shared or utilized by more than one child at a time. It is realistic and expected that households would have one for each child. If you only buy one device for one child, the other is excluded. This necessitates each child having their own personal device to use and enjoy.

But I don't know about the Switch. It can be played on one television, or placed at a shared vantage point with the kickstand, and it comes with two controllers out of the box. The perception that a Switch can be shared easily, by design, tells me parents will buy one Switch for Christmas and not one for each child.

I don't think Switch numbers will be inflated by every child having their own, I think it will just be in every household (like the Wii). Even if it doesn't reach Wii-like sales, it can and will be immensely popular as a living room staple.

I see no reason the current sku couldnt sell for 200 by mid next year (and probably at a slughtly higher margin than they make currently at 300)

-MB-

a handheld version, or just a dockless sku?

Dockless, and smaller screen/formfactor. But I'd wager they gonna wait till they can get the Tegra x1 on a smaller process.

vern

What incentive does Nintendo have to both remove the functionality of the Switch and lower the price soon? The concept is a huge selling point, and the system is selling as fast as they can make it. Unless by soon you mean in a few years and by handheld version you mean everything the same just sold without a dock, for households that already have a Switch and dock?

TLZ

Banned
No it isn't, all the stock in other countries is still sitting on the shelves

giphy.gif

-MB-

What incentive does Nintendo have to both remove the functionality of the Switch and lower the price soon? The concept is a huge selling point, and the system is selling as fast as they can make it. Unless by soon you mean in a few years and by handheld version you mean everything the same just sold without a dock, for households that already have a Switch and dock?

Well, they gonna be selling the dock separately as well.

Dockless, and smaller screen/formfactor. But I'd wager they gonna wait till they can get the Tegra x1 on a smaller process.

In the meantime they can consider a basic portable pack without the grip and dock. If there is demand for multiple systems per household it's a good thing to offer.

Top Bottom