• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: Nintendo sells 2.4m Switch consoles in 1st month; above original forecast

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
They'd be dumb to create a dockless sku and create the same market confusion as the Wii U.

The primary selling point of the Switch is that it can be played as a home console or as an on-the-go device, and a separate sku without a dock is disharmonious with that perception. Nintendo needs to keep the Switch simple with a uniform promise and delivery.
I totally disagree with that. A dockless SKU would be ideal for a family. I don't need 3 docks, one is enough.

-MB-

In the meantime they can consider a basic portable pack without the grip and dock. If there is demand for multiple systems per household it's a good thing to offer.

Precisely, and they obviously aren't doing this from day 1, they will wait long enough for their core message of it being a Hybrid device to take hold, and not let it dilute that hybrid message that has given them this success currently.

I'm trying to think of families with multiple kids I've known throughout the years. When it comes to handhelds, the perception is that it's owned by an individual. It's their Game Boy or their iPhone. These devices, by design, cannot be shared or utilized by more than one child at a time. It is realistic and expected that households would have one for each child. If you only buy one device for one child, the other is excluded. This necessitates each child having their own personal device to use and enjoy.

But I don't know about the Switch. It can be played on one television, or placed at a shared vantage point with the kickstand, and it comes with two controllers out of the box. The perception that a Switch can be shared easily, by design, tells me parents will buy one Switch for Christmas and not one for each child.

I don't think Switch numbers will be inflated by every child having their own, I think it will just be in every household (like the Wii). Even if it doesn't reach Wii-like sales, it can and will be immensely popular as a living room staple.

That's a fair point, and I agree that I don't think it will be at the same level as the Gameboy or DS in that area, but there will definitely be cases of kids yelling "Mom Danny is hogging the Switch why can't I have my own!?!?" moreso than with the Wii or PS4.

I just feel like the price is being very overstated though in general, as consumer electronics have been far pricier than this for a while now. And whenever the price inevitably drops (I'm thinking 2018) it will only be a more popular "multiple unit per household" item.

Well, they gonna be selling the dock separately as well.

That's more for multiple TV's for one Switch. I really doubt they'd risk selling a dockless Switch such that the consumer wouldn't be guaranteed to have a dock. I also don't think the dock adds much to the manufacturing cost (so a dockless SKU wouldn't be that much cheaper) but I may be wrong there.

vern

Well, they gonna be selling the dock separately as well.

I could understand theoretically a dockless sku for households that want multiple Switches. I don't see a form factor change or undockable/joyconless unit anytime soon though, that I've seen some people proposing. People don't understand the whole appeal of the system by proposing that. A few years down the line I'm sure there will be changes, expecting changes or price cuts while the systems fly off the shelves at a record pace is silly though. If the system keeps selling exceptionally well they not only have no incentive to price drop, they also have no incentive to bundle a game. We'll have a better idea in a few months.

Branduil

What incentive does Nintendo have to both remove the functionality of the Switch and lower the price soon? The concept is a huge selling point, and the system is selling as fast as they can make it. Unless by soon you mean in a few years and by handheld version you mean everything the same just sold without a dock, for households that already have a Switch and dock?

I think they will eventually make a smaller Switch without removeable joycons; there could be a dock for it but sold separately. It would target the same market as the 2DS currently does. I wouldn't expect it for a couple of years though, and not until the 3DS is off the market.

jts

...hate me...
a handheld version, or just a dockless sku?
A dockless SKU would be a very practical and quick way to get it maybe to $250, but they can do better than that with a dedicated design.

Built-in controls instead of Joy-cons saves a lot of unnecessary production complexity and materials, plus a more manageable size for kids like a 4-5" display (PSP was 4.3", Vita 5") also helps in 2 different ways (cost and accessibility).

Can still play with optional Joy-cons.

My biggest doubt is actually if they can make it work with current dock (as an optional) or if they would remove output capability altogether (or 3rd option: new dock). Personally I think it would be great if it were compatible with current dock but with a smaller footprint I don't see how the analog sticks would fit inside the dock. Unless they switch back to the slide pads, but I'm not sure if they can be made clickable.

There's an exciting amount of possibilities for the Switch going forward. I think different sizes/designs are a given, all of their handhelds pretty much see different designs, and last last 2 (DSi and 3DS) were sold in multiple sizes. It's how you reach different market needs and prices.

I'm actually working on a mock-up of what I have in mind. Boring Saturday I guess.

-MB-

That's a fair point, and I agree that I don't think it will be at the same level as the Gameboy or DS in that area, but there will definitely be cases of kids yelling "Mom Danny is hogging the Switch why can't I have my own!?!?" moreso than with the Wii or PS4.

I just feel like the price is being very overstated though in general, as consumer electronics have been far pricier than this for a while now. And whenever the price inevitably drops (I'm thinking 2018) it will only be a more popular "multiple unit per household" item.

That's more for multiple TV's for one Switch. I really doubt they'd risk selling a dockless Switch such that the consumer wouldn't be guaranteed to have a dock. I also don't think the dock adds much to the manufacturing cost (so a dockless SKU wouldn't be that much cheaper) but I may be wrong there.

It adds to the price, that is why.

vern

I think they will eventually make a smaller Switch without removeable joycons; there could be a dock for it but sold separately. It would target the same market as the 2DS currently does. I wouldn't expect it for a couple of years though, and not until the 3DS is off the market.

Yea sure, but not soon is what I was saying. rhe original guy was saying soon for new designs and price reductions. That's madness.

jonno394

The way I see it is that the Switch will sell extremely well in it's first year, but will the software be there in year 2 to keep up that sales success? If it isn't then I can see a lower price handheld SKU coming towards November next year to give the sales a boost and make up for the declining 3DS sales next year.

If sales of Switch are still strong in 2018 then I could see them holding back until early-mid 2019 because there would be no need there for it any sooner as the demand is still there for the complete package.

-MB-

Yea sure, but not soon is what I was saying. rhe original guy was saying soon for new designs and price reductions. That's madness.

They obviously not going to release one this year, and maybe not even next year. They gonna wait till 3DS really is done for, and the Switch is established in the marketplace and it's core messaging is engrained into the consumer mindset.
So they can release one that 1) replaces 3DS proper and 2) does not confuse the consumer base as to what the Switch concept is all about anymore.

I could even see them basically tie it together with a die shrink to make the main SKU faster ala Ps4 Pro/Scorpio style mid-gen refresh, and keep the smaller Handheld only SKU the old specs, so they can shrink it's size down to be more portable without it burning away in your hands

I totally disagree with that. A dockless SKU would be ideal for a family. I don't need 3 docks, one is enough.

Average consumers, the same consumers who had to figure out the hard way that Wii U games couldn't be played on their Wii, will choose the cheaper Switch SKU while under the same general impression that it will do what all the commercials and their friends said it would do, namely play games on the TV or as a handheld. Why would they distribute a product that doesn't deliver on its promise out the box?

jts

...hate me...
What incentive does Nintendo have to both remove the functionality of the Switch and lower the price soon? The concept is a huge selling point, and the system is selling as fast as they can make it. Unless by soon you mean in a few years and by handheld version you mean everything the same just sold without a dock, for households that already have a Switch and dock?

What I mean by soon is that if they needed it could be done fast, no need to wait for efficiency gains. With the cut down complexity and materials alone they could get to the $200 tag if it was necessary to dump the 3DS out of the product mix.

Not simply without a dock no, I think such a SKU will be a reality sooner or later, but I mean a dedicated design.

I'm pretty that sure after DSi + DSi XL and then 3DS + 3DS XL + 2DS, they will not go back to a one size fits all approach. It's only one size for now, while it's new and while they still have other products on the market. Lots of sales to be had by filling different sizes and price ranges.

notaskwid

you maybe didn't notice, but the switch is selling extremely well.
People are picking up the machine for fantastic games and the ability to socially interact with to the pair of joycons that are always attached to the system.

the only shit driving mobile games are those that manipulate addictive behavior.

Smartphones can't properly play Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, Pokémon, FIFA, Smash, i.e. the button-based gaming industry that is still in high demand and multi-million worth.

I'm failing to see where is the proof that the "mass market", the people that mostly play games on phones, is buying Switches, or will buy Switches in any meaningful quantities.
And by that I mean people like my aunt who never owned a console in their life before, but got a Wii.

Average consumers, the same consumers who had to figure out the hard way that Wii U games couldn't be played on their Wii, will choose the cheaper Switch SKU while under the same general impression that it will do what all the commercials and their friends said it would do, namely play games on the TV or as a handheld. Why would they distribute a product that doesn't deliver on its promise out the box?

Yeah I agree with this. It greatly muddies the message behind the console, which was probably the Wii U's biggest flaw (a muddy message).

I also think by year 2 the dock will be very cheap to produce and not add much to the manufacturing cost (maybe $10 at most?). So a dockless SKU likely wouldn't be much cheaper.

ggx2ac

I'm sure it would sell Vita/declining handheld numbers if there's no detachable Joy-Cons.

Unlike the 3D screen for the 3DS which was not a system seller for the system. There is value in having detachable Joy-Cons with local multiplayer in Tabletop mode anywhere on the go.

You start removing features like that and people will see it as a barebones Switch like the Vita TV.

Servbot24

Banned
A handheld Switch version can easily hit $200 soon. For now, there's still the 3DS for that.
Removing the dock from the SKU wouldn't do much for the MSRP. The dock is cheap as shit. Nintendo could be giving them away if they felt like it.

jts

...hate me...
I'm failing to see where is the proof that the "mass market", the people that mostly play games on phones, is buying Switches, or will buy Switches in any meaningful quantities.
And by that I mean people like my aunt who never owned a console in their life before, but got a Wii.

They auntie phone market is gone and well gone, but there's a mass market within legitimate gaming as well. The PS4 is not tracking too far behind the Wii. There's a lot of people in this world.

Perhaps a cheap "handheld switch" could be expanded into a full switch, even with integrated controls it would still be able to connect to seperate controllers and its own dock could be produced for anyone that wants to connect it to a tv, they could even do one with the same form factor as the current switch just with integrated joycons and use the existing dock

Servbot24

Banned
you maybe didn't notice, but the switch is selling extremely well.
People are picking up the machine for fantastic games and the ability to socially interact with to the pair of joycons that are always attached to the system.

the only shit driving mobile games are those that manipulate addictive behavior.
People are buying it for 1 fantastic game, for the desire to be in on the big item of the season, and in the blind faith that Nintendo will finally turn things around after a decade of unsatisfying home console software output.

Buying for the joycons, lol

-MB-

Yeah I agree with this. It greatly muddies the message behind the console, which was probably the Wii U's biggest flaw (a muddy message).

I also think by year 2 the dock will be very cheap to produce and not add much to the manufacturing cost (maybe $10 at most?). So a dockless SKU likely wouldn't be much cheaper.

There is a difference between a muddy message from the gettgo, to one that is initiated years into the products lifecycle, when the messaging has been reinforced already.

jts

...hate me...
Removing the dock from the SKU wouldn't do much for the MSRP. The dock is cheap as shit. Nintendo could be giving them away if they felt like it.
Any equivalent USB-C to HDMI hub costs minimum $50 from respectable brands. The Apple one costs $70 with just HDMI + 1 USB-A and USB-C passthrough. The Switch dock adds 2 more USB-A on top of that.

So yeah they could give it away, but technically they could also give the Switch away if they felt like it.

marc^o^

It's the job of marketing to make it work. Call it "Switch Go", or whatever, use a smaller packaging with a sticker saying "Dock sold separately", and launch it with an advertising campaign whenever Animal Crossing, Pokemon or Nintendogs is ready.

Nintendo launched 2DS with no 3D, after years of selling a 3D handheld. It's no different.

Hilarion

I'm pretty sure the better comparison is all the people who got the DS, a system that did have a traditional button input system (four face buttons, two shoulder buttons, and a D-Pad) plus a touchscreen. A lot of people had a DS as their first video game system ever, and those people are in their late teens and early 20s now and might want a meaty gaming experience on the go but not enjoy the limitations of smartphones compared to handheld systems.

People are buying it for 1 fantastic game, for the desire to be in on the big item of the season, and in the blind faith that Nintendo will finally turn things around after a decade of unsatisfying home console software output.

Buying for the joycons, lol

This is false, sorry

Hilarion

It'd be the opposite of the Vita TV, the Vita TV would be a hypothetical docked-only Switch.

(I still think that the Vita TV could've worked if Sony had made it a better product. A device that's marketed as your TV box that can't access Netflix or Amazon Video is ridiculous. A device that's supposed to be a console version of PS Vita that can't play two thirds of the Vita's library is insane.)

Nintendo might sell a dockless Switch (they absolutely will) but there is no way they wasted their time with all the joy con shit to cut off that market after like 2 years or so.

The reason why I think they will sell a switch without a dock is when they do the revision they wont want double dippers turned off by having to pay for another dock. It also will drive adoption amoung younger audiences if thr can slash $30-50 off the price just for the dock.

KtSlime

I don't understand this switchless, dockless, joyconless, Switch people think will appear. I mean it is technically possible, but think about it for a moment.

The logo are the joycons.
The name is Switch.

The messaging would be really strange to get rid of the very core aspects of the Switch hardware. The components will gradually drop in price anyway, there is no need to try and cut 100$ off the current price. It is selling well, and the dock and joycons add to the value which people are willing to pay.

I believe that the more like a handheld and less like a console the Switch is, the less likely Nintendo is able to charge over $200 for it.

ggx2ac

It'd be the opposite of the Vita TV, the Vita TV would be a hypothetical docked-only Switch.

(I still think that the Vita TV could've worked if Sony had made it a better product. A device that's marketed as your TV box that can't access Netflix or Amazon Video is ridiculous. A device that's supposed to be a console version of PS Vita that can't play two thirds of the Vita's library is insane.)

The point which I was making earlier in another post is that it would be a barebones Switch like the Vita TV which had no touchscreen and a lot of games unavailable to play because of no touchscreen use.

Because I'm certain we're still talking about a handheld only Switch and it would be better to still have it be able to connect to a TV than not.

It's the job of marketing to make it work. Call it "Switch Go", or whatever, use a smaller packaging with a sticker saying "Dock sold separately", and launch it with an advertising campaign whenever Animal Crossing, Pokemon or Nintendogs is ready.

Nintendo launched 2DS with no 3D, after years of selling a 3D handheld. It's no different.

2DS is an exception and they called it that way because it no longer played games in 3D.

What would they name this new Switch, because with a dockless sku there's nothing to Switch to/from out of the box. That's my whole point, why would you sell a product that doesn't deliver on its promises out of the box?

No offense but all this sounds like Wii U amateur hour all over again. :)

marc^o^

2DS is an exception and they called it that way because it no longer played games in 3D.

What would they name this new Switch, because with a dockless sku there's nothing to Switch to/from out of the box. That's my whole point, why would you sell a product that doesn't deliver on its promises out of the box?
Switch from handheld to tabletop. Switch from single player to multiplayer. Switch to the TV*

*dock sold separately

No offense but all this sounds like Wii U amateur hour all over again. :)
It's not. It's the mass market offensive next year with Animal Crossing and Pokemon.

Lizardus

Switch from handheld to tabletop. Switch from single player to multiplayer. Switch to the TV*

*dock sold separately

3DSwitch,Xbox One S(witch), PS(witch)4

Nintendo chose the name for a reason, they intend to stick with the concept. Its not a generic name like Gamecube or wtf name like Wii.

Zedark

What is the weekly production at the moment, do we know? I suspect it is only around 150-200k.

We don't. It's the big mystery atm. The WSJ report states 16 million in the next 12 months, so 308k/week, but that is not confirmed (and production and shipment are also not aligned 1 to 1 as well, so we won't see all of it as soon as feasible). We will probably learn more on April 27th.

Hilarion

You're wrong, you can use the TV-out abilities it's just the connector is sold separately, hence basic.

So you're saying in your idea that the system is no different than the current Switch, it's just that the toaster dock is sold separately rather than bundled in? That'd only knock off what, $25 or so, from the price?

Top Bottom