• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperData: Nintendo sells 2.4m Switch consoles in 1st month; above original forecast

diaspora

So you're saying in your idea that the system is no different than the current Switch, it's just that the toaster dock is sold separately rather than bundled in? That'd only knock off what, $25 or so, from the price?

Probably. It was just an answer to this:

For people suggesting and hoping for a dockless "Switch", what would it be called?

A dockless Switch isn't really any different from the current unit, just missing a TV-out cable. So while the functionality is there, it's a Basic package with the cable removed.

diaspora

What about the USB charger and HDMI cable? Included, Sold separately or have to buy it yourself third party?

What about the USB charger? It's just an A/C adapter. HDMI cable would obviously be omitted since there's no USB-C to HDMI dongle included. What asinine line of questioning is this?

ggx2ac

I don't understand this switchless, dockless, joyconless, Switch people think will appear. I mean it is technically possible, but think about it for a moment.

The logo are the joycons.
The name is Switch.

The messaging would be really strange to get rid of the very core aspects of the Switch hardware. The components will gradually drop in price anyway, there is no need to try and cut 100$ off the current price. It is selling well, and the dock and joycons add to the value which people are willing to pay.

I believe that the more like a handheld and less like a console the Switch is, the less likely Nintendo is able to charge over $200 for it.

This is a good point other than the reasons I gave.

We never had a Gamepadless Wii U because Iwata made the Gamepad the focus of the system and not the console which proved to be a very big error considering how we know people thought the gamepad was an accessory for the Wii.

images

Making a Joy-Con-less Switch would pretty much remove the identity of the Switch.

Neoxon

I don't believe a second there will be a smaller Switch.
I can definitely see a smaller Switch happening, especially to appease 3DS players who used the smaller versions (I.E. the OG 3DS & the regular n3DS). Though I'd imagine that there would still be a way to dock it.

Anteo

Do people asking for a dockless switch realize this is nintendo we are talking about? If thet make a dockless sku they will sell it for $280 and laugh all the way to the bank. Also they will make it a limited edition.

Lizardus

What about the USB charger? It's just an A/C adapter. HDMI cable would obviously be omitted since there's no USB-C to HDMI dongle included. What asinine line of questioning is this?

I don't know, seems to me that the dock wouldn't contribute much to a price reduction.

Unsurprisingly, the tablet part of the Switch costs the most to manufacture. Fomalhaut estimates that it costs about $167; touchscreen, processor and dock. Out of the whole thing, the USB-C power supply and Nvidia processor (custom-made for the Switch) are the most expensive components.

With the Joy-Con, on the other hand, it’s a little more difficult. The HD rumble modules don’t appear to have any ID marks, so that made the pricing process more complicated. Eventually, Fomalhaut ended up estimating the cost of producing a Joy-Con at $45. The retail price for one Joy-Con is $50. The estimate doesn’t include the Joy-Con grip, but I doubt it adds much to the cost.

http://www.gosunoob.com/news/nintendo-switch-manufacturing-cost-estimated-teardown-company/

diaspora

I don't know, seems to me that the dock wouldn't contribute much to a price reduction.

Unsurprisingly, the tablet part of the Switch costs the most to manufacture. Fomalhaut estimates that it costs about $167; touchscreen, processor and dock. Out of the whole thing, the USB-C power supply and Nvidia processor (custom-made for the Switch) are the most expensive components.

With the Joy-Con, on the other hand, it’s a little more difficult. The HD rumble modules don’t appear to have any ID marks, so that made the pricing process more complicated. Eventually, Fomalhaut ended up estimating the cost of producing a Joy-Con at $45. The retail price for one Joy-Con is $50. The estimate doesn’t include the Joy-Con grip, but I doubt it adds much to the cost./quote]

http://www.gosunoob.com/news/nintendo-switch-manufacturing-cost-estimated-teardown-company/

I'm not arguing that it would, only that they could sell a Switch+USB charger as a Basic package and cut maybe $50 tops.

FinalAres

I totally disagree with that. A dockless SKU would be ideal for a family. I don't need 3 docks, one is enough.
The Switch also comes with that grip and the straps, I don't use them. So I put them in a drawer. If you don't need the extra docks, then just put them away. You won't save money on a package just because it's missing a cheap bit of plastic.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The Switch also comes with that grip and the straps, I don't use them. So I put them in a drawer. If you don't need the extra docks, then just put them away. You won't save money on a package just because it's missing a cheap bit of plastic.
The dock has a price. The manutention, the storage space to handle a bigger packaging has a price, the shipment of bigger packaging has a price. This dockless SKU will allow them to sell the system at a mass market price for families.

jts

...hate me...
The dock has a price. The manutention, the storage space to handle a bigger packaging has a price, the shipment of bigger packaging has a price. This dockless SKU will allow them to sell the system at a mass market price for families.
Also, it's not the plastic part of the dock that drives its cost. There's electronics inside and as posted multiple times, any equivalent dock/hub from reputable brands costs $50 at least.

Neoxon

Also, it's not the plastic part of the dock that drives its cost. There's electronics inside and as posted multiple times, any equivalent dock/hub from reputable brands costs $50 at least.
Plus USB-C docks similar to the Switch's cost around the same as the Switch dock does (though in the Switch's case, its dock includes an HDMI cable & a power plug at retail).

Salvadora

I can't imagine Nintendo sells the Switch without the dock.

It's the USP of the system. It's in the name.

It would be like the DS without the dual screens. Or the Wii U without the tablet.

Or the 3DS without the... yeah, okay, but I don't think that will be replicated here.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I can't imagine Nintendo sells the Switch without the dock.

It's the USP of the system. It's in the name.
The dock is not in the name. The ability to Switch will still be there. I know so many parents with multiple kids all owning their 3DS. When Pokemon or Animal Crossing are ready you can bet Nintendo will want to sell them Switch at a mass market price. Some parents will already have a dock. Others won't and won't care. Others will care but decide to buy the dock later, because what their kids really ask for is Pokemon Switch.

I don't believe for a second that there won't be, so we will have to leave it at that :p

Eh, I don't see how it can be such a sure thing. The only real way to make it smaller is to make it less wide (and that would hardly work if you want to keep the screen ratio the same) - otherwise none of the Joy-Cons that you can buy separately work as you can't really attach them to the smaller console anymore. And you need new charging grips and straps for the smaller Joy-Cons and whatnot. Basically, there's lots of accessories that rely on the current form factor of the Switch is what I'm saying. I do think that would create too much costumer confusion. That is also the reason why I don't really see a hand-held only Switch releasing, much less a Switch without detachable Joy-Cons.

ggx2ac

I don't believe for a second that there won't be, so we will have to leave it at that :p

We know that Nintendo can make a cheaper Switch, what we don't know is if the audience wants a smaller Switch rather than a cheaper Switch.

Referencing Nintendo's worldwide LTD shipment numbers for 3DS Hardware:

There are 19.64 million (old)3DS XL units LTD although that is very likely being discontinued considering how low shipments were recently.

7.1 million 2DS units.

2.49 million New 3DS units.

9.82 million New 3DS XL units.

Total is 65.3 million currently.

The 2DS has been around for longer than the New 3DS/New 3DS XL and has sold the most in their Other territories which excludes Japan and The Americas.

This was pretty apparent when I saw Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia on the recent Nintendo Direct for Europe, they showed only the 2DS model and the New 3DS XL model.

What I am getting at is that the 2DS is bigger and bulkier than a New 3DS but it is cheaper.

I don't think people care too much about wanting a small size as opposed to it being cheap. We can see that even the bigger New 3DS XL greatly outsells New 3DS and, in Japan there is a 3.6:1 ratio of New 3DS XL to New 3DS units using LTD numbers.

If anyone could buy what the current Switch is but cheaper, they would definitely do that. Making it smaller will of course make it cheaper but most people don't care about making a portable smaller than what it is as opposed to just getting it cheaper.

Salvadora

The dock is not in the name. The ability to Switch will still be there. I know so many parents with multiple kids all owning their 3DS. When Pokemon or Animal Crossing are ready you can bet Nintendo will want to sell them Switch at a mass market price. Some parents will already have a dock. Others won't and won't care. Others will care but decide to buy the dock later, because what their kids really ask for is Pokemon Switch.
Isn't it?

"Switch," as in, between handheld and TV.

Nintendo would (and could) sell it without the dock, because it's Pokemon, but I question whether they will. It's possible, of course, but it's also possible that they might not. Nintendo has repeatedly said that they view Switch as a home console. Those tend not to get redesigns.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Anybody in the market for multiple Switches is going to have multiple TVs, and thus will have a use for multiple docks. Nintendo shouldn't sell dock-less units. It just opens up all kinds of residual issues (Why can't I plug this into the TV??? I thought that was the point???)

For people suggesting and hoping for a dockless "Switch", what would it be called?

I don't get why people think it's a good idea in the first place. Eliminating the dock isn't going to make the system much cheaper (the most expensive component is USB-C as it isn't standard yet). Especially what you mentioned in regards to the concept, where having a device with only one clear purpose defeats the messaging of the Switch.

vern

Anybody in the market for multiple Switches is going to have multiple TVs, and thus will have a use for multiple docks. Nintendo shouldn't sell dock-less units. It just opens up all kinds of residual issues (Why can't I plug this into the TV??? I thought that was the point???)

Why would anyone in the market for multiple switches have multiple tvs? I have 0 tvs and I have 1 Switch. If I had a gf or kids that also wanted a game they could get a Switch. That's the whole beauty of it.

jonno394

Going through the Media Create archives looking at the Wii U sales over the years. 3It really was a nightmare for the WIi U in Japan.

It's clear to see why when you're looking for the weekly new releases and there's nothing, and the Wii U just sinks and sinks further and further into the 4 digit weekly sales. Pikmin 3 bumped it to around a 20k week, for that one week, Wonderful 101 week for Wii U had less sales than the week before! Even Super Mario 3D world failed to move the hardware considerably (it jumped from 15k to 20k on launch week) before Wii U went on to have a decent holiday period in 2013 (sold around 300k in one month)|

That first year was what killed the Wii U worldwide. The period between launch and end of summer just wasn't good enough with regards to games, and even then, the games that Nintendo did bring out (Game and Wario, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101) just weren't attractive to the mainstream market. Getting Mario Kart and SPlatoon 2 out so early in the life of the Switch should see it through any difficulties the Wii U had during its first year, and I highly doubt you'll see sub 5k sales figures a week in Japan.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Why would anyone in the market for multiple switches have multiple tvs? I have 0 tvs and I have 1 Switch. If I had a gf or kids that also wanted a game they could get a Switch. That's the whole beauty of it.

Families tend to have more than one TV in this day and age. A guy living in a bachelor pad has one, but then again he's not going to be buying multiple Switches for himself. Your girlfriend doesn't have a TV at her own place? If you have kids who are into tech enough to want one Switch each, you're only going to have one TV for the whole family? If so, you'd be the exception.

You say you don't have a TV, which is fine, but again, that's the exception.

And it will be the same size but with a bigger screen (no bezel), as long as better batteries come up in 2 years.

The battery tech has been stagnant for a while. I don't expect them to have improved in two years. The only thing Nintendo can do is make their architecture more power efficient.

XL being the same size but less bezel sounds weird though.

Dre3001

I think selling a dockless version of the switch would be a mistake and go against what the console is being perceived as of right now.

I would argue that most people are playing the switch in handheld mode but despite that, do not consider it a handheld at all. If they did consider it as a handheld first then Nintendo wouldn't be able to charge $300 for it and have it sell as much as it is.

From people I have talked to about the switch, they view it as a traditional home console that they can also take on the go as opposed to the opposite.

PeterGAF

Banned
And it will be the same size but with a bigger screen (no bezel), as long as better batteries come up in 2 years.
I think it will be bigger with joy-con XLs to go with it. The only way to get better battery life these days is to put a bigger one in there.

qko

I figure if statistically Nintendo discovers the dock SKU sells VERY well; we might see a dockless SKU like in Holiday 2018 or holiday 2019.

I think selling a dockless version of the switch would be a mistake and go against what the console is being perceived as of right now.

I would argue that most people are playing the switch in handheld mode but despite that, do not consider it a handheld at all. If they did consider it as a handheld first then Nintendo wouldn't be able to charge $300 for it and have it sell as much as it is.

From people I have talked to about the switch, they view it as a traditional home console that they can also take on the go as opposed to the opposite.

Does it matter what Nintendo considers first? It's a hybrid that can be played however the user wants to play it. It's unnecessary to worry about pricing in relation to the platform it's considered. I mean, Nintendo considered the 3ds a traditional handheld and charged 250 dollars at launch before cutting. That's why the pricing argument doesn't work well (never mind that it disregards the cost of components within the Switch).

vern

Families tend to have more than one TV in this day and age. A guy living in a bachelor pad has one, but then again he's not going to be buying multiple Switches for himself. Your girlfriend doesn't have a TV at her own place? If you have kids who are into tech enough to want one Switch each, you're only going to have one TV for the whole family? If so, you'd be the exception.

You say you don't have a TV, which is fine, but again, that's the exception.

Yeah but you said everyone. Switch doesn't need a tv, which is why it is awesome. It offers so many variations on how it can be used. Sure most people have at least one tv, but i can imagine many households that could have more Switches than TVs. I'm not planning on having kids (or a tv lol) anytime soon. And nah my girl doesn't have a tv or a Switch either for that matter.

Does it matter what Nintendo considers first? It's a hybrid that can be played however the user wants to play it. It's unnecessary to worry about pricing in relation to the platform it's considered. I mean, Nintendo considered the 3ds a traditional handheld and charged 250 dollars at launch before cutting. That's why the pricing argument doesn't work well (never mind that it disregards the cost of components within the Switch).

Yeah I really think a lot of people on GAF make a lot of weird assumptions when it comes to how the average consumer sees pricing. "This thing is portable?? No way is it worth more than $200!!" This isn't a thing that happens.

People see a certain value in the device, in the concept, and in the library (present and future). That's how people determine the value of video game consoles.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah but you said everyone. Switch doesn't need a tv, which is why it is awesome. It offers so many variations on how it can be used. Sure most people have at least one tv, but i can imagine many households that could have more Switches than TVs. I'm not planning on having kids (or a tv lol) anytime soon. And nah my girl doesn't have a tv or a Switch either for that matter.

My saying "anybody" was semantically too broad, but I think you got my point. To clarify, my point here is that there are a lot more people who would accidentally buy the dockless version and say "Hey, wtf, why can't I plug this into the TV?" than there are who would buy one with a dock and angrily say "Hey, wtf, why is there a dock in here? I don't even own a TV!"

Not worth the confusion.

No one buying a video game system besides gaf actually attaches value like you are doing. All they see is something they want and a price and they decide from there. Not being able to sell it as a console and it being $50 cheaper doesnt flip the whole world on its head.

One things for sure, having Nintendo be relevant again has breathed some life back into sales age. Whether the switch is a roaring success or sells poorly the next few years will be a lot more interesting sales age wise. It's certainly getting s lot more heated discussion anyway. This holiday season will be a blood bath.

Switch Go

Switch Lite

Switch Mobile

... I don't know, it's nintendo, these things are impossible to predict.

(I do think they'll do a portable-only version at some point, but I don't know when the tech will make that possible)

Switch Go

Switch Lite

Switch Mobile

... I don't know, it's nintendo, these things are impossible to predict.

(I do think they'll do a portable-only version at some point, but I don't know when the tech will make that possible)

And you don't think the words you added contradict the meaning and marketing behind Switch? "Hey how come I can't switch into TV mode, wtf did I buy a Switch Go/Mobile/Lite for?!?!"

One things for sure, having Nintendo be relevant again has breathed some life back into sales age. Whether the switch is a roaring success or sells poorly the next few years will be a lot more interesting sales age wise. It's certainly getting s lot more heated discussion anyway. This holiday season will be a blood bath.

What's also interesting about the Switch's success related to Nintendo's relevance is Nintendo's mobile strategy. That's not something we see discussed here much, but I'd argue the absurd mindshare of Pokemon GO will have a huge influence on the Switch's success whenever a Pokemon game drops. Especially if they have the two tie together in some way.

And then you have their smartphone games releasing this year to create even more synergy. It honestly appears to be an absolutely brilliant strategy.

Good for Nintendo, Zelda must have sold a shit load

102% attach rate for BotW Switch version in the US at least. For March.

They would find a way. I mean, they did with the 2DS.

Maybe "Can't Switch it"

I don't think the 3ds family is something they should aspire to have the Switch become. It was a mess in terms of naming confusion with the 2ds (considering the 3ds games still have 3ds titled on the stickers), and New 3ds.

Sadist

NPD April 2008 is still one of my favourite threads in GAF history. The disbelief was amazing. Everybody was preparing for GTA IV kicking ass and helping 360 and PS3 sales, but... well... something else happened.

Good times. Good times.

But Nintendo getting some good news all around. It's not very surprising, but the general public actually knows about the system. Nothing like the Wii U at all.

Salvadora

And you don't think the words you added contradict the meaning and marketing behind Switch? "Hey how come I can't switch into TV mode, wtf did I buy a Switch Go/Mobile/Lite for?!?!"
This is a big challenge for Nintendo if they do indeed go down this route with the Switch.

Removing the 3D from the 3DS isn't as fundamental to the experience as the TV functionality from the Switch.

javac

I mean its kind of like insinuating that Nintendo shouldn't have ever made single player experiences for the Wii because "Wii means WE NOT ME!" Nintendo isn't bind by the name alone, hell there's already a game that only works in handheld mode!

Top Bottom