• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: VR likely biggest loser this holiday, digital more agressive, Nintendo

AmyS

Vive and Rift w/ Touch have to ditch their 3DO-like price points.

Get closer in price to PSVR and have some killer apps with marketing.

2017 will be the deciding year for the future of VR (PSVR included).

rambis

Banned
Sounded like fine numbers to me honestly. These are pretty expensive devices. I think VRs time is coming. I walk to Lenox mall for lunch on the regular and theres always a line for the vive at the Microsoft store. Its just too expensive right now.

CronoShot

The problem for VR is three fold: price, availability, and killer apps.

Oculus and Vive are only available to you if you have a high end gaming PC, and even then they are expensive. PSVR is slightly more accessible, but still costs more than the PS4 in the first place, or the same price as a PS4 Pro.

Gear VR and Daydream are cheaper, but only if you have to have certain smartphones, and are less capable anyway.

And for all of them, I think most people would agree that a killer app for VR (for any of the platforms) has yet to arrive.

VR will get there. But it needs to come down in price first.

SystemUser

What region do you live in?

brickseek is showing 6% for the bundle and 24% for the headset only version. So his story checks out. 6% could be a sell out, but I doubt Target's system is so messed up that 24% could be a sell out. Sony sent too many PSVRs to bumfuck nowhere, but there are people on the coasts that want them. The headset only pack is going for $400-500 on ebay so there is definitely a sellout in a lot of regions.

beef3483

Lol. I knew when I saw this article on Reddit that there would be a thread about it. It's only a disappointment if you go by there original ridiculous estimate.

I stated a few weeks back that people should have realistic expectations when it comes to VR and gaming.
I can't believe people are still riding that VR gaming train after having had the chance to experience it first hand. VR is cool copnceptually, but it's not a game changer when it comes to gaming. The tech is not there yet and it won't be there for a long time to come.
Today, VR is a passive experience that offers more in other areas of entertainment than it does for gaming. At least in the state that most people expect it to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juqrxW4sYW8

0racle

RE7 will probably be their big game to push it after the holidays.

I agree, it will be the AAA game that will sell it.

I feel this really needs to be marketed heavily with the PSVR functionality. I'd they don't sony really has no steam left for PSVR. I hope PSX will boost the platform because right now it's falling flat and I don't think they can recover waiting for e3 and more software.

Back to RE7 though, it will market well with VR but I personally think it will be HORRIBLE
surprise!
. Early previews of the game had essentially everyone motion sick within minutes. Since the game is not designed around VR the implementation will more than likely be shoddy at best. I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a case of a resident evil fans wet dream, and be utterly unplayable.

TrojanAg

PSVR selling that much from launch to the end of 2016 isn't bad considering price and everything else that comes with the tech.

Also, selling out on the NES Mini isn't much of a win when they only have 5 fucking units available in an entire month of release. If anything, the scalpers won and the fans lost big time.

kyser73

Man threads like this should just be locked. They start with stupid, people don't read or understand the stupid and the stupid just expands.

Yup. No-one reading the OP, level of reading comprehension down the shitter, drive-by shitposting.

Back to RE7 though, it will market well with VR but I personally think it will be HORRIBLE
surprise!
. Early previews of the game had essentially everyone motion sick within minutes. Since the game is not designed around VR the implementation will more than likely be shoddy at best. I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a case of a resident evil fans wet dream, and be utterly unplayable.

I think Capcom has done a good job addressing the motion sickness issues we saw last time. All the press who tried it this week and gave their impressions didn't mention motion sickness.

I agree, it will be the AAA game that will sell it.

I feel this really needs to be marketed heavily with the PSVR functionality. I'd they don't sony really has no steam left for PSVR. I hope PSX will boost the platform because right now it's falling flat and I don't think they can recover waiting for e3 and more software.

It is far from falling flat.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The fact that they scaled down PSVR down to 28.8% of their previous estimate is already a testament that even they have no idea what they are talking about. I am glad even PSVR fans are now settling into reality and acknowledge that this is a long term game. Its far too early to start comparing about sales, whenever all of these vr companies should work together to lay the foundation for the next few years. Lets not treat as if Sony/HTC/Oculus/Google doesn't know the problems they need to solve for VR to go mainstream. They are working on it. Oculus already has a standalone prototype "Santa Cruz" headset and HTC are starting to sell an add-on that makes the Vive wireless.

Mark Zuckerberg has said it will take several years, probably a decade for VR to reach mainstream. By that time VR will have already improved in many ways, better designed hardwares, more contents, cheaper prices, no cable, eye tracking, less or no reliance on external expensive hardwares (eg camera, pc, lighthouse) to work and otherd. Its too premature to start judging the VR

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I think it is hard to say that VR is a loser when it is all based on Superdata's estimates, which is just an opinion in the first place./

Tailzo

yep. still far too expensive for wide adoption, and plenty of improvements to be had.
not to mention lack of a 'system seller' type content. the VR itself is dope as fuck but it still needs great content. best thing I've used so far is Google earth VR.

it's still coming, no it's not dead, no it's not bomba, it's just not fully here yet.

Does PSVR have google earth?

Top Bottom