• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superdata: VR likely biggest loser this holiday, digital more agressive, Nintendo

NateDrake

As ive states before

I dont trust Sony with any other product other than their mainline consoles. Playstation Eye, Move, Vita were all flops and dropped by Sony quite early on. MS learnt this with Kinect and its probably why VR isnt important to them now. Not worth the risk on investment especially because how pricey it is. Atleast Vita has backwards compatanility and free Plus games and Move was quite cheap. VR will just be a expensive bit of hardware people use for 6 months and never touch again.

Sony does have a longstanding history of ditching product - Move being the most recent example. I think the issue currently facing PSVR is not the lack of quality software, but the lack of a convincing piece of software to warm people to the idea of purchasing a $400 accessory.

There is plenty to play once you have a PSVR, but the appeal remains niche. I've shown PSVR to friends and family (some who have a PS4), and while they like what they play, they find the price of entry too steep. Early adopters have jumped in and now we wait to see if the rest of the market takes the plunge. Software flow will need to remain steady and quality for that to happen. If we see a lack of PSVR software at Sony's E3 2017, then the future support of the device will be questioned.

kobu

And? It made them a shitload of money and created a ton of hype, leading to financial analysts expecting a profitable holiday season which is crazy since they mulliganed this year. Sour grapes from a greasy YouTube blowhard doesn't change that.

you take this shit way too seriously jeez

EmiPrime

They're not very good at their job if they thought PSVR was going to do 2.6m, there were plenty of warnings that it would be massively supply constrained.

blakep267

Few things. Maybe the vive and rift are underperforming, making the PSVR look better by comparison. Also PSVR has been known about for ages and people had plenty of time to preorder it etc. it looks as if the early adopters of the product have been able to get theirs. Now you have to make it enticing for those non early adopters who aren't that into vr

Varth

750,000 would be a great number for 2016. 2.6 mil was an idiotic estimate.

Estimation made by who? Superdata itself? If so, it seems idiotic to me that PSVR not aligning to their own analysis is a failure by Sony. If anything, it would be an indication of THEIR incompetence. I mean, is there any indication that Sony even produced that many units?

Oni Jazar

but but but Nintendo is a fuckhead toymaker who can't do anything right, selling all of their hottest holiday product for a profit is a mistake /jimsterling

Not having ANY NES Classic consoles for Black Friday was a colossal mistake. Yay for them selling their pathetic quantities I guess, but they left millions on the table.

On the VR part: What they should really say is "our estimates are too high but we don't want to admit it"

I think lots of people had and still have unrealistic expectations about the potential of VR in its current state.

So why ISN'T Sony marketing the PSVR? The only ad I've seen for it was a Taco Bell commercial and I haven't seen a kiosk anywhere

On the VR part: What they should really say is "our estimates are too high but we don't want to admit it"

I think lots of people had and still have unrealistic expectations about the potential of VR in its current state.

Really only Sony knows how much they expected to sell this year. Their earlier indication was that sales were on track I think. 2.6m was an absurd prediction on Superdata's part.

MisterHero

And? It made them a shitload of money and created a ton of hype, leading to financial analysts expecting a profitable holiday season which is crazy since they mulliganed this year. Sour grapes from a greasy YouTube blowhard doesn't change that.
Who cares how successful it is if I can't get one in ny hands?

Pokemon is a success everyone can appreciate because it is readily available.

xevis

Banned
So people aren't excited by the thought of strapping an uncomfortable nausea-inducing cable-riddled helmet to their face? Wow; what an unexpected turn of events! I'm shocked.

Obviously anecdotal, but I personally find the VR comment funny since like 5 of my friends bought a Vive this Black Friday and all the kids at Thanksgiving would tell their parents they wanted a headset every time a Daydream ad (or whatever VR ad that was during football) would play.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
You clearly haven't given the games enough thought.

Most are "easy to pick up" games, so its easy to form an opinion on either playing them even for a short amount of time, writing them of completely based on available information (game length/cost) or not having interest in a given genre.

The one thing i was hyped about the most, racing games, makes me fell sick to the bone within a minute of playing. Thats reality for me now :(

Give me Fallout V in VR and well maybe talk about VR being a game changer.

Crocodile

It's one thing if you want to look at this just from a business perspective rather than a consumer perspective but was this ad homenium really necessary? You're the one coming off as bitter and sour here :(

Fisty

Best thing was they predicted emerging, expensive tech that requires novel software support to sell over 2 million units in 3 months lol

And Google Daydream gets 250k in 2 months... LOL

Seems like 2016 is the year Forecasters began drinking their own kool aid

So people aren't excited by the thought of strapping an uncomfortable nausea-inducing cable-riddled helmet to their face? Wow; what an unexpected turn of events! I'm shocked.
This is super data's own forecast..Wish people would read the vr crapfest on this place is annoying. All we know officially from Sony is that sales were on track

Kinect sold 8 million in 60 days when it launched. For $250 more at retail (plus the difference in the economy/inflation between the two launches) I don't think 2.6 million is unrealistic. The narrative has been that Sony had the best shot at pushing VR and that VR in general is much more compelling than the Wii or Kinect ever were. Those people were wrong for now. VR has some more gestating to do if it's ever going to become mainstream.

blakep267

Best thing was they predicted emerging, expensive tech that requires novel software support to sell over 2 million units in 3 months lol

And Google Daydream gets 250k in 2 months... LOL

Seems like 2016 is the year Forecasters began drinking their own kool aid
I mean given the install base of the PS4, a little more than 1% of your customers buying a peripheral isn't that good. If it does come down to supply constraint, & Sony were only able to ship that small amount they were likely better off just waiting to launch it

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nintendo was quite sharp with their plan to get to switch launch, i mean its not exciting for me at all, but its clever business. if mario is a big hit on the mobile they should sail through the holiday and then just have to launch well with the switch

These guys estimated 2.6 million for a $500 add-on? And I thought my 500,000 estimate was okay, lol. They must have been high as a kite for that number.

Boke1879

Estimation made by who? Superdata itself? If so, it seems idiotic to me that PSVR not aligning to their own analysis is a failure by Sony. If anything, it would be an indication of THEIR incompetence. I mean, is there any indication that Sony even produced that many units?

This was superdatas estimation. Which I don't see how it's a failure for Sony if they are selling as much as they put out.

Trup1aya

These estimates sound horrendous? Sounds like analysts who have no idea what they are talking about.

The mini sold out, but certainly under performed because NINTENDO is terrible at the concept of supply and demand. They are the big loser because scalpers are reaping their profit.

2.6 million estimate for Sony's peripheral was unrealistically high to begin with. That would be too similar a pace to the launch ps4 itself iirc.

Kinect sold 8 million in 60 days when it launched. For $250 more at retail (plus the difference in the economy/inflation between the two launches) I don't think 2.6 million is unrealistic. The narrative has been that Sony had the best shot at pushing VR and that VR in general is much more compelling than the Wii or Kinect ever were. Those people were wrong for now. VR has some more gestating to do if it's ever going to become mainstream.

Your kinect launch stats make 2.6 mil seem more unrealistic. The peripheral costs more than the console itself. And unlike kinect doesn't come bundled with a killer app... killer apps don't even exist for it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
750,000 might be a great number in isolation and it's better than Vive and Rift. With the little note that Vive costs twice than PSVR and both Vive and Rift are competing on a different market while PSVR has no competition. It's also the device that supposed to be the mass-market one.

If you put it in the context, 750k is just 1.5% from the whole PS4 market and it's not enough of a market to support VR games on its own. Yes, it's supply constrained, but that's on Sony and the longer it takes to reach more healthy number the trickier it will be for its support.

Luckily it seems that most developers manage now to port quite easily the VR games for all 3 platforms and that should help them reach maybe decent sales numbers.

These guys estimated 2.6 million for a $500 add-on? And I thought my 500,000 estimate was okay, lol. They must have been high as a kite for that number.
It's pretty funny because I remember that thread and people laughing at that ridiculous high number. Now all of a sudden that was doable and psvr failed?

LordKano

These estimates sound horrendous? Sounds like analysts who have no idea what they are talking about.

The mini sold out, but certainly under performed because NINTENDO is terrible at the concept of supply and demand. They ate the big loser bevause scalpers are reaping their profit.

2.6 million estimate for Sony's peripheral was unrealistically high to begin with. That would be too similar a pace to the launch ps4 itself iirc.

If I had to be honest I think you're the one who don't know what you're talking about.

SystemUser

It seems like the article should be about how bad Superdata's estimate was instead of being about PSVR not being a success.

Fisty

I mean given the install base of the PS4, a little more than 1% of your customers buying a peripheral isn't that good. If it does come down to supply constraint, & Sony were only able to ship that small amount they were likely better off just waiting to launch it

Around 2% buying a peripheral that costs MORE than the console is pretty good imo. Couple that with the Pro stealing ad time and mindshare and I think the predicted 750k is a good number.

AHA-Lambda

750,000 PSVR in two months is bad?

WTF

Idk, less than a million for launch and upto and including xmas?
When it's also the most accessible form of VR out there bar the Gear VR?

Doesn't sound great, and this is launch, I'm not convinced it'll have legs past that.

The more surprising thing I'd say is how completely and utterly the Daydream tanked =/

EDIT: are these figures worldwide or NA?

Stillmatic

Other than it being their product, Sony have nothing to do with this data or estimates.

Elios83

Seems more like they were clueless in forecasting demand for a family of products that are still very expensive overall and need developers and publishers to better understand what they can do with it.
VR was never going to be a multimillion business this year.

Eolz

I'm not reading "biggest loser of the holidays" as being a failure. Just not as impressive as previously thought, due to numerous factors (Sony strategy, different interest from consumers, cautious, etc)

Trace

Banned

When a peripheral costs more than your platform, it's not surprising it doesn't sell gangbusters.

rjinaz

VR right now is only for enthusiasts really. Not many will be dropping $500 on it or more. It's for early adopters.

PSVR will be huge when it drops $200 from what it is now. I know I'll be on board then.

blakep267

When a peripheral costs more than your platform, it's not surprising it doesn't sell gangbusters.
Well of course I know that. I only expected it to sell 500k. But people were hyping it up as the end all be all and that it would sell tons. That was never going to happen

Fisty

Well of course I know that. I only expected it to sell 500k. But people were hyping it up as the end all be all and that it would sell tons. That was never going to happen

These are the same people that shot Nintendo's share value through the roof when Pokémon Go was destroying app store records

SuperData's revised forecast for 2016 calls for under 750k PlayStation VR units sold (their previous estimate was 2.6 million)

Next time someone makes a thread with SuperData forecasts, it will be good to remember this. That first forecast (supposing the second one is now the good one) was off by 350%!!!

Elandyll

Banned
When interviewed, Jim Ryan predicted that this year's sales would be in the "several hundred thousand units".
Maybe Superdata should have listened, because Sony probably knows how much it's producing?

This being said, PSVR has sold in 2 months (it seems) what HTC and Occulus have sold -combined- in 8...
Pretty darn good result imo, unless you have some seriously unrealistic expectations.

Peltz

I don't quite understand this...PSVR had one of the most impressive launch lineups I've seen, and has seen a consistent drip of new content since release.

It's a shame Sony didn't market this thing, because most gamers who try VR consider it a game changer.
I own it and agree it's s game changer. But it's just not that attractive of a product. It cuts you off too much and demands too much of your attention to truly enjoy the game. It's a very asocial experience.

I love VR, but I still don't think it's here to stay. It's revolutionary only for people like us: hardcore gamers. No one else really cares.

Top Bottom