• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Glad they're pulling from some newer stuff too. The frustrating part with all superhero shows is when they willfully ignore any newer plots/characters simply because that's not who the showrunners are familiar with. Robbie Reyes as Ghost Rider was an inspired choice, and now pulling Reign from the New52 run atleast gives them some fresher material to work with.

Gives me hope that one day, they could do a Red Lantern arc, but that's still really unlikely with character embargoes being what they are.

I thought season 2 was better than season 1. A lot of the stuff in season 1 went nowhere. Cat's son, the romance between Kara and Winn, between Kara and James, between Winn and Siobhan, between Alex and Maxwell. Maxwell Lord and General Lane also led to nothing, although this isn't a fault of season 1 but of the show moving to the CW, but the point remains that it led to nothing. James was also useless.

In season 2, James found a purpose, Winn became more useful, Mon-El was a very important character, Maggie was a very important character, Lena was a very important character, Superman and Miss Mars ended up being relatively important characters and, thanks to her, we get to see a side of Henshaw that we never got to see, and Lyra is still mentioned in the finale so it sounds like she'll come back.

The writing and action scenes were sloppy and the villains weren't very good, but that's right in line with season 1 then. I work on the official French subtitles for the show and I enjoyed working on this season a lot more than on the last. Mon-El in particular was very funny, and Melissa Benoist was funnier as well.

So Collider is speculating that the tease at the end could be for a Supergirl villain named... Reign

Didn't know such a person existed

reign-supergirl-season-3.jpg

Yes, please! I love her design so much!!

Joni

I thought season 2 was better than season 1. A lot of the stuff in season 1 went nowhere. Cat's son, the romance between Kara and Winn, between Kara and James, between Winn and Siobhan, between Alex and Maxwell. Maxwell Lord and General Lane also led to nothing, although this isn't a fault of season 1 but of the show moving to the CW, but the point remains that it led to nothing. James was also useless..
Don't remind me, so many characters they need to bring back. Like Robbie Amell can't bring his wife to Vancouver when he films a guest spot on The Flash.

Sir Doom

The effects was service-ble to show the scale of the invasion. Also good Superman vs Supergirl fight sure it's no Anime-Synder destruction, but again service-able.
Hopefully next season they stop doing villain of the week

Why can't Supergirl be stronger in this universe? How does her being stronger make him less of a man?

Further proof this show needs to push feminism even harder.

It bugs me because Superman has been on Earth for 12 more years (wait... is it more than that? It was, right?), absorbing considerably more solar radiation and gaining far more combat experience.

And that slo-mo fight was all kinds of poor. They can add boom sound effects all they like but the impact they have on the surroundings still looks unconvincing.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It bugs me because Superman has been on Earth for 12 more years (wait... is it more than that? It was, right?), absorbing considerably more solar radiation and gaining far more combat experience.

Okay, so let's follow this down the two paths:

1) Kryptonians are a solar battery that reach a certain maximum charge level. This one is easier to explain as, at some point, Superman stops getting more powerful and the two can level out. Now, let's assume that in this universe female Kryptonians, or hell, just Supergirl herself, have a slightly higher upper charge level.

2) Kryptonians are a solar battery that never reach a maximum charge level and are always getting stronger. Superman has been absorbing UV energy as filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, while Kara spent more time in outer space, absorbing that energy directly. And, just for the fun of it, let's assume again that female Kryptonians are better at metabolizing solar energy and charge faster.

Take your pick. Both are legitimate in a universe centered around Supergirl.

Okay, so let's follow this down the two paths:

1) Kryptonians are a solar battery that reach a certain maximum charge level. This one is easier to explain as, at some point, Superman stops getting more powerful and the two can level out. Now, let's assume that in this universe female Kryptonians, or hell, just Supergirl herself, have a slightly higher upper charge level.

2) Kryptonians are a solar battery that never reach a maximum charge level and are always getting stronger. Superman has been absorbing UV energy as filtered through the Earth's atmosphere, while Kara spent more time in outer space, absorbing that energy directly. And, just for the fun of it, let's assume again that female Kryptonians are better at metabolizing solar energy and charge faster.

Take your pick. Both are legitimate in a universe centered around Supergirl.

In the comics Superman literally spent thousands of years living inside the sun and came out of it a god. So... *shrugs*.

I'll just assume Superman of this world is incredibly weak and / or the women of Krypton are much stronger. Either way there wasn't a need for the "I'm humbled by you" / I'm nothing in comparison nonsense. I mean... have some self-respect Superman.

morningbus

In the comics Superman literally spent thousands of years living inside the sun and came out of it a god. So... *shrugs*.

I'll just assume Superman of this world is incredibly weak and / or the women of Krypton are much stronger. Either way there wasn't a need for the "I'm humbled by you" / I'm nothing in comparison nonsense. I mean... have some self-respect Superman.

It's also very Superman-like to be humble and not have an ego.

It's just weird that on the other Berlantiverse shows people complain about how the hero is constantly jobbing, but Supergirl gets a real, substantive win and everyone is "Not Muh Supermanz."

LotusHD

Banned
Heh, knew people would get annoyed that Superman admitted to it being a straight-up defeat lol

My issue was with him just coming out of nowhere. Dude's always getting mind-controlled in some form every season lol

Hell, Kara was forced to fight Alex last season too I believe.

That doesn't answer either of my questions.

And if we want to go down that path, Superman has been absorbing UV as filtered through the Earth's atmosphere. Supergirl was in space, potentially getting that uncut shit.

Except those 35 years were spent in the Phantom Zone with no sun, she wasn't locked in orbit of the sun while in that stasis like IIRC was the reason for it in comic.

morningbus

Except those 35 years were spent in the Phantom Zone with no sun, she wasn't locked in orbit of the sun while in that stasis like IIRC was the reason for it in comic.

There is light in the phantom zone, though. It's clear that it surpresses powers somehow, but General Zod, for example, always seems to emerge as an equal to Superman and not required to charge for decades and never actually catch up.

Kryptonians are bullshit. Why is accepting that Kryptonian women may be slightly stronger on Earth-38 so hard?

It's also very Superman-like to be humble and not have an ego.

It's just weird that on the other Berlantiverse shows people complain about how the hero is constantly jobbing, but Supergirl gets a real, substantive win and everyone is "Not Muh Supermanz."
Thing is, in those shows they aren't kicking Superman's ass. Like, if Green Arrow fucked up Batman, people would be just as pissed.

Thing is, in those shows they aren't kicking Superman's ass. Like, if Green Arrow fucked up Batman, people would be just as pissed.

Just look at the reaction to Oliver defeating Ra's, that was bad enough already.
At least Green Arrow despite how hard they try isn't Batman and they don't try degrading him to prop Oliver up.
Its really pathetic actually, can't make your character/show interesting so steal whatever you can and then disrespect the source to prop your own thing up.

I thought it was a very weak ending to a very uneven season. There were some cool ideas throughout (Cadmus, Lena Luthor, the alien bar, Superman, Miss Martian, Rhea) bogged down by shoddy execution and awful pacing. The whole season tried to handle all these threads at once, plus the monsters of the week and some other complete garbage story threads (every scene that involves James and/or Winn's girlfriend) and felt uncohesive, meandering and ultimately unsatisfying. Also, the return of Cat Grant really underlined one of the things sorely missing in this season: Cat Grant. Snapper is cool, but he isn't Cat Grant, and James is just not... good.

Now, the season finale itself. I was really bothered by Supergirl defeating Superman. Obviously not the result itself. I find it cool that Supergirl defeats Superman. But the fight itself had awful choreography - so many punches, so little punch. Also, it didn't feel believable that Kara could defeat Clark so... easily, especially after taking more damage. And she defeats him with an uppercut. It felt like a WWE fight, where Roman Reigns keeps getting beaten up, but at the last second he "defies all odds" and wins with a Superman punch or a Spear. It felt weak. Like Roman Reigns. And we all hate Roman Reigns. Even so, I would be fine with the outcome - ok, let's give the choreography a pass, the idea was cool.

But the writing afterwards reminded me again of WWE and Roman Reigns: Clark mentioning three times how he was weaker than Kara/Kara was stronger than him felt exactly like when other wrestlers or the commentators try to inflate Roman Reigns. I guess I'm saying Kara is becoming Roman Reigns? Or this show is badly written like wrestling? Anyway, it was unnecessary and it kinda ruined what was so far a pretty great version of Kal-El. Supergirl defeated Superman. That is pretty self-explanatory, you don't need to acknowledge it so much - it's cool enough that she did it, you don't need to build her up after that, even less so by bringing Superman down. You already showed us she's strong, you don't need to tell us again and again that she's strong.

On to other things: Cat Grant was amazing. Like she always is. I miss her. Please, make her appear more often. Even if she has to shoot the scenes by Skype in the comfort of her home, I don't care. She's great. Rhea got the reckoning she deserved, though once again that fight was terribly shot. I wonder if Scott Buck was involved in these fights. Even if he wasn't, I'm gonna pretend he did. Damn you, Scott Buck!

James appeared for like two seconds, so that was appropriate. The return of Miss Martian was sudden and lacked the proper emotional
impact, much like her initial departure, so that was appropriate.

I dunno if I am gonna watch Season 3. I was intrigued by the cliffhangers, but I already endured seasons 3 of The Flash and Arrow, so I should know better by now.

All they needed from Clark is him to say that she "got him pretty good" and left it at that but nope. Would it have killed them to had it be an actual upper cut instead of that backhand thing?

So, I guess Daxamites couldn't have possibly invaded a few decades ago, since we still had all that lead in the air. What's inconsistent here, though, is that the lead spreader thing put enough lead into the air to disintegrate Rhea while not harming humans (but it'll likely cause birth defects, but whatever), yet when Jimmy flat out sprayed those dudes with lead dust just the episode prior, they just coughed a bit and were weaker.

And yeah, the shitting on Superman is tiring.

ZeroX03

Banned
From TVLine:
Question: The Legion ring was shown in the fortress in Kevin Smith's Supergirl episode. When will see it used in action?
Ausiello: When we delivered your Q to Supergirl star Melissa Benoist, she answered, ”The Legion Ring, I believe, is on its way — but I don't know exactly when."

Question: Is it safe to assume that Cat Grant is back full time for Season 3 of Supergirl? She looked pretty cozy in her old office.
Ausiello: It is not safe to assume that. Despite the fact that Flockhart was listed among the series regulars in Supergirl‘s official Season 3 press release, I'm told she will not rejoin the full-time ranks. But if the scheduling can be worked out, you can count on her putting in a handful of guest appearances, as she did in Season 2. BONUS SCOOP: Casting for Season 3 villain Reign is underway and rumor has it the Big Bad will have a major presence in Season 3 (i.e. appearing in possibly a dozen episodes).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Something I didn't understand about the finale that perhaps GAF can explain: in Kara's fight against Rhea, how did she go from severely weakened by the kryptonite to dominating Rhea? I think I missed something. Did the kryptonite lose its effect for some reason? Did Kara find some deus-ex-machina-y inner strength and overcome the kryptonite?

Volimar

Something I didn't understand about the finale that perhaps GAF can explain: in Kara's fight against Rhea, how did she go from severely weakened by the kryptonite to dominating Rhea? I think I missed something. Did the kryptonite lose its effect for some reason? Did Kara find some deus-ex-machina-y inner strength and overcome the kryptonite?

Yep. The power of love.

Haha, it feels like Arrow S5 was just bringing the great original crew back.
The episode they introduced Barry Allen in S2 of Arrow was the peak(preS5)and it was downhill from there, meanwhile Flash S1 turned out amazing while Arrow burned.

Cant have two CWverse shows delivering god tier at once. They must choose...

tumblr_inline_ofc0ber8HP1shrb8p_250.gif

Black Lightning will probably drain some quality from all of the currently existing shows. Hopefully it already did, and everything gets on track next season.

ZeroX03

Banned
This is a much stronger year than last year, every show was kind of average last season. Flash S2 might've been the best by default, and that was nothing on S1. Legends was pretty consistent and Arrow was unstoppable.

Black Lightning will probably drain some quality from all of the currently existing shows. Hopefully it already did, and everything gets on track next season.

Black Lightning's staff is completely separate to the rest of the Arrowverse shows, other than Berlanti overseeing. All new writers. The Akils will be showrunning, there's no Kreisberg or Guggenheim splitting attention here. Won't even take any production resources away because it's Atlanta based.

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly every comic show on TV needs to watch season 5 of Arrow and take notes. Nothing else comics related in the 2016-17 even came close to how good it was.

Well uhh, there are two shows that do not need to take notes. Legends can also keep doing what it's doing for the most part.

VanWinkle

What made Arrow Season 5 so good? I don't want to post this in the actual thread because I don't want to be spoiled. I was beyond bored by season 4.

Joni

What made Arrow Season 5 so good? I don't want to post this in the actual thread because I don't want to be spoiled. I was beyond bored by season 4.

Strong villain. Gave characters more to do than just playing superhero. Made the main character competent by giving him some weaker sidekicks that could lose when necessary.

LotusHD

Banned

Main villain was good till the very end. Season was especially strong because it used the past mistakes of past seasons and either corrected or confronted them head-on. Also a good bit of fanservice certainly helped.

jb1234

To add to what has already been said, SIGNIFICANTLY less bullshit relationship melodrama. Also, it felt like the characters were being handled naturally as opposed to being jerked around by the needs of the script (which season 3 was especially bad at doing).

VanWinkle

Strong villain. Gave characters more to do than just playing superhero. Made the main character competent by giving him some weaker sidekicks that could lose when necessary.

Main villain was good till the very end. Season was especially strong because it used the past mistakes of past seasons and either corrected or confronted them head-on. Also a good bit of fanservice certainly helped.

To add to what has already been said, SIGNIFICANTLY less bullshit relationship melodrama. Also, it felt like the characters were being handled naturally as opposed to being jerked around by the needs of the script (which season 3 was especially bad at doing).

Thanks, guys. Man, that all sounds GREAT. Almost unbelievable even, haha.

I'm excited to start it when it goes to Netflix! Especially because I've been completely in the dark with CW shows since they went off of Hulu, so this will be so new to me. I haven't been following them at all this year. I don't even know who the villain is! It's kind of an exciting feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom