• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
After seeing Cat these past two episodes, Kara and Cat Grant interact at the end, and that Cat knows who Supergirl is and supports her, I'd be willing to cut half the show's storylines and cast if it meant having Cat Grant back for Season 3.

For me, the most appealing and richest relationships on the show, at least conceptually, are between Kara and Alex (siblings), Kara and Lena (friends), and Kara and Cat (mentor/mentee). I might add Mon-El to that list as the romantic relationship since that can be a compelling dynamic in narratives. Cat being in the show makes it feel more complete and satisfying to me. Perhaps I'm just spoiled from Season 1, though.

caliph95

Is that true ? I dont see how it makes sense in the show when he was already Superman when she arrived at earth, He must have had way more experience fighting with power of Sun and all.
I think it was retcon currently but i remember originally it was made a big deal she was way stronger than him since she was absorbing sunlight while she was stuck where ever she was can't remember but because of that she got a shit ton of sun energy much more than superman and because of how kryptonians work it made her stronger than clark.

ZeroX03

Banned
Look how fucked the villain position was this season.
Unless a new crew is brought in that ain't getting fixed.

It's like they had written 2/3+ of the season until someone finally pointed out that they didn't have a real villain at all.
5 seasons of Arrow, 3 seasons of Flash, 2 seasons of Legends and the 2nd season of Supergirl is the worst villain of all.

Makes Arrow's Ra's al Ghul look like a masterpiece by comparison.

Nah. You definitely forgot Non existed. At least Teri Hatcher had some flair, even if she was woefully misused.

jb1234

Nah. You definitely forgot Non existed. At least Teri Hatcher had some flair, even if she was woefully misused.

I think I'd also take Rhea over Zoom, who ultimately lost a great deal of his menace (and interest) when he was taken over by Teddy Sears. Teri Hatcher could at least ham it up convincingly.

caliph95

Savitr is a better example since he was generic speedster monster with a wasted cult
then became even more wasted potential and made less sense

DeathyBoy

Banned
She wasnt a UBERMensch on Krypton...no way she would have had more fighting experience than Clark when he was Superman for years on Earth and already dealed with Lex and Co. He pretty much grew up with his powers and Sunlight from the beginning.

She is quite the noob in the first season and when talking about Clark they arent subtile about him being superior to her - the last episodes have shown nothing that would put her suddenly above him.

There's a difference between fighting ability and superpowers. Kara has been trained by Alex et al to be able to fight without her powers. So she's a better fighter, even if Supes is stronger.

Or to put it another way, Brock Lesnar is a beast but if he fights someone with punching power then he's fucked.

jph139

Also Kara actually pressed the button that would have killed many living beings, and lol it was shown as she is making a sacrifice? Utter garbage. Superman would not do it not because of what this stupid version of him said. He would not do it because he would not kill living life forms indiscriminately like that.

Yeah, I didn't really think about it, but didn't she essentially gas the enemy army? Turn the air toxic for them? Like, that's a war crime, Kara. Not very Supergirl of you!

Bluth54

Yeah, I didn't really think about it, but didn't she essentially gas the enemy army? Turn the air toxic for them? Like, that's a war crime, Kara. Not very Supergirl of you!
The Arrow killed people, the Flash imprisons people without trial in tiny cells that don't even have toilets and changes the timeline for personal reasons. The Legends have also changed the timeline for personal reasons? These heroes just do morally questionable things.

I'm conflicted about my feelings towards Season 2. I think I'll probably land on it just being mediocre. On one hand I don't find it as frustrating to watch as The Flash. On the other hand, the show seems pretty content not building up these threats until the last minute. Love Lena Luthor, and most of the CADMUS story. But the Cyborg Superman and Jeremiah parts edge towards being really terrible genre TV cliches.

So basically I'm on board for
Supergirl Season 3 |OT| The New Adventures of Lena Luthor

Lena is like the only good thing about this season. Her character development is better than Kara's.
The whole season feels aimless and not as memorable as S1, started strong though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lena is like the only good thing about this season. Her character development is better than Kara's.
The whole season feels aimless and not as memorable as S1, started strong though.

Aimless does about sum it up.

There really isn't a message or moral to the season when you look at the entire thing. The finale ends with them gassing the planet so an entire alien race can't come back. So it wasn't just Queen Rhea, and all Daxamites are bad, I guess?

And Kara is okay with killing​ Rhea (and maybe all the Daxamites) suddenly, after having went back to look for another way in the last episode. Everyone that got hurt in the second attack, that's on Kara. So what's the moral takeaway? Nothing really changed except Mama Mon-el not honoring the trial by combat.

Joni

There really isn't a message or moral to the season when you look at the entire thing. The finale ends with them gassing the planet so an entire alien race can't come back. So it wasn't just Queen Rhea, and all Daxamites are bad, I guess?

They did just launch a complete foreign invasion. The good daxamites are probably not invading.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
They did just launch a complete foreign invasion. The good daxamites are probably not invading.

Possibly. I just always read it as they followed Rhea's lead since she was Queen.

I don't know if they'll water the seed next season, but they did plant that CADMUS WAS RIGHT exposition into the newscast. I'm thinking maybe Lilian Luthor gets to walk for her crimes as a thank you for saving Earth.

Rhea being killed and Mon-el being forced to be King of Daxam so he can lead them away from Earth would've been something I would've liked more. You get your sad goodbye but also shows Mon-el taking responsibility and maybe leading his people in a better direction for the future.
Until he says I'mmmmmm back a few episodes into Season 3 lol

jobrro

Well, she is.

Same as in the comics.

I don't know I guess I don't really read the comics but during Death of Superman I remember her hanging out with Lex Luthor and contemplating helping against Doomsday for a long time, then finally deciding she will, only to get knocked out immediately. Wikipedia says that was Supergirl (Matrix) so maybe that was a different version than Kara.

Most of the media I have consumed like the DCAU, the DC Blu-ray releases, Smallville and even Supergirl before today point to otherwise. Clark was raised on Earth from a baby to embody the best of both worlds. He is supposed to be an almighty god as Superman while still retaining more humanity than the other Justice Leaguers that are actually from Earth as Clark/Kal-El. Between this episode of Supergirl and Injustice 2 it has been a rough couple of weeks for Superman fans :p.

abundant

That better not be Doomsday.

I'd bet good money that the person in the new pod was H'el. Just looking at his wiki page, H'el was a Kryptonian sent to earth at the same time as Kal and Kara with the goal of preserving Krypton's history and knowledge.

caliph95

I don't know I guess I don't really read the comics but during Death of Superman I remember her hanging out with Lex Luthor and contemplating helping against Doomsday for a long time, then finally deciding she will, only to get knocked out immediately. Wikipedia says that was Supergirl (Matrix) so maybe that was a different version than Kara.

Most of the media I have consumed like the DCAU, the DC Blu-ray releases, Smallville and even Supergirl before today point to otherwise. Clark was raised on Earth from a baby to embody the best of both worlds. He is supposed to be an almighty god as Superman while still retaining more humanity than the other Justice Leaguers that are actually from Earth as Clark/Kal-El. Between this episode of Supergirl and Injustice 2 it has been a rough couple of weeks for Superman fans :p.
She was in of the DC animated movies that were based on storyllines pre 52 and she was more powerful than Superman because while stuck she has been doing nothing but absorbing sunlight. Though i think writers ignore that afterwards

Penguin

Why not just use silver Kryptonite on Supergirl too...

I was wondering that as well... or any K on her in general. Wait until she started bleeding

And once again this show doesn't know what to do with James, he got like one scene in the last few eps after having a whole episode dedicated to him.

It's also shows how much Cat bought to this show, but I kind of like her popping up sparingly throughout the series.

Penguin

So Collider is speculating that the tease at the end could be for a Supergirl villain named... Reign

Didn't know such a person existed

reign-supergirl-season-3.jpg

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It would be in line with making most of the main villains female, too.

Though we miss the potential of Kara's new boyfriend secretly being the bad guy until Mon-El comes back from the future at the mid-season and is all, like, nuh-uh.

anaron

"Go get em Supergirl"

I mean we basically knew Cat knew but still, LOVE IT

finale was blegh otherwise. Bring back calista

Wag

Nice FX this episode but the rest...

They didn't put enough effort into telling us what a pussy Superman is.

Who writes this show?

mm04

I'm happy they're sending Mon-El to the stars. Too much romance focus, not enough actual villain thwarting and crime fighting. And they really didn't have to neuter Superman to make a good story. Besting him while supposedly holding back and him not...c'mon now. That's as believable a pair of spectacles being a great disguise. If Melissa Benoist weren't so dang cute, I'd have bailed this season. Step it up, writers! Oh and yes, more Lena Luthor please.

morningbus

Why can't Supergirl be stronger in this universe? How does her being stronger make him less of a man?

Further proof this show needs to push feminism even harder.

That was not a a good finale or season. The season lacked any real villain and got too caught up in its romance plots. It's never a good idea to build stories around crappy romance plots, especially not ones that are supposed to carry the show through to the finale.

Still, as bad as this season was... it's nowhere near as bad as Flash. Small victories I guess. God Flash has been garbage this season. Just awful.

Wag

Why can't Supergirl be stronger in this universe? How does her being stronger make him less of a man?

Further proof this show needs to push feminism even harder.

Kryptonians are solar batteries. Superman has been on Earth much longer than Supergirl so should be stronger.

morningbus

Kryptonians are solar batteries. Superman has been on Earth much longer than Supergirl so should be stronger.

That doesn't answer either of my questions.

And if we want to go down that path, Superman has been absorbing UV as filtered through the Earth's atmosphere. Supergirl was in space, potentially getting that uncut shit.

So Collider is speculating that the tease at the end could be for a Supergirl villain named... Reign

Didn't know such a person existed

reign-supergirl-season-3.jpg

Ah, the New 52 version of Maxima. Fair enough.

Folks believe Superman wouldn't make Batman a red stain, but have issue with Supergirl winning in her own show.

Plot armor works for a reason, folks.

AlStrong

And if we want to go down that path, Superman has been absorbing UV as filtered through the Earth's atmosphere. Supergirl was in space, potentially getting that uncut shit.

Unless she's denser than Superman, Kryptonian (battery) cells probably have some charge limit, and Superman is a larger organism. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

:p *cough* uh.... anyways.

(I have no problem with her being more powerful)

Chase17

Ok finale. Pretty boring season though. It's not even fun bad like Legends S1.

I liked the Lena parts.

Oh wait, the Jimmy/Guardian stuff was fun bad. Jimmy had a nice cameo in the finale!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom