• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supergirl S2 |OT| The Sky's the Limit - Mondays 8/7c on The CW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toa TAK

Banned
Watching this episode made me realize that I would love a comedy spin-off centered on Mon-El being a failure of a boyfriend. Everything that's asked of him from Kara he fails spectacularly and it's great.

His arch rival should be Mr. Mxyzptlk. It would be great.

Smoolio

Watching this episode made me realize that I would love a comedy spin-off centered on Mon-El being a failure of a boyfriend. Everything that's asked of him from Kara he fails spectacularly and it's great.

His arch rival should be Mr. Mxyzptlk. It would be great.

Isn't that the show already?

caliph95

Cadmus about DEO
giphy.gif

I get it's their dad but still.

Smoolio

I'm sure he'll get his stuff together in the next ep so long as he continues to hang with... Winn??? (Can't believe that's where we're at now).

Also no Jimmy again.

I hope he goes evil and becomes irredeemable, then dies horribly. If that is what it takes for him to stop being the center of the show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
More episodes like this, please! I loved everything about this one. Yeah, Mon-el being the dumbest of the group but raising all the questions sounds iffy but I actually buy it. Him and Winn are the only ones with no personal connection to Jeremiah. So while Alex, J'onn, and Kara are overcome with glee, Mon-el was able to look past that and see how much of a free pass they were giving this guy.

Great action beats, liked all the direction on this episode. And the relationship bits between Mon-el and Kara have come such a long way. It finally feels like they have an adult relationship now. I'm fairly certain I've heard that "I'm not baseball..." line in my house before haha.

These are the type of episodes I've been waiting for. The threat is personal and large scale at the same time. We got a changing dynamic between Alex and Kara, Mon-el is learning how to be more supportive of a dominant partner, while Maggie was learning the opposite lesson of being able to lean on Maggie. They even had it touch on CADMUS being aware of Mon-el's big secret.

Oh, and I'm fully convinced James will be written out of the show by the end of the season. Winn's girlfriend has gotten more screentime than him.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
While this was definitely the best episode since coming back from the break, the things it's attempting to do highlight the real fundamental problems of the season for me. This episode did the best with what the season has given it so far and it finally feels like the wheels are starting to turn on something larger, but it's just not coming together in a cohesive way.

My major problem with this episode is that it was forced to tell us to care about Jeremiah instead of building up a reason for us to actually care about Jeremiah. He's been in 5 episodes in some capacity during these two seasons and I don't even really have a sense of who he is besides Alex's father and Kara's adopted father. I think that's what makes the heel turn so anticlimactic: all I really know about him is that he took in an alien teenager and saved a martian before being lost for 14 years. I guess those two bits of information make his betrayal a... thing. I guess.

The fact that the viewer is never not on-board with Mon-El this episode is a problem. It would have been better if there could have been some doubt, or if we really could sympathize with the Danvers being reunited. Instead it plays out like an even worse version of Oliver Queen's "blind spot."

I mean, shit, even Oliver Queen threatened his own mother with his hood shtick.

This spat of filler episodes that came before tonight's would have been better served actually building towards Jeremiah's return. Do some flashbacks to when Kara and Alex were kids and show Jeremiah being a father. Have the villains of the week lead back to old DEO case files from missions Jeremiah worked on and show us the compromises he was willing to make and, importantly, not make.

Again, this feeds back to the larger problem with the show currently: it lacks a perspective into the world of superheroism. The themes they should have and could have been focusing on this whole time are the ones that are unique, in the CW-sphere, to Supergirl: adoption (in terms of adopting a new world, being adopted into a new family, adopting new roles, identities, etc.) and feminism (modern femininity, gender roles, equality, etc.). Those are stories that can't be easily told on the Flash, or Arrow, or Legends and those are stories I'd like to see focused on.

ZeroX03

Banned
That was weird episode. Parts of it were great. Suspicious Mon-El and everything's coming up Winn! was great.

But everyone else was living in amped up emotion world. Of course they would be over the moon Jeremiah is back, and devastated he betrayed them but the acting went full ham, the score was overbearing, the betrayal was so obvious I thought they must be doing a switcheroo. It was all so heightened it had the effect of making Mon El seem like the sane, normal one of the group which was fun.

Also Kara and Mon El don't have the best chemistry. I think it might be Chris Wood. He functions on a very different style of human interaction to any normal person. Makes him a good villain, believable alien* and a very funny comic actor but when he looks at Kara his 'love' just comes off as curiosity. I dunno. He's odd, they're odd.

also James lol. train bit was cute.

*let's be honest here, they barely played with Mon El as an alien and he only isn't familiar with an Earth tradition when it suits the plot or a joke. He's adjusted insanely quickly.

Joni

Oh... where is James?

Right where we want him.

Also Kara and Mon El don't have the best chemistry. I think it might be Chris Wood. He functions on a very different style of human interaction to any normal person. Makes him a good villain, believable alien* and a very funny comic actor but when he looks at Kara his 'love' just comes off as curiosity. I dunno. He's odd, they're odd.

Let them make out through a shower curtain and you could have the sweetest romantic scene in a year.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*let's be honest here, they barely played with Mon El as an alien and he only isn't familiar with an Earth tradition when it suits the plot or a joke. He's adjusted insanely quickly.

Sometimes I forget Mon-el is an alien. As in, previous to a couple months ago had zero familiarity with Earth.

He gets +10 pts for being the voice of reason this week. -3 pts for being a dick to Kara and loudly announcing their relationship. Although they kissed and had sex once, I wouldn't be picking out wedding invitations quite yet.

ZeroX03

Banned
Sometimes I forget Mon-el is an alien. As in, previous to a couple months ago had zero familiarity with Earth.

He gets +10 pts for being the voice of reason this week. -3 pts for being a dick to Kara and loudly announcing their relationship. Although they kissed and had sex once, I wouldn't be picking out wedding invitations quite yet.

That was super funny. Easy +5 points.

Mon El should be scored purely on comedic effect.

Everyone but Mon-el and I guess Winn is stupid though I'm still counting on Winn getting played by his girlfriend. James is definitely going to be either written out or his role continued to be minimized. That said, I don't like that Catco has gone along with it, Kara seems to primarily work for the DEO now. I'd much rather have more "reporter" focused episodes, plus it could give Maggie more needed development beyond being Alex's girlfriend.

Is Kara's heat vision just a concussive blast now?

Kara can lift the key to the fortress of solitude but struggles with that train? Okay.

As for this episode: The whole thing was undermined by the fact that no one, and I mean absolutely no one, would ever believe that Jeremiah wasn't going to be outed as a villain by the end of the episode. So all the "don't question my daddy!" drama was pointless, and we all knew it. Mostly a worthless episode IMO.

RS4-

Just finished the Mxpsalidkkid one, talk about inconsiderate. Kara just going in Maggie so Alex can get what she wants.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Every time I see Cyborg Superman's Phantom of the Mask I giggle a little bit, it's so bad. Why can't they use makeup/prosthetic or cg for that side of his face?

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Every time I see Cyborg Superman's Phantom of the Mask I giggle a little bit, it's so bad. Why can't they use makeup/prosthetic or cg for that side of his face?

The mask is so they don't have to use cg. They probably chose not to use prosthetics because out of convenience/time considerations.

MartyStu

That was weird episode. Parts of it were great. Suspicious Mon-El and everything's coming up Winn! was great.

But everyone else was living in amped up emotion world. Of course they would be over the moon Jeremiah is back, and devastated he betrayed them but the acting went full ham, the score was overbearing, the betrayal was so obvious I thought they must be doing a switcheroo. It was all so heightened it had the effect of making Mon El seem like the sane, normal one of the group which was fun.

also James lol. train bit was cute.

At this point, are we sure we do not want to blame the lack of chemistry on Melissa? She is the only CW main star to not have had any chemistry with her love interests.

WedgeX

Banned
At this point, are we sure we do not want to blame the lack of chemistry on Melissa? At this point, she is the only CW main star to not have had any chemistry with any of her love interests.

She has great chemistry with Lena.

And Barry, for that matter.

Good God, Lemon!! What a stupid episode! It was like everyone, except Mon el, was under mind control or something. This show needs to get back on track.

Emarv

Right, but neither of them are love interests. This is a problem.

At this point, I am all for giving Winn a legit shot.

I'm starting to lean back toward Winn, too. Let him go through this relationship, get his mojo and then come back strong.

It's too bad Flash went all-in on Barry & Iris 4 ever already. I think a cross-series relationship for a bit would have been fun. Would have led to cool cameos, interesting team-ups and a fun post-breakup dynamic between them.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think a cross-series relationship for a bit would have been fun. Would have led to cool cameos, interesting team-ups and a fun post-breakup dynamic between them.

They're not doing that with leads. With a side character maybe. Like Wild Dog slamming Stein's daughter or something.

Emarv

They're not doing that with leads. With a side character maybe. Like Wild Dog slamming Stein's daughter or something.

I know. I was just saying it would be fun. Superhero/Superhero flings are a fun part of comic stories and I wish CW was willing to give them a shot.

Joni

Like Barry with Felicity!

TVLine said:
Question: I'm so excited to see
Teri Hatcher
on Supergirl! How much longer do I have to wait? –Camille
Ausiello: Not much longer, Camille! According to executive producer Andrew Kreisberg,
Hatcher's character — which remains shrouded in mystery — pops up in Episode 15. As for whether or not you can expect to see her sharing the screen with former Lois & Clark co-star Dean Cain, Kreisberg says that everyone involved wants it to happen, adding ”there's a plan" in the works.

Question: Any word yet on if/when Calista Flockhart might be reprising her role as Cat Grant on Supergirl? —Avery
Ausiello:
I wouldn't put money on seeing Cat again this season. But if you do, keep the wager under $1.

Question: Anything you can tease about Iris' role in the Supergirl/The Flash musical crossover? —Fowsia
Ausiello:
”She plays a pretty key role in the musical episode (airing Tuesday, March 21). The story really centers around Iris," co-showrunner Aaron Helbing tells Matt Mitovich. He then reiterated, ”Aside from Barry and Kara, Iris plays a huge role in the musical."

Shaanyboi

Banned
All of y'all Mon-El haters can just go away. Dude is great, and was great in this episode. Literally the only fucking guy besides Winn talking sense, and you can count the amount of times Winn is worth a damn on a single hand.

Grizzlyjin

All of y'all Mon-El haters can just go away. Dude is great, and was great in this episode. Literally the only fucking guy besides Winn talking sense, and you can count the amount of times Winn is worth a damn on a single hand.

I go back and forth on him. I really like the actor. And the character's place in the show has improved. Like Zero mentioned, his alien-ness is sorta muted most of the time. Like they'll make a really small joke about him not knowing what club soda is. But dude shouldn't know what anything is. He's comedic relief, they should amp that shit up to 11. It would be nice to see an alien that plays up that more, like a Worf or Spock on Star Trek.

But he did good in this episode.

Another thing I liked about this episode was that the DEO actually did something. We got Mon-el, Alex, and DEO out in the field assisting Kara. Which obviously was for the emotional payoff of Alex having to let her dad go. But they should have Alex (and sometimes J'onn) out there more. They did this in Season 1 but not so much this year.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I go back and forth on him. I really like the actor. And the character's place in the show has improved. Like Zero mentioned, his alien-ness is sorta muted most of the time. Like they'll make a really small joke about him not knowing what club soda is. But dude shouldn't know what anything is. He's comedic relief, they should amp that shit up to 11. It would be nice to see an alien that plays up that more, like a Worf or Spock on Star Trek.

But he did good in this episode.

Another thing I liked about this episode was that the DEO actually did something. We got Mon-el, Alex, and DEO out in the field assisting Kara. Which obviously was for the emotional payoff of Alex having to let her dad go. But they should have Alex (and sometimes J'onn) out there more. They did this in Season 1 but not so much this year.

The dude didn't spend most his life living in a cave (as far as we know). He was raised on a technologically advanced planet with laser guns and spaceships and where everyone already looks human. He'd have to be an idiot to not be able to make the logical connections of "Oh you call those transports 'cars'. We had a different name for them. Oh yeah, this is a cup. No shit, I drink alot anyways. Wait, you have to wait for a little light to tell you when to walk across a street? That's dumb."

At that point you may as well try and spend half a season overcoming a language barrier, but just about everyone speaks english anyway.

Smoolio

Shows usually go out of their way to make their main characters likeable, what did you think of the secondary characters though? Like his love interest Kara.

Sorry but hes disgusting, and is ruining the show.

Joni

Shows usually go out of their way to make their main characters likeable, what did you think of the secondary characters though? Like his love interest Kara.

Sorry but hes disgusting, and is ruining the show.

She is boringly perfect. I want less of her. I need more fish out of the water comedy.

I have a feeling Mon-El's going to end this season like he ended his Superboy arc - with lead poisoning and sent to the Phantom Zone to stop it from killing him, to be pulled out and cured a thousand years in the future by Braniac 5 and the Legion of Superheroes.

Grizzlyjin

[URL="http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/01/supergirl-rahul-kohli-izombie/]Supergirl taps iZombie star as potential DC villain[/URL]

iZombie star Rahul Kohli is trading brains for brawn: EW has learned exclusively that Kohli will guest-star in an upcoming episode of Supergirl.

More on who he is playing at the link. That would explain why he's back in Vancouver.

The title of the episode is "Ace Reporter" and it sounds pretty CatCo centric. So I guess they haven't 100% given up on that aspect of the show. And Lena is mentioned, glad to hear we're getting more of her. Also, I have no idea who Biomax is

Makonero

[URL="http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/01/supergirl-rahul-kohli-izombie/]Supergirl taps iZombie star as potential DC villain[/URL]

More on who he is playing at the link. That would explain why he's back in Vancouver.

The title of the episode is "Ace Reporter" and it sounds pretty CatCo centric. So I guess they haven't 100% given up on that aspect of the show. And Lena is mentioned, glad to hear we're getting more of her. Also, I have no idea who Biomax is

Super excited to see him on another show. Dude deserves to be a star.

Joni

So that is the second one branching out for a guest spot on another DC show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom