• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot Kickstarter by Superhot Team Goal: $100.000

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
XwPtWNH.png

Replay mode at 200k :-O

That would be sweeeeeeeeet.

Spierek

Could have probably gotten that reward for free if they in turn use his name on the campaign "A level codesigned by CliffyB!", haha.
:)

Guys; is WiiU a possibility?
Right now we're fully focused on PC/Mac/Linux, and are currently thinking about handling console ports after releasing the game to avoid launch parity problems (certifications, etc.).

Replay mode at 200k :-O

That would be sweeeeeeeeet.
Great to know that you're happy about it :D

I'm quite excited for the Animations goal. Could we expect stuff like an actual body for our character, melee attacks, etc.?

Oh, and I'm really pleased by that stretch goal approach. Says a lot about your priorties that the first goal is for improved animations rather than "15 new guns + a new level" or something like that

Man multi-player would be so sweet. Carefully coordinating movements so that you don't get your teammates shot. Or prep fire a few bullets to anticipate your opponents' movements and pigeonhole them right where you want them.

Also there should totes be a level where you're trying to outpace a sniper bullet to save the president.

DirtyLarry

Funded last night thanks to the Kickstarter email I get sharing projects they have backed. Did not even have to check here to know there would be a thread about it.

Looks super good. They have my $14.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Oh man, now I really want it to get that replay mode.

Dont think we need to worry too much. Obviously slowed down on the second day a bit, but we just broke the first stretch goal at 120k on the second day.

Better animations are go!

Edit: Although I am wondering.. the replay feature isnt just the same first person cam... is it? Because then there wouldnt even need to be a replay feature. You'd need 3rd person view or a free camera angle, if possible with the play controlling the view cam while the replay plays for full effect. Just a replay from the normal game perspective might not turn out to be all that exciting and I cant really imagine them working on a replay only character model.

It's interesting thinking about 3rd person camera to first person games. Not many get it right. Oddworld Stranger was pretty good, but it was more a division from FPS to 3rd person melee platformer. Chivalry does it better than Elder Scrolls, but not quite there.

I think Hover has done the best job so far, the animations in 3rd person are as good.
hover_chase_gif_by_digi_matrix-d7f4qx7.gif

Toma

It's interesting thinking about 3rd person camera to first person games. Not many get it right. Oddworld Stranger was pretty good, but it was more a division from FPS to 3rd person melee platformer. Chivalry does it better than Elder Scrolls, but not quite there.

I think Hover has done the best job so far, the animations in 3rd person are as good.
hover_chase_gif_by_digi_matrix-d7f4qx7.gif

But its not just me right? Having the replay just in real time first person wouldnt be all that interesting.

I really hope their solution is a bit more involved.

But its not just me right? Having the replay just in real time first person wouldnt be all that interesting.

I really hope their solution is a bit more involved.
No, it wouldn't. 99% of the time, the third person view of a first person game looks like shit. And honestly a straight third person replay of SuperHOT would look really stupid.

A guy moving side-stepping back and forward and stepping forward? Yeah...

I'd rather have the replay be in first person, but you can watch it in regular speed, rewind, etc..

Edit: case in point
mirror.gif

Toma

No, it wouldn't. 99% of the time, the third person view of a first person game looks like shit. And honestly a straight third person replay of SuperHOT would look really stupid.

A guy moving side-stepping back and forward and stepping forward? Yeah...

I'd rather have the replay be in first person, but you can watch it in regular speed, rewind, etc..

Edit: case in point
mirror.gif

Mirrors Edge wasnt made with the replay function in mind. Messof said it best earlier that the game would obviously need good working animations and models for that.

I am actually not even sure how much merit the first person only replays would have at all, since the game itself is already half of a replay function itself. You can stop and slowly forward time for the moves, so having a replay function which additionally allows you to rewind it, wouldnt do terribly much more than the base game. Obviously, its still going to be neat to have the replays in real time, but its not the best the feature could be.

Seeing those moves carried out from a different perspective, for example from the side or the enemies view for example in this case:
cc8563b61b55615c5d7bea217b30d69b_large.gif

Now that would be neat. Obviously the game would need a lot of work and added animations, but just a recording of the first person view would be a bit disappointing. Would still be a cool addition of course and I am not even sure "my" idea is feasible since it would need a lot more animations, but I'd love to be able to zoom around a scene freely and position my replay view cam while the mayhem ensues. With a free cam, you could still have your first person cam option too, so that wouldnt hurt the enjoyment of your preferred first person cam either (even though I am sure, you'd appreciate a good free cam replay mode too once you get your hands on it). It wouldnt even be that hard from a programming point of view as Unity makes camera positioning really painless, the only question is whether they want to spend the time on the animations for the character model or not and I am not sure they'd even need 50k to program the replay mode if its just a recording of the first person cam with a rewind functionality. That should be very easy to implement since you dont need to save the whole level replay and only need a high quality screen capture.

Edit: The question is would you want the replay function to be hot or SUPERHOT? Hmmm? :p

Also they had this to say on the matter:
So, the Replay Mode will allow you to rewatch the last level you’ve completed in real-time - which will probably make you feel even more bad-ass. We’re still looking into whether it should be first- or third-person and if we could also allow the players to save/import/export replays, or share them with other people. When we reach that $200,000 goal we’re going to make it as fun and easy to use as possible.

So its definitely possible. Sweet.

Toma

15k more since yesterday, currently sitting at 135k. Its obviously slowing down, but we should be able to hit the 150k stretch goals within 2 days.

Edit: This is super cute too
ae4035d0a4c93bc8d0bc7dd83a4c84cf_large.jpg

You guys are amazing! We're not even 48h in, and the first stretch goal is already funded! As it turns out, keeping track of our Kickstarter progress on this small whiteboard was a pretty bad idea, since we've quickly ran out of space.

Spierek

the only question is whether they want to spend the time on the animations for the character model or not and I am not sure they'd even need 50k to program the replay mode if its just a recording of the first person cam with a rewind functionality. That should be very easy to implement since you dont need to save the whole level replay and only need a high quality screen capture.

This is exactly why doing this mode right will probably be quite challenging (and also time/money consuming). If we decide to create a third-person replay mode, we'll need to spend a lot of time on creating the player's model and very accurate animations (to avoid what happens in Mirror's Edge).

Toma

This is exactly why doing this mode right will probably be quite challenging (and also time/money consuming). If we decide to create a third-person replay mode, we'll need to spend a lot of time on creating the player's model and very accurate animations (to avoid what happens in Mirror's Edge).

Yeah, but I am really glad you are looking into it at least and try to figure out what might be feasible instead of ruling it out completely :)

Hermii

I guess we'll know by tomorrow once the stretch goals are announced and since its programmed in Unity, I suggest you keep an eye on the stretch goals tomorrow.

If its Unity it should be relatively easy to port it to all consoles?

Fedele

The first flash demo was a really interesting concept, but I will only back it if they add PS4 support, even as a stretch goal.

Spierek

If its Unity it should be relatively easy to port it to all consoles?

The first flash demo was a really interesting concept, but I will only back it if they add PS4 support, even as a stretch goal.

We've been planning to make PC/Mac/Linux versions of SUPERHOT for the initial release and handle console ports after that, but then again we weren't expecting to get funded within a day, so hey - anything can happen.

And another one down!

773f418072c10a736e87fc75d903cb22_large.png

Project Update #5: Second stretch goal reached
6f61ad81c983596fcbacc84b0db3898f_large.jpg

Thanks to your help we’ve managed to get past another of our stretch goals! As promised we’ll introduce a Speedrun Mode in SUPERHOT - if you happen to have any feedback about features that you’d like to see implemented into this game mode, be sure to mail us at contact@superhotgame.com.

And now, let’s introduce a new stretch goal:

If we get to $230,000 we’re going to add a New Game + mode to SUPERHOT. This is one of our favorite features - after beating the game you’ll unlock a set of modifiers (which you can turn on and off) that will drastically alter your next playthrough. This is going to be stuff like "katana-only playthrough", "unlimited ammo", "SUPERHARD difficulty" or "rainbow-colored enemies" (that final one might actually not make it into the game, but we'll see).
I want that Katana-only playthrough. What's the likelihood of getting Meta Gear Rising-style dismemberment in the game? Because that would look awesome in slow mo

Spierek

I want that Katana-only playthrough. What's the likelihood of getting Meta Gear Rising-style dismemberment in the game? Because that would look awesome in slow mo

Having real-time mesh splitting in slow-mo is something that I was personally experimenting with, and right now I'm not sure if we can achieve that. The thing is, cutting in Metal Gear Rising was probably developed by a group of really, really good programmers (I'd love to meet them, by the way) and it still required a lot of smoke and mirrors. It's not immediately visible during a normal playthrough because the game is very fast-paced and fluid; but when we tried to do something like that in SUPERHOT, it looked a lot worse (and it required a huge amount of processing power).

Wow...at the speed this is going you'll probably need at least another two stretch goals. $400k seems possible o_O

Haha, that's true. Don't worry, we still have a few aces up our sleeve.

Fedele

We've been planning to make PC/Mac/Linux versions of SUPERHOT for the initial release and handle console ports after that, but then again we weren't expecting to get funded within a day, so hey - anything can happen.

Thanks for your reply.

According to this Kicktraq projection, SUPERHOT is trending to around 860k by the time the funding ends - I guess that's enough for porting it to the PS4, no?
Say yes, c'mon, I really wanna play this.

Dziękuję! :)

Question: how does the checkpoint structure function? Will players restart at the start of a level or right before the encounter they just died at? I keep hearing that you're modeling this after Hotline Miami in some ways, but I feel like pistol-starting from the beginning after death would add tension to the game in many ways.

Toppot

$65k away from Level Editor! Only 20 hours to raise it =/

Now is the time to think about raising your pledge. I'm considering going up to $25 tier.

New update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375798653/superhot/posts/929898
Yes! We can now definitively and happily answer one of the most frequently asked questions we had: SUPERHOT will be available on Xbox One! The launch is set at the same time as the full release on PC/Mac/Linux. Microsoft is also being super helpful and are making sure that this won’t delay the PC release by a single day nor will it detract any resources from the PC version. We will have more information on this to share later but wanted to give you our this exciting update.

In other news:

We’re trying out samples from t-shirt factories to make sure they are something you’d love to wear! What do you think?
ed48bb26d17f44a4bb79a03ff1464190_large.jpg

The development itself is going super smoothly now that we have a place of our own. A lot of things are being tried out both in core gameplay and in the level design

9d8OW4u.gif
OyWpzzB.gif

This is a special day for us, since we started working on SUPERHOT exactly 1 year (and 3 days) ago! This is how the game looked like on the third day of development. Such a colourful blast from the past :’)

New update:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375798653/superhot/posts/957272
Today marks the first full year since SUPERHOT launched!

And It's been quite a year indeed! From a prototype made in 7 days, through showing it on conventions and conferences, endless work in tweaking and polishing it and skyrocketing on the internet, to this amazingly successful kickstarter and finally a steady stream of making progress! Come join us behind the scenes with this 1 year retrospective, random footage!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FgtNLieims

Buckle up everybody! It's only going to get more awesome from now!

New progress update
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/375798653/superhot/posts/1002075

A bunch of new GIFs
wNiGaa4.gif

Many more here
http://imgur.com/a/tVFBW

Recent development changes include:

- You can now kill the enemy by throwing him off the ledge! See him shatter on the ground while you jump right after him to retrieve his gun!
- Melee enemies! Shoot the enemy before his punch reaches your face and clocks you out. And watch out, they circle you and try to get behind your back!
- There’s a new enemy model, simplified and 200% more stylish!
- Also: brand new player's hand! No floaty guns anymore. Sorry all poltergeist simulator fans!
- Lots of tiny optimisations in the code, making the game run smooth (60fps framerate doesn't come easy) with all the destruction and crystal shattering physics!
- Glass shattering is now integrated into gameplay more tightly - shattering a window distracts your enemies and can be used as a tactical advantage. Distract them even more by throwing THEM into glass.
- Many, many level prototypes (boardrooms,tall staircases, flashy nightclubs, expensive beach houses, elevators made of concrete, cheap hotel rooms and more!)
- Throwables! You can take any black crystal object (a bottle or a billard ball for example) from the level and use it as a weapon to stun the enemy. And then reach for his gun!)

Top Bottom