• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Superhot Kickstarter by Superhot Team Goal: $100.000

I hope they reach the goal. I played the prototype last year and I loved the idea, and now I want to see the concept expanded into a full game.

wait wait wait

I was never told you could CUT BULLETS IN HALF WITH A SWORD in this game. Is that new? Also, why won't my computer take the money I'm throwing at the screen right now?

BraXzy

Backed. I hope it hits its goal, even though it'll probably come out anyway it'd be nice for the devs to get a bit of help to keep going.

I've liked the look of it somce I saw early videos, I didn't realise there was an early playable version. The online text based game ia fun though.

Holy shit, yes! Backed this as fast as I could. The prototype was easily one of the coolest most stylish concepts I had seen in a while and it was one of those games just exploding with potential and promise, begging to be expanded into something bigger and better

This needs to be happen. This needs to get funded. And given their track record of support and exposure, I have no doubt they'll reach and surpass their goal.

Also one of the developers is a GAFfer, so yeah...support this game, guys

I just wish I could get one of those sweet t-shirts then 75 bucks. Seriously though, I really hope that this either succeeds or it get picked up by MS or Sony, because this game looks incredible. If we don't get it, then Fuck Dave Lang.

Spierek

Swords? I can slice bullets in half with a sword?! If I hadn't already backed...
And could you share the name of the track playing in the trailer?

The music in the trailer / most of the KS video was custom made for us by sumprunk, and the outro of the KS video is AdhesiveWombat's Anthem.

moffattron9000 said:
I just wish I could get one of those sweet t-shirts then 75 bucks.

It's great to hear that you like them :D We're probably going to offer them for sale after the campaign ends, so you'll be able to get one then.

Why am I so excited about this Kickstarter? I wrote this last year about the prototype
Originally created for the 2013 Seven Day FPS challenge, SuperHOT promises to take the concept that so enamored indie gamers and expand it into a full-length experience. The game's key mechanic is that your movement and the passage of time are linked: run around and time moves at a normal pace, move slow or stand still and time inches to a crawl.

The idea of time moving only you move turns the simple act of shooting into death-dealing art, as you dance around bullets and carefully target your foes. The minimalist visuals only add to the beauty of slow motion killing, as enemies crumple from your gunfire and blood sprays gracefully through the air; the red-white pallet makes every shot, every impact stand out. The gameplay itself is most akin to a first person Hotline Miami. You die in one hit and each gun has limited ammo, so staying mobile is critical to survival. You have you constantly have to be on the move, be counting your shots, be positioning yourself, and be aware of your enemies and surroundings. These factors, combined with rudimentary stealth and melee systems, make SuperHOT feel more like a combat puzzle game than a simple shooter.

The existing version only lasts a few levels, but is endlessly replayable and entertaining due to the inherent style and finesse of the mechanics. Blue Bricks has high ambitions for the full game:

SUPERHOT can go many directions and we would like to take all those roads. Imagine a shootout in a hectic car traffic - where you have to avoid cars and bullets. Imagine a shootout in a building being demolished, with everything falling in slow motion. We want more then rooms with people and I hope that we can deliver that.

While it may not be that long or that deep, it's an fantastic promise of what's to come. The minimalist visuals and slow motion turn the act of blowing enemies away into an art as bullets creep across the screen, blood flies in elegant arc. But SuperHOT is more than a pretty facade; the core mechanics remain tight and satisfying even after my many playthroughs and your vulnerability and limited ammo promotes caution and planning over reckless action.
The game is more than your usual FPS. It's puzzle action with a gun, it's art in motion, it just feels badass to play. And that was just the prototype.

Superhot Kickstarter? He backed that.

bf9.gif

Nabs

I remember first seeing this in the GAF Indie Dev thread and reposting it 50 times here. It made me happy to see how popular it became. Here's hoping that hype extends to the KS.

Spierek

Hope you are already working on your ideas for the stretch goals to keep the momentum once this inevitably hits 100k in the next few days. You just made 15k in 3 hours.

Fortunately I've already planned for this. We've got some fun stretch goal ideas, some of them have been heavily requested by the community.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Fortunately I've already planned for this. We've got some fun stretch goal ideas, some of them have been heavily requested by the community.

Very cool to hear :) Looking forward to see them. Also please add PayPal pledges once you hit your goal. Euros cant back via KS.

The game you just linked was from 2014, SuperHot was an early 2013 prototype.

Edit: Damn you Badass. You just got revenge for the KS post in the Indie thread, didnt you?

My bad. I knew I had heard the idea from somewhere before and didn't do due diligence.

Spierek

Very cool to hear :) Looking forward to see them. Also please add PayPal pledges once you hit your goal. Euros cant back via KS.

Yep, but we want to do that in a couple of days since Kickstarter might get a bit upset if we introduce it too early. We'll probably handle PayPal backing via the Humble Widget, but I'm not sure of that yet.

kulapik

This game was so good. It would be a shame for them to not make their goal. You should add the link of the free version to the OP for people to check it out.

Its not a flash game.

Luckily it never was a Flash game.

I thought the prototype was pretty interesting, but I don't know how well it would hold up for an entire game.

1. This isn't a Flash game.
2. What makes a Flash game so bad? Lots of awesome Flash games exist, they're not all Puzzle Bobble ripoffs.

Nice immediate drive-by troll.

Love the concept, glad to hear the KS is off to a good start.

This is a very poorly thought out shitpost.

First post doesn't nail it.

Super hot had more interesting ideas in a demo than all shooters combined the last five years.

So few words, so much ignorance.

Backed.

I dun goofed then, I thought it was a flash game, not Unity. I played it though, and although it wasn't my cup of tea, it had a very good concept. That creepy final level should go away tho.

KHlover

Banned
Reporting for duty. Really glad to see all these positive reactions in the thread :)

Best luck for the Kickstarter (not that you need it, seeing how 20% of the goal is already reached :p)!

I can honestly say that the 10 minute proof-of-concept demo you guys released back in Sept. 2013 was the one of the most fun experiences I've had with any game that year. The concept behind it, the artstyle, the actual execution - just awesome *_*

And now the KS video blows my mind again. The new artstyle and the additional gameplay elements seem like a natural progression from the initial concept, while remembering what made it good in the first place.

Keep on rocking, guys.

I would LOVE to fund the game, but KS only seems to accept Credit Card payment via Amazon. Mighty No. 9 set up a way to donate via PayPal, do you plan on doing that, too?

Yep, but we want to do that in a couple of days since Kickstarter might get a bit upset if we introduce it too early. We'll probably handle PayPal backing via the Humble Widget, but I'm not sure of that yet.
EDIT: Ah, seems like you already answered that. IIRC Mighty No. 9 also handled PayPal via Humble Widget, so you guys should be good to go once Kickstarter approves. Take my money then :D

Let me take a wild guess: console versions, multiplayer/co-op, level editor/Workshop support. among other stuff

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I would LOVE to fund the game, but KS only seems to accept Credit Card payment via Amazon. Mighty No. 9 set up a way to donate via PayPal, do you plan on doing that, too?

Look 5 posts above and your question shall be answered.

Toma

Let me take a wild guess: console versions, multiplayer/co-op, level editor/Workshop support. among other stuff

MP/Coop sounds like a nightmare. Imagine the amount of cooperation it would need if time moves for BOTH players if one player moves.

Corto

I loved the prototype! A really original and fun twist on the FPS genre. I'm in. I just hope they have more success than the last KS I supported.

Orayn

I dun goofed then, I thought it was a flash game, not Unity. I played it though, and although it wasn't my cup of tea, it had a very good concept. That creepy final level should go away tho.

Your comment wouldn't have been appropriate even if it was a Flash game originally. Whether or not a game can run in a browser should have no bearing on its value.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member

Why not? I've never had any trouble with it.

Xater

25% funded already!

Certainly going better than the Harmonix Kickstarter. ;)

I do like ho this Kickstarter is set up. The team did well here. You can already play the prototype and they show how things will be improved with the full game. Makes it an easy sell because the concept is just really cool.

Toma

Debit card through Amazon Payments.

Alright, then the correct statement would be: Credit Cards are not as common in Europe as in the US, which leaves out quite a few customers if you dont have PayPal pledges.

Personally not a credit card owner either.

Top Bottom