• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed Xbox 720/Durango Kinect 2 XDK image from DAE

Dgott

Banned
Did you or any character on screen say 'Xbox' first as that's the only way it would activate the command menu..

No one said Xbox, but it doesn't happen ever when I unplug the Kinect. Plug it back in and it'll do it about 3-4 times per week.

Is there any word on how the Kinect 2 will be distributed? Is it standard issue this time? Default interface for all? Because I'm never using it.

The best thing Kinect can be used for (besides keeping the 7 year old entertained) is "Xbox: Pause" and "Xbox: Play". It's amazing not having to look for the remote when the phone rings or I need to get up really quick. Walking back in the room and just saying "Xbox: Play" has changed my life.

I've calibrated it, moved the speaker, re calibrated it, run the vocal app and everything and it still decides to stop the movie.

One time I was watching a movie and the guy yelled "Watch the exits!" guess what? Kinect decided he was talking to it and exited my movie.

I've had this happen once or twice but not nearly as often as you mentioned. It probably happens as many times as I've accidentally sat or moved an arm or something onto the remote and accidentally paused.

AngryMoth

I'm glad ms is continuing to invest in Kinect because it is brilliant technology for UIs, but it will always have limited applications for gaming, hope they have realised that by now (doubt it though). Ideally it would be built into your tv not your game console.

Alx

I'm glad ms is continuing to invest in Kinect because it is brilliant technology for UIs, but it will always have limited applications for gaming, hope they have realised that by now (doubt it though). Ideally it would be built into your tv not your game console.

They realized it before they even released it... UI features were always at the top of the specifications (cf how hard they had to work to have voice commands work with sound coming out of the speakers and without a button).
Don't be blinded by the game marketing, kinect is and always has been a UI device, and motion games are just one of its many uses.

Just so it is clear, this was the Xbox 360 alpha kit :
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v450/Borman/PICT4490Medium.jpg[IMG]
Looking "low budget" means nothing. I can dig up my Xbox Alpha Kit pictures if you want.[/QUOTE]

Once I saw someone talking about alpha kits I knew it was you posting. :P

onQ123

limited for controller based games but there is more out there than controller based games & a better kinect should be perfect for the new generation of games that are just short fun games to play with new types of controls like all the tablet / smart phone games.

these types of games reach a wider audience than the normal controller type games so being able to play them on your console will be a plus & something that MS,Sony & Nintendo do not want to miss out on & if they do they will fall behind next gen.

onQ123

PrimeSense™ Unveils Capri, World's Smallest 3D Sensing Device at CES 2013

TEL AVIV, Israel, Dec. 11, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- PrimeSense™ (http://www.primesense.com), the leader in Natural Interaction and 3D sensing solutions, today announced the launch of its next generation embedded 3D sensor, Capri, demonstrating a revolutionary small form factor and low cost. PrimeSense will debut Capri as part of its World of 3D Sensing suite at the Renaissance Hotel in Las Vegas, January 8-11 at the 2013 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES).
PrimeSense's breakthrough reference design utilizes Capri - PrimeSense's next-generation of depth acquisition System on Chip, with improved algorithms including multi-modal 3D sensing techniques. Capri System on Chip together with the new Reference Design provides the most versatile 3D sensing platform available today, in the tinniest form factor, making it ideal for embedding in consumer electronics devices such as PCs, All –in-One PCs, tablets, laptops, mobile phones, TVs, consumer robotics and more. Samples for development and integration for leading OEMs will be available by mid-2013.
"Using cutting-edge technologies, our newest generation of sensors is robust, accurate and affordable," said Inon Beracha , CEO, PrimeSense. "With a mind-blowing size reduction, Capri's size is about x10 smaller than the PrimeSense's current generation of 3D sensors and it is certainly the smallest 3D sensor in the world. Capri is small enough to fit into today's most popular Smartphones while still providing the highest depth performance (short and long range). We see Capri adding depth sensing and Natural Interaction to numerous devices and markets, revolutionizing the user experience and usability in ways that no one could imagine until now".
PrimeSense will demonstrate the Capri at the 2013 International CES in its suite: Renaissance Hotel, second floor Capital room, Las Vegas January 8 – 11.

PR Newswire (http://s.tt/1wzu8)

I wonder if Kinect 2 will be using PrimeSense new sensor?

Alx

Very interesting. I wonder if this mini-sensor will have similar range as the current sensor : since the current one has similar constraints as stereo vision, making it smaller would reduce the precision at bigger distances. And if they target integration in phones or laptops they wouldn't need a big range anyway.

Alx

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding, I bumped this three weeks old thread because of the last messages that mentioned a new Primesense device that should be unveiled at CES. The 720 SDK thing is old rumors.

Yeah sorry for the misunderstanding, I bumped this three weeks old thread because of the last messages that mentioned a new Primesense device that should be unveiled at CES. The 720 SDK thing is old rumors.

Make a new thread next time.

Top Bottom