• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Supposed Xbox 720/Durango Kinect 2 XDK image from DAE

Borman

Just so it is clear, this was the Xbox 360 alpha kit :
PICT4490Medium.jpg

Looking "low budget" means nothing. I can dig up my Xbox Alpha Kit pictures if you want.

I did a quick google search for "durango xdk" and found this:

http://microsoft-durango-xdk.software.informer.com/

http://microsoft-durango-xdk-documentation.software.informer.com/

This seems to be a site which checks your installed software for updates (not affiliated to Microsoft), and it seems they have an entry for this software, version 3.0 (Xbox 3?). There is also a download link to Microsoft:

https://edadfs.partners.extranet.mi...%2fPages%2fhome.aspx&wct=2012-08-10T07:34:11Z

But you need an account to access those files. Was the name "XDK" (instead of "SDK") used before?

Do we think your old achievements will carry across to the new system?

Was just wondering this the other day dunno if it had been addressed or not.

ekim

Gemüsepizza;40864135 said:
I did a quick google search for "durango xdk" and found this:

http://microsoft-durango-xdk.software.informer.com/

http://microsoft-durango-xdk-documentation.software.informer.com/

This seems to be a site which checks your installed software for updates (not affiliated to Microsoft), and it seems they have an entry for this software, version 3.0 (Xbox 3?). There is also a download link to Microsoft:

https://edadfs.partners.extranet.mi...%2fPages%2fhome.aspx&wct=2012-08-10T07:34:11Z

But you need an account to access those files. Was the name "XDK" (instead of "SDK") used before?

This is definitely new in the index although it isn't covered when you filter your result after "last month". I searched for the same string multiple times in the last weeks. Either SuperDAE made the entries to support his fake or ... I dunno.

This is definitely new in the index although it isn't covered when you filter your result after "last month". I searched for the same string multiple times in the last weeks. Either SuperDAE made the entries to support his fake or ... I dunno.

Could be possible, it is probably quite easy to make such an entry. I don't know what to think of this guy, he seems to be weird. ^^

ekim

The download link reads something like this: developer.xboxlive.com&wctx=rm=0&id=passive&ru=/en-us/platform/Pages/home.aspx&wct=2012-08-10T07:56:50Z
(doesn't work though - something wasn't decoded correctly)

Last dev software picture that was "leaked" by him looked like the basic XNA tools you can download and use for free as a Student.

The last leak was VS 2012 running on probably a non final version of Windows 8 (as Aero glass was in full effect):

If this is real its plausible that VS is used for main code development and then theres additional tools in another application called MS Xbox Studio. Again, this fits in with that Ruffian Games QA Tester profile as he used MS Visual Studio as well.

ekim

The Xbox Studio seems to be some kind of a debugger specifically for Xbox features - you can't develop something without it.

Borman

The last leak was VS 2012 running on probably a non final version of Windows 8 (as Aero glass was in full effect):

If this is real its plausible that VS is used for main code development and then theres additional tools in another application called MS Xbox Studio. Again, this fits in with that Ruffian Games QA Tester profile as he used MS Visual Studio as well.

Visual Studio has been used since the Xbox 1. And it is currently used for the Xbox 360.

lherre

Accurate
Gemüsepizza;40864135 said:

MS always names its xbox sdk's as "XDK" (xbox development kit software)

ekim

The Verge Report

It's hard to tell whether the image is real, but one of our own sources says this is a genuine test sample. Microsoft is working with the Durango Xbox Development Kit (XDK) and the user interface is the same as shown in the picture, according to one person familiar with Microsoft's Durango work.

StuBurns

Banned
Is there any word on how the Kinect 2 will be distributed? Is it standard issue this time? Default interface for all? Because I'm never using it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is there any word on how the Kinect 2 will be distributed? Is it standard issue this time? Default interface for all? Because I'm never using it.

Considering their current focus on kinect I'm betting my left kidney that kinect 2 is going to be built/bundled in.

Withnail

Considering their current focus on kinect I'm betting my left kidney that kinect 2 is going to be built/bundled in.

I just wonder what that's going to do to the price though. I think there's a good chance they will do a multi-SKU strategy, one without Kinect.

onQ123

I just wonder what that's going to do to the price though. I think there's a good chance they will do a multi-SKU strategy, one without Kinect.

maybe Kinect is just as cheap to make as a wii controller now so the added price isn't as much & MS feel like it's worth the hit just to have them with every console.

Withnail

maybe Kinect is just as cheap to make as a wii controller now so the added price isn't as much & MS feel like it's worth the hit just to have them with every console.

But this is Kinect 2, and some people are also expecting the console to have crazy specs.

There are definitely benefits to having it bundled with every console though. Maybe MS will just take the hit as you say.

If it's built in, How can it detect you correctly then? because the current kinect detects you by moving the device up and down using a mechanical motor and it must be located somewhere that makes it easy for the device to see you.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
If it's built in, How can it detect you correctly then? because the current kinect detects you by moving the device up and down using a mechanical motor and it must be located somewhere that makes it easy for the device to see you.

63.jpg

Alx

Why is the kinect data so flat? There is no depth being shown at all on the bodies.

It's a map of distance to the sensor, without any shading for depth effect. The volume is represented by color only (probably with a 256 levels resolution), so subtle depth differences appear as small changes in color that are hard to perceive. But you can notice that body parts that are closer to the sensor (heads, hands) are "greener" than other parts (feet).

so any pixel counters in the house?

I don't think it's a full-res picture, since I estimated the width resolution at 160 pixels, and it's only half of what the current kinect usually does, and 1/4th of what it can do (on the other hand, it's a very clean image with almost no noise and clean contours).
Of course maybe it's not a kinect image at all.

ekim

Anyone to count the pixels? :)

Quick math: 200x165 pixels

5+5 kinect pixels are contained in a 14x14 picture pixel rectangle.
size of the cropped picture = ~565x464
565/14*5 = 200
464/14*5 = 165

Edit: it is inaccurate, because the artificial rectangles on the picture change in size and actually there are like 4 1/2 pixels per 14x14 rectangle.

There haven't been many games that have taken advantage of it besides Dance games. Is that really worth this much research and development money?

The better it becomes, the more doors open. Steel Battalion, for example, just doesn't work well due to the limitations of the current Kinect hardware and its ability to read complex gestures consistently. I can't put a resolution on this image of Kinect 2, assuming it's real, but the data is significantly cleaner. Outlining a hand with individual fingers flat against a stomach is a massive improvement. Kinect 1 would struggle to recognise fingers with a hand held out in the open at full body distance.

Whether this improvement will result in Kinect interactivity that appeals to core gamers remains to be seen. The only way to find out is producing the hardware that lives up to its vision. Stopping research because Kinect was a bit janky in its infancy would be premature. Especially given that the concept of Kinect seemingly did appeal to millions of people.

Dgott

Banned
I wonder if it will recognize every finger movement

93e508fc.jpg

I hope the Kinect 2 recognizes this finger movement next time it decides to stop the movie I'm watching just because the person on screen yelled stop!

You guys have that happen? My Kinect is close to my center channel speaker and it picks up vocal lines from the movies and decides to pause or exit the movie on its own.

93e508fc.jpg

I hope the Kinect 2 recognizes this finger movement next time it decides to stop the movie I'm watching just because the person on screen yelled stop!

You guys have that happen? My Kinect is close to my center channel speaker and it picks up vocal lines from the movies and decides to pause or exit the movie on its own.

Mine never did... I suppose that's what the audio calibration is for. Did you changed or moved your furniture since your last calibration?

ekim

93e508fc.jpg

haha :D

jaypah

93e508fc.jpg

Nope, and I've actively tried to force it to happen by watching a Kinect instructional video. Even with the actual commands coming from my speakers it doesn't respond. Did you do the audio calibration?

Dabanton

It better it becomes, the more doors open. Steel Battalion, for example, just doesn't work well due to the limitations of the current Kinect hardware and its ability to read complex gestures consistently. I can't put a resolution on this image of Kinect 2, assuming it's real, but the data is significantly cleaner. Outlining a hand with individual fingers flat against a stomach is a massive improvement. Kinect 1 would struggle to recognise fingers with a hand held out in the open at full body distance.

Whether this improvement will result in Kinect interactivity that appeals to core gamers remains to be seen. The only way to find out is producing the hardware that lives up to its vision. Stopping research because Kinect was a bit janky in its infancy would be premature. Especially given that the concept of Kinect seemingly did appeal to millions of people.

Plus it will obviously be used to interact with the system in other ways.

I find it hilarious that I basically talk to my Xbox 360 to find things fast and quickly interact with the UI.

Voice and body control will be a big thing going forward. Already you can see that TV manufacturers are having the same kind of tech in their HDTV's so MS getting in their as one of the first and acclimatising people to this kind of stuff bodes well for them moving forward.

As for games some worked better than others Kinect Sports is still amazing in how it just works. Some though were just beyond broken Steel Battalion was an absolute mess. I have seen lots of very interesting experimental things on the Kinect Fun Lab that point towards things that would be awesome to build on 'Air Band' would be something that would awesome if it could pick up fingers better.

But MS has a good base which they have obviously been steadily improving can't wait to see the updates to it.

Dabanton

Did you or any character on screen say 'Xbox' first as that's the only way it would activate the command menu..

Dgott

Banned
Mine never did... I suppose that's what the audio calibration is for. Did you changed or moved your furniture since your last calibration?

I've calibrated it, moved the speaker, re calibrated it, run the vocal app and everything and it still decides to stop the movie.

One time I was watching a movie and the guy yelled "Watch the exits!" guess what? Kinect decided he was talking to it and exited my movie.

Top Bottom