• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

thuway

There is a little too much win in that Surfer Girl Rumor post. Here are a few thoughts -

A) I REALLY HOPE - if true - Sony is translating Legend of Dragoon / Trico / SOTC HD at the same time for a simultaneous world wide release. The JRPG audience is dying for a next gen PS3 RPG experience. I wonder how SE will feel if a first party Sony JRPG supercedes the graphical quality of FFXIII :lol .

B) The 299 PS3 -is what I totally call bullshit. A 299 PS3 would be a stake in the heart of Sony's pocketbook. SCEWW would be better suited to reduce the costs further through shrinking chip dyes, cheaper production techniques, and ultimately introduce a slim-line PS3 (with a price drop, pack-in, and a relaunch) as soon as possible. I could see THAT happening by the end of this year.

C) PSP Price Cut should not happen. The profit generated from the PSP is offsetting the losses on PS3.

D) Syphon Filter with the Killzone 2 engine sounds incredible. However, I'd kinda like them to use the Uncharted engine :D. I'm willing to be this is the secret PS3 game.

E) An IG Action RPG, properly marketed, with compelling characters, could be the biggest win for SCEA.

kuYuri

Screw the HDD size, it's not about that at all. No more features can be removed from the PS3 at this point, or they will effectively gut the system. Sony just needs to get the price down on the current 80GB period.

thuway

SolidSnakex said:
Legend of Dragoon 2 will likely never happen due to how expensive it'd be to make.

SCEJ has been quiet for a little too long. The only category Sony really lacks in is the RPG genre. However, I'll say this, I'd prefer a new IP over Legend of Dragoon.

DuckRacer

Benjamin1981 said:
Somehow they have to differentiate the new 40GB SKU from the 80GB SKU. HDD capacity is the only logical way,they can't take out the Blu Ray drive or Wifi.
But why would they differentiate in the first place? If for "marketing reasons," they'd be incredibly idiotic to do that since you're just artificially limiting your product to your own detriment. There's no plus side to reformatting HDDs down to 40GB.

You may as well drop the current 80GB to $300 and drop the 160GB to $400.

thuway said:
SCEJ has been quiet for a little too long. The only category Sony really lacks in is the RPG genre. However, I'll say this, I'd prefer a new IP over Legend of Dragoon.

I'm not saying that they won't make another RPG, especially since L5 has already suggested that they'd make another Dark Cloud. But I don't think it'll be LoD. It was released when JRPG's were at their height in terms of popularity. So throwing a huge budget behind it wasn't a big deal. Now, that's probably not such a good idea.

Although interestingly LoD was one of those rare JRPG's that performed significantly better in the west than it did in Japan. It also got a lot of attention from people because it outsold Chrono Cross. I'm just not sure if it has the name recognition needed to pull off huge sales in the west again.

CHRP718

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
I'm not saying that they won't make another RPG, especially since L5 has already suggested that they'd make another Dark Cloud. But I don't think it'll be LoD. It was released when JRPG's were at their height in terms of popularity. So throwing a huge budget behind it wasn't a big deal. Now, that's probably not such a good idea.

Although interestingly LoD was one of those rare JRPG's that performed significantly better in the west than it did in Japan. It also got a lot of attention from people because it outsold Chrono Cross. I'm just not sure if it has the name recognition needed to pull off huge sales in the west again.
New IP is the way to go for a Sony made JRPG.

Shadow780

thuway said:

I'd take LoD HD remake over any new IP.

zeelman said:
I thought White Knight Stories was supposed to be their new JRPG IP? Wasn't Sony planning on buying Level 5?

No, L5 doesn't want to be bought by anyone. Hino said a long time ago that they were working hard in order to finally be able to publish their own games (which they now do in Japan).

choodi

Banned
GDJustin said:
I know this topic just got megabumped, but re: the convo happening last fall, about who surfer guy/girl was, I'll say this -

I crossed over from games journalism into bizdev / ad sales, and the first thing that struck me is is that I'm SHOCKED there aren't 10X more leaks coming out of this side of the business.

Sales individuals sling around unannounced titles extremely casually. Probably because they don't know (or care) that the game is in fact unannounced. I began managing the ad space on a handful of game websites, and I would get calls regularly (I'd say once a week) that generally were like "Hey, we have this FPS (or RTS, or platformer) that's releasing in Nov. - here's a fact sheet on it. Does this match your demographics? Do you have ad space available between these dates?"

...and probably 7 times out of 10 the game would be some sequel or new IP that hadn't been announced yet, because ad lead times are very extreme - the ads are sold months in advance.

My hypothesis about why more of this doesn't leak out is because these sales people are hired to be good at SALES - not to be good at "videogame knowledge." They could sell game ads one day, and Teen Cosmo ads the next. The subject matter doesn't interest them. So when they see "Kid Icarus Wii" (or whatever) cross their desk it means nothing to them. They just know they need to hit Teen males with it.

It is a journalist's job to develop sources so that they can get access to this type of information.

The thing is that the gaming press is dominated by sites like IGN and others where they are basically subservient to advertisers and publishers and they employ people without any journalistic skill, training or experience to write for them. If the information is there and these so called journalists cannot find it, then they are not doing their job very well at all.

The reason this type of information never surfaces is that the publishers have too much control over the "journalists" and the "journalists" are weak and can't do their job properly.

Surfer girl is the closest thing that gaming has ever had to a real journalist, even if some of the information may have been wrong.

daegan

thuway said:
SCEJ has been quiet for a little too long. The only category Sony really lacks in is the RPG genre. However, I'll say this, I'd prefer syphilis over Legend of Dragoon.

:D

In all seriousness, where the hell is WKC? They need that over here.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
choodi said:
It is a journalist's job to develop sources so that they can get access to this type of information.

The thing is that the gaming press is dominated by sites like IGN and others where they are basically subservient to advertisers and publishers and they employ people without any journalistic skill, training or experience to write for them. If the information is there and these so called journalists cannot find it, then they are not doing their job very well at all.

The reason this type of information never surfaces is that the publishers have too much control over the "journalists" and the "journalists" are weak and can't do their job properly.

Surfer girl is the closest thing that gaming has ever had to a real journalist, even if some of the information may have been wrong.

I disagree. It doesn't come to life because Games Journalism is entertainment journalism.

IGN, Game Informer... they are E! Entertainment, not 60 Minutes. It's all fluffy.

Shiggy

True:
7) A2M is working on Indiana Jones for people who cannot stand to play consoles with the number three in the name--DS/Wii/PS2/PSP.
1) That Avatar game that Ubisoft Montreal is working with will ship with high-quality stereoscopic 3D glasses (like the ones that you get when you see an IMAX 3D film).
4) A2M's Indiana Jones title, which has had a far more stable development, follows same plot its big next-gen siblings, but in an alternate universe sort of way. Waggle-lovers shan't worry, Wii is the lead SKU for the title.
3) Codemasters is publishing a Hollywood simulation akin to the The Movies.(You're In The Movies)
3) Yes, Onimusha 5 is coming out [in 2009] for PS360. So are Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2.
3) As previously mentioned, the last crack at a new Road Rash was a PS360 affair over at the now-defunct Warrington studio. Despite no new plans currently existing for another Road Rash, the prospect is being contemplated.
2) N-Space is going back to its roots with a PS(t?)Wii60 license music game aimed at the tween demo. They have also apparently finished development on their version of The Force Unleashed and are in the midst of development of a new dual screen title. No word on whether they are still Nintendo's Floridian inamorata.
I learned a few days ago [Red Dead Revolver 2] was a sequel, not spiritual successor (yes, that information was wrong), coming to PS360, official announcement later this year, release [in 2009].
4) Activision has a tie-in for next summer's X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Originality! Excelsior!
4) Even though Sega Superstars Tennis is not doing particularly well, Sumo Digital is working away on "a new entry in a venerable Sega sports franchise that draws upon the team's previously-established expertise."

This is partly true:
4) Ancel's studio also has a "kinda epic but kinda expected" Wiixclusive (not named Beyond Good & Evil 2), apparently on track to ship for this holiday season.

These were true, but changed due to the Brash thing:
2) A sequel to 2007 GOTY Alvin and the Chipmunks is on its way.
1) Factor 5 has not abandoned the PS3, despite yesterday's announcement appearing to indicate the contrary. Also, some may mishear one of the company's forthcoming projects as Toucan Sam title.

I keep believing the Zelda rumour ;)

MoogPaul

Askia47 said:
Onimusha 5 is True? Any proof?

I assume it's bolded because that is the part that turned out to be true. Although, 2/3rds of the statement being true may give more credence to the other 1/3rd.

MoogPaul

Shapingo said:
PS360, was in its press release

well that's just not true.

"Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced that Lost Planet 2 is being developed for the Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, following an exclusive announcement on Xbox LIVE that happened Monday, February 23."

although, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't come out on the ps3 since it's running on MT

pakkit

Banned
Shiggy said:
This is partly true:
4) Ancel's studio also has a "kinda epic but kinda expected" Wiixclusive (not named Beyond Good & Evil 2), apparently on track to ship for this holiday season.
How is that only partly true?

Iain Howe

don't ask me for codes
Surfer 'girl' has a penchant for spreading untruths - whether that's by design to cause mischief, or due to wholly unreliable sources, I'm not sure.

I remember blinking in surprise at some of the cack that 'she' spread about KZ2 when I was on the Dev Team and knew damn well it wasn't true.

Kifimbo

3) Yes, Onimusha 5 is coming out [in 2009] for PS360. So are Dead Rising 2 and Lost Planet 2.

So there is a slightly better chance that one of the games Capcom will show next week is Onimusha 5.

Test Drive Unlimited 2 info & screenshots have already been leaked out on the TDU Central forums, so it is confirmed. It will be officially unveiled at e3.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Iain Howe said:
Surfer 'girl' has a penchant for spreading untruths - whether that's by design to cause mischief, or due to wholly unreliable sources, I'm not sure.

I remember blinking in surprise at some of the cack that 'she' spread about KZ2 when I was on the Dev Team and knew damn well it wasn't true.

Same for me.

Whenever Surfer "Girl" gets negative towards a particular studio or team, it's bullshit. He's some dev reject with issues.

StuBurns

Banned
But he did get a lot right didn't he? And from lots of different studios and publishers. I don't know, but I can't imagine developers openly discuss their secret projects with random developers.

I thought it was great when he slammed Shane's BioShock PS3 rumor and week later they announced it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
stuburns said:
But he did get a lot right didn't he? And from lots of different studios and publishers. I don't know, but I can't imagine developers openly discuss their secret projects with random developers.

I thought it was great when he slammed Shane's BioShock PS3 rumor and week later they announced it.

In a lot of cases it was rumors already found on other sites, or obvious outcomes.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Every time I open this page, my antivirus pops up a message about blocking a connection to a virus site (apparently, it's blocking the site where Hiro_Kunimi_80's avatar is hosted). Does it happen to anyone else?

abstract alien said:
That would be awesome as long as it was handled like prime 1. I loved all three btw, its just that prime 1 was the most "metroid" of them all. E3 cant come soon enough..
You mean shoehorned into a 1st person perspective because the dev team can't figure out how to get a 3rd person engine running properly? :p

Jocchan said:
Every time I open this page, my antivirus pops up a message about blocking a connection to a virus site (apparently, it's blocking the site where Hiro_Kunimi_80's avatar is hosted). Does it happen to anyone else?

that happens to me as well

GrotesqueBeauty said:
You mean shoehorned into a 1st person perspective because the dev team can't figure out how to get a 3rd person engine running properly? :p
Well, they could have released the broken 3rd person version and not the perfectly functioning first person one :p

Wait...you are probably right, they just might try a damn first person zelda with motion plus :lol I wouldn't know what to think...Id probably have the same dumbfounded look on my face as I did when we heard about prime.

Top Bottom