• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sven says No plans to bring EX Troopers westward at this time.

Squire

Banned
How so? It looks like just about any other action game, except it's cel-shaded and has potential. It wouldn't kill them to bring out the PS3 version, at least.

Though it's most egregious just because Capcom from last-gen would've brought this over without a second thought. Look at the sorts of games they gave us then -- even mediocrity-fests like Crimson Tears were allowed a US release. And now when Capcom has something that looks legitimately promising and has at least the hardcore fanbase's interest... they just deny it? What else are they doing over at Capcom US that demands their attention?

It'll be interesting to see where Capcom is in five years when all their goodwill they built up over the years has finally disintegrated into nothing.

Capcom was one of my favorite pubs last gen, yeah.

The market's changed and EXT absolutely does not look like every other shooter. It's appearance is incredibly anime and in the states, unless we're talking about a Naruto game, that's a death sentence.

How many times does a game like this (and for the record: I'd eat up EXT. Have nothing against it) need to sell less than 500k and be declared a flop before people will get it?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

The market's changed and EXT absolutely does not look like every other shooter. It's appearance is incredibly anime and in the states, unless we're talking about a Naruto game, that's a death sentence.

How many times does a game like this (and for the record: I'd eat up EXT. Have nothing against it) need to sell less than 500k and be declared a flop before people will get it?

Less than 500k is "flop" status now? That's the problem more than anything, but for the record, there's no way even a significant sum less than 500k wouldn't give Capcom a return on the localizations costs. Especially if they do a digital-only release.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

The problem is that the game already exists. How much would localization cost? I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a whole lot. More importantly, I can't imagine even an animu game being released by Capcom in the US, and it not making enough money to not only recoup the localization costs, but turn an appreciable profit. How are they going to lose money on bringing an already-made game West? If they're afraid of tarnishing their image, then there are a lot of things they might want to look into before putting the kibosh on games like this.

Codeblue

I think I'm just going to import an LL instead of buying another NA 3DS if publishers are going to keep being weird about localizations.

Less than 500K will cover the costs of translating + publishing.

Who have top ranking execs who have some strange notion that the only way to profit is to only sell games with gritty settings and protagonists.

Anything that seems remotely Japanese isn't worth bringing over. Hense westernisation.

But is own fault that that is what they think is "Western" . The western studios don't have better luck with clones of COD

Effect

That's it. I'm done with Capcom. Between this, Mega Man Legends 3 (and Mega Man in general), Monster Hunter on the 3DS, and no RE6 when it comes to the Wii U..ugh. F them. Tired of the damn games they're playing with those looking forward to their products. Waste of limited time to continue to follow what they do.

This is another thing that feeds my concern regarding the Wii U if the bulk of it's support comes from Japan. Same thing currently with the 3DS. Lack of timely localization or no localization at all and no western support of any quality to fill the void.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The problem is that the game already exists. How much would localization cost? I'd imagine that it wouldn't be a whole lot. More importantly, I can't imagine even an animu game being released by Capcom in the US, and it not making enough money to not only recoup the localization costs, but turn an appreciable profit. How are they going to lose money on bringing an already-made game West? If they're afraid of tarnishing their image, then there are a lot of things they might want to look into before putting the kibosh on games like this.

That's what it comes down to. Capcom is sitting on money by not bringing this over, the game is already made. They have the option to go release it only digitally thus ensuring they don't have to worry about taking a loss on disc manufacturing/retail stuffing, or whatever. There's no way it wouldn't recoup the cost to translate the text and QA it. For a game like this, even voice acting is optional.

Like I said, they're sitting on money. They just don't want to pursue this because it isn't OMG MILLION PLUS SALES IN ONE WEEK!!! big bux, and apparently that's the only thing that they'll consider these days.

Squire

Banned

Less than 500K will cover the costs of translating + publishing.

You guys are talking about spending little money and breaking even and I get it.

But I imagine for Capcom it's less about "how inexpensive is this?" and more "How much we will we ultimately make? Because if it's not going to hit a certain number we have multiple/every reason to believe it won't, why waste our time?"

I imagine "Because some people REALLY want it." isn't a reason they nor their shareholders give a shit about, to be frank.

I'm no expert, but that's my take.

Over your point and click harem stories?

EX Troopers looks way more intriguing, you pander-loving VN otaku should look into it more.

1. Have you even looked at the Ace Attorney games before? You give off the impression of a bandwagon hater.

2. Do you know what hypocrisy is?

Danny Dudekisser

You guys are talking about spending little money and breaking even and I get it.

But I imagine for Capcom it's less about "how inexpensive is this?" and more "How much we will we ultimately make? Because if it's not going to hit a certain number we have multiple/every reason to believe it won't, why waste our time?"

I imagine "Because some people REALLY want it." isn't a reason they nor their shareholders give a shit about, to be frank.

I get that, but where could their resources possibly be going instead? Obviously, we don't know for sure, but I can't imagine them having a stable of sure-fire hits they're investing in instead.

And again, they've gotta know that they are slowly but surely eliminating their fanbase.

A wise company knows that establishing brand loyalty is the greatest asset to have outside of profitability. Capcom has worn out its good graces with the fans. The moment they stop making good games, no one will care that they are gone. Even Sony, which has actively screwed its fans on several occasions, has more loyal fans. It's important to release your titles to your audience.

SmithnCo

Well, Wright does surround himself with women.

And this guy.

jRCpZ7yZMCB4L_e.jpg

Harem story CONFIRMED

Squire

Banned
I get that, but where could their resources possibly be going instead? Obviously, we don't know for sure, but I can't imagine them having a stable of sure-fire hits they're investing in instead.

And again, they've gotta know that they are slowly but surely eliminating their fanbase.

I would love an answer to that myself. I mean, Capcom's fucking stupid at this point. No spin needed; they just are. I don't know what they're doing now or in the future. I'm pretty confident LP3 will be a tanker and they probably spent at least 3x what this would have cost. Probably overconfident in the brand.

JordanN

Banned
100k would probably cover that easily, but it's hard to know the specifics.

It's been said 3DS games have budgets around 0.6-$1.8 million so it would need to sell 15-45,000 to break even although I'm not sure if that includes translation/distribution etc.

7Th

By the end of 3, Wright has at least 4 potential love interests. HAREM CONFIRMED.

Yes, Edgeworth counts.

Yeah! Who cares about this people called consumers and Fans?

Although they probably should considering all the good will that has evaporated in the last months.

The 3DS catalogue just still seems so bare in Europe of anything that doesn't have "Mario" in the title, and that doesn't seem set to change over the next few months. It's a little depressing. We need niche, interesting titles like this.

That's the thing, aren't all the menus in Japanese? Not to mention the language, i kinda like to know what the hell is going on when i play a game and this seems pretty dialogue heavy..

Fair enough. The story was totally absurd for the first 2 Lost Planet games so I don't care at all. I'm happy to guess my way through the menus and jump right in.

Squire

Banned
A wise company knows that establishing brand loyalty is the greatest asset to have outside of profitability. Capcom has worn out its good graces with the fans. The moment they stop making good games, no one will care that they are gone. Even Sony, which has actively screwed its fans on several occasions, has more loyal fans. It's important to release your titles to your audience.

Yeah! Who cares about this people called consumers and Fans?

Although they probably should considering all the good will that has evaporated in the last months.

You're both right, but I don't trust Capcom to know/remember that.

Danny Dudekisser

And this guy.

jRCpZ7yZMCB4L_e.jpg

Harem story CONFIRMED

This evidence is damning :(

I know. Not because of my legal education, but because I have played so much of these games. This is the kind of shit that gets you convicted in a court of law, or public opinion. Judge Judy can't save your ass no more.

creid

Normally I'd complain that everyone should know by now that "no plans" doesn't mean "not coming," but in this case it probably does.

Mileena

Banned
No big loss.

The 3DS catalogue just still seems so bare in Europe of anything that doesn't have "Mario" in the title, and that doesn't seem set to change over the next few months. It's a little depressing. We need niche, interesting titles like this.
It's not just EU. It's anywhere outside of Japan.

RedSwirl

If Bravely Default doesn't get localized then I think the 3DS will be in danger of falling prey to the same problem the Saturn did - where too many of its hits are Japan-only. This is especially a problem for the 3DS because western developers don't bother with dedicated handhelds at all. Do Capcom and the rest realize that Japan is pretty much the entire output of 3DS games?

Top Bottom