• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch does seem to record activity data, unlocks after a week.

For some reason, actual playtime doesn't show until a week after you've first played a game. Really weird.

A week after you first played the game it'll show is what I'm thinking

Edit: Beat

Got it! Thanks for clearing that up! That's what I thought it meant, but then some posters started talking about it showing up after 100 hours and it confused me. Pretty neat!

L~A

For some reason I hadn't made the connection that it was the system logging it, but rather assumed it was all being done by the app.

Yup, the app says it gets the data from the console via the internet (not sure of the exact wording, though).

Mine has always said it this way since the beginning. But it's always vague, like "Played for 35 hours or more". If I view other peoples profiles, then I see "First played X days ago".

Weird, not mine, will check again.

Wonder what will unlock after two weeks

giphy.gif

Reki

What? Nice to know, I guess. I hope we get a proper app in the future, though,
just to feel ashamed of the hours spent to unlock every support in FE.

Zafir

It's really weird it takes a week to activate for a game.... I hope they change that.

I also hope they expand on it. I love being able to see all information on the time I've spent playing stuff.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I mean cool but....

Why does it only unlock after a week?

It doesn't really "unlock" after a week, but during the first week of placing a certain game it will show "First played X hours/days ago", then switch to hours played. This is intended for showing others what you've been playing, more than yourself.

Won't stop me from using a timer until it's proven to be more exact, but it does make me really happy to see it. If it's in the profile does that mean it'll be viewable by friends too? That's going to be neat.

For yourself? Or are you limiting playtime for your kids or something?

zenspider

Awesome! Sadly, Activity Log is in my top 10 in Activity Log (3DS), but I'm glad because parentl controls is not cutting it with no breakdowns per title if multiple games are played in a day. How am I supposed to talk to my kids?

I mean, I don't want to nitpick, but why not do something like Steam where it's at least accurate down to the hour? What's the point of an arbitrary distinction like every 5 hours?

Buzzi

I don't think it can be tracked differently from the parental control app, is it rounded by 5 hours there too (not talking about the daily but the whole history/month)?

Better than nothing, but it's another half baked concept on Switch, and it wasn't even hard to implement a front-end to show already tracked data.
Hope they'll complete the job by the time I buy it.

Its good they're surfacing this stuff a little at a time, having full access to an Activity Log from the get go could overwhelm alot of players.

I'm getting Super Mario Maker flashbacks from this thread.

All they have to do is use the 3DS Activity Log on the Switch. That thing was great. I also wish the Switch had Street Pass. Oh well.

Limited to five hour increments?
Twenty games only?
Unlocks after a week?

Fucking Nintendo. It's great that it's in there but why do they have to go out of their way to be pricks about everything all the time? Just fucking show the stats normally you twats.

alexbull_uk

At least there's some basic functionality there. Might mean that a real activity log is coming eventually.

Found out Saturday that turning on parental controls shows time too in real time. Add 10 hours or so from Friday and you'll have my total playtime

Are those numbers per day??

oti

Banned
Found out Saturday that turning on parental controls shows time too in real time. Add 10 hours or so from Friday and you'll have my total playtime
DIY4laP.png

Does that count hours in Standby too? Because if not... HOW ON EARTH DID I SPEND 20H IN THIS GAME ALREADY I HAVEN'T EVEN DONE THAT MUCH AAAAAARGGGHHAAAAA

daebo

I don't think it can be tracked differently from the parental control app, is it rounded by 5 hours there too (not talking about the daily but the whole history/month)?

Better than nothing, but it's another half baked concept on Switch, and it wasn't even hard to implement a front-end to show already tracked data.
Hope they'll complete the job by the time I buy it.

Nah, mine seems down to the minute.

daebo

Does that count hours in Standby too? Because if not... HOW ON EARTH DID I SPEND 20H IN THIS GAME ALREADY I HAVEN'T EVEN DONE THAT MUCH AAAAAARGGGHHAAAAA

Honestly don't know since I was never in downtime. Mine is legit. And about done with the game.

Madao

Well, that means the data is there. They still can make a proper Activity Log with it later (in theory, don't have much hope).

or wait until there's a better one with homebrew.

with the Wii it was like that. the data was in it but the best way to check your stats is with a homebrew program.

DIY4laP.png

It only shows the total time played per day across all games though - or at least I haven't found a way to see the details for each game. So it's not that useful if you play a lot of games simultaneously.

daebo

It only shows the total time played per day across all games though - or at least I haven't found a way to see the details for each game. So it's not that useful if you play a lot of games simultaneously.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I've only played zelda so, simple so far but add more then it's an issue

emb

I'm glad to hear it. Wish it was down to the minute, and available right away. But five minutes ago I was ok with just not having it, so having access to ball park numbers is pretty nice.

Does it require a system update? I haven't connecting to the Internet yet.

Top Bottom