• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Roof-top Parties: How many have managed to recreate this prestigious event

Niwa

Just had this scenario on the balcony, I love this goddamn console.

We played a ton of Puyo Puyo Tetris & Mario Kart

Looking back it's pretty interesting how effective that marketing was. The rooftop thing in the commercial seemed a little silly when I first saw it but it actually seems to be pretty close to the experiences that people are having with the system and a big reason why people are embracing it. It is kind of feels like a new experience that's different than a console or a handheld and that's kind of refreshing.

RedFox85

Posted in the Mario Kart thread but this one is way more appropriate!

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the Switch OT or here but I saw this on the front page and wanted to share this story with fellow GAF members. I had to work overtime today at work and I decided to bring the switch + Mario Kart 8D with me to pass time on my breaks and lunch, which is something I also did with Zelda and something I honestly thought I would NOT use the switch for. I have been proven wrong on just how fantastic this thing is as a hand held, I have owned 3ds's and DS's an VITA's and PSP's and I don't think I ever brought those to work more than a small handful of times but I LOVE taking the switch with me. So as I was setting up to play Mario Kart this guy at another table came over and asked "what is that?" I told him it was the new Nintendo and he started asking questions about it and telling me how he was sort of a lapsed gamer (in his mid to late 40's) and hasn't really kept up with the hobby but had allot of nostalgia for Nintendo and Mario Kart.

After talking for a minute or two I looked at him and said, "you wanna play?" and he kind of lit up and said "Sure! You don't mind?" but when I took out the kickstand, took off the controllers he had this look of bewilderment that was pretty hilarious and I explained to him that I meant play two player to which he exclaims "Wait you can do that?" it was pretty funny and honestly this whole story sounds like something out of some stupid Nintendo PR video or case of use scenario but yes it happened just like this. For the rest of the break and at lunch / other break periods he always showed back up to play more. He actually beat me which I am not ashamed to admit and walked away from the whole experience saying that he wants to buy one. He took a picture of the console and sent it to his Son who immediately replied, "I WANT ONE" it was pretty funny. I felt like one of those people at Best Buy running a demo for a Sony or Nintendo product for the public, answering questions and showing off features.

I just thought it was really cool that this device and this game in particular (Mario Kart) were able to fulfill something that many of us (myself included) thought of as a BS marketing point. When I saw people playing the switch in table top mode in trailers/advertisements I just kind of laughed and said "nobody is going to do that crap!" but today I was proven wrong and I liked the fact that I was proven wrong. I also found it funny that this dude with rather large hands didn't once complain about the controller, I asked him about it and he said "you know we are so used to playing games on phones and tiny touch screens, no this doesn't really bother me." which I hadn't considered.

TL;DR Mario Kart is AWESOME the multiplayer is fun and the switch is the perfect platform to get people interested. The availability of MULTIPLAYER anywhere with anyone is huge and should not be shrugged off.

Also it's awesome to stumble upon this thread after just typing that up, other people are having this experience too!

Nia

I was going to see my younger cousins for the first time in a long time today, so I figured I'd bring the Switch over and see if they wanted to play Mario Kart 8. They had heard of the Switch, but never tried it. They were impressed when I showed them what it could do, and when we started playing we just completely lost the concept of time.

At the end they said it was the most fun they ever had. They begged me to bring it again. It wasn't on a rooftop, but it was an experience.

Platy

that moment when your buddy invites you to a brewery during the week and you realize you can bring your Switch with you and play Mario Kart while drinking

I'll probably end up leaving it at home but the fact that I actually considered it..

You have to bring at least a mini table like place because if you drop some beer on it....

Eliseo

that moment when your buddy invites you to a brewery during the week and you realize you can bring your Switch with you and play Mario Kart while drinking

I'll probably end up leaving it at home but the fact that I actually considered it..

I will never mix mario kart and alcohol again, last time my friends and I did it...shit ended up badly x_x

Hip Hop

2 1 Switch work at parties?

I know it got reviewed pretty badly but would alcohol and friends involved make it fun in a good way?

Nairume

Banned
2 1 Switch work at parties?

I know it got reviewed pretty badly but would alcohol and friends involved make it fun in a good way?
It depends on both your group and the minigames you pick.

Different groups are going to have different tolerances for the kinds of games in 12S, and those games vary wildly in quality.

squall23

I can't fathom it.

I've never seen games be a thing at parties other than Rock Band a few different times. I've seen MvC3 or SFIV being played by a few people, but they seemed to be kind of withdrawing from socializing anyways. I don't see why Switch would be something novel that people would be interested in at a party other than because it's new.
Growing up, I was the Asian game nerd
that was also good at sports
. I wasn't really part of the cool kids groups but I did befriend some of them. There was this one guy that was a very casual gamer but really loved Disney stuff and Final Fantasy. He was ecstatic when I told him about Kingdom Hearts. Every time he invited friends over or hosted a big party, he'd ask me to watch him play KH1/2 for 30 minutes to an hour and then begged me to help him get past portions that he was stuck in.

Whether those gaming moments changed people's opinions about buying a game or video games in general didn't really matter to me, but they still gathered a crowd. Most importantly however, I'm still friends with the guy after 15 years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I can't fathom it.

I've never seen games be a thing at parties other than Rock Band a few different times. I've seen MvC3 or SFIV being played by a few people, but they seemed to be kind of withdrawing from socializing anyways. I don't see why Switch would be something novel that people would be interested in at a party other than because it's new.

I mean nintend consoles specfically mario kart wasn't that rare at youth functions and rare parties at someones house. Though FiFA is still king. Just easy entertainment for people to talk over. It's more of casual thing with friends than something with relative strangers though.

Posted in the Mario Kart thread but this one is way more appropriate!

Wasn't sure if I should post this in the Switch OT or here but I saw this on the front page and wanted to share this story with fellow GAF members. I had to work overtime today at work and I decided to bring the switch + Mario Kart 8D with me to pass time on my breaks and lunch, which is something I also did with Zelda and something I honestly thought I would NOT use the switch for. I have been proven wrong on just how fantastic this thing is as a hand held, I have owned 3ds's and DS's an VITA's and PSP's and I don't think I ever brought those to work more than a small handful of times but I LOVE taking the switch with me. So as I was setting up to play Mario Kart this guy at another table came over and asked "what is that?" I told him it was the new Nintendo and he started asking questions about it and telling me how he was sort of a lapsed gamer (in his mid to late 40's) and hasn't really kept up with the hobby but had allot of nostalgia for Nintendo and Mario Kart.

After talking for a minute or two I looked at him and said, "you wanna play?" and he kind of lit up and said "Sure! You don't mind?" but when I took out the kickstand, took off the controllers he had this look of bewilderment that was pretty hilarious and I explained to him that I meant play two player to which he exclaims "Wait you can do that?" it was pretty funny and honestly this whole story sounds like something out of some stupid Nintendo PR video or case of use scenario but yes it happened just like this. For the rest of the break and at lunch / other break periods he always showed back up to play more. He actually beat me which I am not ashamed to admit and walked away from the whole experience saying that he wants to buy one. He took a picture of the console and sent it to his Son who immediately replied, "I WANT ONE" it was pretty funny. I felt like one of those people at Best Buy running a demo for a Sony or Nintendo product for the public, answering questions and showing off features.

I just thought it was really cool that this device and this game in particular (Mario Kart) were able to fulfill something that many of us (myself included) thought of as a BS marketing point. When I saw people playing the switch in table top mode in trailers/advertisements I just kind of laughed and said "nobody is going to do that crap!" but today I was proven wrong and I liked the fact that I was proven wrong. I also found it funny that this dude with rather large hands didn't once complain about the controller, I asked him about it and he said "you know we are so used to playing games on phones and tiny touch screens, no this doesn't really bother me." which I hadn't considered.

TL;DR Mario Kart is AWESOME the multiplayer is fun and the switch is the perfect platform to get people interested. The availability of MULTIPLAYER anywhere with anyone is huge and should not be shrugged off.

Also it's awesome to stumble upon this thread after just typing that up, other people are having this experience too!

That's awesome.

The holidays are going to be nuts.

Jezbollah

Shall this be the Official Show Off Your Switch Life thread? I think so!

Here's mine:

Rooftop enough?

9X2MThn.jpg

Love flying with the Switch:

k2HaVsL.jpg

SM8qDp3.jpg

Truer words have rarely been spoken

Do you have pics of your Italian takeout lunch?

RAWRferal

I'm a tall guy, but I still feel like the screwed up the angle on the kickstand a bit too much for me. I have played in tabletop though, just with the tablet precariously balanced in my carry case, it's fine on flat stable surfaces, but I'm guessing it won't be so great on the move.

This and the charging port on the bottom are my only complaints about this otherwise fantastic machine.

those fucking baby controllers look so uncomfortable, my hands are cramping just looking at them.

They're more comfy able than you think. Besides being able to get two controllers out of the box makes it worth it. Besides if thebowner of the console is letting you play, can you really complain about the controller? If you, as a guest, care that much then just buy s pro controller or something.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I'm a tall guy, but I still feel like the screwed up the angle on the kickstand a bit too much for me. I have played in tabletop though, just with the tablet precariously balanced in my carry case, it's fine on flat stable surfaces, but I'm guessing it won't be so great on the move.

This and the charging port on the bottom are my only complaints about this otherwise fantastic machine.
Buy the Hori playstand. It elevates the console which allows for a better viewing of the screen and charging while playing. You also have the option to set the stand in three different angles. I highly recommend it.

those fucking baby controllers look so uncomfortable, my hands are cramping just looking at them.

It's fucking terrible, easily the worst controller solution of the last 2 decades

Even putting them into the grip is a shitty controller

Separated and on the switch is totally fine though.

The Lamp

I try to do more tabletop settings but the poor battery life and the stupid fucking decision to not be able to charge and use tabletop sometimes hinders that. But I have brought it to friends places to demonstrate for short periods of time.

What sorta square ass parties do you go to? I seen more than enough fifa played at parties to tell this isn't exactly true.

Depends on the party and tone. A small house party with some chips and booze and friends having small conversation circles is great for some video game side content.

A dark dancefloor is not the atmosphere for a video game.

Depends on the definition of Party. What if you're all adults, mostly married or paired up. That's when the board games and video games come in.

This is correct.

the sex

that's what mature adults do at parties

they do the sex

Sex is fake, dude. Let it go.

drink, eat finger foods and wish you were at home playing video games.

You're describing everything I've ever been to. Weddings, children's birthday parties, award ceremonies, an average work day, etc. You'll have to be more specific.

I'm gonna make this my goal for the summer. We already have beer gardens in rooftops across the city when summer hits. Switch sounds like a great way to make those even more fun!

......In fact now I am actually thinking about setting one up for my company.....

It is easy to see who has the Switch and who doesn't, by reading these posts...

Portable instant multiplayer machine was seriously a genious idea. People have been moving forward from that annoying grimdark military brownpants thing that was going on for so long and embracing colourful fun again. It can be seen on every platform.

Nintendo is on top of the trend wave again (not as the trendsetters, remember, only caught the current well), that's when you get everyone aboard. This tiny little thing has some strong appeal and people WILL get it for parties and such when it gets even more easily played multiplayer games.

Top Bottom