• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sales top 280,000 in the U.S. in April, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tops 550,000 (US)

jonno394

That's awfully low for month 2, and sales in JP have gone off a cliff lately too (down to 40k ish weekly, to a now weird 20k ish).

Supposedly it is still very hard to find, which is somewhat reassuring for now?

Wtf is Nintendo doing with production?

how is 40k sales a week in japan "gone off a cliff". 40k-50k has been the average weekly sales for switch since week 3. This most recent week is "gone off a cliff" though, down to 24k, but reports are that it's still sold out. Awful supply for that week.

zelas

The 3DS second month was 90k units worse. The Switch outsold 5 months of US 3DS sales in its launch. You serious man?

Like I said, "guess." I shortly found out about the 3DS number in the archive. Can't find a DS number.

But who said anything about LTD sales? At minimum the Switch should be smashing the 3DS launch numbers (3ds launch debacle, Switch combining console and handheld market), that's hardly anything to draw inspiration from. Like I said their handling of the stock situation is mind boggling.

NolbertoS

Man, thats low, but its Nintendo's fault they didn't ramp up production. You can't just ranp up production like turning on a light switch. You got to do this several months in advance and Kimishima took a conservative approach and only had low hardware numbers made and I don't blame him after the Wii U production failure. Now that Nintendo has a hit, they either have to buy some factories or work out better deals to make them quick. Also with supply being scarce, it will keep demand high all summer, leading to a crazy holiday in sales

Kolx

Nintendo shipped only 280k for MK8 month? even for 2 days that's very low. Where is all the shipment going?

Like I said, "guess." I shortly found out about the 3DS number in the archive. Can't find a DS number.

But who said anything about LTD sales? At minimum the Switch should be smashing the 3DS launch numbers (3ds launch debacle, Switch combining console and handheld market), that's hardly anything to draw inspiration from. Like I said their handling of the stock situation is mind boggling.

How is the Switch not smashing the 3DS launch? The second largest hardware launch ever in the US and 44% up on 3DS's second month despite huge supply issues.

What am I missing?

Elandyll

Banned
how is 40k sales a week in japan "gone off a cliff". 40k-50k has been the average weekly sales for switch since week 3. This most recent week is "gone off a cliff" though, down to 24k, but reports are that it's still sold out. Awful supply for that week.
Because as important as the JP market is, specially for Nin, while they should be able to produce 1M+ Switch units a month, at least 300k of that should be for that market, ergo at least 70-80k unit sales per week.

Fredrik

Man, thats low, but its Nintendo's fault they didn't ramp up production. You can't just ranp up production like turning on a light switch. You got to do this several months in advance and Kimishima took a conservative approach and only had low hardware numbers made and I don't blame him after the Wii U production failure. Now that Nintendo has a hit, they either have to buy some factories or work out better deals to make them quick. Also with supply being scarce, it will keep demand high all summer, leading to a crazy holiday in sales
Yup. And this will most certainly affect the holliday sales unless they ramp up the prodction right now. This is NES Classic Mini all over again. They just aren't ready for successes anymore. And this time they actually talked about hitting Wii figures beforehand but they still weren't ready when it's selling well.

How the hell did Nintendo underestimate the demand this badly? Iirc, the Switch entered production before fall last year. What the hell have they been doing at the manufacturer?

Instro

How the hell did Nintendo underestimate the demand this badly? Iirc, the Switch entered production before fall last year. What the hell have they been doing at the manufacturer?

One thing worth considering as part of all this is how retailers responded prior to launch. I doubt anyone was interested in carrying a big stock after the failure of the WiiU. Pretty sure the 3DS was overshipped for that matter.

I'm not sure this is Nintendo only. PS4 sold out pretty early and Sony was surprised they were selling millions so quickly. It's not end of the year where system sells are strongest. It's not like WiiU didn't happen, and I think 3DS were overshipped for a minute, especially at the $250 price point. I don't think there's anything wrong with Nintendo being conservative for a launch in March, and they are planning to increase production.

JoeM86

They got burned with the Wii U where they shipped 3m+ at launch and they sat on shelves. So they were more reserved with production and are now playin catch-up. It's not a quick process to make them you know

I contributed to both numbers :usa:

Hope to see a bunch of games announced at E3 because the hardware is great. Would hate to see it become a dust collector like my WiiU after Monster Hunter.

Wow. Depressingly low numbers.

Not because it sold poorly here. You can't find it anywhere. Depressing because this is another failure on Nintendo's part to not make enough hardware. They keep failing to hit when the iron is hot.

They would have sold every Nintendo classic that they made. They would have sold every 3DS that they made last year. Instead it was shortage after shortage.

Depressingly low? Not only are there severe stock issues, it's April.

aerts1js

This is a pretty big failure on Nintendo's part. I'd say unacceptable and risky. The market can change fast, what's hot now may be completely different in September.

They grossly overproduced Wii U. I imagine most wouldn't of expected Switch to be as in demand as it is and Nintendo likely rushed some of the April stock to March since they sold like 500k more than they were projecting in its first month

Disappointed to see these numbers. I never understood why companies don't produce massive # of units at launch for their consoles.

It's not "companies," it's Nintendo. Two months after launch, there wasn't any problem finding a PS4 or Xbox in stores.

It's hard not to get really mad at this. I don't really want a Switch (yet) but if I did, I'd be extremely frustrated.

They grossly overproduced Wii U. I imagine most wouldn't of expected Switch to be as in demand as it is and Nintendo likely rushed some of the April stock to March since they sold like 500k more than they were projecting in its first month

They need to work which of their products are shite and which are good and produce stock accordingly :)

spekkeh

Banned
It's not "companies," it's Nintendo. Two months after launch, there wasn't any problem finding a PS4 or Xbox in stores.

It's hard not to get really mad at this. I don't really want a Switch (yet) but if I did, I'd be extremely frustrated.
PS4 was sold out for four months over here.

XB1 wasn't. But that had little to do with production capacity lol.

spekkeh

Banned
280k is a paltry amount given the demand though. Nintendo should worry that the hype doesn't blow over because it's difficult to find. Though given that it's been apparently easier to find here yet I still get thirsty looks everywhere I whip it out, it will probably do fine.

Falchion

Hopefully they can ramp up production and get them on shelves so people can just walk in wherever and pick one up with no hassle.

Seriously, I hope whoever's in charge of predicting this stuff there is looking for another job. Because they're failing at this one.

they just look at what happened last time.

Oh Gamecube sold badly, let's not go mad on the Wii stock...

Oh we fucked up that Wii launch, let's not make that mistake again, let's make millions and millions of consoles...

Oh man we really over stocked on the damn Wii U and it sold like shite, let's not make that mistake again...

dcBZSnI.png

Is it really a stock issue? I haven't really seen any in stock here in NYC but my friends who work in retailers in Jersey say they always have Switches in stock.

llien

That's not really true. You have been able to get both versions from Germany's biggest electronic retailer (Media Markt/ Saturn) for a while, either through their website or their eBay page. Even right now both are readily available:

http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_switch-grau-konsolen-zubehör-2221515.html
http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_switch-neon-rot-neon-blau-konsolen-zubehör-2221517.html

Ebay prices are also a good indication for whether supply matches demand. There, people selling Switches are only getting about the same price that you'd also pay in a store.

Couldn't find neon on Saturn's site, but I stand corrected.

Is it really a stock issue? I haven't really seen any in stock here in NYC but my friends who work in retailers in Jersey say they always have Switches in stock.

Where in Jersey? I know at least four people who are looking every day can't find it anywhere besides GameStop's forced bundles.

NolbertoS

No, a friend from out of town said he saw some on a shelf which is proof there's no stock issues.

:p

Maybe in your state. Been travelling through the NW and checked all BB, Targets and they sell those Switches like hotcakes and within hours. Shortage is real around my parts. Might head to Canada on a long weekend aS I heard they have some Switches in stock in some BB, but than against its like $440 CDN with taxes so about $330 US

Someone posted a pic of people camping outside the Nintendo NY store overnight, taken just a few days ago.

It absolutely is a stock issue.

AmFreak

That's not really true. You have been able to get both versions from Germany's biggest electronic retailer (Media Markt/ Saturn) for a while, either through their website or their eBay page. Even right now both are readily available:

http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_switch-grau-konsolen-zubehör-2221515.html
http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_switch-neon-rot-neon-blau-konsolen-zubehör-2221517.html
Says 16 weeks for the red/blue?
The red/blue seems to be available nowhere online for 330€.
And that was the case whenever i checked.
And the gray seems to be only available at Saturn/MM (for 330€).

Shiggy

Says 16 weeks for the red/blue?
The red/blue seems to be available nowhere online for 330€.
And that was the case whenever i checked.
And the gray seems to be only available at Saturn/MM (for 330€).

Just changed. But in the last two week the neon one was constantly available on Saturn's Ebay page. Now it's just "click & collect" though, and availability is only given in larger cities.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/NINTENDO-Swi...#shpCntId&clk_rvr_id=1215861735353&rmvSB=true

Also, the 16 weeks note is not really accurate. Typically we get stock in more regularly, but who can be fully sure about Nintendo's shipments...

Top Bottom