• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch sales top 280,000 in the U.S. in April, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tops 550,000 (US)

Auraela

Banned
OléGunner;237107493 said:
Definitely good for Nintendo but they surely must figure out stock issues while the iron is hot and they have all this mind share.
I'm stretching this to worldwide as well, I mean its 2017 for goodness sake.

A drop of roughly 625k for a new system can be considered underwhelming imo i.e. 906k to 280k.

Ps4 had same problem on release constant supply issues

Auraela

Banned
PS4 had more stock than Switch has had. PS4 was like > 2 million in NA in two months compared to Switch's 1.1 mil.

Because sony chanelled everything to us to beat microsoft. Sony needed to put everything there and thats what they did. Nintendo seems to be spreading accross world with shipments

PS4 had more stock than Switch has had. PS4 was like > 2 million in NA in two months compared to Switch's 1.1 mil.

It also wasn't a global launch, so they had more stock they could allocate to the US. And it was in the holiday season, not March.

But none of that is important, no one's trying to compare the numbers, it's just disingenuous to say stock shortages only happen to Nintendo when the PS4 shortages were so recent.

Well makes sense since it released in the holidays.

Because sony chanelled everything to us to beat microsoft. Sony needed to put everything there and thats what they did. Nintendo seems to be spreading accross world with shipments

Sony just had more stock available. They shipped more than 1 mil world wide on day one. They had stock issues but had a far better stock situation than Switch.

Switch is heavily supply constrained and Nintendo needs to fix that pronto.

Edit: PS4 sold 4.2 mil in two months, so Sony shipped more than that within it's first two months. Huge difference in actual stock levels.

Vyrance

Hopefully in the coming months Nintendo can increase its production. I'm slightly interested in one myself so will be interesting to see what other new games they announce at E3.

Sony just had more stock available. They shipped more than 1 mil world wide on day one. They had stock issues but had a far better stock situation than Switch.

Switch is heavily supply constrained and Nintendo needs to fix that pronto.

Edit: PS4 sold 4.2 mil in two months, so Sony shipped more than that within it's first two months. Huge difference in actual stock levels.

Again I don't think comparing the numbers makes sense since they had completely different launch situations, but what do you think the Switch is currently at worldwide after its first two months? It was 2.7m after 1 month, and for this month we have about 500k between Japan and the US, so I'd guess something like 800-850k worldwide, bringing its total to about 3.5m. Which really isn't that far off of 4.2m.

So the stock situation is different by 700,000 units over the first two months, which could easily be attributed to the PS4 launching in the holiday season.

Again I don't think comparing the numbers makes sense since they had completely different launch situations, but what do you think the Switch is currently at worldwide after its first two months? It was 2.7m after 1 month, and for this month we have about 500k between Japan and the US, so I'd guess something like 800-850k worldwide, bringing its total to about 3.5m. Which really isn't that far off of 4.2m.

So the stock situation is different by 700,000 units over the first two months, which could easily be attributed to the PS4 launching in the holiday season.

First, it was 2.7 mil shipped. The 4.2 mil number is sold through. So Sony had more shipments than just that 4.2 mil figure.

Second, I'm not suggesting that Switch numbers are bad. I'm simply stating that it's more heavily stock constrained than the PS4 was.

Yes, the PS4 launched in holidays. But it launched to 1.3-4 mil and then the second month was 900k. That's far less of a drop off than Switch's second month (indicating more plentiful supply).

Except that PS4 had wider worldwide release than Switch. It also had fuck ton of more stock in Europe compared to Switch.

Amir0x

Banned
This does not make sense. Sony's launch i think was spread to even more territories than Nintendo, and they were sold out true but they also produced massive stock.

Nintendo simply needs to do better.

First, it was 2.7 mil shipped. The 4.2 mil number is sold through. So Sony had more shipments than just that 4.2 mil figure.

Second, I'm not suggesting that Switch numbers are bad. I'm simply stating that it's more heavily stock constrained than the PS4 was.

Yes, the PS4 launched in holidays. But it launched to 1.3-4 mil and then the second month was 900k. That's far less of a drop off than Switch's second month (indicating more plentiful supply).

Okay, so we basically agree that the reason the Switch is more supply constrained is because there have been smaller shipments than the PS4 because the PS4 launched in the holidays. Which is what I meant above.

Also, this is a discussion about two consoles which were/are virtually sold out worldwide, in which case shipments = sales (more or less, anyway).

The PS4 was sold out for months but Sony was also shipping a lot more consoles. The situations aren't really comparable.

Read the discussion above, in the first two months the Switch is likely only about 700k behind (EDIT: Worldwide that is). That's not that many more consoles shipped.

Bustanen

Expect that PS4 had wider worldwide release than Switch. It also had fuck ton of more stock in Europe compared to Switch.
In the Nordics we had very few PS4s 3-4 months in. In Finland I see Switches in every store I visit, might be the ridiculous price too..

Okay, so we basically agree that the reason the Switch is more supply constrained is because there have been smaller shipments than the PS4 because the PS4 launched in the holidays. Which is what I meant above.

Also, this is a discussion about two consoles which were/are virtually sold out worldwide, in which case shipments = sales (more or less, anyway).

Your attributing the reason to the stock issues as holidays but I think it's just Nintendo not doing a good job of it. Either due to expectations or what have you.

They have a stark drop off in the second month indicating that to be the case. Do you honestly think if PS4 launched in March, it would experience the same supply constraints that Switch has? No, it wouldn't have.

Your attributing the reason to the stock issues as holidays but I think it's just Nintendo not doing a good job of it. Either due to expectations or what have you.

They have a stark drop off in the second month indicating that to be the case. Do you honestly think if PS4 launched in March, it would experience the same supply constraints that Switch has? No, it wouldn't have.

Absolutely it would have. It likely would be alleviated faster because Sony can ramp up their production chain much more quickly than Nintendo can, but they would not have prepared a holiday launch-type amount of units for a March-April launch. Their production schedule would likely look similar to Nintendo's, where they plan for 2-3 million units for launch and then slow down to a steady rate throughout the year, eventually peaking in the holiday season.

I don't see why they'd plan it differently than that. Of course I'll readily admit Sony is more capable to adapt quickly to demand, but besides that (which is definitely an important factor) the plan itself definitely depended on the time of year in which it launched.

Thats not how it works. Demand doesnt fall off a cliff. In fact, in the case if Switch, it could accelerate significantly because of word of mouth.

wii u demand fell of a cliff, xbox1 demand also had a significant drop. my point is we don't know how it works, it go both ways, I was impressed how the switch as been sold out for so long, many were thinking it will probably do another million in April, but looking at these pathetic shipment numbers we know why.

Kangi

Well, those Mario Kart numbers are fantastic.

Considering how Japan's sales have been looking, May might not be any better in terms of shipments. I'm sure it's heartening that they're selling virtually everything they're shipping, but if they don't start ramping things up before Spla2n, they're bonkers-crazy.

I suppose its a good sign that the last two platform launches (PS4 and Switch) dramatically underestimated demand for the systems.

Dedicated gaming platforms aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

This does not make sense. Sony's launch i think was spread to even more territories than Nintendo, and they were sold out true but they also produced massive stock.

I'd wager Nintendo erred in the side of caution after the abysmal months Wii U had in 2013 and they've been somewhat caught on the hop by its success. If I recall correctly, Nintendo actually shipped fucking NEGATIVE Wii Us some months in 2013.

Square2015

Now we can add 8D:

Mario Kart series NPD debut:
Code:
Super Mario Kart           ~80,000-140,000?**
Mario Kart 64              354,000
Mario Kart: super circuit  107,000 (1st week)
Mario Kart: double dash!!  528,000
Mario Kart DS              222,000
Mario Kart Wii             1,120,000 (1st week)
Mario Kart 7               1,290,000*
Mario Kart 8               353,000
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe        460,000 (1st week)
*May not be exact NPD figure
**NP chart projection/speculation (had sold 550k by end of Dec 92)

wii u demand fell of a cliff, xbox1 demand also had a significant drop. my point is we don't know how it works it go both ways, I was impressed how the switch as been sold for so long, many were thinking it will probably do another million in April, but looking at these pathetic shipment numbers we know why.

Wii U demand never fell off a cliff because there was no demand to begin with. It was never sold out, the initial shipments were so high because retailers were anticipating extremely high sales, and then the next months shipments dropped off a cliff because there was never any demand whatsoever.

So it's a slightly different story this time.

Schnozberry

Well, those Mario Kart numbers are fantastic.

Considering how Japan's sales have been looking, May might not be any better in terms of shipments. I'm sure it's heartening that they're selling virtually everything they're shipping, but if they don't start ramping things up before Spla2n, they're bonkers-crazy.

They doubled their orders. Hopefully their supply chain starts delivering on that soon.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Disappointed to see these numbers. I never understood why companies don't produce massive # of units at launch for their consoles.

You have to start producing at a certain point. That means finalizing specs earlier which is of course a major decision.

You produce what you can based on your capacity. You are basically accumulating units for launch, but then hoping your steady state production is enough for each subsequent month.

Increasing capacity is slow, expensive, and risky. You ideally don't want to mess with it too much, or you end up with capacity not used (very expensive and wasteful). Nintendo is very conservative, so they tend to err on the side of not making enough.

They missed the mark considerably on the Switch's initial demand.

Contrary to some unsupported, silly beliefs, under supplying also costs you a ton of money. That is why Nintendo is allegedly upping capacity and also had to airship Switch units for the Mk8 launch to have something in stores.

Schnozberry

so it's a problem of supply instead of demand?

Yeah, supplies are being cleared out quickly after they are replenished, seemingly world wide. They doubled their orders, but it doesn't appear that the quantities have improved much in retail channels. It can also take a bit before additional manufacturing capacity can be realized. Additional manufacturing employees may need to be trained, or equipment may need to be reprogrammed/retooled, component manufacturers need to ramp up their deliveries, etc.

ksamedi

wii u demand fell of a cliff, xbox1 demand also had a significant drop. my point is we don't know how it works, it go both ways, I was impressed how the switch as been sold out for so long, many were thinking it will probably do another million in April, but looking at these pathetic shipment numbers we know why.

They did probably ship close to a million in april Worldwide. These are pretty good numbers and a good sign there is high demand.

The WiiU never was in high demand to begin with and last I checked, the xb1 is selling pretty well in the US market.

boiled goose

good with gravy

Yup. Nintendo SUCKS at understanding their own markets.

They lost a ton of money from Wii undershipments.

Had a disastrous 3DS post launch period.

Lost money on WiiU over production capacity.

Will lose money on Switch undershipments.

This is the company that thought WiiU would appeal to core gamers and publishers. To say they are sometimes out of touch is an understatement.

Is Nintendo in "printing money" phase again?

Presumably, once they are able to catch up to demand. The key here is that the switch is selling at $299, not $179. Imagine how many they're going to sell when they lower the price and have Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Smash, etc.

Their mobile apps are also doing very well.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Presumably, once they are able to catch up to demand. The key here is that the switch is selling at $299, not $179. Imagine how many they're going to sell when they lower the price and have Pokemon, Splatoon, Animal Crossing, Smash, etc.

Their mobile apps are also doing very well.

Software is the money maker.

No one thought it was gonna sell another 1 million in April.

Simply amazing to see people ignoring the fact that Nintendo could have never justified huge Switch shipments after the flop that was the Wii U and underwhelming 3DS sales. You'd almost think the last 6 years never happenend.

Everybody who's comparing this to Sony with the PS4 is ignoring that Sony was able to succesfully build momentum with the PS3 after the release of the PS3 slim. Enough to the point that the Playstation brand was in a good enough position to take over after Microsofts bumbling with DRM.

The Wii U on the other hand, was never able to regain any momentum at all. Because of that, Nintendo could have never justified shipping the same amount of Switches as Sony shipped PS4's back in 2013/2014. The numbers for that level of confidence just weren't there.

Same thing goes for the 3DS: a handheld that, until the second half of 2016, had peaked in sales in its second year and declined year on year despite the release of heavy hitter titles such as Pokemon. Regardless which lens you'd use for the Switch, sales are drastically outpacing those of their earlier platforms. There simply isn't a way that you would be able to quantify, predict and then justify that level of demand on the basis of those numbers.

To steal a good phrase out of my native tongue: it seems the best players are on the sidelines with Nintendo. But hey, Gaf am gonna Gaf amirite.

They did probably ship close to a million in april Worldwide. These are pretty good numbers and a good sign there is high demand.

The WiiU never was in high demand to begin with and last I checked, the xb1 is selling pretty well in the US market.

Wii U First 2 Months: 885K, yes i understand it was holidays, and the demand is not near the switch, but the first 2 months are close to switch yet sales fell of a cliff, now this being launched as the next handheld and console from nintendo with the biggest zelda ever, so it's gonna be interesting to see what happens after demand is met, i don't think it's gonna sell well till it reaches 200$.

No one thought it was gonna sell another 1 million in April.

why not? both sony and Microsoft managed to ship way more units then nintendo it's second month, i thought nintedno would have at least ship 600-700k for april.

Simply amazing to see people ignoring the fact that Nintendo could have never justified huge Switch shipments after the flop that was the Wii U and underwhelming 3DS sales. You'd almost think the last 6 years never happenend.

Everybody who's comparing this to Sony with the PS4 is ignoring that Sony was able to succesfully build momentum with the PS3 after the release of the PS3 slim. Enough to the point that the Playstation brand was in a good enough position to take over after Microsofts bumbling with DRM.

it's there next handheld and console, with a huge zelda title, 1.2 million in 2 months of course it wasn't gonna meet demand. even if they over shipped, they would sell eventually, come on now.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They need to keep the new games and ports coming. 3d world, tropical freeze, and metroid prime trilogy are really no brainers and potential multi million sellers.

Finn

Nintendo is somehow utilizing that faux supply constraint tactic to drum up excitement while also being incompetent in not producing enough stock to satiate the masses... and (according to GAF) doing both at the same time. That's impressive.

Top Bottom