• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to allow for "completely different" Fire Emblem, breathe life into characters

tebunker

Banned
You mean when characters actually had back stories relevant to the plot? As opposed to making every compatible and filling it with generic filler.
"Sorry, I kept throwing frogs on you."
"It's okay, I love your pranks and I love you, let's get married."

Yeah, I think prefer the way Path or Radiance did things. There's definite room for improvement though.

You're describing a new IP at this point. Or just a LOTR game.

You listen to the latest 8-4? They have about an hour and half talking with the original FE localization guys from Nintendo and they talk about other localization stuff re: FE too. Pretty insightful especially regaridng supports.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I do love the eugenics factor of children, but I don't think I'm willing to stomach more Awakening/Fates quality supports.

Customisable Main characters are likely here to stay in Fire Emblem. They're just another way of doing the Lord.

People liked Robin because they were well written. People don't like Corrin because they are badly written.

It's not an "Avatar" it's writing.

What if it's the writing because of them being an "Avatar"?

Babyshams

Customisable Main characters are likely here to stay in Fire Emblem. They're just another way of doing the Lord.

People liked Robin because they were well written. People don't like Corrin because they are badly written.

It's not an "Avatar" it's writing.

I disagree. I liked the beginning of Awakening because it was much more focused on Chrom, in the second half when that focus shifts to Robin it starts to suck. Fates sucked pretty much the entire time because it was so Corrin focused.

It seems the suckage is linked to writing around the MU.

I just want more expressive battle animations, more akin to the GBA Fire Emblem games. Echoes is pretty good but I keep fast-forwarding or skipping the battles because there isn't much too look at :/

NeonZ

What if it's the writing because of them being an "Avatar"?

The main character always will be an "avatar" in the sense of FEs 'avatars' though. They're their own characters, but written in an inoffensive and generic enough way people can somewhat project onto them. Just look at Alm.

When they first did a modernized take on him for Awakening's DLC he had a very aggressive personality in order to make him stand out quickly, but when he got to star in a remake of his original game they went with a much more moderate and balanced character, with the aggressive traits that had been given to Awakening Alm (like questioning the idea of befriending the enemy) being moved to the supporting cast.

Nanashrew

Banned
The main character always will be an "avatar" in the sense of FEs 'avatars' though. They're their own characters, but written in an inoffensive and generic enough way people can somewhat project onto them. Just look at Alm.

When they first did a modernized take on him for Awakening's DLC he had a very aggressive personality in order to make him stand out quickly, but when he got to star in a remake of his original game they went with a much more moderate and balanced character, with the aggressive traits that had been given to Awakening Alm (like questioning the idea of befriending the enemy) being moved to the supporting cast.

Well for Gaiden, it was from the outset that Kaga wanted to make relationships deeper between the player and its characters to broaden the central narrative. So that helps tremendously going in with that mindset.

MoonFrog

They aren't blank though, just badly written. You can get Xander threatening Corrin with death near end game if she was lying about Garon being a monster even if the Corrin is married to him by that point. If they were worried about the possibility of the player marrying him, and writing him in a generic way in the main story to avoid clashing with it, that scene wouldn't exist in the first place.

Several characters change the way they reference Corrin if they marry him or her, even if that ends up clashing with the story scenes that never acknowledge those relationships.

It's obvious the main story writing wasn't held back by the intermission features, it just was bad in spite of that.
Main story is, independently, bad yes.

It isn't helped by having characters that have to have skin flint ties to each other so a vast variety of narratives work.

You used to have characters in tighter narrative groups and some main story content that fit into that.

Also, throwing the castle realm into the game, throwing the time travel into the game to get there to be a reward to the breeding at the expense of the world building and narrative....

Again, go back to FE4. You have generations. You have breeding. You also have a generational story. You even have character groups with distinct narratives.

That's a game that balances breeding simulation and narrative ambition.

Awakening and Fates...you have a crap story twisted to meet breeding sim requirements. You have narratively empty characters to meet breeding sim requirements.

If they do children again I want them a) to have the guts to actually make it a generational story b) to have the guts to put greater restriction on the breeding and go a more classical support route.

ASaiyan

Banned
Having just backtracked to play Path of Radiance for the first time, full 3D models (even crude older ones) really do add something over and above 2D sprite maps. Wonder if they'll go back to something like this style for 16 on the Switch.
66764-Fire_Emblem_-_Path_of_Radiance_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-1.jpg

spiritfox

Having just backtracked to play Path of Radiance for the first time, full 3D models (even crude older ones) really do add something over and above 2D sprite maps. Wonder if they'll go back to something like this style for 16 on the Switch.
66764-Fire_Emblem_-_Path_of_Radiance_(Europe)_(En,Fr,De,Es,It)-1.jpg

I was thinking something like modern XCOM, except without cover mechanics (or maybe with, cover could be cool).

XCOM_EW_EXALT_CovertOps_Screen3.1381154900.jpg

NeonZ

You used to have characters in tighter narrative groups and some main story content that fit into that.

Unlike in Awakening where most characters are just random unrelated people that join Chrom's party, most party members in Fates are tied to specific characters, like each royal having two personal servants. That didn't magically make it a good story.

It's silly to point at arbitrary culprits for bad storytelling rather than the actual problems with each story. It just doesn't work like that.

Awakening and Fates...you have a crap story twisted to meet breeding sim requirements. You have narratively empty characters to meet breeding sim requirements.

FE4 also allowed you to pair anyone with anyone, and only some pairings got conversations out of that. It did have two set pairings too though, something that doesn't exist in the two modern games with the S ranking support system.

I disagree. I liked the beginning of Awakening because it was much more focused on Chrom, in the second half when that focus shifts to Robin it starts to suck. Fates sucked pretty much the entire time because it was so Corrin focused.

It seems the suckage is linked to writing around the MU.
First off, then game doesn't focus on Robin until the last third of the game. The problems with the middle third have nothing to do with Robin.

Second, Robin has defined personality, backstory, and place in the world. You could strip out the customization and their role in the plot would not change on iota. If you don't like Robin or Awakening's writing that's one thing, but the problems have nothing to do with Robin being a customizable character.

Mediking

I found the video of when Corrin was announced for Smash. THESE ARE THE GRAPHICS I WANT FOR FIRE EMBLEM SWITCH.

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/GZl5WK.gif[/IMG]

I found the video of when Corrin was announced for Smash. THESE ARE THE GRAPHICS I WANT FOR FIRE EMBLEM SWITCH.

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/GZl5WK.gif[/IMG]

Those were the same cutscenes used in Fates.
Personally, I was more of a fan of the Echoes animation

Strings

I'm curious if they'll ever consider adding elevation into the mix, even though it would necessitate moving away from the 2D maps and more into the Matsuno-srpg space. Thoughts?

Any nitty-gritty mechanic changes you guys would like to see? I'd also be up for way more classes/branches, etc. That said, I'm pretty happy with where FE is gameplay-wise anyway.

I'm curious if they'll ever consider adding elevation into the mix, even though it would necessitate moving away from the 2D maps and more into the Matsuno-srpg space. Thoughts?

Any nitty-gritty mechanic changes you guys would like to see? I'd also be up for way more classes/branches, etc. That said, I'm pretty happy with where FE is gameplay-wise anyway.

I don't know if that's what you meant, but there was a height bonus in Radiant Dawn.

The one standing on the bottom had 50 less accuracy, the one on top had 50 more accuracy and their damage was increased by 2.

ryseing

But I don't want a completely different Fire Emblem. I just want another game like Path of Radiance.

I too want another game like one of the ones that helped kill the franchise.

(I love PoR, but let's not pretend like it set the world on fire).

New classes would be nice. I would also like third tiers to be a more permanent thing.

Really would like to see the magic triangle return and give each type more of a defined role. Light magic users counter dark and heal, dark counters anima and has effective tomes on mounted units, anima counters light and has effective tomes on infantry, particularly armored units.

Strings

I don't know if that's what you meant, but there was a height bonus in Radiant Dawn.

The one standing on the bottom had 50 less accuracy, the one on top had 50 more accuracy and their damage was increased by 2.

Yeah, that, but with climbing and jumping instead of just stairs everywhere :p

Really would like to see the magic triangle return and give each type more of a defined role.

Definitely. Magic users have been super uninteresting for ages now. Would love to see red mage type units, or just specific magic units limited to melee range.

I too want another game like one of the ones that helped kill the franchise.

(I love PoR, but let's not pretend like it set the world on fire).

New classes would be nice. I would also like third tiers to be a more permanent thing.

Really would like to see the magic triangle return and give each type more of a defined role. Light magic users counter dark and heal, dark counters anima and has effective tomes on mounted units, anima counters light and has effective tomes on infantry, particularly armored units.

The magic and the anima triangle should come back.

watershed

Banned
I think the quote in the OP is just speaking to quality of presentation like fully 3d character models for all cut scenes, maybe more fully acted cut scenes instead of characters standing in front of a static background, more detailed, to scale battle maps, etc. But it's still gonna be FE.

It's kinda sad how they walked back on a lot of Radiant Dawn's mechanics, like the Magic and Anima Triangles, the transferable skills, the elevation bonus, the three tier promotions, the multiple viewpoint characters...

I'm not sure how many of those were introduced in RD, but I was kinda disappointed how many of those things weren't in Awakening.

I think the quote in the OP is just speaking to quality of presentation like fully 3d character models for all cut scenes, maybe more fully acted cut scenes instead of characters standing in front of a static background, more detailed, to scale battle maps, etc. But it's still gonna be FE.

Am I the only one who loves static 2D art for conversations? I never did care for the 3DS presentation used in Awakening and Fates. I know there's still 2D art, but the 3D models in the background distracts me. I rather have 2D portraits overlaid on 2D hand-drawn background. Add in the occasional CG art, and sprinkle a few FMVs through important moments and that would be perfect. Basically the GC/Wii games.

Strings

Am I the only one who loves static 2D art for conversations? I never did care for the 3DS presentation used in Awakening and Fates. I know there's still 2D art, but the 3D models in the background distracts me. I rather have 2D portraits overlaid on 2D hand-drawn background. Add in the occasional CG art, and sprinkle a few FMVs through important moments and that would be perfect. Basically the GC/Wii games.

Clearly we should go with the best of both worlds Caligula Effect thing, where you have the 2D sprites over the 3D models! For every goddamn scene.

chss04-3.jpg

I agree with you 100%

I do love the eugenics factor of children, but I don't think I'm willing to stomach more Awakening/Fates quality supports.

Hear, hear.

It's hard for me to get swept in the Fire Emblem narrative of war when my party is encumbered by children, obnoxious teens, and clowns. Like one big happy family being dragged from one corner of the embattled world to the other. I much prefer a cast theme similar to that of Tactics Ogre.

Philippo

As someone who knows nothing about FE: is Inteligent Systems big enough to have two teams?
Echoes just came out and they're already talking about the next FE, which is targeting 2018 iirc, while also supervising FE:Warriors.
Have they been developing Echoes and the Switch one together i guess?

Strings

As someone who knows nothing about FE: is Inteligent Systems big enough to have two teams?
Echoes just came out and they're already talking about the next FE, which is targeting 2018 iirc, while also supervising FE:Warriors.
Have they been developing Echoes and the Switch one together i guess?

They have 141 employees as of 2016, but as I understand it, IS uses a metric shiton of outside contractors on their projects. That and SRPGs don't exactly require massive teams, so they're running at least 3-4 separate ones internally (Paper Mario guys, main FE team, Code Name Steam (and Echoes?) team, small whatever team that does games like Pushmo).

Top Bottom