• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to allow for "completely different" Fire Emblem, breathe life into characters

hey intsys. you know how you made echoes and it wasn't creepy, character relations felt human (even if a little shallow at times), designs were sensible, and the art style was classy?

please just do that again

Rodin

hey intsys. you know how you made echoes and it wasn't creepy, character relations felt human (even if a little shallow at times), designs were sensible, and the art style was classy?

I'd rather them sticking to the much superior gameplay built between Awakening and (especially) Fates and the better, more suited to 3D models artstyle from those games, but to each their own.

PsionBolt

All y'all folks suggesting the next FE be anything other than an SRPG make me sad. Play something else! There aren't many good SRPG franchises around as it is, we can't afford to lose one!

Invoke is a cool spell, why hasn't that been in the series since?

It has, more or less. In Path of Radiance, Tanith has Reinforce, which calls in NPC Pegasus Knights; and in Sacred Stones, the Summoner class can summon player-controlled phantoms. And the Replicate ability in Fates, while quite different, is also comparable.

Xbro

omgx1alzwdcwbwyuasem.gif

MoonFrog

We'll see.

Still trying to see this as "we're giving you nerdy Fire Emblem again, with better world, story, war, characters, etc."

But it sounds sort of like what the Senran Kagura guy said too so...:p

Mathematics

Neo Member
I hope they work on the story scenarios. Playing SoV after Fates, the story scenes are just leagues better. Fates scenes were like 5 slides of "you're a traitor. Now you die"

Codeblue

Yes, please. Just a return to form would be great. Hopefully the 3DS originals turn out to be outliers and we can get something more like the GBA and Radiant games.

I haven't played 4 or 5, but I assume that the child function was done without all the creep?

Echoes is definitely a step in the right direction in those aspects.

Anteo

Too bad it didnt sell in japan.

MoonFrog

Yes, please. Just a return to form would be great. Hopefully the 3DS originals turn out to be outliers and we can get something more like the GBA and Radiant games.

I haven't played 4 or 5, but I assume that the child function was done without all the creep?

There's some creep. Panders a bit to incest with the story of Thracia, Celice/Julia (reminiscent of Eirika/Ephraim in ways) , the dark incest that is the core of the evil plot. Also got a little girl who hits on you.

But...it also is actually part of the narrative story. The kids actually form their own team. You actually have a tragedy which sets up the changing of the generations and gives the setting for 5. Etc.

Generations are so much better in 4. No time travel with monster units that are outside the support grid. No magic pregnancy/growing up castle. Actual time passes. People die. Etc.

I really hope they keep the artist from Echoes and we get full voice acting again. FE Switch could be the best FE game if they mix the gameplay from Conquest with the production values of Echoes. Intelligent Systems pls

I don't know what this means so it scares me. Hopefully less single-trope characters and waifu shite but it could easily mean the opposite.

I wouldn't mind a grief mechanic. If someone dies, the general party atmosphere should drop and affect performance on the battlefield.

I'd rather them sticking to the much superior gameplay built between Awakening and (especially) Fates and the better, more suited to 3D models artstyle from those games, but to each their own.

The Echoes style presentation and Fates style gameplay aren't somehow mutually exclusive in the future of FE. Like, why would IS need to choose one or the other when they could mix or match or do something completely different? Kinda irrelevant to that original post that was just asking for more Echoes elements and presentation, tbh.

Also, I disagree about the models, but I may just be wrong. Idk, Echoes' models looked about as accurate as Fates' models, but Echoes has better battle animations, imo.

Vigamox

I can't say I exactly trust people who worked on Fates to "breathe life into characters" when Fates was chock full of one dimensional characters defined by a singular trait.

I'd prefer they cut down on the cast and use that to really flesh each character out better. Getting rid of the avatar would also help with this I think, as most characters are heads over heels for the avatar right when they meet and that doesn't really help their development.

I can't say I exactly trust people who worked on Fates to "breathe life into characters" when Fates was chock full of one dimensional characters defined by a singular trait.

I'd prefer they cut down on the cast and use that to really flesh each character out better. Getting rid of the avatar would also help with this I think, as most characters are heads over heels for the avatar right when they meet and that doesn't really help their development.

I think there is a common misconception that one-dimensional, flat characters are objectively bad. While I think I understand what you are saying and completely agree with your great point on the avatar tending to drain everyone's character away from them, it's important to note that many of the best characters in literature and film are "one-dimensional" and defined by a singular trait. That one trait, unfortunately, usually happens to be an unswerving loyalty to the avatar in FE games. :/

They'll just be removed by NOA anyway
thankfully

Add it in with microtransactions for each character.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.

Biske

It'd be a mess - he'd be forced out halfway through and hospitalised due to stress, while additional writers are rushed in to retrofit the original narrative template into a series of contrivances that threatens to collapse at any moment. Given the demands a mainline Fire Emblem game needs to fill, it'd probably be for the best if they just continued on the path they were already on story-wise, primarily using it to set up a varied and marketable cast, and hopefully well-designed gameplay systems.

JtpzHWP.jpg

Nah, if Nintendo let him do his thing he'd be fine. Crimson Shroud has a better story than any Fire Emblem, come at me bro's.

I'd be fine if they put out a fire emblem of pure battle maps, no story what so ever. Don't make me sit through that nonsense.

patapuf

Fire emblems characters don't need more technology, they need better writing.

They are on the right path with the gameplay though, Fates was really good in that regards.

I think there is a common misconception that one-dimensional, flat characters are objectively bad. While I think I understand what you are saying and completely agree with your great point on the avatar tending to drain everyone's character away from them, it's important to note that many of the best characters in literature and film are "one-dimensional" and defined by a singular trait. That one trait, unfortunately, usually happens to be an unswerving loyalty to the avatar in FE games. :/

With a cast as big as FE your bound to find some one dimensional characters. That's fine. It's how they talk, how they relate to the plot ect. that matters. And that's been severely lacking.

RRockman

Banned

tumblr_lxskt49p0z1r2efvco1_500.gif

Sterok

One of the big things that's been making Fire Emblem succeeding lately is its ambition. Awakening was meant to send out the series in a blaze of glory with great artwork, cool mechanics such as an avatar and pair-up, beautiful CG scenes, tons of content in-game and as DLC, and plenty of polish that made it accessible. We know how that ended up. Fates raised the stakes with 3 routes meant to cater to a wide spectrum of players, a ton more polish and raised production values, and generally not resting on their laurels with features such as live 2D and base building.

Now we've come to Shadows of Valentia, and while it's obviously a cheaper game there's still plenty of ambition to be found. Full voice acting, much better animations, cool dungeon crawling (that doesn't get interesting until endgame, but still), and more polish that makes it feel like lots of love went into it.

IS isn't going to stop there and just make Fates HD, and that's a great thing. They want to make this an even bigger franchise. They haven't messed up yet, so I think they can manage it.

Taruranto

Too bad it didnt sell in japan.

Why didn't it sell tho'. Honest question. What did JP players complain about?
I mean, I don't think the lack of "waifus" had anything to do with it necessarily, it could have been because it was a 3DS game in 2017, lack of marketing, or the fact that it was a remake.

I dunno, I feel like people are pushing the "Echoes didn't sell because waifus!" narrative without all the facts.

Honestly wouldn't mind a game around the Awakening Children's life.

They constantly reference their horrible world, would be interesting. You could start the game during the assassination attempt

Top Bottom