• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to allow for "completely different" Fire Emblem, breathe life into characters

Hasn't the series had more handheld entries than console at this point?
(I count 7 Console vs 8 Handheld) Though I don't really care, Switch blurs the line now anyways.

Although for us in the west, it's certainly had more entries on handhelds, (2 GBA, 1 DS & 3 3DS games vs the 2 console games localized).
I think of it as a handheld game and prefer it that way, the handheld games always felt faster to play (I don't know if they were faster but the GC Wii games did feel clunky to play)

I'm hoping they just continue the style of the 3DS games on Switch - I love how they're made. Don't need crazy detailed animations on the map, keep it simple and fast. Leave that stuff for the battle scenes (I can turn it off when I want to speed things up)
GC, Wii games were the pinnacle of the series imho in terms of gameplay. some of the best map designs, incredible story

Hasn't the series had more handheld entries than console at this point?
(I count 7 Console vs 8 Handheld) Though I don't really care, Switch blurs the line now anyways.

Although for us in the west, it's certainly had more entries on handhelds, (2 GBA, 1 DS & 3 3DS games vs the 2 console games localized).
I think of it as a handheld game and prefer it that way, the handheld games always felt faster to play (I don't know if they were faster but the GC Wii games did feel clunky to play)

I'm hoping they just continue the style of the 3DS games on Switch - I love how they're made. Don't need crazy detailed animations on the map, keep it simple and fast. Leave that stuff for the battle scenes (I can turn it off when I want to speed things up)

It was indeed way faster, you can even skip a whole enemy turn

Asd202

Very good after Fates I feel FE needs some shakeup especially in map design and writing. Also please no reinforcements for the love of god.

Blues1990

Can't wait to see what kind of creepy things they will come up with.

Yeah, this is the kind of thing I hope they will avoid doing, as that had made me avoid Fates (and it's expansion) to this day. Echoes is everything that I want from a Fire Emblem title, and I hope they expand the mechanics from that game into a future installment.

JMY86

This sounds great or it could end up being very creepy indeed. I adore this series but I think a shakeup could be just whats needed to keep the series from getting stale.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
As long as they don't pull another Soleil I'll be fine.

Should've been the FxF option instead of Rhajat.

L95

So jiggle physics

I hope they really try to do something different with the battles.

Aversa in Awakening had jiggle physics already :p

As for these dev comments... This strikes me as a really vague and I'm not creative so I dunno what to think about it...

I am excited for HD FE regardless. It'll look pretty, at least.

ffdgh

I can only laugh at the potential implications that statement could mean lol.

Very good after Fates I feel FE needs some shakeup especially in map design and writing. Also please no reinforcements for the love of god.

Think on the bright side. At least they didn't move on the same turn they appeared.

Jawmuncher

Finally. Playing Echoes currently the the 3DS style is showing its age. Hell it was showing its age last year as well. Still good games, but I'm ready for more.

Oregano

I wonder if they'll go back to the plan to make it more like a traditional JRPG that they had for the Wii(?) game.

I really want all story dialogue to be voiced and action animated. Character portraits (models) that reflect class changes would be nice, too. And more than 1-2 standard body types for male/female characters.

Also, no more avatars.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Please bring back the narrator and get an actually good writer(s) to come up with the scenario. Awakening was pretty bad but Fates was astonishingly stupid. FE deserves better stories.

Some Nobody

I actually AM curious as to just how much of an upgrade the smaller RPGs will try to go for now that they're on the Switch. The system is much more powerful than the 3DS was, and it's not like IntSys didn't make any money with their last couple games. On the contrary, Fates made BANK. Nintendo should be down with giving them a decent budget, so what do they do with it?

Thanks for that. I laughed so hard through both episodes(228-229).

Still...please don't turn FE into...that lol

now you need to watch the whole serie (just resist for the 15-20 first episodes, they're not that great, but after that, you'll always laugh, the more you go, the more it's crazy! )

Tamanator

Can't wait for Fire Emblem Switch. I have high expectations that it'll be a series defining entry, kind of like how Awakening established it as a core Nintendo franchise.

Uh...

Genei_Ibun_Roku_cover_art.jpg

As someone who loves persona and fire emblem? No

The world was so bland, and the characters were all lame and lifeless.

Story/writing was something out of a f2p gacha mobile game.

Ezalc

Let's hope they go back to FE4 huge maps and an actually good story, they can leave out the whole children and relationship aspect of it though. Fuck that garbage.

Just bring back the halberdier class as playable characters you assholes. And pirates.

I was going to make a joke about HD Rumble and petting, but people have already done it.

Real idea for rumble though, it'll likely be along the lines of feeling the feedback of attacks and animations. Getting hit by that bullshit 1% crit will be all the more bullshittier.

Anura

If they really have to have an avatar character I wouldn't mind one if they took a backseat and played a bit part. And if they REALLY have to have the avatar character be an important figure to story than at least let them make important decisions. Like have them have dialogue choices and stuff in supports and give them choices in plot scenes that could make massive changes to the path you're on or story.

I'm assuming this means moving to fully 3D models for cutscenes and dialogue between characters, along with full voiceover work for the entire game, and perhaps some expanded social mechanics with your army. Basically, this comment seems related to improving the presentation of the series. Don't expect them to remove the Strategy RPG gameplay in favor of a more traditional JRPG. I don't even know why some of you are suggesting that; we get plenty of traditional JRPGs on console, compared to relatively few SRPGs, especially with good production values. Besides, strategy gameplay is the identity of the series.

Hatty

I just want good maps and a good challenge. Story and characters have never been the draw for me

I want good characters and a good story. I'm way more interested in seeing them improve that.
Agreed, there is more room for them to improve in that area. They've done it before, so I have faith they are capable of producing a good narrative with good characters, hopefully they took the criticisms of Fates' story to heart

Golnei

Just hire Yasumi Matsuno to write the story.

Done. You're welcome.

It'd be a mess - he'd be forced out halfway through and hospitalised due to stress, while additional writers are rushed in to retrofit the original narrative template into a series of contrivances that threatens to collapse at any moment. Given the demands a mainline Fire Emblem game needs to fill, it'd probably be for the best if they just continued on the path they were already on story-wise, primarily using it to set up a varied and marketable cast, and hopefully well-designed gameplay systems.

Sounds like a mini game they could've easily implemented on 3DS using the 3DS microphone.

JtpzHWP.jpg

Nose Master

Fire emblem musou comin right up

They need to change up the main plot structure. The overarching plot is always so by the numbers. I'd rather them just not even attempt a plot and focus on decent maps and system if it's gonna be like fates again.

Shinypogs

Why not have both?
Both would be best but if I had to choose I'll take better maps over better story any day. Then again I enjoy conquest lunatic and Hector hard mode and randomized runs with increased enemy growths. Good maps with good encounter design are near endlessly replayable for me and that matters a lot. Of course I want a good story and relatable characters but I'll live with those just being passable if the gameplay is good enough.

Top Bottom