• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to allow for "completely different" Fire Emblem, breathe life into characters

I'm hoping that like Echoes all dialogue will be voiced.

It adds a lot when everyone in your army has as a voice during dialogue segments.

Same. The partial voicing in Awakening/Fates works pretty well for what it is but having full voicing would definitely make for a stronger connection with your army members.

Definitely interested to see what they'll do and how they'll adapt to the Switch.

Golnei

I wonder if Fire Emblem Warriors will have support level and stuff, can't wait for E3.

Empires games have traditionally included a marriage system, and given how strongly supports and such are associated with Fire Emblem, it'd be a disappointing move to leave them out - Hyrule Warriors attempted to take some influence from the main Zelda series on top of its standard musou core; and doing the same for FE would entail bringing over character interaction systems (reinterpreting some of Fates' additions for it might be a good idea as well, if they want to use any Team Ninja influence to its fullest potential.)

But the cast might make that difficult - something consisting mostly of established characters would likely remove the possibility of S-supports, and going with individual characters with their own movesets as opposed to many characters sharing a class moveset could result in a cast considered too small to justify the mechanic.

I think that supports in the vein of Echoes (one or two per character, usually quite short) would be the most likely compromise, just not voiced.

Fireblend

Banned
They're talking what they learned with Codename STEAM and making a big budget Fire Emblem with Valkyria Chronicles mechanics.

Please?

Uh...

Genei_Ibun_Roku_cover_art.jpg

Needs to be ported to Switch first :)

The voice acting in Echoes did a lot to help the game, so combining that with character specific stories/relationships/potentials would be a good way of adding more depth to the characters and armies.

Golnei

I'm guessing there's going to be a lot more animation during dialog like the MGS codec.

I'm not sure if that'll happen, unless they're doing something like extensive full-body Live2D animation. Earlier games did use face/eye animation, but it was later abandoned - arguably for the better, presentation-wise. I think they might keep the same general format for basic conversation and supports, but fill out story scenes with more in-engine 3D animation and CG, similar to Echoes.

Red Cavalier and Green Cavalier like you've never seen them before!

They made them ninjas in Fates, so it does seem like there's a chance we'll be getting a different class combination for the archetype in Switch.

NeonZ

I'd guess they might be going for a full 3d presentation, rather than using 2d art for dialogue scenes. It was pretty obvious with Fates that at least for the main story they'd have loved to do that, with the 3d models being present for almost every scene and often with complex animations. They just didn't work well with close ups due to the lack of detail and animation of their faces (which often seemed to be just textures) and so the portraits were still there floating over the scenes.

Empires games have traditionally included a marriage system, and given how strongly supports and such are associated with Fire Emblem, it'd be a disappointing move to leave them out - Hyrule Warriors attempted to take some influence from the main Zelda series on top of its standard musou core; and doing the same for FE would entail bringing over character interaction systems (reinterpreting some of Fates' additions for it might be a good idea as well, if they want to use any Team Ninja influence to its fullest potential.)

But the cast might make that difficult - something consisting mostly of established characters would likely remove the possibility of S-supports, and going with individual characters with their own movesets as opposed to many characters sharing a class moveset could result in a cast considered too small to justify the mechanic.

I think that supports in the vein of Echoes (one or two per character, usually quite short) would be the most likely compromise, just not voiced.

It depends on how much freedom IS gives them regarding characterization. The Empires game obviously allow the player to marry characters who didn't get together in the novels or history, but the conversations are all just exchanges of default quotes, rather than anything actually written with the specific pairs in mind.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles had a system closer to supports though. It introduced a bond system which after raising the bond up to a certain level and reaching certain requirements triggered personal events between the player avatar and some character and some exclusive epilogues. SW4 added that system to the main series, and it gave romantic implications to most final events (although with no actual story epilogues).

Epcott

How about real time battlefields and epic encounters? Traveling the countryside in 3rd person view, and fights that resemble Peter Jackson's LOTR films or The Last Samurai? But something tells me that's to drastic a change for them.

Golnei

I'd guess they might be going for a full 3d presentation, rather than using 2d art for dialogue scenes. It was pretty obvious with Fates that at least for the main story they'd have loved to do that, with the 3d models being present for almost every scene and often with complex animations. They just didn't work well with close ups due to the lack of detail and animation of their faces (which often seemed to be just textures) and so the portraits were still there floating over the scenes.

I'm not sure they'd abandon the static portraits that easily - 2D art can convey much more personality in this style than game-quality 3D models without a significant resource investment. Persona 5 would be a good model for how to integrate them - highlighting 3D models within the scene to a greater degree than Fates, but still utilising the 2D portraits to a prominent extent.

Samurai Warriors Chronicles had a system closer to supports though. It introduced a bond system which after raising the bond up to a certain level and reaching certain requirements triggered personal events between the player avatar and some character and some exclusive epilogues. SW4 added that system to the main series, and it gave romantic implications to most final events (although with no actual story epilogues).

That does seem like something that could be more easily adapted to a FE crossover format. Especially with the presence of a player avatar - Heroes did something similar to a limited extent with the level cap scenes for characters, so integrating supports purely between the character and player avatar does seem like something they'd be willing to do for the crossover format - it'd also be very easily applied to cast expansions via DLC, while supports between characters could complicate things.

-MB-

Give me a regualr turn based JRPG Fire Emblem game. Might get me to like the series for the very first time, since I don't like strategy RPGS at all.

Golnei

Give me a regualr turn based JRPG Fire Emblem game. Might get me to like the series for the very first time, since I don't like strategy RPGS at all.

Have you tried Echoes? It's essentially a traditional JRPG in structure, just with a Fire Emblem battle system.

Please take a decent amount of influence from Echoes, and not just Awakening and Fates.

Like, at least make it so that all the characters actually speak during the main story and aren't just there for their introduction. It'd have been nice if, say, we actually got more dialogue from like Sully or Virion, and not just Chrom and co. every scene.

Also, please just use Hidari again.

-MB-

Have you tried Echoes? It's essentially a traditional JRPG in structure, just with a Fire Emblem battle system.

And exactly why I don't like it. I just are no fan of strategy game battling. Of course all of that will be pointless if they resort to overt fanservice as well, because that is about as big a turn off for me as well.

Marcel

Oh no...don't like the sound of that, cause it looks like more ways to put in more otaku bait fanservice bs.

That's what the new non-remake FE games are now. If they inject more fanservice it won't be shocking at all. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but they will milk the waifu crowd until their short attention spans move on to the next thing.

xviper

i'll never get tired of more Fire emblem

so the Switch is getting Mario odyssey, Fire emblem and Monster Hunter, i may get a Switch in 2018, but i hope for a new MH that is completely made for the Switch rather than a port from a handheld game

Kenai

I am hoping this means a somewhat in-depth character creator for your avatar, those seem to be popular anyway but would be real neat if it could come within spitting distance of stuff like Dragon's Dogma/Souls/Skyrim.

And of course it should make for some genuinely fun maps. I know Conquest had quite a few of those but there's no reason not to set the standard even higher. .

And exactly why I don't like it. I just are no fan of strategy game battling. Of course all of that will be pointless if they resort to overt fanservice as well, because that is about as big a turn off for me as well.

Not to be mean but you should probably expect strategy RPG combat in a strategy RPG series rather than hoping the series turns into something it isn't.

At least Fire Emblem is popular enough for spin off games now so there's that Musou game coming up.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I'm just excited for a TV & controller FE after so many years.

The unified platform is huge for me, I have ergo issues with handhelds

So in

Hylian7

If it's more like Echoes than Fates, then count me on board.
Hell if they just keep the art style from Echoes for the rest of the series, I would be happy. It's honestly the best art style the series has seen.

There are also some things from Echoes I would like to see come back. Invoke is a cool spell, why hasn't that been in the series since?

-MB-

I am hoping this means a somewhat in-depth character creator for your avatar, those seem to be popular anyway but would be real neat if it could come within spitting distance of stuff like Dragon's Dogma/Souls/Skyrim.

And of course it should make for some genuinely fun maps. I know Conquest had quite a few of those but there's no reason not to set the standard even higher. .

Not to be mean but you should probably expect strategy RPG combat in a strategy RPG series rather than hoping the series turns into something it isn't.

At least Fire Emblem is popular enough for spin off games now so there's that Musou game coming up.

I never stated they should stop making strategy FEs at all. For all I care they make this into a spinoff that is not. And they can continue on making S/TRPG FEs for eternity.

If FF can spawn a FF Tactics series, the reverse can be done with FE without it undermining the main series focus.

Unicorn

Man, fuck y'all for supporting this waifu fan service. Robbing us all of a proper advance wars.

Hopefully wargroove can actually be solid, then I can stand letting y'all have your fap emblem.

/SaltyRant

I never stated they should stop making strategy FEs at all. For all I care they make this into a spinoff that is not. And they can continue on making S/TRPG FEs for eternity.

If FF can spawn a FF Tactics series, the reverse can be done with FE without it undermining the main series focus.
Except this isn't a spinoff, this is a mainline entry. They are doing other genres with the spinoffs, like FE Warriors and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Top Bottom