• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch won't have Streetpass or Miiverse

kunonabi

Miiverse really came in handy when I needed info that slipped by strategy guides and wikis not to mention organizing online stuff with other players. I figured it was dead as soon as the touchscreen got covered up by the dock though.

I was hoping Streetpass would stick around but I had a feeling it would hit the chopping block too.

boiled goose

good with gravy
What a mess.

I blame this partly on not developing a proper integrated online infrastructure meaning they had to basically start from scratch every single time.

Mael

No streetpass is understandable if they're going console 1rst, they can put the replacement on the 3DS replacement or whatever.
Seriously in Paris I got more than I could get a huge amount of them every day, it was awesome.
No Miiverse is stupid when the 1rst game they release is Zelda and that game certainly could use some great integration of it.
I guess Zelda on WiiU will be the superior product...

Aleh

What a dumb decision... I liked both features very much and it's weird they aren't even trying to build upon them

I'm canceling my pre-order on this. This is my last straw for ever considering day 1.

I'll reconsider for when arms is out.

People do know you could do more than post screenshots, right?

You could ask the obscurest of questions, and because it was tied to the system it had the potential to be seen by everyone who has played the game. People on twitter aren't going to see what you post.
um forums, Reddit, Facebook pages... you guys are making simple things seem surprisingly difficult, there is a reason miiverse wasn't working was because there was so many alternatives

Azuran

Banned
When were you able to get a legitimate answer from posting into the nether on twitter?

I didn't use Miiverse to get answers from people where there's places like GAF or GameFAQs around.

The only reason I even went to Miiverse in the first place was to download the images I uploaded so I could share my experience with my peeps on Twitter. Plus my Twitter followers, a large group of them from here, are knowledgeable as hell anyways so they're all I need.

Bummed about Miiverse :(

Like others have said, it really made the Wii U feel like a community - which was especially felt after Iwata's passing.

oti

Banned
Never used Miiverse much, sharing to Twitter is 100% more important to me, StreetPass was great but is dead in Hamburg (for me at least).

I don't mind this. But I hope the Switch App will have some nice surprises.

Mael

I didn't use Miiverse to get answers from people where there's places like GAF or GameFAQs around.

The only reason I even went to Miiverse in the first place was to download the images I uploaded so I could share my experience with my peeps on Twitter. Plus my Twitter followers, a large group of them from here, are knowledgeable as hell anyways so they're all I need.

You're joking if you think I'm going back to that hellhole of GFaqs ever again.
And Gaf is worse to get specific answers on a popular game.
I don't think everyone has your army of followers either to sift through the shit on twitter to get the answers needed.
It was a good place to push questions that the community could answer quickly and personnally. Far from perfect but better than nothing.
It's such a good idea that Sony basically ripped it off with its integrated communities.

lenovox1

I kind of expected that considering the insider rumors I kept hearing and the lack of them in spec docs. I wonder what's replacing them.

Tie ins to existing social media networks. That allows for a greater reach and faaaaar less cost.

What a mess.

I blame this partly on not developing a proper integrated online infrastructure meaning they had to basically start from scratch every single time.

Miiverse was developed with an HTML framework and ports easily to anything that can handle modern HTML code, hense the Web version and the 3DS version.

They just don't want to integrate it's features into Switch.

Azuran

Banned
You're joking if you think I'm going back to that hellhole of GFaqs ever again.
And Gaf is worse to get specific answers on a popular game.
I don't think everyone has your army of followers either to sift through the shit on twitter to get the answers needed.
It was a good place to push questions that the community could answer quickly and personnally. Far from perfect but better than nothing.
It's such a good idea that Sony basically ripped it off with its integrated communities.

I don't even have 500 followers. And Miiverse was just as bad with popular games considering no everyone there is an expert at games especially on release date.

And yes, Gamefaqs is legitimately good if you only go there to ask a question you may have. I wouldn't have gone anywhere in Xenoblade X or Fire Emblem without them.

Persona7

Banned
Miiverse is cool but I guess it will still exist for a while before it's shut down. Damn. I don't plan on buying a switch anytime soon so I guess I am not affected but I would have liked to see miiverse on there anyway.

Thank god.

Why is this a good thing for you? Not trying to pick a fight out anything, just genuinely curious.

I mean I didn't really use Miiverse very much, but I enjoyed seeing the scribbles on the home screen and in certain games like Splatoon and 3D World.

I've had fun with Street Pass, I'll miss it, but then it was really starting to die out anyway.

Mael

I don't even have 500 followers. And Miiverse was just as bad with popular games considering no everyone there is an expert at games especially on release date.

Not everyone is an expert but your question is not lost in a sea of posts that you have to sift through to get your answer.
It's not made for that.

And yes, Gamefaqs is legitimately good if you only go there to ask a question you may have. I wouldn't have gone anywhere in Xenoblade X or Fire Emblem without them.

GFaqs is pointless these days, if you can access the Gfaqs you can access the game related wiki that has the answers without bothering anyone.
That's how I progressed when I was stucked in XenoX.

I don't use the community feature on my ps4 but that's no reason to claim it has no value at all.

Streetpass was pretty neat, but I won't miss it. Ever since Pokémon GO released, I pretty much stopped using it.

I think Nintendo will come up with another social feature that might actually be better.

Let's see how many posts people made on Miiverse in this thread. Can't believe people are missing it this badly

Main account stats: 1856 posts, 100 Wii U friends, following 930 people, and 619 followers (also 40721 Yeahs given out)
2nd account stats: 172 posts, 45 Wii U friends, following 121 people, and 147 followers (also 4878 Yeahs given out)

hatchx

Banned
Miiverse will be missed within the Splatoon hub. Hopefully the game has some sort of built in drawing/posting mechanic.

TunaLover

It seems Switch will be pretty bare bones regard extra features, no camera, no voice chat, no web browser, no Miiverse, no whatever.

Regiruler

um forums, Reddit, Facebook pages... you guys are making simple things seem surprisingly difficult, there is a reason miiverse wasn't working was because there was so many alternatives
Forums are dead for niche games and virtual consoles.

Miiverse WAS working. Where was it implied that it wasn't?
The entire reason I'm angry is because it worked.

AgeEighty

The lack of StreetPass is a serious bummer, as it was by far my favorite aspect of 3DS, especially the StreetPass games on Mii Plaza. One of the things I enjoyed most about going to PAX East was the hundreds of StreetPasses I'd accrue, letting me charge ahead in all the games, and I was really thinking Nintendo would preserve a feature like that on Switch just in time for the show. Really too bad.

TunaLover

I really hope that's not true. Streetpass I get for battery and tech reasons, but Miiverse? :(
Come to think it could be a reason why they are skipping those background apps, maybe the video record feature consume most of the ram available in the OS, could be the reason to not have internet browser and Miiverse running at the same time as the game.

Griss

Streetpass was a good idea but poor in execution in most games, and Streetpass Plaza or whatever the minigame collection was is a contender for my most disliked Nintendo game of all time.

Miiverse will be missed though. I never posted, but there was always good stuff on there.

Cuburt

2 features that seemed to be pretty great ideas Nintendo would keep going forward, even though Street Pass was a feature that didn't work a great/the same for every geographic region and therefore was a little difficult to implement usage that everyone can benefit from.

Miiverse was great as a gaming centric social network and a better place to share screenshots, drawings, achievements, and talk about games than any other social media imo. I'd imagine the whole issue of moderation is too much of a headache, like any other social media, where there are people constantly attempting to subvert any form of control. Not to mention that social networks are popular but don't do a good job at becoming profitable and I could see how it started to look like more trouble than it was worth to Nintendo. It's too bad since I was really hoping with a mobile app for Miiverse, some more integration with MyNintendo/NNID/etc., and a sleeker interface by the time Switch would come out that the service would really be able to capitalize on it's potential, especially as somewhere I could make new gamer friends, easily add people to play online with, look up new games/impressions/video/screenshots to find stuff I might be interested in. I suppose now it's mostly going to be about the same as Twitch/Facebook/YouTube/etc. integration Sony and MS have, but it's a bummer thinking of what we could have had.

Top Bottom