• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment |OT| Now in English | #YOLO - You Only Live Online

Cornbread78

Still working my way through this game and closing in on 100 hours. Still my biggest complaint with this game is the map system for Hollow area. They give us missions, but no specific maps to get there. Just a simple arrow like in Ni No Kuni to at least point us in the right direction would have made this so much easier to find these things.. I found three point of interest that now appear on my events list, but no way to re-find them, not that I kicked her out of my party, so I could find them alone..

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Still working my way through this game and closing in on 100 hours. Still my biggest complaint with this game is the map system for Hollow area. They give us missions, but no specific maps to get there. Just a simple arrow like in Ni No Kuni to at least point us in the right direction would have made this so much easier to find these things.. I found three point of interest that now appear on my events list, but no way to re-find them, not that I kicked her out of my party, so I could find them alone..

Yeah that by far is the worst thing about the game is they did not really think the map system through at all. While it got "slightly" better with an update its still far from what Id consider serviceable.

Hikami

I found three point of interest that now appear on my events list, but no way to re-find them

Yeah, had to go look up guides for that when I was playing on Vita.

They kind of fixed this in the PS4 version, actually has the location name next to the event.. Still have to go through the whole hollow area map and find where that place actually is though, and figure out how to get there yourself.

Parakeetman

Yeah, had to go look up guides for that when I was playing on Vita.

They kind of fixed this in the PS4 version, actually has the location name next to the event.. Still have to go through the whole hollow area map and find where that place actually is though, and figure out how to get there yourself.

Was hilarious in Japan people had to do up these weird ass MS paint maps to make sense of things with the original version. Good times that was... Thankfully I have a pretty good memory, but that does not help when coming back to the game after a long time of being away lol

deanote666

First time I saw that trailer. :p

There's also a SAO PS4 with the director's cut of HF and LS too I think (site in Japanese).

I want to play RE: but I spent 250+ hours on the original Vita version... And I don't have a PS4 yet.

I only played a bit of LS since it is in Japanese. Didn't seem too bad. Just wish there were more character models. Were anymore patched in?

Parakeetman

First time I saw that trailer. :p

There's also a SAO PS4 with the director's cut of HF and LS too I think (site in Japanese).

I want to play RE: but I spent 250+ hours on the original Vita version... And I don't have a PS4 yet.

I only played a bit of LS since it is in Japanese. Didn't seem too bad. Just wish there were more character models. Were anymore patched in?

i think they added another character and content but have not checked it out. was not happy at all with the combat and leveling method in LS so had stopped playing.

dont recall any info about extra generic character models for the non main characters though.

Hikami

Wait, who is doing to OT for Last Song (NA)?

There was nothing in the create thread..

I figured Parakeetman would just ask to get his JP OT moved back to gaming and get a title change for the English release, like he did with this thread for Hollow Fragment. If not, I wouldn't mind making it.

Edit: Oh, the JP OT didn't even get moved to community.

Cornbread78

I figured Parakeetman would just ask to get his JP OT moved back to gaming and get a title change for the English release, like he did with this thread for Hollow Fragment. If not, I wouldn't mind making it.

Not sure, I didn't even notice with this thread since I bought the game so late.

I always figured with new release dates in NA/EU (usually for jrpgs) that are far from the Jpn release, that they got a new thread. There's nothing like that new thread feel, even if some of the info is recycled in the OP.

What do you think Parakeetman?

I don't think Lost Song was that well received, if impressions by those who imported the game are anything to go by. I was going to get it, but tbh I'm gonna be saving my money. I have way too much stuff going on right now anyway so I wouldn't be able to play it much.

Cornbread78

I don't think Lost Song was that well received, if impressions by those who imported the game are anything to go by. I was going to get it, but tbh I'm gonna be saving my money. I have way too much stuff going on right now anyway so I wouldn't be able to play it much.

I'm cash strapped, or else I'd get it on Vita right away. I'll get it once it goes on sale though as you can never get enough SAO.

Yes, it's HF's fault I became addicted to anime in the first place with after watching SAO, lol.

I'm cash strapped, or else I'd get it on Vita right away. I'll get it once it goes on sale though as you can never get enough SAO.

Yes, it's HF's fault I became addicted to anime in the first place with after watching SAO, lol.

Be sure to keep this a secret from the folks over on the OT bahahaha!

I loved HF. I can't wait for its sequel.

Parakeetman

Hikami said he'd do one if you weren't already. Just share data, redress and boom!

Thats good, since would give the thread a fresh start.

Yeah you might as well go and make the Western on in that case. Since would be better to have a fresh page since hopefully there should be more fans who will be wandering over from the those who picked up the US version of Hollow Fragment even if it is a game done by different devs.

Hikami

I'll go ahead and make it then. Was just looking at the release dates.. huh, EU gets it the 13th? Wish NA would've gotten it on that day as well and not the 17th since now I have to choose between it and Battlefront.

I'll go ahead and make it then. Was just looking at the release dates.. huh, EU gets it the 13th? Wish NA would've gotten it on that day as well and not the 17th since now I have to choose between it and Battlefront.

On that same day there's is also Stella Glow, which Parakeet has spoken very well of. I got the sweet 30% discount on it so I'm going with that. So Battlefront, SAO LS, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Stella Glow on the same day. Also next week is Fallout 4. These next 2 weeks are cray.

Cornbread78

Thats good, since would give the thread a fresh start.

Yeah you might as well go and make the Western on in that case. Since would be better to have a fresh page since hopefully there should be more fans who will be wandering over from the those who picked up the US version of Hollow Fragment even if it is a game done by different devs.

Sounds Good. Hikami's got it.

Nice Kuon avi, btw. Utawarerumono has been an awesome anime so far this season!

Parakeetman

Sounds Good. Hikami's got it.

Nice Kuon avi, btw. Utawarerumono has been an awesome anime so far this season!

The avatar is Aruru grown up, she appears in false mask. One downside with the anime is its super compressed, so lots of stuff is missed out on unfortunately with the characters. But yeah so far it is still good regardless. Will be interesting if they do release the game in the West, but most def if they did people who have not played the first game would be missing out on a pretty good amount of stuff in the later half of the game

Yeah it wouldnt have been much work to replace stuff but figured why bother as not going to be playing the game lol. Only hard part really is there was not much resources for the title itself, which is why had to improvise on a bunch of stuff.

On that same day there's is also Stella Glow, which Parakeet has spoken very well of. I got the sweet 30% discount on it so I'm going with that. So Battlefront, SAO LS, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Stella Glow on the same day. Also next week is Fallout 4. These next 2 weeks are cray.

Yeah Stella Glow should keep you more than busy enough. Granted while you may not want to play through the game multiple times the various endings from the bonds formed with a specific character help for those who do play through titles multiple times. Was surprised with how good the game actually was and content wise more than worth the $$$.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked this up for $10 during the sale (despite not knowing a whole lot about SAO). Played a few hours, beat the first boss (making sure to get the Last Attack bonus), but man there's just so much content it's really overwhelming. And the translation isn't helping matters. :lol I'm still really unclear on things like weapon upgrading, skills (there's so many), equipment (do I ever get anything better for Kirito? Also it's a huge pain that you can't just change AI partners' equipment directly or see how stuff in the shop affects their stats), events (can I miss any? Also how do I tell when they're done? I see the blue/pink exclamation marks next to them in the event screen but I don't know what they mean) and the whole unlocking new costumes thing.

In spite of all that I'm really enjoying it, though. More than I thought I would, actually.

Cornbread78

Picked this up for $10 during the sale (despite not knowing a whole lot about SAO). Played a few hours, beat the first boss (making sure to get the Last Attack bonus), but man there's just so much content it's really overwhelming. And the translation isn't helping matters. :lol I'm still really unclear on things like weapon upgrading, skills (there's so many), equipment (do I ever get anything better for Kirito? Also it's a huge pain that you can't just change AI partners' equipment directly or see how stuff in the shop affects their stats), events (can I miss any? Also how do I tell when they're done? I see the blue/pink exclamation marks next to them in the event screen but I don't know what they mean) and the whole unlocking new costumes thing.

In spite of all that I'm really enjoying it, though. More than I thought I would, actually.

I watched the anime, just to understand the characters backstory; damn gateway drug this anime was, lol...

In regards to the equipment, it is a pain to switch between the girls, but it's worth it to upgrade the weapons/armor before handing it off. You can stick to one or two of the girls the entire time, other than Strea.so don't worry about going crazy.. You get teh best weapons from battling bosses and stronger monsters in the Hollow world.

Parakeetman

yeah basically better equipment comes from hunting for treasure chests in the hollow area. the aincrad part of the game has highly inferior equipment in comparison, not surprising since its based off of the original psp game. The hollow are has all of the new content. Also chests if things didnt change reset when you fully leave and return to an area.

Parakeetman

Also is it ever worth switching Kirito from dual blades to something else?

You need to look through the various skill trees as there are other useful skills attached to the various trees. So its up to you and your playstyle with what you want to focus on and unlock for use.

Cornbread78

I did. Still only played a bit.
I read the OT but any additional tips would be appreciated.

Explore the world, just watch enemy levels carefully. The world map isn't great, but just exploring (especially in the Hollow World) is the best way to level up and find really god weapons to equip. I used Asuna and Liz most of the time, but Strea was pretty good as well.

naeS

So how many of you picked it up this week for $5 on the PSN sale?

I did. I bought it on Vita when it came out but couldn't really get into it on the small screen. Playing on PS4 was much better for me. Will probably pick up Lost Song before the sale ends.

Explore the world, just watch enemy levels carefully. The world map isn't great, but just exploring (especially in the Hollow World) is the best way to level up and find really god weapons to equip. I used Asuna and Liz most of the time, but Strea was pretty good as well.

Thanks.
The floaty running animation kinda bothers me lol. Is it just me or did the speed change when I entered the dungeon? I played up until beating that first challenge and the characters were running normally before entering the cave.

I enjoyed the anime so I hope the story in this is good. Filia is new right? It's been a while but I don't remember her.

Cornbread78

Thanks.
The floaty running animation kinda bothers me lol. Is it just me or did the speed change when I entered the dungeon? I played up until beating that first challenge and the characters were running normally before entering the cave.

I enjoyed the anime so I hope the story in this is good. Filia is new right? It's been a while but I don't remember her.

Yeah, Philia and Strea are both unique characters to the game. The meat of HF's story is a complete spin-off from the anime the only thing that is consistent are the characters backstories and dispositions.

Parakeetman

I did. Still only played a bit.
I read the OT but any additional tips would be appreciated.

Other tips would be to not go blowing all of your skill points once you earn some. Try looking through the various skill trees and see what you want. Since skills are scattered all throughout the various weapon types.

Cornbread78

Other tips would be to not go blowing all of your skill points once you earn some. Try looking through the various skill trees and see what you want. Since skills are scattered all throughout the various weapon types.

I just went all-in on the twin blades, but the group heal skill and skill point boost came in handy.

Parakeetman

I just went all-in on the twin blades, but the group heal skill and skill point boost came in handy.

there are a lot of useful skills in the other trees not sure how much they changed now after the updates to the ps4 version but the 100 accuracy from the rapier tree was a must then others like crit up and whatnots to help buff your character before a fight with a way higher lv enemy. in my old vid against the ant queen you can see that and those skills used are a combination of active skills gathered from other trees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKHQ9BRrmV0

allows for more flexibility

im curious if the trick of exp up on self then exp to partner still works as the boosted exp on yourself apparently was transferred to the partner with the skill that funnels all exp earned to your partner

Cornbread78

there are a lot of useful skills in the other trees not sure how much they changed now after the updates to the ps4 version but the 100 accuracy from the rapier tree was a must then others like crit up and whatnots to help buff your character before a fight with a way higher lv enemy. in my old vid against the ant queen you can see that and those skills used are a combination of active skills gathered from other trees.

allows for more flexibility

im curious if the trick of exp up on self then exp to partner still works as the boosted exp on yourself apparently was transferred to the partner with the skill that funnels all exp earned to your partner

I almost want to buy the PS4 version to see if it works, but I already dumped way over 100 hours into Vita, lol.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Picked up the PS4 version after not doing too much in the Vita version (I basically never got further than the start of the 77th floor). I'm still basically having the same problems I posted about a couple months ago (overwhelming amount of content with little explanation). :lol Plus now I'm kinda noticing with the PS4 version that everything is almost too fast. The jump to (unstable) 60FPS is nice, but many things now feel like they're moving far faster than intended. Specifically, Kirito's movement speed is ridiculous now. The game actually felt better in a lot of ways running at 30 on Vita.

zulux21

So how many of you picked it up this week for $5 on the PSN sale?

amazon just price matched it and that allowed me to use my prime no rush credit on it thus I picked it up.

thus I have two questions.

A. Can you transfer saves between the vita and ps4 version?
B. can you play co op between a ps4 and vita version?

Cornbread78

amazon just price matched it and that allowed me to use my prime no rush credit on it thus I picked it up.

A) yes
B) not sure, good question though.

I'm not sure what I'm doing lol, enemies die so fast it doesn't give me time to figure things out, just mashing circle.
Is there a way to turn off the fastest running speed? It looks so janky and I find it really disorienting.

Just tried it with remote play and it's nice to have the best of both worlds, portability and all the improvements of the PS4 version.

NeOak

a) one way, Vita to PS4
b) No

Top Bottom