• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syfy to Make Krypton TV Series (...with David Goyer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mariolee

KryptonLogo-12801-720x405.jpg

Krypton will focus on Superman’s grandfather, the father of Jor-El, and is set quite awhile before the planet explodes.

Per the official series description, “Years before the Superman legend we know, the House of El was shamed and ostracized. This series follows The Man of Steel's grandfather as he brings hope and equality to Krypton, turning a planet in disarray into one worthy of giving birth to the greatest Super Hero ever known.”

Goldberg is writing the pilot teleplay, based on a story conceived by Goyer & Goldberg.

Krypton would join a bevy of DC Comics series already on the air, across multiple networks, with more on the way. CBS is the home to another upcoming Superman-related series, Supergirl, which is now searching for a lead actress. Meanwhile, Titans is in development at TNT and a pilot could be filming next year according to DC's Geoff Johns. IGN Logo

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12...+twitter&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Didn't see another thread aside from the rumor one. I wonder two things:

1. Whether this will be in the DCCU or Arrowverse or its own thing like Gotham.
2. How David Goyer keeps getting hired? At least he's not actually writing the script. Dude is a good idea man, but the dialogue.

DC managed to come up with a TV series premise even dumber than Gotham. Bruce Wayne as a kid, forget that, let's do Superman's grandfather!

I mean really what are you getting from using the Krypton/DC tie in. Are they going to be stuck on the planet? Will they introduce the Green Lanterns or Legion or the Thanagarians?

If it's just set on Krypton I honestly don't see the appeal. And Goyer's involvement does little to improve my confidence.

Willing to be proven wrong, but for now I just don't get it.

Penguin

Yeah, I can't make heads or tails of this one.

When it was first rumoed, it was gonna star his day... and MAYBE I could have seen an angle with the impending destruction of Krypton, and him trying to prevent or convince others of it.

But this... I don't even get the point.

MisterHero

We did, and people hated it towards the middle and were ambivalent towards the end.

Smallville_Superman_Good.jpg
No, it was a Superboy show. And they weren't even legally allowed to say Superboy. And the actor didn't want to wear the costume.

Tom Welling is wearing a t-shirt in that shot. The logo might've been CG too.

Kouichi

See I understand the idea behind Gotham. The city is just as significant as Batman himself, so a series centered around a pre-batman Gotham is a neat idea

But Krypton? It's just known as the planet Superman came from. What's the point?

Veelk

Banned
Why?

What's the point?

No superpowers, plus we know the outcome already.
Yeah, but we said the same thing about Gotham, and it turned out to be surprisingly good.

Plus I heard that one book on Krypton is pretty good.

This can work....Goyer though....well, atleast it isn't CW.

DC managed to come up with a TV series premise even dumber than Gotham. Bruce Wayne as a kid, forget that, let's do Superman's grandfather!

I mean really what are you getting from using the Krypton/DC tie in. Are they going to be stuck on the planet? Will they introduce the Green Lanterns or Legion or the Thanagarians?

If it's just set on Krypton I honestly don't see the appeal. And Goyer's involvement does little to improve my confidence.

Willing to be proven wrong, but for now I just don't get it.

well Gotham is pretty good so I guess you are wrong.
and I can see this working if they involve the other DC races like Thanagarians, Rannians, Coluans, Oans, Tamaranians, etc.

Penguin

Why does DC think we want to watch prequels so badly?

Smallville ran for 10 years and was pretty solid ratings wise for the Network.

Gotham is the 2nd highest rated comic show on TV (behind the Walking Dead)

We may not want to watch it, but somehow the general public enjoys.

Probably seeing a world/character they know... develop?

This though... I don't... not like Smallville/Gotham where you can have younger versions of heroes and villains

G-Fex

Why does DC think we want to watch prequels so badly?

This. Gotham works because the city has a history and things are happening and it works. Even without Batman it works.

Gotham is really good. The Flash is really good. Arrow is really good. Constantine I haven't watched.

I'd say they've earned our trust in the TV space.

Those are not prequels.

There is nothing interesting about Krypton in my onion.

Might as well have a show about Hal Jordan pre-GL. Call it "Ferris Air"

Guess what happens in it? NOTHING. He just is a pilot.

Mariolee

One of the positives about this is that they can do whatever the heck they want because in the end the planet gets blown up anyway. One of the negatives is that it means there is almost nothing significant from this show that could have any lasting impact on the rest of the universe as a whole unless they involve other aliens (which they probably will). So basically, this can't pull an Agents of SHIELD and rely on it being in a superhero universe with other (better) properties to hold it up. This will have to stand on its own since it will have almost no recognizable characters.

I'm interested in how this turns out.

Mariolee

Those are not prequels.

I mean, they are origin stories though so you might be able to consider them prequels to larger storylines established in the comics or cartoons that may happen later. It's as much a prequel as Gotham is if you consider Gotham a prequel.

Magwik

Banned
I think it's a really good idea to further explore Kryton. There is a lot of interesting stuff to explore as well as not being tied down by existing characters due to it being a generation back.

MisterHero

They can't even involve the Phantom Zone cuz Jor-El built it.

They could do 5 seasons investigating Hal's dad's crash and determining whether it was sabotage or just an accident.
it was an accident

G-Fex

I mean, they are origin stories though so you might be able to consider them prequels to larger storylines established in the comics or cartoons that may happen later. It's as much a prequel as Gotham is if you consider Gotham a prequel.

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I mean if like Brainiac or whoever shows up, why wouldn't I just see him in Supergirl than Krypton?

I guess they can cover wars or something going on in Krypton (which I don't remember it having wars in the first place cause they were a advanced race but go nuts goyer!)

Mariolee

I mean if like Brainiac or whoever shows up, why wouldn't I just see him in Supergirl than Krypton?

I guess they can cover wars or something going on in Krypton (which I don't remember it having wars in the first place cause they were a advanced race but go nuts goyer!)

Yeah, I feel like something like this is redundant with Supergirl and the actual Man of Steel stuff going on. Unless it all ends up tying together I'm not really sure how they won't step on each others' toes unless Krypton will have wholly original villains and characters.

Has there ever been a comic based on JUST Krypton?

Maddocks

It could be great, but I doubt it only because, the idea just sounds week. Doesn't sound like it will be very deep.

They can't even involve the Phantom Zone cuz Jor-El built it.

They could do 5 seasons investigating Hal's dad's crash and determining whether it was sabotage or just an accident.
it was an accident

Jor-El didn't build the Phantom zone, the phantom zone is limbo. he just built a gateway to it. but actually I think Krypton already had it built way before Jor-El.

krypton had a lot wars and colonized lots of planets. in the comics that's how Kryptonians found out they can gain powers under a sun (that's not red)

G-Fex

Yeah, I feel like something like this is redundant with Supergirl and the actual Man of Steel stuff going on. Unless it all ends up tying together I'm not really sure how they won't step on each others' toes unless Krypton will have wholly original villains and characters.

Has there ever been a comic based on JUST Krypton?

Probably a very short mini-series. I thought TV was super separate from the movies.

Smallville season 9 was all about a clone of Zod and a bunch of Kryptonians (including Jor-El) coming to Earth after being released from a... crystal I think. They were part of an experiment in case of emergency. Their version of the Bottle City of Kandor. Major Zod lost his wife and son when the city of Kandor was destroyed in a civil war.

Veelk

Banned
Those are not prequels.

The problem with this argument is that it's self defeating. Of course there is nothing interesting about Krypton. There was nothing interesting about Gotham at one point either. There isn't anything inherently interesting about any person, place or thing until someone sits down and writes out a story that makes it interesitng. Gotham was once just the name that some loser comic hero named batman once resided. But through the years, people have sat down, provided detail and style and history to the place, and now it's interesting. There is no reason why Krypton, or even Ferris Air, or anything, shouldn't get the same treatment. To say otherwise just comes off as anti-creative to me. I've read stories where all characters did was sit in a room and talked navel gazing philosophy for hours in end, and it gripped me because it was well written. If you can make that engaging, you can work drama into a planet that is faced with inevitable doom.

With good writing, you could make anything interesting. I'm guessing I'm guessing the writers will use political intrigue and establish backstories to various villains and side characters of Krypton. That has good potential for a lot of different characters.

It's really just a matter of whether the writers are up to the task. With Goyer, I doubt that, but that's not the fault of the premise.

guek

Banned
I guess this could be good but all we have is a setting. With very little source material to pull from, it'll have to stand on its own original story, about which we know pretty much nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom