• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syfy to Make Krypton TV Series (...with David Goyer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wait, people are saying Gotham is good?

I haven't seen it, but that first trailer anti-sold me on it

It's decent. Penguin won a lot of people over on the show. I'm personally not that impressed with him, but the show has had a couple decent episodes. I still watch it week to week, so they must be doing something right.

Veelk

Banned

When I first heard of it, I had reservations. After watching Arrow and thinking it's really bad, I saw the new super young Gordon with the military haircut, and I assumed it was going to be the same CW type shit. The premise hadn't sold me either. How much, really, can you do with Batman without Batman?And then I saw the first episode at an early convention showing. It didn't impress me. It didn't help there was a projector problem where it froze near the end and it took more than 10 minutes to fix it. Then I started watching the show and....it really came into it's own. There are problems. Don't go thinking its perfect, especially the first few episodes where it is learning to find its footing. It's biggest issue is that the acting can still be really hookey.

But yes, as someone who really didn't expect much from the show, it's good. They indicate they have a plan for where they are going with the story, and they have a fairly good grasp of all the classic batman characters.

What they also have is a real sense of visual flair. Gotham City is a highly surreal place where just flat out wierd shit happens, killers with really strange MO's, and people with truly odd quirks. Think of it like a mix between Batman The Animated Series and Nolan's Gothams. Some people find them annoying and unrealistic (or 'camp' even though it's not), but I think they lend a very psychodelic atmosphere. And they spend a good time developing the villains, their motivations and ruthlessness and sympathetic angles...and the Bruce and Alfred relationship is truly one I don't think I've ever seen before, where Bruce is genuinely a disturbed child and Alfred is sudden parent that DOES NOT know what the fuck he is doing. Harvey and Gordon are entertaining to watch as they're partnership grows. Harvey in particular is the best casting choice they made and the actor plays the part perfectly.

The show is still in it's adolescence and we have to see the conclusion of atlesat one arc (which will likely be the season finale), but thus far, I'm surprised. Very, pleasantly surprised. These writers understand Batman and that he is more than a man in a batsuit. And for this reason, Gotham works.

I hope to hell Krypton gets the same treatment.

Hagi

It's mediocre to good. There's a few characters who really sell the show and make it fun to watch, bullock and penguin being the mains. It's ridiculously on the nose at times and Gordon is pretty terrible so ymmv.

Oddduck

Think of it like a mix between Batman The Animated Series and Nolan's Gothams. Some people find them annoying and unrealistic (or 'camp' even though it's not), but I think they lend a very psychodelic atmosphere.

This is why I'm enjoying Gotham.

The show's atmosphere is a mix of The Animated Series, the Tim Burton movies, and the Nolan movies.

It feels like a live action cartoon with a heightened reality and a lot of dark comedy.

Wiktor

I get that they want to make shows using their IPs that can fit into pre-existing TV tropes. Like generic sci-fi shows, or police dramas, or whatever.

I'm just tired of prequels. There have to be other places in the DCU to explore that don't involve building up to an ending we all already know. Flash, Arrow, even Constantine are much more enjoyable to me than the awkwardness of Gotham or Smallville before it.

You're acting like Flash is full of surprises. It's also builting to a state we already know and know well. Same with Constantine and Arrow. As long as the story is good I don't see any problem with it. And yes, they do use some IPs to fit tropes, but superhero show is just as much of a trope as police procedural and all this craziness of Gotham sure makes me enjoy it far more than typical ordinary police procedural. And no..I think if it was set in Batman era it would be a lot worse.

With Krypton it's bassiclay blank canvas anyway with the one apocalypse on the horizon that might or might not happen in the actual show. DC is making straight superhero tv shows, non-superhero comic book adaptations. There's like 16 shows out or in development. I honestly don't see why would 2 prequel stories about settings cause such uproar. Gotham numbers show plenty of people enjoy those type of stories.

Even if you don't, it's not like there's drought of other DC shows for you to enjoy. Heck..you won't like Krypton, you will have Supergirl and Arrow is bassicaly Batman show at this point, so even those specific IPs and stories are covered instead of being sacrificed just to allow creators to tell GOtham and Krypton stories

Wiktor

A lot of people liked Smallville quite a bit, and many are liking Gotham now. It's a personal opinion. I find prequels boring, especially when there's so much material in the DCU already.
I guess it is indeed just a matter of preference. But I would say that variety is objectively good. In this case the prequels aren't build by sacrificing adaptations of existing comicbooks.

As for Arrow and The Flash, both adaptations are very, very different from their source material. We really don't know where any of it is going. So many basics in both shows are utterly unrecognizable compared to their comics counterparts.

Nah. The details might change or get reshuffled, but the big important things generally won't. The whole first season 1 of Flash is built around mystery that's already 70% solved for anyone who've read the comics. There are still some suprises, but generally it's a bit weird to see a show and know so much about it's stories before they actually happen.
Personally I'm happy that a year from now each week I will be seeing classic stories reinvented in Supergirl and then being able to watch Krypton where I will have no clue what to expect

Oddduck

I'm just tired of prequels. There have to be other places in the DCU to explore that don't involve building up to an ending we all already know.

Other than Bruce becoming Batman, do we really know the full ending?

Although Gotham is a prequel, it could also be looked at as an elsewhere tale. For example, Bruce meeting Selina when they are children is something that never happened in the comics.

Also, the show creators have stated that killing "un-killable" characters is possible.

Some people think they know where Gotham is going because it's a prequel, but this show could still go into very unexpected directions. Especially since it's not tied or connected to other DC Comics movies or television shows.

Busty

Banned
Though DC/WBtv have already said that they will be keeping their film and TV 'universes' separate I think that this Krypton show could benefit from being a distant prequel to Man Of Steel.

All the early space exploration and colonisation by Krypton in Man Of Steel could make for a really interesting TV series, especially if they keep the same design aesthetic that Snyder's Krypton had.

It could be a mix of Game of Thrones mixed with the space opera of Battlestar. And given how SyFy are looking for such a show it could really work.

If they decide to go the 'original' route with it however..., ehhhhhhh.

Penguin

Though DC/WBtv have already said that they will be keeping their film and TV 'universes' separate I think that this Krypton show could benefit from being a distant prequel to Man Of Steel.

All the early space exploration and colonisation by Krypton in Man Of Steel could make for a really interesting TV series, especially if they keep the same design aesthetic that Snyder's Krypton had.

It could be a mix of Game of Thrones mixed with the space opera of Battlestar. And given how SyFy are looking for such a show it could really work.

If they decide to go the 'original' route with it however..., ehhhhhhh.

Necro-bumo

Seems like Busty may have been on to something. According to Mr. Goyer...

"It takes place 200 years before Man of Steel,We're treating Krypton like it's a historical piece. We look to previous cultures on Earth to model what that would be like.

We scratched the surface in the film and, for me, that was the allure, I was always fascinated, as a kid, with the books about Krypton and they’ve only shaded in a tiny bit, so we’ll learn about the politics of the world. We’ll learn about the culture, the art, all the different guilds.

http://www.newsarama.com/26473-krypton-will-explore-the-history-of-superman-s-homeworld.html

Penguin

We're moving forward with this... I guess

http://deadline.com/2016/04/superma...r-david-goyer-showrunner-director-1201741635/

David S. Goyer’s long-gestating Superman prequel Krypton is a go at Syfy. The cable network, which has been developing the project for more than a year-and-a-half, is finalizing a deal for a pilot order. Damian Kindler (Sleepy Hollow) has come on board as executive producer/showrunner, while Peaky Blinders helmer Colm McCarthy has been set to direct the pilot for Warner Horizon TV.

Mariolee

Did not expect this to get bumped lol

I sincerely do hope this goes well, especially if it takes place within the DCCU.

Kaladin

History tells me these kind of pre-quels aren't that good.

6a00d834518cc969e20120a6876c45970b-300wi

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
Excellent. We already have a Batman show without Batman so I'm looking forward to a Superman show without Superman.
Yeah, but a Batman show with Batman on the periphery could have worked (Gotham Central). Don't know why Fox didn't go that route. No interest in watching Gotham.

Dunlop

I'm baffled at the Gotham hate. I think it smokes every other show atm.

Close 2nd to AoS and The Flash (assuming this week's sad excuse of an episode is a abnormality)

That said, I don't see the point of this show

Penguin

Close 2nd to AoS and The Flash (assuming this week's sad excuse of an episode is a abnormality)

Some people can't get past the whole "Batman show without Batman" though never advertised it as a Batman show.

I think it's the best comic book show right now. not my personal favorite as I find The Flash more entertaining, but as an actual show... it really has little equal.

Looks great. Well acted. Good pace/momentum. Interesting characters.

Gotham mention? Yeah it's fucking entertaining. Eclipses daredevil too tbh.

I was so against the idea when I heard about it or even during much of season 1. But season 2 reminds you that the showrunner did previously work on Rome. It's so fun.

jb1234

If Goyer is involved, there's a good chance Bear McCreary is doing the music. So at least one good thing might come from this.

Shauni

Wasn't there a Krypton comic series several years back that was considered pretty good, basically detailed the decay of the society and how the politics basically made people ignore the coming doom of the planet? If it goes that route, it could be pretty good I think. I don't know how long they could sustain that, but it has potential.

Even though I'm enjoying Gotham, I'll definitely pass on this. Goyer's the reason I won't watch the DCEU flicks, I don't want him screwing up tv shows as well. Even if they are in separate universes. I hoped that with time, this would have just disappeared into the ether.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

To be fair, this thread is originally from December 2014 which is early Season 1 of Gotham. It's way better now, but the show was definitely searching for direction early on. I actually ended up dropping the show shortly after my response in this thread, and then picked it back up when people said that "The Ogre" arc was pretty good.

Season 2 of Gotham being so great does fill me with more optimism about this project. Honestly, worst case scenario it sucks and I can just not watch it. Best case scenario, we get some cool additions to the Superman mythos.

massoluk

Banned
One hell of a bump, but if Gotham taught me anything, Jor-El will meet the yet non-villainous Brainiac, Darkseid, all the new Gods, Doomsday, Imperiex, Mxyzptlk, Metallo while they stopped by Krypton while sightseeing, may be even Lex Luthor's grandfather somehow.

Riptwo

I'd watch a Kandor series that dealt with the street level reactions of citizens while the bottle went on various adventures like being dusted or falling off of a shelf.

IconGrist

One hell of a bump, but if Gotham taught me anything, Jor-El will meet the yet non-villainous Brainiac, Darkseid, all the new Gods, Doomsday, Imperiex, Mxyzptlk, Metallo while they stopped by Krypton while sightseeing, may be even Lex Luthor's grandfather somehow.

This actually takes places before Jor-El so it'll be some unknown Kryptonian meeting all those characters, haha!

MisterHero

It would be nice to see exactly why the Kryptonians didn't leave the planet.

Maybe it was because half of them tried to conquer the universe.

Supergirl already has fairly regular flashbacks to Krypton.

It honestly seems like the best way to have any kind of pre-explosion Krypton stuff on TV. You get enough of a look to get a sense of the culture, but you're not stuck with having to care about drama when you already know what the outcome is.

I like science fiction so this interests me more than Gotham (which doesn't interest me at all). I just hope they do say something that links this with the DC Live Action Multiverse that has been born out of Arrowverse and Karaverse.

IconGrist

I like science fiction so this interests me more than Gotham (which doesn't interest me at all). I just hope they do say something that links this with the DC Live Action Multiverse that has been born out of Arrowverse and Karaverse.

As I understand it this is linked to Man of Steel. Unless I misread when this was first announced.

As I understand it this is linked to Man of Steel. Unless I misread when this was first announced.
If it is and they link it to the Multiverse established with Flash and Supergirl it would also establish the DC Cinematic Universe as part of the greater Multiverse without needing to reference it in the films.

Fury451

Banned
Finally. I was getting a little sick of hearing people clamoring for a story about Superman's grandfather, this will hush those voices

Busty

Banned

Agreed, I think that Gotham (no that Scream Queens is off the air) is the most demented hour of broadcast TV on the air.

But, to be fair, SyFy (and arguably the basic cable space as a whole) is all about known brands and Krypton, if they can make it at the right price, is as good an IP as any if they are looking for a potential new space opera show. That's if you're looking at it from a business point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom