• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Syndicate |OT|

I was one of the, what.. 200,000 people who bought this game at full price.

Multiplayer did pretty much everything wrong:

- no customizable gear
- no customizable characters
- no unlockables to keep the interest and to play for
- only one game mode
- gameplay is very newbie-unfriendly
- overall gameplay is very team oriented [obviously], but without a squad of friends you are at the mercy of the skills of your random teammates more so than in any other game

There is a false sense of a realtime overarching element with the companies and the shares. I expected something like MAG - you join one of either three companies, do the missions to sabotage other companies or steal their equipment and thus improve your company's stats and worldwide domination. Special score bonusses and perks for the top company keep people competing to gain the upper hand.

You know, a realtime dynamic that keeps things interesting. But instead we get nothing. There is no reason to care for anything that's happening. No special unlocks other than the very basic sight, ammo, receiver etc. It also doesn't help that the game gets insanely difficult after the fourth or so mission. Especially when playing with random people it turns into a frustrating ordeal extremely quickly. The difficulty spike also often resulted in endless rotation of just the first two missions.

I had high hopes because I think the futuristic art direction is top notch, but unfortunately Starbreeze missed the ball. The game had a great potential with the company industrial espionage shadow war thing going on, but the execution is flawed on every front.

These are false.
The game is not inherently difficult either, you just have to know what you're doing.

There are abilities and mods for every gun, as well as different Breach skills.

Just sounds like you didn't get into it. It has flaws, but the things you named aren't the problem.

nel e nel

LTTP: just finished this up this weekend, fun little game!

Good to know I wasn't hallucinating the bloom on this game, I kept having to adjust my TV display whenever I popped it in cause it was so washed out.

I really enjoyed it overall, and found that I saw it almost as more of a puzzler(?) than a straight up shooter. The breaching mechanic added a layer to the gameplay that made it much more tactical to clearing out rooms, traversing levels and defeating bosses.

At first, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Upgrade Potential of the game, and felt that I got way too little upgrades to really notice a difference in gameplay. You get about 8 or so upgrades to use in 27 possible choices, and honestly, most of them are pretty 'meh'. I just didn't see how anyone wouldn't focus on the less damage, more health, longer DART overlay upgrades and nothing else. But, I did a 2nd speedrun on Hard (all CEO rankings w00t!), and it felt a lot more well paced that time around.

Co-op is a lot of fun, and reminds me a bit of Brink with the progression based, multiple objective maps. The way they mix up the types of objectives not only across maps but within a map itself is also reminiscent of Brink too.

But one thing: WTF was up with that ending in the SP? I mean,
you are all but dead, Denham is dancing on your body, then you get up and dude just drops off the building in a Jesus Christ Pose?
. It was a pretty fun futuristic corporate dystopia storyline until that moment, and the totally predictable cheesetastic "Now that you're human again, what will you do now?" line at the end.

frontieruk

LTTP: just finished this up this weekend, fun little game!

Good to know I wasn't hallucinating the bloom on this game, I kept having to adjust my TV display whenever I popped it in cause it was so washed out.

I really enjoyed it overall, and found that I saw it almost as more of a puzzler(?) than a straight up shooter. The breaching mechanic added a layer to the gameplay that made it much more tactical to clearing out rooms, traversing levels and defeating bosses.

At first, I was a bit underwhelmed with the Upgrade Potential of the game, and felt that I got way too little upgrades to really notice a difference in gameplay. You get about 8 or so upgrades to use in 27 possible choices, and honestly, most of them are pretty 'meh'. I just didn't see how anyone wouldn't focus on the less damage, more health, longer DART overlay upgrades and nothing else. But, I did a 2nd speedrun on Hard (all CEO rankings w00t!), and it felt a lot more well paced that time around.

Co-op is a lot of fun, and reminds me a bit of Brink with the progression based, multiple objective maps. The way they mix up the types of objectives not only across maps but within a map itself is also reminiscent of Brink too.

But one thing: WTF was up with that ending in the SP? I mean,
you are all but dead, Denham is dancing on your body, then you get up and dude just drops off the building in a Jesus Christ Pose?
. It was a pretty fun futuristic corporate dystopia storyline until that moment, and the totally predictable cheesetastic "Now that you're human again, what will you do now?" line at the end.

Yeah that was a bit fucked up, but I think we're far enough in to the year not to spoiler the ending ;) but I'm glad people are finding it an enjoyable game, it's a shame it was sent to die.

Nopren

Soo, with Origin having their 50% off-sale I finally bought Syndicate. But there doesn't seem to be anyone still playing the co-op, so wanted to hear if anyone from Syndicate-PCGAF would still be up for some co-op. My tag is : BottPlugBaronen and I'm of course on PC.

frontieruk

Soo, with Origin having their 50% off-sale I finally bought Syndicate. But there doesn't seem to be anyone still playing the co-op, so wanted to hear if anyone from Syndicate-PCGAF would still be up for some co-op. My tag is : BottPlugBaronen and I'm of course on PC.

Ok this gives me a reason to pull the rig outta the spare room :) will do that saturday but I'm game if that's ok?

Nopren

That's awesome. Will be out of the house for the weekend though, and won't be back before monday. But I can add you on Origin and then we can see when we both have time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I've got the game on PC, and it's running at 60fps but there seems to be a weird stutter to the animation.

Is this a common thing, and does anyone know of a way to fix it? It's incredibly distracting.

Are there a few people around here with the 360 copy that want to do the co-op stuff? I recently started the game up and would really like to try out the co-op stuff, especially since I've heard favorable things about that section of the game. I tried to start up a Quick Match on Normal difficulty and nobody seemed to be online and I sat there for a few minutes. Of course it was also 2:30am at the time so perhaps that didn't help my attempt.

Anyhow, if there's a few people that want to get together fairly soon online that'd be super swell. My tag is Lord Wibble if you wish to add me on Live or send a message on there. I bop around between many games but rarely have an issue putting down what I'm playing if invited to play something else online. I'm out of town until Christmas evening so I wouldn't be able to play until after that but I'm free pretty much anytime after since I'm an unemployed student.

And honestly part of the reason I want to play the co-op stuff is to work on the achievements. I don't enjoy the idea of boosting but I'd likely be looking to create simple situations to get some and would likely suggest things like grouping together so I can get the healing teammates achievements and such. I'd completely be up for helping others looking to work on them, too.

scitek

I'm replaying this on Hard, and man, this time I'm really enjoying it. The full body awareness that Starbreeze is so good at is something I wish more games would attempt. Guns and sounds also pack a nice satisfying punch, and DART6 makes it feel a lot like FEAR to me, mostly because of the slomo, but being able to use different weapons for different situations, like shooting through walls, makes you feel powerful. It's honestly a little cheap and easy, but damn if it isn't a lot of fun.

I'm replaying this on Hard, and man, this time I'm really enjoying it. The full body awareness that Starbreeze is so good at is something I wish more games would attempt. Guns and sounds also pack a nice satisfying punch, and DART6 makes it feel a lot like FEAR to me, mostly because of the slomo, but being able to use different weapons for different situations, like shooting through walls, makes you feel powerful. It's honestly a little cheap and easy, but damn if it isn't a lot of fun.

I agree with everything in this post. Find someone who digs it and play some two-player co-op on the highest difficulty. Sick.

frontieruk

Just to mention there is 50% off if you buy from Origin atm, that makes it £7.99 in the UK couldn't check the rest of the prices but thought I'd mention it.

malfcn

Just got my copy from Microsoft Store and it had the Executive Status codes in the box. Wasn't that for pre-orders only..or "pre-order" first editions? Anyways, some people said the gold guns look bad. Can they be removed if redeemed?

frontieruk

Just got my copy from Microsoft Store and it had the Executive Status codes in the box. Wasn't that for pre-orders only..or "pre-order" first editions? Anyways, some people said the gold guns look bad. Can they be removed if redeemed?

you have to select the golden version of the guns if I remember correctly so you aren't forced to use them.

malfcn

Can I max out my chips? What kind of upgrades did you follow?
Found out that 9 is possible of the 17..but you can respec during chapter select.
Can you earn MP chips and use them in SP?

And can anyone invite me to a Syndicate for the achievement?

frontieruk

Can I max out my chips? What kind of upgrades did you follow?
Found out that 9 is possible of the 17..but you can respec during chapter select.
Can you earn MP chips and use them in SP?

And can anyone invite me to a Syndicate for the achievement?

Which platform, and not sure on the MP back to SP had finished with SP when I went back

Top Bottom