• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two CEO Says They're Coming to E3 in a Big Way

Which potential Take-Two E3 unveiling are you most excited about?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Well Call of Duty was in Spaaaaaceeee.

One person shooting up a bar versus an over the top science fiction/fantasy world is certainly not the same thing in the slightest.
Which wouldn't explain the inclusion of the Modern Warfare remake either, which includes you killing thousands with automatic weapons and millions in a city being annihilated as a key plot point.

Which wouldn't explain the inclusion of the Modern Warfare remake either, which includes you killing thousands with automatic weapons and millions in a city being annihilated as a key plot point.
...which is still not as similar as one man shooting up a BAR to kick off a trailer because of what happened a few days ago and after what Layden opened the conference with.

Joni

And if you are Rockstar you don't pull your own game from a conference regardless of how much controversy it may cause
Rockstar had nothing to gain from this controversy, it would only hurt them and overshadow the game. It is not like they have been looking for controversy. The last time they caused controversy was by something they had pulled from a game.

If Sony tried to just pull out of a Rockstar announcement they likely aren't contractually able to. Unless maybe RDR2 will be a focus at the inevitable Neo show?
Gamescom is in two months, Tokyo Game Show in three, Paris Game Week in four. Sony has a lot of time to show anything.

I thought the Detroit thing would have hit a bit closer to home with the whole trailer centering around a man taking someone hostage and having the trailer have the fake out of both the child and the hostage taker dying.

And the theory does make sense, the placement of the demo is too weird. Usually if a demo goes as a closer, I'd think it'd be because of a major fake-out being revealed, like the trailer showing P.T. and the demo revealing it to actually be Silent Hills. That sort of thing.

I probably should. I could swear I remember seeing bullet impact feedback on the reticule from hitting a dude.

I thought so too at the time, but watched some of the various outlets reaction streams and noticed there was definitely a point to make that entire situation more tame through the use of the taser and avoiding the use of guns except to shoot out the window.

If there's any truth to that, and that's a big if, i'd say you shouldn't count on seeing it any time during E3. Rockstar isn't just going to announce the game and show a trailer while E3's running. They'll pull back and wait a few weeks or months. Possibly to whenever Sony's next show is.

With that said, I don't necessarily believe the story. Had they posted it before the conference then i'd say there was something to it. But it just comes comes across as people not wanting to accept that it wasn't going to be shown in the first place. Like I said in the other thread, E3 really isn't Rockstar's style when it comes to revealing games.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
...which is still not as similar as one man shooting up a BAR to kick off a trailer because of what happened a few days ago and after what Layden opened the conference with.
Which is baseless conjecture. We don't know what would have been in such a hypothetical trailer and even then it would have to be something that wasn't easily removed.

Isn't it more likely that Rockstar, who typically avoids E3, had nothing to announce at E3 like usual?

border

He shot out the window so he could escape. He doesn't kill a single person in the demo

So it's would be insensitive to show him shooting people, but just getting into a gunfight is okay? It makes no sense that a cowboy with a revolver would somehow call to mind a recent tragedy, but the Watch Dogs guy blasting through a fairly modern setting is somehow acceptable.

I thought so too at the time, but watched some of the various outlets reaction streams and noticed there was definitely a point to make that entire situation more tame through the use of the taser and avoiding the use of guns except to shoot out the window.

Memory's so weird...I remembered being pretty impressed by the choice of nonlethal tactics and then rolling my eyes when the AK came out and a dude crumpled from blind fire.

Anyway, that's beside the point. Nonlethal-lethal-nonlethal is way different from gunning down a saloon full of civilians.

TBH, if this turns out to be true, mad props to Rockstar for pulling it. They're honestly the last company I'd have expected to be that degree of sensitive to this sort of thing.

If it turns out to be false, I still want to know what the weird fuckery was with Days Gone, the early upload and the split demo. Something clearly changed at the last minute.

Dabanton

Some people on reddit are thinking the same guy who this info came from originally signed back up pretending to be another insider.

Pretty pathetic if true.

Say this rumour does pan out when do people think it would be released April or may 2017? Or would they release in September like GTAV?

One thing that has me salivating in that scenario is Neo would be out and Scorpio would be on the horizon. Two consoles able to hopefully push this game to the limit.

Simo

To address the insider thing, I haven't heard anything about press seeing RDR at the show.

I have you heard anything about RDR? Is it possible this story about Orlando possibly being a factor in RDR not being shown at Sony's conference?

Nzyme32

Rockstar doesn't even have a presence at E3 this year, do they? Doesn't sound like they have anything to announce.

Stuff happening throughout the week. TakeTwo are the ones saying they will have a big presence, and they do - mafia 3 is big, Civ vi is huge, then there's the usual basketball and wrestling stuff that's big for them.

Actually reading the interview made that clear. It's the summer that remains a mystery and they may well announce in the coming days, but Rockstar rarely use E3 in recent times

MattyG

Banned
Wait, is part of the rumor that the footage showed someone shooting up a saloon? Or is that just people trying to justify the rumor that it was pushed because of Orlando?

So it's would be insensitive to show him shooting people, but just getting into a gunfight is okay? It makes no sense that a cowboy with a revolver would somehow call to mind a recent tragedy, but the Watch Dogs guy blasting through a fairly modern setting is somehow acceptable.

Did you even read the rumored description of the trailer for Red Dead.

Guy walks into a bar and shoots people.

How does that NOT evoke what just happened in Orlando?

Toparaman

Banned
Big rumor, and it's just a rumor, is that Sony and Rockstar decided not to announce Red Dead because of the Orlando shooting. That'd make sense because Rockstar have been under the media scrutiny before and they likely don't want it now over this and it would explain the abrupt ending to Sony's show.

That sounds like horseshit. I doubt the new Red Dead has anything more gratuitous than the numerous neck stabbings, impalements, dismemberments, and gun massacres displayed at this year's press conferences.

I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.

jschreier

I have you heard anything about RDR? Is it possible this story about Orlando possibly being a factor in RDR not being shown at Sony's conference?
Definitely possible but I have not heard anything about that. I was expecting to see it close out the show tho.

Simo

Wait, is part of the rumor that the footage showed someone shooting up a saloon? Or is that just people trying to justify the rumor that it was pushed because of Orlando?

Yeah the rumor is a scene shows an outlaw walking into a popular saloon/brothel and opens fire on the people inside.

Definitely possible but I have not heard anything about that. I was expecting to see it close out the show tho.

You're the Press Sneak...get to work! lol

Thewonandonly

Hmmmmm Mabey they did have a surprise trailer to announce but didn't show press. Rockstar would have a scene like that in a trailer, and even they don't want to amount of backlash that would come from it. Wonder when they will announce it again if true?

Fasinating tho because the end of sony's conference was really weird haha

MattyG

Banned
Hmmmmm Mabey they did have a surprise trailer to announce but didn't show press. Rockstar would have a scene like that in a trailer, and even they don't want to amount of backlash that would come from it. Wonder when they will announce it again if true?

Fasinating tho because the end of sony's conference was really weird haha
Would they though? I feel like it's not the type of thing they'd put in a reveal trailer. It's too specific and narrow of a scene for a R* reveal trailer.

border

Guy walks into a bar and shoots people.

How does that NOT evoke what just happened in Orlando?

Probably because a cowboy saloon and a 2016 night club are different settings. They're relatively dissimilar situations beyond the shooting aspect.

A more modern shootout would be way more evocative of Orlando, but nobody even brings it up in relation to Watch Dogs 2 or any of the other "shoot the shit out of everybody" games that were unveiled in the last 2 days.

Unless the one scene is literally the centerpiece of your trailer though, I'm not sure why you couldn't just recut it anyway though.

doofy102

Would they though? I feel like it's not the type of thing they'd put in a reveal trailer. It's too specific and narrow of a scene for a R* reveal trailer.

I'm pretty sure Rockstar hasn't shown a trailer with an innocent civilian's death since GTA3.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Again, why would they show Days Gone twice? the new Red Dead was most likely the game to end the show.

When was the last time Rockstar announced a game at E3? I don't even remember.

Could it be that they were never going to announce anything? Because lets be honest here, people really want a new game from Rockstar, even just an official hint would set people off. Wouldn't they have been better off with a title, a coming soon, with a little bit of music? That alone would get people going.

I just think it's a little odd that a new account on reddit claims to have known that it was pulled yesterday, but didn't make a thread about it until after the conference. Sure.

Cromwell

Banned
Again, why would they show Days Gone twice? the new Red Dead was most likely the game to end the show.

This kind of makes sense. That last Days Gone demo was fucking awful and boring, like Giant Bomb said it was just such a weird note to go out on. I'm sure that game will end up being good but that particular stretch of gameplay was not.

There's another gaming trade show at some point over the summer right? TGS or something? If Rockstar wanted to drop RDR remastered for Christmas that still gives them plenty of time, and the sequel is probably summer or holiday 2017.

MattyG

Banned
Because you show a trailer in the beginning, get people thinking that's it, and then show even more. I don't think they made and edited that whole demo in the 24 hours since the shooting to replace RDR. That's not how it works.

I don't know, this whole thing sounds like people trying to soften the disappointment of being given wrong information.

border

Not a lot of precedent for them to have a story trailer and a gameplay demo, but at the same time there's almost no precedent for them to announce a brand new Rockstar game. Aside from Agent (lol).

Something might have gotten moved from the final slot, but for all we know it may have been Gran Turismo.....or maybe God of War was supposed to be there and at some point it was decided that it would be better as an opener.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
I swear to god every time there's a press event we get a rumor saying "This game was pulled at the last minute."

Yeah, this is a shit ton of speculation, but the reasoning makes sense. Rockstar and their brands have the clout and the selling power to hold out and not be revealed at E3. GTAV tells us that they are more than likely marketing partners, so it would make sense for Rockstar, if they were ever gonna show anything at E3, they would show it at Sony.

Because you show a trailer in the beginning, get people thinking that's it, and then show even more. I don't think they made and edited that whole demo in the 24 hours since the shooting to replace RDR. That's not how it works.
In my mind the demo would have been right after the trailer, or vice versa.

Does anyone have any idea on how hard it would be for them to get one of the bigger titles last, i.e Kojima's?

This kind of makes sense. That last Days Gone demo was fucking awful and boring, like Giant Bomb said it was just such a weird note to go out on. I'm sure that game will end up being good but that particular stretch of gameplay was not.

There's another gaming trade show at some point over the summer right? TGS or something? If Rockstar wanted to drop RDR remastered for Christmas that still gives them plenty of time, and the sequel is probably summer or holiday 2017.

Gamescom is probably a more likely place than TGS, but even then I doubt they'd show it there. I feel like at this point they're either A) Going to announce sometime between now and December or B) Announce at PSX

Sn4ke_911

Because you show a trailer in the beginning, get people thinking that's it, and then show even more. Do you really think they made and edited that whole demo in the 24 hours since the shooting to replace RDR?

First: They normally don't do that.

Second: That was a live demo.

MattyG

Banned
First: They normally don't do that.

Second: That was a live demo.
To my knowledge, even live demos take weeks of prep. They don't just turn around in 24 hours and go "give us a vertical slice, NOW."

No, I thought the demo would come after the trailer like it typically does with most game reveals at E3. And in lieu of Rockstar pulling RDR2, Sony just decided to shift the demo towards the end. And it makes sense too. Nothing shown of "Days Gone" lent itself to it being the type of big reveal that E3 conferences end with. These comments coupled with the Red Dead rumors and the GTA 5 next-gen reveal on Sony's stage makes it credible that RDR2 was meant to be the big showstopper for their conference, but the pulling of the trailer led to the last minute shift.
This would make a BIT more sense. I still just can't buy that they'd pull such a huge reveal.

Because you show a trailer in the beginning, get people thinking that's it, and then show even more. Do you really think they made and edited that whole demo in the 24 hours since the shooting to replace RDR?

No, I thought the demo would come after the trailer like it typically does with most game reveals at E3. And in lieu of Rockstar pulling RDR2, Sony just decided to shift the demo towards the end. And it makes sense too. Nothing shown of "Days Gone" lent itself to it being the type of big reveal that E3 conferences end with. These comments coupled with the Red Dead rumors and the GTA 5 next-gen reveal on Sony's stage makes it credible that RDR2 was meant to be the big showstopper for their conference, but the pulling of the trailer led to the last minute shift.

Does anyone have any idea on how hard it would be for them to get one of the bigger titles last, i.e Kojima's?

Definitely more than the 24 hours they had. Kojima's title is probably at the stage where they don't even have gameplay, and any other big reveal they might have been planning would need more time to prep promo material and trailers and gameplay and whatnot, than what they had.

Sn4ke_911

To my knowledge, even live demos take weeks of prep. They don't just turn around in 24 hours and go "give us a vertical slice, NOW."

That's why that Days Gone demo was boring as fuck.

Of course they preped it for press to show but i doubt it was planned for the press conference.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

This would make a BIT more sense. I still just can't buy that they'd pull such a huge reveal.

Well we gotta question if both parties wanted it pulled, or was it 2k, or was it sony? I can see with sony making an open air acknowledgment of the shooting and then playing the described rdr trailer in the end giving very bad PR. Or if Sony didn't want it pulled, are they willing to damage their relationship with one of the biggest money makers in the industry for a game that will sell 10s of millions anyway?

Definitely more than the 24 hours they had. Kojima's title is probably at the stage where they don't even have gameplay, and any other big reveal they might have been planning would need more time to prep promo material and trailers and gameplay and whatnot, than what they had.

Nah I just mean switching the time slots. Put the Kojima reveal at the end, and put the Bend demo on either side of the game's trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom