• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

squall211

If any one of those three make it over here, I'm praying it's Vs. I don't own a Wii, and I have ToV on the 360 (although I'd double dip for the localized PS3 version), but if Vs. can be 1/5th as entertaining as Dissidia has been, I'll be in heaven.

xero273

RyuKanSan said:
If they released DotNW I would hope they'd have the same treatment for Graces considering it's their mothership title

namco does wierd things sometimes. they never bought over rebirth, destiny 2, innocence, and hearts. Those were mothership titles.

Rpgmonkey

The animated cut-ins are really cool, though Judith's is pretty stupid.

RyuKanSan said:
So no localization on ToV (ps3) or are we still waiting for final word? The same with Graces? If they released DotNW I would hope they'd have the same treatment for Graces considering it's their mothership title

Nothing confirmed yet.

It's probably going to be a long wait, though I'm still betting on something getting announced in Fall/Winter.

WickedLaharl said:
fuck man, it somewhat depresses me that it won't make it out over here :(

I'd hardly call it a shoe-in, but I wouldn't say "won't" just yet.

RyuKanSan

That sucks. I'm getting a Ps3 Slim n would love to play ToV. and Graces looks really good. Maybe XSeed could do it since they're bringing over Fragile

Firestorm

RyuKanSan said:
That sucks. I'm getting a Ps3 Slim n would love to play ToV. and Graces looks really good. Maybe XSeed could do it since they're bringing over Fragile
If Namco let other studios touch Tales games, we would have had a lot more titles make their way over.

Rpgmonkey

Firestorm said:
Did Eternal Sonata get announced for localization after the JP release? Maybe it'll happen again...

Nope.

Got announced for localization around E3 2008 I believe, released in Japan in September.

I wonder if Namco are waiting to see how ToV does in Japan first before giving the go ahead to a western release. I imagine that if it doesn't sell decently in comparison to the 360 version they won't bother localising it.

matmanx1

New trailer is awesome. Made me want to play it all over again!

I'm not holding my breath for the PS3 localization but I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. Thanks for the video.

Firestorm

Keikoku said:
Release the new content as DLC for the 360 version at least :/
Yeah, I'd like that even if it wasn't voiced. Although reading the story again would kill the 15 hour run I need for the achievement =(

Paznos

Even though I already have the 360 version I really really want this localized for the PS3 seems like they've added quite a bit.

Firestorm said:
Yeah, I'd like that even if it wasn't voiced. Although reading the story again would kill the 15 hour run I need for the achievement =(

Same.

That trailer had too many random plot spoiling clips for my liking. All I really wanna see is new Flynn and Patty gameplay, and some more added stuff like that Repede minigame in the beginning.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Rpgmonkey said:
Nothing confirmed yet.

It's probably going to be a long wait, though I'm still betting on something getting announced in Fall/Winter.
Interesting fact: every Tales of game localization announcement has come between February-April.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
2wd8x9d.gif

Peff

Definitely double-dipping if this is localized. I can't stand Patty but the rest of the new content seems worth it. Sadly it doesn't seem very likely right now, but I guess we'll see :-/

Have they said what Overlimit 5/6 do yet? You can hardly get any more game-breaking than invincibility+No TP usage :lol

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
grandjedi6 said:
Jesus Christ, was that really necessary Tales Studio?
she already has the armor coverage of a bikini, set aside her boobs jiggle. it's just ordinary fantasy sex symbolism thats as prevalent in the west (if not more so) as the east. add that she's an elf and i'd have to say that the boobie dance was inevitable. i mean, it could have been worse...

xero273 said:
namco does wierd things sometimes. they never bought over rebirth, destiny 2, innocence, and hearts. Those were mothership titles.
except that 3 out of those 4 are 2D (no accounting for innocence), and two on the DS. DotNW did well over here as well, so i can't think of a reason that Namco would have NOT to localize it...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
her Sultry Temptress outfit is miles better than the default one, played through with it on even in my first play through, and i usually never change costumes in the first play through.

Peff said:
Definitely double-dipping if this is localized. I can't stand Patty but the rest of the new content seems worth it. Sadly it doesn't seem very likely right now, but I guess we'll see :-/

Have they said what Overlimit 5/6 do yet? You can hardly get any more game-breaking than invincibility+No TP usage :lol

You probably need OVL 5 for the secondary mystic artes.

OVL 6 may be used for team Mystic Artes, you need to be OVL 3 to do a Mystic Arte and 6 divided by two people is 3. Of course that's only if characters other other than Yuri/Flynn have team Mystic Artes(Estelle and Rita would be an obvious choice).

I hope they add light and dark element Burst Artes.:D

Rpgmonkey

Fimbulvetr said:
Same.

That trailer had too many random plot spoiling clips for my liking. All I really wanna see is new Flynn and Patty gameplay, and some more added stuff like that Repede minigame in the beginning.

The vast majority of people contributing to this game's sales is most likely going to be the ones that also bought the 360 version anyway, so they probably don't care much about spoiling people this time and just want to get the game out while trying harder and harder to entice people into double-dipping.

Looking at how certain stuff they're adding was already done or planned (whether that means this stuff will become "DLC" in the future for future milking I have no idea), porting+adding the new content was probably cheap enough anyway that they don't really need to pull in any new crowds and outsell the 360 version for this to be a success.

grandjedi6 said:
Interesting fact: every Tales of game localization announcement has come between February-April.

Heh, never noticed that.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Famitsu scans are out and about for Graces and i now have new nicknames for the new characters.

Malik is hereby called TECHNO GAR for his GAR features (He has longer hair and facial hair of ANY kind. in anime, that usually a codeword for "epic badass") and technological super boomerang. he'll probably be the worldweary soldier who lives by his blade, but desires something more in life.

Pascal is now called SUPER~TSUN because she seems very tsuntsun~ that's so MOE~ Judging by the screens, she'll probably be an angry at everything teenage prodigy with the obvious soft spot that DISCO DUDE/her love interest (if not DISCO DUDE) will be completely oblivious to. "S-s-s-stupid world! It's not like I'm saving you because I LIKE you or anything..."

if SUPER~TSUN is either an implied lesbian like Rita or coupled with TECHNO GAR, i will laugh my ass off. and the later, while creepy, isn't any creeper than Regal X Presea, i don't care that she's younger than she looks. :p

EDIT: i just reread my post and Goddamnit, i'm coming off as creepy again, aren't i? :lol

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cnet128 said:
*raises hand* I did! I've been playing it quite a bit in the past few weeks. Impressions, impressions... well, it has more RPG elements than I originally expected. It feels more like a hybrid between a Tales game and a fighter than one or the other. It has levelling up, learning Artes, buying weapons, armour, etc. to be equipped, and in-depth skill customisation stuff.

I've mostly been playing the Yggdrasil Battle mode, which is basically the 'story mode'. Not sure how much of this has been covered in this thread already, but it has a number of different of stories to play through, with new, related ones unlocking after others are completed, and each one follows a pair of protagonists (either of which can be controlled by the player) through their adventures in the tournament.

The world is all-new, with characters given new backstories, but parallels to the original games abound, with things like replicas, Swordians, beastman discrimination, the Tartaros, etc. all playing a part in the storyline. Naturally the storyline is nothing deep or hugely original, but it's enough to keep me interested, and watching all the different characters interact in the full-voice skit-style story scenes is always entertaining.

In general, playing through the story mode is a lot of fun. Different icons appear on the map representing different types of scenes. Story scenes and bonus scenes are similar, usually (but not always) involving a 2-on-2 battle against enemies at a set level; the only difference is that the story scenes are voiced, and must be completed to progress, whereas bonus scenes are unvoiced, and just stick around on the map until you choose to face them. In addition to these, there are random battle icons, which face you against two of the 'generic enemy characters' (named "Monk", "Soldier", "Sword man" and "Mage"); unlike the story battles, these can be 1-life or point battles in addition to the usual 3-life setup, and they're tailored to your characters' levels, so they're useful for grinding if you're not a high enough level to face the next story battle. Each character's story is paced such that you finish learning all your Artes (including your Hi-Ougi) about two-thirds or so of the way through.

My only regret is that I doubt there will be a story mode for every character in the game; it's a really nice experience, and it won't be quite as fun levelling up the remaining characters in the Arcade Mode instead once all the story modes are finished. Right now, I've done the story modes for Lloyd and Colette, Cless and Kratos, and Luke and Tear, and nearly finished Jade and Anise's.

As for the actual fighting gameplay, characters control pretty much exactly how you'd expect. Each character can learn a fairly large selection of Artes, and four can be set in battle. (If I have one complaint about this game, it's that the analog nub is reserved for setting your partner AI's strategy, when it could have been used for setting extra Artes instead.) All characters can double-jump, backstep and forward-step, and they become more agile as you level up and buy/earn more skills (there are settable skills to add triple-jumps, increase the length of your backstep, increase movement speed etc). Arche alone stands out as moving completely differently... I haven't tried her out yet, but she appears to actually fly, which seems interesting to say the least XD

Though the characters control like Tales games characters, the large stages with lots of platforms, 3-life rule and unforgiving time limit all give the battles a distinctly different feel from ordinary Tales-game battles. The game uses a TP system, which might seem a little odd since you're given full TP at the start of every battle, but actually works rather well; it's fairly easily used-up, but regenerates at a decent speed, and is refilled when you go into Over Limit.

Over Limit plays a big part in battling, since simply going into Over Limit knocks nearby enemy characters to the ground, Over Limit characters never stumble, and of course it's only in Over Limit that characters can use their Hi-Ougis. In addition to the usual ways of building up the Over Limit gauge, characters have a taunt that fills it a little, and energy balls that fill a large portion of it spawn regularly across the stage for characters to grab. Once the gauge is full, Over Limit can be activated by pressing the L and R buttons; in addition to ordinary activation, it can be activated to break an enemy combo, with the downside that this causes it to run out very quickly, generally not giving you time to perform that all-important Hi-Ougi.

Oh, and as for Wallbreaker mode, I've only very briefly checked it out, but it seems insane >< The action is hectic, and I haven't really got a grip on how the weird power-gauge system actually works. Characters switch places all the time, and can be blasted out through either wall once it's been smashed, so a win can turn into a loss and vice versa incredibly easily.

Overall, I'm definitely enjoying the game, though I'd hesitate to recommend it to non-Japanese-speaking importers, since the focus on storyline scenes and character customisation would doubtless leave them a little lost.

So it's kind of like a 2D Dissidia with more traditional Tales of gameplay?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
matmanx1 said:
New trailer is awesome. Made me want to play it all over again!

I'm not holding my breath for the PS3 localization but I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. Thanks for the video.

I'm probably going to import. 80% likely for now. Might wait until November though when nothing I want is coming out.

cnet128

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Its basically Jump Super Stars with Tales characters.
I really wouldn't say that. There are certainly similarities (the way the stages are designed, the multi-jumping, etc.) but the actual action, styles of attack, etc. feel completely different, and the levelling-up and in-depth upgrading/customisation of each individual character is a far cry from Jump Super/Ultimate Stars' system of switching on the fly between a party built from a huge unlockable selection of immutable playable/support characters. The Jump games placed the focus on the variety of characters, whereas VS places the emphasis on the depth of the characters.

Also, Jump Super/Ultimate Stars never had any real storyline or character interaction; it was just "here's a ton of characters: pit them against each other!" The actual story is a big part of the VS experience. There's a reason it's almost entirely voiced.

duckroll said:
Which is why the comparison was originally made with Dissidia. :p

I just started paying attention to this thread, sue me. :lol

So Dissidia + Jump Super Stars + some stuff exclusive to the Tales series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom