• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

lostinblue said:
Script should be pretty much done, and they ought to know at this point what they want to do with their characters.

Hell, they even released profiles and shown us they already have japanese voice-overs at place.

Granted, it's speculation on our part, based on the little information released
, but the design for this characters is not embryonary at this point... it's most likely over and done with.
Well, that was sort of my point.

Geneijin said:
If the definition of black is merely skin color, then yeah. Black is an already vague term enough so I thought I just mention Woodrow even if I'm wrong, but I do think he's dark-skinned, not black - whatever "black" is suppose to mean.

Race(the way it's defined on earth) is weird to apply to fantasy settings when everyone else is a sentient animal.:lol

I see what you mean.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
http://blog-imgs-34.fc2.com/p/a/f/pafyu/vlgame000555.jpg[/IG]
No required install it looks like.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZSuerYm8Ro&feature=player_embedded[/url]
New CM?[/QUOTE]

Wow no install, that is some great news. Importing Kagari?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neojubei said:
Wow no install, that is some great news. Importing Kagari?

Most likely, though I'm still holding out a little for a NA version announcement... it's $80 so, even if it came here at $60 I'd still save money D:

Peff

Huh, the 360 version definitely doesn't take that long to load a random battle (maybe the first battle every time you start the game), and that's running off the disc. Still, that a PS3 port runs so well without installs is remarkable.

Rpgmonkey

He's the prince of Windol. Respected by his people because of his preference for peace. Has been a friend of Asbel since they were children, and they have a great amount of trust for each other. Uses a small sword (rapier?) and attack magic.

And the game includes a minigame that you download to your DS, Kamenin Merchant (Turtlemen Merchant). It's an action game in which you control a Turtleman and have to stock items, and up to four people can play through a wireless connection.

Geneijin

Fimbulvetr said:
Race(the way it's defined on earth) is weird to apply to fantasy settings when everyone else is a sentient animal.

I see what you mean.

Seriously. It doesn't help race is socially defined. Then you have various cultural differences adding to a distinctive regional definition of what blank race is. Such a mess :lol

hteng said:
wth kongman's not even black lol.. he's more asian

Well, I was responding to his question of "black" and it's already an ambiguously vague term socially defined. You could be entirely right and I'm simply stereotyping him which I probably am. I only played the Destiny remake so I have no idea of the translation on the PSX. But it's like Obama and Tiger Woods. People tend to associate someone based on their physical attributes more than what they actually might be on paper.

Can't believe I forgot Mary. Man, Destiny had a bunch of dark-skinned people. Awesome.

Rpgmonkey

V Jump Info:
-Richard: The prince of Windol with great expectations for the future, who has a tremendous amount of support from his people. He has a calm personality, and prefers subtle victories in battle, but his heart is grieved from the political conflict int he royal palace. Since meeting Asbel as children, he has considered him a special person that he trusts.
-You can freely change change characters using the directional keys (D Pad?).
-You can make materials and consumable items as shops by synthesizing materials/items.
-You can strengthen your weapons using materials you've collected. They may even have new effects.
-Same mini game mentioned earlier. Randomly generated dungeons. Your Turtleman levels up by defeating monsters. You can buy items you've stocked within the minigame in the main game.

There's also a group artwork. Since these drawings are pretty much only shown when we know all the party members or really important NPCs, I'm going to assume Graces will have 7 playable characters.

ymmv

Banned
The PS3 version of Tales of Vesperia sold over 140,000 copies in one day, almost as many copies as the 360 version sold in Japan in 2008.

--

Wow, the Wikipedia entry on Tales of Vesperia has already been updated.

Tales of Vesperia for the PlayStation 3 sold 147,000 copies on its opening day which is close to double that of the Xbox 360's version The xbox 360 sold 71,000 copies on its opening day and a total of 140,000 in two weeks. This is one of the best opening days for games in the Tales series as compared to the previous seven titles released in the past two years.

So how did the other versions sell in Japan?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
squall211 said:
Didn't Tales of the World: RM2 sell over 200k its first week?

2007年12月:DS「Tales of Innocence」76k
2008年06月:Wii「Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World」120k
2008年08月:Xbox360「Tales of Vesperia」71k
2008年12月:DS「Tales of Hearts」121k
2009年01月:PSP「Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2」135k
2009年08月:PSP「Tales of VS」89k
2009年09月:PS3「Tales of Vesperia」147k

First days.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kagari said:
2007年12月:DS「Tales of Innocence」76k
2008年06月:Wii「Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World」120k
2008年08月:Xbox360「Tales of Vesperia」71k
2008年12月:DS「Tales of Hearts」121k
2009年01月:PSP「Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology 2」135k
2009年08月:PSP「Tales of VS」89k
2009年09月:PS3「Tales of Vesperia」147k

First days.

Booyah! :D Wonder if we will see similar results when Star Ocean 4 international comes out.

Netto-kun

There's a 3.4 GB non-mandatory install for the PS3 Vesperia. No idea how the loading is if I didnt bother to use the install option.

Yazuka

Netto-kun said:
There's a 3.4 GB non-mandatory install for the PS3 Vesperia. No idea how the loading is if I didnt bother to use the install option.
How well does the game play without the install? I mean, do you feel like the loading times are long or anything?

Kagari said:
Perhaps Namco was waiting to see how well the port did in Japan.

That is what i am hoping. This game deserves localization, unlike drek like RM2 and ToVs.

Although, RM2 sold very well in japan, but did not get a port. Though since much of the work is done for ToV...

cnet128

Banned
Only those seven characters in Graces? I certainly hope that's not true. I mean, I'm obviously still hyped for the game regardless, but it seems a little lacking on the female side of the roster. It really needs a fourth female character to even things up, even if she's not the loli I'm still vainly hoping for.

Of course, what would be kind-of-awesome is if they act like that's the full roster, then pull a surprise character (or more!) on us when the game is actually released. It would make a change going into a Tales game without knowing the whole party in advance for once >_< That's probably an even vainer hope, though =p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
lorddarkflare said:
That is what i am hoping. This game deserves localization, unlike drek like RM2 and ToVs.

Although, RM2 sold very well in japan, but did not get a port. Though since much of the work is done for ToV...

They localized Eternal Sonata PS3... so apparently they thought that game deserved it, yet have been silent regarding ToV.

Even if they have already greenlit the localisation, they may be waiting to see how the early part of next year shakes up in terms of releases. A game like ToV needs a quiet release period to maximise its impact, and early next year is looking very crowded, both in terms of releases generally but also jRPGs specifically. SO4Int is confirmed for Feb, WKC is supposedly hitting sometime early on, and then of course there's the biggie of when FFXIII will drop. While a run of the genre like that is probably good for the overall profile, you wouldn't want releases being bunched up too much.

jeremy1456

Kagari said:
They localized Eternal Sonata PS3... so apparently they thought that game deserved it, yet have been silent regarding ToV.

I'll bet they're extremely excited about the prospect of bringing over more late ports of Xbox 360 RPGs after Eternal Sonata PS3 sold so amazingly.

:lol

Rpgmonkey

cnet128 said:
Only those seven characters in Graces? I certainly hope that's not true. I mean, I'm obviously still hyped for the game regardless, but it seems a little lacking on the female side of the roster. It really needs a fourth female character to even things up, even if she's not the loli I'm still vainly hoping for.

Well, it's not definite that there are only seven characters. Most of the games she does the artwork for don't have every character on the main drawing, after all.

Though recently it looks like Inomata's starting to end her trend of one-four characters on the main drawing, and is starting to follow in Fujishima's footsteps of cramming in every single party member, so maybe this is everyone. :p

Speaking of that, I like her recent change to more group art as the main drawings. But then again, I'm more of a fan of Inomata and think she's waaay better at these kinds of drawings than Fujishima, so eh.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jeremy1456 said:
I'll bet they're extremely excited about the prospect of bringing over more late ports of Xbox 360 RPGs after Eternal Sonata PS3 sold so amazingly.

:lol

More like, you don't want it to be localized, right? Because that's what it sounds like.

jeremy1456

Kagari said:
More like, you don't want it to be localized, right? Because that's what it sounds like.

I think it should be localized because it's my favorite RPG this generation, and the Tales series definitely needs more exposure in this part of the world.

What I thought was funny was your rationalization about games 'deserving' to be brought over.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
I'd like to take this time to again point out that all "Tales of" english localizations were announced between February-April. So early next year when (if?) Namco announces their next crop of Tales of localizations we should know the answer one way or another.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jeremy1456 said:
I think it should be localized because it's my favorite RPG this generation, and the Tales series definitely needs more exposure in this part of the world.

What I thought was funny was your rationalization about games 'deserving' to be brought over.

I'm positive ToV PS3, if brought to NA, would do better than Eternal Sonata PS3. The difference is, ToV was highly reviewed and regarded and is from an established series while Eternal Sonata was met with medicore reception and is a new IP.

jeremy1456

Kagari said:
I'm positive ToV PS3, if brought to NA, would do better than Eternal Sonata PS3. The difference is, ToV was highly reviewed and regarded and is from an established series while Eternal Sonata was met with medicore reception and is a new IP.

I think it would perform better too, but I would throw out the idea of Tales being established in the West - the fanbase is so tiny it almost doesn't count.

lupinko

Kagari said:

monsters-goldslime-1.jpg

grandjedi6

Kagari said:
Not that I want to get into this little quarrel you two are having but I should point out that Eternal Sonata was just as "highly reviewed" as Vesperia was.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/eternalsonata?q=eternal sonata
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/talesofvesperia?q=tales of vesperia

Awntawn

grandjedi6 said:
Not that I want to get into this little quarrel you two are having but I should point out that Eternal Sonata was just as "highly reviewed" as Vesperia was.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/eternalsonata?q=eternal sonata
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/talesofvesperia?q=tales of vesperia
I was one of the poor fuckers fooled by the massively inflated scores of an audience that was absolutely starved for something in the genre at the time. $60 that I'll never get back. Eternal Sonata was absolutely horrible, and enough people thought so that word of mouth had a much bigger impact than review scores.

Awntawn said:
I was one of the poor fuckers fooled by the massively inflated scores of an audience that was absolutely starved for something in the genre at the time. $60 that I'll never get back. Eternal Sonata was absolutely horrible, and enough people thought so that word of mouth had a much bigger impact than review scores.

Yeah no kidding. It is beyond me as to how anyone would think that PoS was a good game.

Firestorm

Kagari said:
Tales might as well be a new IP the way it's met here =/ I'd hope it could do 360 numbers, which is actually good enough I think. They have the localization done for the most part. 100k sales for little effort.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
grandjedi6 said:

Reviewers always underrate the Tales games. They always say things like "oh, well it's not Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy" or "it's just like every other Tales game". Stupid stuff like that.

Is there a possibility that the good sales of PS3 Tales of Vesperia in Japan
and the good sales of PS3 Slim
will make publishers want to bring it stateside ?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming. Come on ! Star Ocean il already on the way !

grandjedi6

JonStark said:
Is there a possibility that the good sales of PS3 Tales of Vesperia in Japan
and the good sales of PS3 Slim
will make publishers want to bring it stateside ?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming. Come on ! Star Ocean il already on the way !
You mean "publisher", not "publishers". Namco guards their franchises with an iron fist so if they don't publish it themselves its never coming. If there was any chance of them letting another publisher do it we would have seen so many Tales of games ages ago.

grandjedi6 said:
You mean "publisher", not "publishers". Namco guards their franchises with an iron fist so if they don't publish it themselves its never coming. If there was any chance of them letting another publisher do it we would have seen so many Tales of games ages ago.

Sorry, my bad. But I still hope Namco will make the right decision :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom