• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Graces (Wii) Tales of VS (PSP), Tales of Vesperia (PS3) JP sites open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VegaShinra

kiryogi said:
Just gotta post this for now :D

tovps3.png
English subs?

kiryogi

Banned
double post but just caught this. It has a reversible flap too! With all the minis on repede and no ugly special promo for versus on the cover:

tovps3back.png

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The only Tales game that I can think of that Namco allowed another publisher to bring out was the GBA port of Tales of Phantasia. Nintendo handled that one, IIRC. Nintendo too brought over their Baten Kaitos games. Or perhaps they only brought out the second...
I think Nintendo was also involved in Tales of Symphonia, but I'm not too sure about that.

Banpresto IPs (and Bandai's as well, I suppose) have certainly faired better. Atlus was allowed to handle a bunch of those.

wrowa

Mejilan said:
I think Nintendo was also involved in Tales of Symphonia, but I'm not too sure about that
NoE published Symphonia. The release of Phantasia was more or less a result of that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo also had some sort of financial deal involving the localization of ToS. It's part of the reason ToS has a pretty damn good voice cast, but then again it doesn't explain why the skits aren't voiced.

This is further backed up by the US publication of BKO. Done by Nintendo and with fantastic voice acting unlike the first game.

Anyways that's the reason Nintendo Power pimped the shit out of ToS and why it is the best selling US Tales game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
There's certainly precedent for it. I don't get why Namco won't allow some of the better localization teams out there a stab with Tales games they wind up passing up.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mejilan said:
There's certainly precedent for it. I don't get why Namco won't allow some of the better localization teams out there a stab with Tales games they wind up passing up.
Because Namco doesn't like to let other companies touch their existing IPs, neverless one they still actively lose? An original IP is one thing but publishers in general are very hesitant to loan out their existing IPs to competiting companies. If Namco lets another publisher publish the Tales of games they suddenly have to worry about how that publisher's localization will affect the market for Tales of games, how the game will affect the fanbase/market (imagine if somebody localised Tales of the Tempest), and the fact that Namco's Tales of games are not only competing with other RPGs but now other Tales of games themselves.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alex said:
Abyss and Vesperia have the same quality of localization, if not better, than Symphonia.

I'll give you Vesperia, but Abyss? No chance in hell.

Anyways, it had more to do with the constant advertising done by Nintendo who had a vested interest in seeing the project succeed because of their involvement with the localization. That's why ToS was successful. Well advertised on a platform hungry for some JRPG.

I'm more confused by Namco's strange decision making with the Tales series rather than why they don't let anyone else try their hand. I can understand the latter, but the former confounds me.

I mean, Legendia but no Innocence or Hearts? They even made a shitty CG version they could release here!

Man God said:
I'll give you Vesperia, but Abyss? No chance in hell.

You have no idea what you're talking about, apparently. The same exact team (8-4) localized both later Symphonia team Tales games under discussion and Baten Kaitos Origins. And the idea that Abyss has a "worse localization" than Symphonia is ludicrous.

Man God said:
Nintendo also had some sort of financial deal involving the localization of ToS. It's part of the reason ToS has a pretty damn good voice cast, but then again it doesn't explain why the skits aren't voiced.

This is further backed up by the US publication of BKO. Done by Nintendo and with fantastic voice acting unlike the first game.

Anyways that's the reason Nintendo Power pimped the shit out of ToS and why it is the best selling US Tales game.

Yep, NOA funded the English localisation of TOS. TOS PS2 was never released outside of Japan becuase Nintendo had the exclusive ownership rights to the localisation.

Sagitario

c20090911_tov_13_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

c20090911_tov_01_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

c20090911_tov_06_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

c20090911_tov_07_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

c20090911_tov_02_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

WOW! Those costumes look great! Chloe <3 :D ...

c20090911_tov_21_cs1w1_720x405.jpg

:lol

charlequin said:
You have no idea what you're talking about, apparently. The same exact team (8-4) localized both later Symphonia team Tales games under discussion and Baten Kaitos Origins. And the idea that Abyss has a "worse localization" than Symphonia is ludicrous.

Wasn't BKO localized by NOA's Treehouse?

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
It's awesome cause this remind me how thin Chloe's clothes are:D
Oh and how much I wish we would find out something about Sword of Legendia

Rpgmonkey

Looks like Famitsu has no date for Graces either. :p

I hope they at least give the opening song+singer at TGS. They've been acting kinda weird with this game. Someone threw off the usual Tales marketing schedule by announcing it so early. :lol

dragonlife29 said:
I thought Yuri was wearing a jockstrap on his face for a second :lol

I'm digging the new costumes, too.

:lol

Me too.

Not digging Yuri's disco-esque pants though(yeah I know it's what a past tales character wore but still).

Edit: Holy shit! In the wrong light Yuri's costume reminds me of Bayonetta. :lol

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Firestorm said:
Sword of Legendia is not a Tales game.

I didn't say it was. What I meant was, after seeing Chloe, I remembered the concept art that had a character that wore clothes similar to hers.

Firestorm

Surgeon Rocket said:
I didn't say it was. What I meant was, after seeing Chloe, I remembered the concept art that had a character that wore clothes similar to hers.
Ah ok, I just didn't want people thinking like I used to that it was related to Tales of Legendia.

Firestorm said:
Ah ok, I just didn't want people thinking like I used to that it was related to Tales of Legendia.

Nobody would want that anyway.
:p

Still, I do wonder what happened to the game.
Right around when ToV was coming out, they said it was still in development.

AceBandage said:
I do wonder what happened to the game.
Right around when ToV was coming out, they said it was still in development.
They spoke about it after Fragile came out too... so... 2009. (in a Fragile interview, actually)

In the beginning on 2009 at least, it was still in development; I guess it still is, it's been in development for too long to just scrap it.

Rpgmonkey said:

On the one hand, I hope it comes out this year, but then again there's a certain other behemoth RPG coming in December and, as great as it sounds on paper that I could be playing a new Final Fantasy and a new Tales very soon, I'd rather there was a couple of months between them :p

Rpgmonkey said:

I hope they at least give the opening song+singer at TGS. They've been acting kinda weird with this game. Someone threw off the usual Tales marketing schedule by announcing it so early. :lol

lol.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Datschge said:
Namco historically seems to be fine with launching a Tales game directly along a new main FF game though.

Was that not only with Abyss, and US? Correct me though, as I didn't follow the series heavily then.

Nevermind Graces for a moment- I'm sure it'll come to the US and Europe eventually, but what about the portable stuff?

What I've always wondered is why we never seem to get any of the portable Tales games. If anything, those should be the easier ones to bring over and also have access to a wider audience than the consoles at this point.

Come to think of it, what was the last portable game that Namco released anyways? They really don't bother localizing the majority of the games they produce.

We've seen one PSP game out of how many portables ones at this point... seven or eight at least if you can't remakes/ updates on the current portables?

I keep hoping that with the way XSeed seems to slowly be building up something of a relationship with Namco with them doing Game Center, Sky Cralwers and Fragile, maybe there's some way we'll see localizations of some of their other games.

A co-production of some sort maybe?

Still need to pick up VS too...

Rpgmonkey

IlliterateBookworm said:
Nevermind Graces for a moment- I'm sure it'll come to the US and Europe eventually, but what about the portable stuff?

What I've always wondered is why we never seem to get any of the portable Tales games. If anything, those should be the easier ones to bring over and also have access to a wider audience than the consoles at this point.

Come to think of it, what was the last portable game that Namco released anyways? They really don't bother localizing the majority of the games they produce.

We've seen one PSP game out of how many portables ones at this point... seven or eight at least if you can't remakes/ updates on the current portables?

I keep hoping that with the way XSeed seems to slowly be building up something of a relationship with Namco with them doing Game Center, Sky Cralwers and Fragile, maybe there's some way we'll see localizations of some of their other games.

A co-production of some sort maybe?

Still need to pick up VS too...

My guess on the handheld Tales games:

-We didn't get nearly enough Tales games and the fanbase wasn't large enough to justify localizing the Narikiri Dungeon or other spinoff games.

-Tempest wasn't worth it and already did enough damage to the reputation of Tales games on the DS in Japan. Pass.

-By time Innocence was out, they were surely already working/planning on localizing Vesperia and Symphonia Wii. Of course, those two were probably expensive enough for Tales, so they passed on Innocence.

-Hearts was limited by the cartridge. I think the 2Gb cartridges are still pretty uncommon and expensive? Gonna assume that the risk of having to charge a premium (Namco tax? :lol) for it was a bigger obstacle for Hearts than voicing/translating it and it being 2D. Though they could probably just remove the voices (or at least remove them from story scenes and skits, but leave them in for battles) and use a smaller cart I guess, so maybe Hearts was never made with the intent of being localized in the first place. :p

I think the DS Tales games are just the victims of unfortunate circumstances for the most part. Gonna wait on RM2 and VS to see what happens to them, but if VS comes over and they pass on RM2, I'm just going to assume they favored VS over RM2. If neither come over, I'll just assume they don't think the PSP market is worth it here.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Judas from Tales of Destiny 2.

Man, seeing Flynn's Cress costume really makes me want a Phantasia remake in the style of Vesperia.
OT but:

Hitlersaurus Christ
hitlersaurus-christ.png

I love this. :lol

Datschge

Photos of ToG from the TGS are appearing. Like this one:

2db0ax3.jpg

Usual "Team Destiny" style full body skit style, guess we can take that as yet another hint for which "team" is developing this game.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Rpgmonkey said:
My guess on the handheld Tales games:

-We didn't get nearly enough Tales games and the fanbase wasn't large enough to justify localizing the Narikiri Dungeon or other spinoff games.

-Tempest wasn't worth it and already did enough damage to the reputation of Tales games on the DS in Japan. Pass.

-By time Innocence was out, they were surely already working/planning on localizing Vesperia and Symphonia Wii. Of course, those two were probably expensive enough for Tales, so they passed on Innocence.

-Hearts was limited by the cartridge. I think the 2Gb cartridges are still pretty uncommon and expensive? Gonna assume that the risk of having to charge a premium (Namco tax? :lol) for it was a bigger obstacle for Hearts than voicing/translating it and it being 2D. Though they could probably just remove the voices (or at least remove them from story scenes and skits, but leave them in for battles) and use a smaller cart I guess, so maybe Hearts was never made with the intent of being localized in the first place. :p

I think the DS Tales games are just the victims of unfortunate circumstances for the most part. Gonna wait on RM2 and VS to see what happens to them, but if VS comes over and they pass on RM2, I'm just going to assume they favored VS over RM2. If neither come over, I'll just assume they don't think the PSP market is worth it here.

Don't forget that DS games are typically seen as low risk-low profit games, which makes publishers give them only a passing glance. And since Namco is very selective about which Tales of games they bring over it makes sense why they would continually skip over the DS games with the forementioned view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom