• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts delayed, goes head to head against Dissidia!

Shouta

Slaughtered or perhaps cause such a sales implosion that all of Japan turns into America and goes for Xboxs.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
You would think that they are different enough games on different enough platforms to avoid any horrible problems though

duckroll

grandjedi6 said:
You would think that they are different enough games on different enough platforms to avoid any horrible problems though

Previously it had a chance of topping the sales chart for the week. Now that'll never happen!

grandjedi6

duckroll said:
Previously it had a chance of topping the sales chart for the week. Now that'll never happen!
Unless.....

ou9lhl.gif

farnham

Banned
Dissidia is not a FF game but more like Smashbros, Powerstone or Castlevania Judgement

I dont see how Dissidia is going to hurt sales of an Animu RPG

if it was FF7 CC or something it would be different though

farnham said:
Dissidia is not a FF game but more like Smashbros, Powerstone or Castlevania Judgement

I dont see how Dissidia is going to hurt sales of an Animu RPG

if it was FF7 CC or something it would be different though
Big releases can affect other big releases if they come out on the same day, whether or not they're in the same genre. People only have so much money to toss around.

Well, its not like Gundam Musou 2, Fate Unlimited Codes, Suikoden DS, Pawapuro Pocket 11 DS, Momotaro Densetsu DS, Harvest Moon DS, Ragnarok Online DS and such are also released that day too.

Oh wait.

farnham

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Big releases can affect other big releases if they come out on the same day, whether or not they're in the same genre. People only have so much money to toss around.
well yes that is true

and the Tales series is kind of in a downwards spiral nowadays as well..

Rpgmonkey

Ruined next month. :(

*Pushes Dissidia purchase back a week*

Hopefully it does okay. Would be a shame if it flops or doesn't beat out Tempest and Innocence. The CG version will just fall further into obscurity that week though. :p

duckroll

I'm using this thread since there isn't any other info thread for this game and it's not huge news. There's an official blog for the game on the site now, and the most recent post said that the game will have over 80 hours of play time. The main story itself is supposed to be 45 hours long, and there'll be tons of optional side events and stuff. The game's been in development for about 2 years and the concept from the start was to create a RPG on the DS that has as much content as a console title, and be a real Tales mothership title.

I hope they're not lying because I ordered the game. 6680yen makes it pretty much the most expensive DS game ever. If this game sucks, I'm going to hate Tales for another few years. I hope it doesn't! :(

DogWelder

duckroll said:
I'm using this thread since there isn't any other info thread for this game and it's not huge news. There's an official blog for the game on the site now, and the most recent post said that the game will have over 80 hours of play time. The main story itself is supposed to be 45 hours long, and there'll be tons of optional side events and stuff. The game's been in development for about 2 years and the concept from the start was to create a RPG on the DS that has as much content as a console title, and be a real Tales mothership title.

I hope they're not lying because I ordered the game. 6680yen makes it pretty much the most expensive DS game ever. If this game sucks, I'm going to hate Tales for another few years. I hope it doesn't! :(

Which one??

Troidal

I do respect the team for throwing two versions with different styles for the cutscenes, trying to appeal to two different groups. But in Japan-land, I think the results will be very obvious...

Is this announced for the US? I'm curious if they are releasing both, and if so, I wonder which would appeal to the audience.

/market research

grandjedi6

Troidal said:
I do respect the team for throwing two versions with different styles for the cutscenes, trying to appeal to two different groups. But in Japan-land, I think the results will be very obvious...

Is this announced for the US? I'm curious if they are releasing both, and if so, I wonder which would appeal to the audience.

/market research
Handheld Tales of games don't come over. Team Destiny (or at least Team Destiny like) games don't come over. 2D Tales of games don't come over.

So no.

My biggest fear is that the CG version will slightly outsell the animated one and Namco will take this as clear and obvious sign that no one wants animated Tales cutscenes.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ShockingAlberto said:
My biggest fear is that the CG version will slightly outsell the animated one and Namco will take this as clear and obvious sign that no one wants animated Tales cutscenes.
:lol

That will never happen. Thank God.

DogWelder

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's not even the smallest chance in hell duckroll would get the CG one. You see, he has functioning eyeballs.

Man, I didn't believe you for a second so I went and watched the CG trailer... that's some horrific character design.

AniHawk

grandjedi6 said:
Handheld Tales of games don't come over. Team Destiny (or at least Team Destiny like) games don't come over. 2D Tales of games don't come over.

mij3ib.jpg
35akbbk.jpg

WHAT NOW, SPACE MAN

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's not even the smallest chance in hell duckroll would get the CG one. You see, he has functioning eyeballs.

Yeah, I think only blind people and fans that collect every single SKU will get the CG Edition. I actually have to give credit to the CG team for having some pretty impressive visual direction in the actual scenes, unfortunately the actual CG designs are so bad it renders it pointless. It's really weird that they chose to stick with the weird anime look even with realistic 3D models. The SO4 screens are giving me a similar feel actually, although it's better with most characters.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
grandjedi6 said:

So no.

the only tales games that don't come over are the ones with artwork illustrated by Inomata.

Tempest (which didn't come over merely because it sucked crocodile excrement, i'm just using it to prove a point) and Innocence were both not Team Destiny games, but they had Inomata artwork. i think Scamco USA might think Inomata is too "girly" or something (hell if i know honestly).

Rpgmonkey

duckroll said:

I'm going to trust them (again?) this time, only because I trust Tales Studio a lot more when it comes to making mothership titles, and it seems like they really tried to put a lot of effort into making this as serious a project as the console mothership games.

Seems like a (much) higher budget game than Tempest and Innocence, now to just wait and hope this isn't a waste...

Mr.Wuggles said:
the only tales games that don't come over are the ones with artwork illustrated by Inomata.

Tempest (which didn't come over merely because it sucked crocodile excrement, but i'm just using it to prove a point) and Innocence were both not Team Destiny games, but they had Inomata artwork. i think Scamco USA might think Inomata is too "girly" or something (hell if i know honestly).

I noticed that too, even if it is just a coincidence. :lol

john tv

So who's going to make the official thread? Any volunteers? (Don't volunteer if you can't make one that's at least as good as the Vesperia one was. :p)

Rpgmonkey

john tv said:
So who's going to make the official thread? Any volunteers? (Don't volunteer if you can't make one that's at least as good as the Vesperia one was. :p)

I want to try making an official thread, so I'll volunteer to do it. :)

Something like Vesperia's doesn't seem too hard to pull off.

Firestorm

I cut people who buy the CG one. With a knife.

john tv said:
Does that mean my thread was bad? :(

duckroll

Kyoufu said:
Dissidia is going to be huuuuuge.

Here are the games of note releasing in Japan on 18th Dec, anyone want to take a short at predicting the top 10 for that week?

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
Tales of Hearts Animation Edition (DS)
Tales of Hearts CG Movie Edition (DS)
Gundam Musou 2 (PS3/360/PS2)
Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (DS)
Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
Let's Tap (Wii)
Bleach Versus Crusade (Wii)
Fate/Unlimited Codes (PS2)
Ragnarok Online (DS)
DDR Furu Furu Party (Wii)
Beatmania IIDX 15 DJ Troopers (PS2)
Sonic World Adventure (Wii)

Rpgmonkey said:
I want to try making an official thread, so I'll volunteer to do it. :)

Something like Vesperia's doesn't seem too hard to pull off.

Cool, it's all yours. I'm doing the Dissidia thread, so I don't want to be selfish and take this one too.

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
Here are the games of note releasing in Japan on 18th Dec, anyone want to take a short at predicting the top 10 for that week?

Yikes...didn't realise 18th was so convoluted with releases. Dissidia will hit 450k first week surely. It has 20 years of fanservice plus Adhoc multiplayer. Recipe for success. Don't care for any of the other releases much, but I hope Lets Tap hits the top 10 and has some decent legs.

duckroll

Link1110 said:
And Nomura characters look like Conan the Manly?

He's talking about the artwork itself, not the designs. Nomura's art is definitely to the tastes of boys. Thick line art, very defined characters, etc. Inomata's artwork is like stuff you find in girl comics in Japan. Lots of wavey strokes and very undefined characters - like in a watercolor painting.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The rest of December is Gundam Musou, Dissidia and Shirokishi for me. FUCK tales.

(except vesperia...I'm thinking about getting that still)

duckroll

You know, considering how ToH has assists attacks from various "Bandai Namco Games" characters, I wonder if KOS-MOS will make a showing. So far they've revealed Lloyd from ToS, Jade from TotA, Judas from ToD2 and Yayoi Takatsuki from Idolmaster. I also realized that this will be the first time we're seeing Lloyd and Jade in 2D.... ever! :eek:

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
duckroll said:
He's talking about the artwork itself, not the designs. Nomura's art is definitely to the tastes of boys. Thick line art, very defined characters, etc. Inomata's artwork is like stuff you find in girl comics in Japan. Lots of wavey strokes and very undefined characters - like in a watercolor painting.

exactly, also the skinny characters and massive eyes that she puts on them make most of her artwork look like something i'd see in a shojo manga.

duckroll said:
You know, considering how ToH has assists attacks from various "Bandai Namco Games" characters, I wonder if KOS-MOS will make a showing. So far they've revealed Lloyd from ToS, Jade from TotA, Judas from ToD2 and Yayoi Takatsuki from Idolmaster. I also realized that this will be the first time we're seeing Lloyd and Jade in 2D.... ever! :eek:

Isn't Lloyd in one of those GBA Tales games?

Top Bottom