• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Hearts delayed, goes head to head against Dissidia!

Rpgmonkey

When Watch-Impress was covering some event where they showed off more of the game, they said Yuri was in too. :)

Yayoi's the only non-Tales person I've heard of so far, but I'd honestly be surprised if other Namco people like KOS-MOS didn't get in. Interesting way to throw in cameos.

Mr.Wuggles

Neo Member
i too hope they throw in some more abyss characters and vesperia characters

i think it'd be cool to have some tekken & soul calibur characters in too

a katamari assist cameo would be awesome :lol

duckroll

Rpgmonkey said:
When Watch-Impress was covering some event where they showed off more of the game, they said Yuri was in too. :)

Yayoi's the only non-Tales person I've heard of so far, but I'd honestly be surprised if other Namco people like KOS-MOS didn't get in. Interesting way to throw in cameos.

Really? All I can find this is one: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/20081121/toh.htm

And it doesn't say anything about Yuri. You think you could find that article? ^^;

duckroll said:
Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
Tales of Hearts Animation Edition (DS)
Tales of Hearts CG Movie Edition (DS)
Gundam Musou 2 (PS3/360/PS2)

I don't really have any stats to back this up just pure guesses.

1. Dissidia (PSP)
2. Gundam (PS3) - I know that's a bold prediction.
3. ToH Anime (NDS)
4. Gundam (PS2)
5. ToH CG (NDS)

Given the number of releases I think the 360 version of GM2 could miss the top 10 all together. Also I think 2/3 may switch, and 4/5 may switch. The rest I have no idea. I wouldn't even want to hazard a guess at Let's Tap, I'm leaning towards bomba, but Wii hits and misses seems to almost be completely arbitrary.

duckroll said:
Cool, it's all yours. I'm doing the Dissidia thread, so I don't want to be selfish and take this one too.

Nice.

Pachael

duckroll said:
Here are the games of note releasing in Japan on 18th Dec, anyone want to take a short at predicting the top 10 for that week?

Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
Tales of Hearts Animation Edition (DS)
Tales of Hearts CG Movie Edition (DS)
Gundam Musou 2 (PS3/360/PS2)
Power Pro Kun Pocket 11 (DS)
Suikoden Tierkreis (DS)
Let's Tap (Wii)
Bleach Versus Crusade (Wii)
Fate/Unlimited Codes (PS2)
Ragnarok Online (DS)
DDR Furu Furu Party (Wii)
Beatmania IIDX 15 DJ Troopers (PS2)
Sonic World Adventure (Wii)

Cool, it's all yours. I'm doing the Dissidia thread, so I don't want to be selfish and take this one too.

After looking at that, I'm fairly sure Let's Tap is going to sink. Way to go Sega on release date scheduling *again*. Let's not mention it's up against Sonic Unleashed (ahem) or Bleach on the same platform.

duckroll

Pachael said:
After looking at that, I'm fairly sure Let's Tap is going to sink. Way to go Sega on release date scheduling *again*. Let's not mention it's up against Sonic Unleashed (ahem) or Bleach on the same platform.

I think it might do much better than you expect. Bleach is actually in danger here, since the Wii is a pretty spotty platform for licensed titles for some reason, and it'll actually be competing with Fate/Unlimited Codes and Gundam Musou 2 directly. 3 anime titles in a single week is a lot, and Gundam Musou 2 will definitely be getting the lion's share of those sales. What's left over will be the fans that still have money to buy a second or third game. Don't forget, a good portion of those fans will also probably be picking up Dissidia and/or Tales of Hearts as well, being big brand titles that have an audience that crosses over frequently with anime/manga license fans. On the other hand, Let's Tap is going for a totally different audience, and will be less affected by all this nonsense.

Stage On

I'm going to be pretty pissed if they finally decide to bring this over to North america and yet we only get the stupid ass CG version. Tales is all about being animeish damnit!!!

Firestorm

Would anyone actually pick up the CG version of ToH over anime unless the anime version is sold out? Do we know how many of each stores ordered?

jesusraz

Don't want to bother making a full thread for this, but does anyone have any Tales of Hearts questions they want answering? I've got an email-based interview lined up and will be submitting the Qs in the next couple of days. Would be good if Tales fans chipped in... :)

Mrbob

Someone explain to me the difference between Tales Animation and Tales CG edition? Does this mean all the animated cutscenes are CG in the CG edition? I'm guessing this one will cost more.

Firestorm

Mrbob said:
Someone explain to me the difference between Tales Animation and Tales CG edition? Does this mean all the animated cutscenes are CG in the CG edition? I'm guessing this one will cost more.
Yes. All the animated cutscenes are replaced with freaky ass CG models.

tales_of_hearts_1-300x234.jpg

Creepier in motion.

Mrbob

Eww, I would feel a disconnect if I were playing the CG edition. Animated edition seems to be the way to go.

duckroll

jesusraz said:
Don't want to bother making a full thread for this, but does anyone have any Tales of Hearts questions they want answering? I've got an email-based interview lined up and will be submitting the Qs in the next couple of days. Would be good if Tales fans chipped in... :)

What? An english interview? Does that confirm the game is hitting the US? :eek:

Firestorm

jesusraz said:
"What in god's name made you go with a CG version of Tales of Hearts?" - you might want to phrase it nicer.
"What type of support would it take for Namco to seriously consider localizing 2D Tales games like Destiny Remake: Director's Cut (PS2), Destiny II (PSP), Rebirth (PSP), and Hearts (DS)?"

JaMarco

jesusraz said:
Ask the chances of this game coming to US.
:(

jesusraz

duckroll said:
Sadly no, since I also did one for Tales of Innocence :-( But I suppose the difference this time is that rather than BanNam Japan sorting out the interview it's actually NamBan's EU office...so maybe a positive sign after all?

Anyway, chuck any Qs in that spring to mind and I'll be sure to add them into the mix!

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
They had an interview for Innocence as well, I wish though.

Edit: Since I was beaten I guess I should ask a question too... how about "Why does Shing's overworld sprite look so weird while he's walking?" :lol

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
jeremy1456 said:
My prediction:

TOH: 270k

FFD: 600k

Let's Tap: 18k

Suikoden Tierkries: 190k

EDIT: First week sales.
Suikoden 5 LTD is around 190k actually. So you are saying a spinoff that takes place in a completely different world is going to do in its first week what Suikoden 5 did in its lifetime? It'll be lucky if it even reaches 100k.

jesusraz said:

The Tales of series needs a shake up or a revisit at its foundation because the series is arriving at it's third handheld installment after two similar titles before (Tempest and Innocence were similar at the core.)

My question is (quoted):

"What are the game-play innovations of Tales of Hearts? Does the game seperate itself from past installments and create a unique identity for itself?"

With that being asked, I'll be importing the game for Christmas this year. I expect the developers of the Tales of Destiny port and the several transtioned Team Symphonia/Abyss members will forge the best Tales of the Year with Tales of Hearts. :)

Edit: I want ask more.

"Motoi Sakuraba composes more music than any other composer of recent day that I know. At TGS 2008, Sakuraba-san was announced (via trailer) to be the sole composer for Tales of Hearts. Are you ever worried he'd start running out of ideas and producing less stand out songs?"

"How many game designers worked on Tales of Hearts? Was the story fleshed out before, during, or after the game concept or design documents were complete?"

"How long was music production? When does Sakuraba-san get involved and when does he exit? Do you think music interactivity with game-play can ehance the game atmosphere and overall experience?"

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
What I've been wondering about for a while now is how interested Japan is in Dissidia? I've been on a media-blackout about it and have no idea if it's shaping up to be good, not good, good enough to milk the FF brand.

Like how much will it sell in its first week? (speculate of course)

duckroll

jesusraz said:
Sadly no, since I also did one for Tales of Innocence :-( But I suppose the difference this time is that rather than BanNam Japan sorting out the interview it's actually NamBan's EU office...so maybe a positive sign after all?

Anyway, chuck any Qs in that spring to mind and I'll be sure to add them into the mix!

Kinda hard to come up with good questions since I haven't played the game yet, so here are some general ones:

- The ToH blog indicates that the game has been in development for over 2 years. The original development concept was "a console level game's content" on a portable device, and it was mentioned that this concept seemed too idealistic during development but the team fought hard and stuck to it, coming out successful at the end. Can you give some examples of things that were thought to be impossible at first on DS hardware, but were eventually overcome?

- Tales games have been known to have strong story and character driven RPGs with lots of voiced events and many unique dungeons and fields. It appears that for the first two entries of Tales on the DS, these elements were not as focused as they usually are in the series, how was this approached differently for Tales of Hearts, and did the development team look at the two other games developed by outside studios while working on ToH over the long development time? Were there decisions or changes that were made to the game during development based on how fans reacted to the previous two games?

- Usually in Tales games, weapons are found or bought in the game as the player progresses like in any other RPG, but in Tales of Hearts there is a Soma Evolution system where the weapons of each character upgrades to several different possible types instead. What influenced this change in design, and what impact does it have on the overall gameplay in the game?

- Even though Tales of Hearts is on a 2gbit card which is the biggest on the DS, it's still much smaller in size than a Tales game would normally be. Was there any content that had to be cut to fit the game onto the card? How much voice is there in total within the game this time?

- Part of the appeal of the Tales series is the huge amount of optional content towards the end of the game - there are usually costumes that can be unlocked, sidestories for the playable characters, hidden characters, optional dungeons, and various other secrets. Could you share some of such content that fans could look forward to in Tales of Hearts?

Okay, some of the questions are really long, but I hope you find them interesting enough to help in your interview. ^^;

duckroll

Jinfash said:
What I've been wondering about for a while now is how interested Japan is in Dissidia? I've been on a media-blackout about it and have no idea if it's shaping up to be good, not good, good enough to milk the FF brand.

Like how much will it sell in its first week? (speculate of course)

I hear S-E is going to ship about 500k as an initial shipment, and the bundles are completely preordered and sold out. Their forecast is 600k within 2008, and about a million shipped before the end of the fiscal year at the end of March 09.

The hype in Japan within the FF fanbase is pretty intense, and the game has been getting tons of magazine coverage. Stores started putting up the standees and promo videos for the game a few weeks ago, and Suntory is doing a big Potion promotion as well with ads and even pastering the character profiles all over pillars in the Shibuya train station to create "giant" looking potion cans. Cloud message (a stupid fanbook covering various Nomura games) will be out next Friday, and :Replay (another stupid fanbook covering the same shit but this time with a DVD containing a bunch of trailers) will be out next Saturday. They should keep fans excited until Game Center CX has a special program on the 15th with 5 mins of exclusive Dissidia footage and a "surprise" at the end of it. The game streets on the 18th.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
duckroll said:
I hear S-E is going to ship about 500k as an initial shipment, and the bundles are completely preordered and sold out. Their forecast is 600k within 2008, and about a million shipped before the end of the fiscal year at the end of March 09.

The hype in Japan within the FF fanbase is pretty intense, and the game has been getting tons of magazine coverage. Stores started putting up the standees and promo videos for the game a few weeks ago, and Suntory is doing a big Potion promotion as well with ads and even pastering the character profiles all over pillars in the Shibuya train station to create "giant" looking potion cans. Cloud message (a stupid fanbook covering various Nomura games) will be out next Friday, and :Replay (another stupid fanbook covering the same shit but this time with a DVD containing a bunch of trailers) will be out next Saturday. They should keep fans excited until Game Center CX has a special program on the 15th with 5 mins of exclusive Dissidia footage and a "surprise" at the end of it. The game streets on the 18th.

Holy shit! that's a lot of pimpage!!

jesusraz

duckroll said:
Okay, some of the questions are really long, but I hope you find them interesting enough to help in your interview. ^^;
I can edit to make them as concise as possible, but those are great - just the sort of thing I'm looking for. Always helps to have input from long-term fans of the series and those that check out blogs, so thanks! :)

Datschge

Couple more questions, badly worded basic stuff really.

- Recently NBGI started including credits in trailers (which I applaud). The ones for ToH shows that previously supporting graphic and battle designers of "Team Destiny" took a leading role this time.
a) Can we expect the other leads of "Team Destiny" to work on another game (like the announced Wii one) at the moment?
b) How did the designers handle the qualities of the DS? How were sprites designed with the DS' screen size in mind? How were the battle flow and controls designed with the DS' buttons and touch screen in mind?

- ToH is a new entry in Tales line of classic 2D battle systems. Starting with the release of ToA the line of 3D battle systems seems to get more attention in the Tales series (including spin offs), especially internationally. Considering this, what place does the 2D approach to battles have in the Tales series in the future?

- ToH is the first game by Tales Studio for a handheld system that is not a port. Considering the exceptional success of handheld systems (especially in Japan) can we expect more original handheld Tales games by Tales Studio in the future (be it for DS, PSP or any potential successor)?

- Do you plan any support for the new DSi Ware platform?

- ToH's battle system so far sounds like a mix of ToR's and ToDr's battle systems. Is that a coincidence, or is it planned as a conscious evolution of both systems?

jesusraz

Datschge said:
- Do you plan any support for the new DSi Ware platform?
They've previously told me WiiWare is being considered for the Tales series, but it will only happen if fans demand it...Seems to be a standard response from many devs in my recent interviews! :-/

duckroll

Datschge said:
- ToH's battle system so far sounds like a mix of ToR's and ToDr's battle systems. Is that a coincidence, or is it planned as a conscious evolution of both systems?

That question is actually answered in the official blog. I would like a more detailed response too, but basically on the blog when they talked about the "birth" of the development of ToH, they said that aside from being a "console level game in content" they also wanted to "bring ToDr onto the DS platform" using ToH. Maybe the can clarifiy what that really means. :)

jesusraz

duckroll said:
...they also wanted to "bring ToDr onto the DS platform" using ToH...
Now that is very interesting. I might ask something along the lines of if they were pleased with ToDr's sales, or whether they'd consider sticking it on DS in some form at a later stage...

duckroll

jesusraz said:
Now that is very interesting. I might ask something along the lines of if they were pleased with ToDr's sales, or whether they'd consider sticking it on DS in some form at a later stage...

It's worded such that I believe they're saying that ToH is a way of transplanting a ToDr-level experience onto the DS. But for it to be a so specific does indicate that ToDr in particular is rather important to the team. It'll be interesting to see if they'll be interested in a port-down if ToH sells well. After all, ToP GBA did get made!

jesusraz

duckroll said:
I didn't know Namco was an either/or company. Last I checked, ToP is on SFC/PS1/GBA/PSP. :p
Exactly - if they think the money can be made, it'll get done somehow! BanNam's projection for ToH is 400,000 and if the game gets near to that total, the sky's the limit. I wouldn't totally surprised to see Tales of the World eventually move back into Nintendo territory at some point this generation.

Datschge

duckroll said:
That question is actually answered in the official blog. I would like a more detailed response too, but basically on the blog when they talked about the "birth" of the development of ToH, they said that aside from being a "console level game in content" they also wanted to "bring ToDr onto the DS platform" using ToH. Maybe the can clarifiy what that really means. :)
That ToH in general is about bringing the ToDr experience to the DS seems pretty obvious so far (2D battle system, graphic engine being 2D sprites on 3D backgrounds).

My question was specifically about the battle system. There the most interesting part so far is that it's not described as an extended carbon copy of ToDr's flashy system (which is pretty un-strategic and as such very accessible in its basic form and only starts to really shine as a design in higher difficulty levels), but with "Emotional Gauge" more leaning to the strategic defense/offense balancing system of ToR's "Rush Gauge".

duckroll

jesusraz said:
Exactly - if they think the money can be made, it'll get done somehow! BanNam's projection for ToH is 400,000 and if the game gets near to that total, the sky's the limit. I wouldn't totally surprised to see Tales of the World eventually move back into Nintendo territory at some point this generation.

They're expecting ToH to sell double what the Wii game did, when the DS has had a history of 2 underperforming Tales? Namco! :lol

Syril

duckroll said:
- Usually in Tales games, weapons are found or bought in the game as the player progresses like in any other RPG, but in Tales of Hearts there is a Soma Evolution system where the weapons of each character upgrades to several different possible types instead. What influenced this change in design, and what impact does it have on the overall gameplay in the game?

That sounds like it was taken from the upgrade system the the Tales of Destiny remake, where you could use lenses to upgrade your equipment along branching paths.

duckroll

Syril said:
That sounds like it was taken from the upgrade system the the Tales of Destiny remake, where you could use lenses to upgrade your equipment along branching paths.

That's interesting. I guess in a way the Soma weapons ARE like Swordians, in the sense that unlike other Tales equipment, they're bound to their users and are a unique weapon on their own.

Rpgmonkey

Kyoufu said:
How many Tales games were released in 2008? I've totally lost track.

-Tales of Destiny: Director's Cut
-Tales of Rebirth (PSP)
-Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
-Tales of Vesperia*
-Tales of Hearts*

*=Mothership title

At least they still keep each year down to two mothership games only...

jeremy1456

Error said:
Suikoden 5 LTD is around 190k actually. So you are saying a spinoff that takes place in a completely different world is going to do in its first week what Suikoden 5 did in its lifetime? It'll be lucky if it even reaches 100k.

I didn't know that Suikoden V sold so little.

Subtract a good 100k from my prediction, in that case. Despite the general consensus I seriously doubt sales are going to be affected in a big way simply because the game takes place in a different world.

I mean seriously.

Top Bottom