• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Aeana

The thing I'm worried about with Tempest R is that they'll kill the one singularly interesting thing about the game - the three line battle system. And I know they'll do it, too, after what they did to Hearts R.

FSLink

Banned
........................../=

This game sounds like graces without the awesome battle system.....which was graces only strong point.

I think i'll support Tales of in America when they release the HD tos1/2 ports.

The battle system is like a mix of Vesperia/Graces, so it's actually still pretty fun. Has a better story/soundtrack/characters than Graces too.

Flamfas

The thing I'm worried about with Tempest R is that they'll kill the one singularly interesting thing about the game - the three line battle system. And I know they'll do it, too, after what they did to Hearts R.

Except it was a low quality bastardized version of Rebirth's. Even when Tempest R gets a new LMBS, Rebirth will always have it's awesome (and my personal favorite) LMBS

FSLink

Banned
Except it was a low quality bastardized version of Rebirth's. Even when Tempest R gets a new LMBS, Rebirth will always have it's awesome (and my personal favorite) LMBS

Well yeah, but in an ideal world, it'd play like Rebirth with some improvements (do something interesting with Caius' beast mode maybe?)

Karma is a pretty awesome song.

Still one of my favorite Tales of OPs.

Kasumin

Oh wow, I didn't realize there wasn't a Tales community thread before. Consider me subbed!

Also, looking at the OT made me realize how the series pretty much exploded in the PS2 era, wow.

I actually didn't know anything about the series until 2005 when a friend of mine randomly bugged me to play Tales of Symphonia, claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread. I was mostly free that summer, so I hopped in the car, went to Best Buy and bought it. Then borrowed a Game Cube from a friend on the way back. Little did I know what I was in for...

Eight years later I own more than half of the main series in English and/or Japanese and have been playing every game I can get my hands on. Imported ToV PS3 recently. Also imported ToX2 because it was 50% off on CDJapan inexplicably. Need to steel myself for these, though. Playing Rebirth and Destiny remake completely in Japanese burned me out...

does it have a traditional worldmap? I don't mind point and clicks, prefer standard maps, hate the kind of overworld ToG had.

Are the dungeons puzzle heavy? are they lengthy? another thing I disliked about graces was that the puzzles were designed for 3 year olds and most dungeons lasted 10-20 minutes.

Similar to Graces expect the field maps are so much larger than Graces. So annoying large at times.

Dungeons are fairly easy to get through. No silly hard puzzles but they are pretty long though.

TEJ

The battle system is like a mix of Vesperia/Graces, so it's actually still pretty fun. Has a better story/soundtrack/characters than Graces too.

dungeons and overworld design are very important to me.

I was hoping that after vesperia we'd get more beautifully crafted overworlds frtom this franchise but graces tried to be in the middle but came off as halfassed. I'd rather they put in minimal effort {point and click} or do something like dragon quest 8/vesperia.

the dungeons in vesperia weren't puzzle heavy but they felt meaty and satisfying.

........I still think that as an overall package vesperia is the best tales of game released in america. I'd love to play rebirth in English but as if that will ever happen.

FSLink

Banned
........I still think that as an overall package vesperia is the best tales of game released in america. I'd love to play rebirth in English but as if that will ever happen.

I have to agree with that. Even with the Japanese releases, out of the modern Tales, Vesperia is the best Tales overall when we're taking in account every aspect. It also has a great amount of bonus content (like costumes) without having to resort to moneyhatting DLC. It would be perfect if the 3rd act isn't so...Tales tropey.

Every time I started up ToA, I always watched the intro. Something about it really caught my interest. Easily my favorite Tales of opening.

Yup. I do also enjoy that the lyrics summarize the plot too.

TEJ

Before I make my final decision on preordering xillia or not tomorrow, what is the main dude like? I pretty much despise almost all tales of leads for various reasons except for Yuri because he's awesome.

Lloyd was dumb and preachy, asbel was boring, luke was a jackass turned spineless, whatshisface from tos 2 was a wuss, and I can't remember much about arche.

FSLink

Banned
Before I make my final decision on preordering xillia or not tomorrow, what is the main dude like? I pretty much despise almost all tales of leads for various reasons except for Yuri because he's awesome.

Lloyd was dumb and preachy, asbel was boring, luke was a jackass turned spineless, whatshisface from tos 2 was a wuss, and I can't remember much about arche.

You can start the game as Milla or Jude. Well, most people don't like Jude due to an event...:lol But I thought hte was all right. Yuri is still the best protagonist by a long shot.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
He's completely broken in terms of game mechanics and speed, and you can solo the entire game with him. Er. I'll let someone handle the personality question because I've said my piece on that subject countless times. Edit: Thanks FSLink~

You'd like Milla better. You can pick between the two at the beginning to play as, though it's preferable to play as Jude first since he sees every meaningful event in certain portions of the game.

TEJ

You can start the game as Milla or Jude. Well, most people don't like Jude due to an event...:lol

it can't be as bad as
luke comitting genocide and getting away with it cause he's a noble who's marrying the princess
can it?

Favorite characters every game I've played

Phantasia: Claus/Klarth
Destiny: Chelsea (criminally underused in the PSX version :[ )
Symphonia: Kratos
Legendia: Chloe
Abyss: Anise
Innocence: Ricardo
Vesperia: Yuri
Graces f: Hubert

Of them my top 3 would be

Anise, Yuri, and Klarth

Yeah that's right Anise is my favorite Tales character come at me haters!

Vanille

dungeons and overworld design are very important to me.

I was hoping that after vesperia we'd get more beautifully crafted overworlds frtom this franchise but graces tried to be in the middle but came off as halfassed. I'd rather they put in minimal effort {point and click} or do something like dragon quest 8/vesperia.

the dungeons in vesperia weren't puzzle heavy but they felt meaty and satisfying.

Xillia is pretty much the exact opposite of what you're looking for, then.

It easily has the worst dungeons in the series. They can barely be considered dungeons at all really, more just an extension of the overworld.

spoil me please, so i'll know if I want to buy it or not.

There's no reason to not get a game over this since it's an event you'll never see if you do Millia's story. You don't have to play as Jude unless you are trying to platinum it.

FSLink

Banned
It easily has the worst dungeons in the series. They can barely be considered dungeons at really, more just an extension of the overworld.

Innocence? Legendia? :p Destiny PS1 Dycroft due to the ridiculous encounter rate?

They are rather boring though. At least it doesn't have Graces' dungeon theme.

That's pretty hard to imagine; Destiny R had some really, really bad dungeons (I'm talking nothing but corridors and L-shaped corridors that dragged on way longer than they had any right to).

At least it can be mitigated with Holy Bottles, and the fact that Destiny R's battles are godlike. But man, the difficulty spike once you get through the annoyingly long Dycroft (final dungeon) and finally reach the final boss though. Spent weeks trying to beat the boss. :( Was too stubborn to take it off Hard mode too.

MechaX

It easily has the worst dungeons in the series. They can barely be considered dungeons at really, more just an extension of the overworld.

That's pretty hard to imagine; Destiny R had some really, really bad dungeons (I'm talking nothing but corridors and L-shaped corridors that dragged on way longer than they had any right to).

Young Magus

Glad to see an OT for the tales games :D

Played a good amount of games in the series(Symphonia, Vesperia, Phantasia, Gracie F, Abyss and Eternia) only one I have a dislike for is Abyss. Will look into the unlocalized PS2 ones while I'm in Japan, specifically Destiny ps2.

FSLink

Banned
How are the two Vita remakes? I can get Hearts for $60. Is it worth it, or should I just play the DS version?

DS version. I'd wait for the price to go down for the Vita remake. As for Innocence, I heard from most people it's a decent improvement over the original.
Here's a demo translation patch for the DS version:
http://www.blade2187.com/2013/05/29/progress/

Here's two more great combo videos, beware of heavy plot spoilers though:
Tales of Vesperia -Ultimaniax- MAD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6hKkzKs2Fg
Tales of Graces f -Ultimaniax- MAD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPsu385zVT0

For people who already played Xillia 1 and 2, the Ultimaniax videos are good for those as well, but not linking them since they also have heavy plot spoilers.

How are the two Vita remakes? I can get Hearts for $60. Is it worth it, or should I just play the DS version?

If the demo is anything like the final game, get the ds version.

Tales of hearts for the ds is also one of the better tales games IMO, the best original handheld game anyway.....

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, get the DS version for Hearts if you can. Hearts R's demo was so disappointing.

What a waste of a pretty UI, though. That menu looked so pretty.

tales-of-hearts-r-pla35syd.jpg

Tajbm.jpg

FSLink

Banned
Those menus shots are amazing. EDIT: It looks remarkably similar to Narikiri Dungeon X's menu. Was Innocence R the same?

Also just found out the Hearts remake uses the same opening video as the DS one, but adjusted for one screen and letterboxed. No new opening Namco? Really?
(I do wish Innocence R kept the original OP to play like how Persona 3 FES plays the original after being idle on the title screen long enough).

Spiffy menus

Oh wow. I don't normally care too much about UIs, but that is truly a sight to behold.

Hearts always seemed interesting but the task of playing through it is daunting.
I can read katakana and hiragana, but not knowing what the hiragana means most of the time makes it functionally useless.
With a story/dialogue guide is Hearts satisfying enough to be playable?

Soriku

I just wrapped up Graces F today at like 135+ hours, final things being getting 999 max hits and beating
Lambda Theos
. Didn't expect this much content from it. The only RPG I've spent more time on on a first playthrough was Xenoblade. Though I did spent quite a bit of that time grinding for titles so I can beat bosses on Chaos (which I eventually gave up on, though I still beat most bosses on the highest difficulty I can) :x

Will probably go back to do a NG+ eventually and on Chaos the whole way through this time. Now waiting for Xillia
and Xillia 2 :p

Oh wow. I don't normally care too much about UIs, but that is truly a sight to behold.

Hearts always seemed interesting but the task of playing through it is daunting.
I can read katakana and hiragana, but not knowing what the hiragana means most of the time makes it functionally useless.
With a story/dialogue guide is Hearts satisfying enough to be playable?

Can you read Chinese? There is a Chinese patch for the DS version.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish they put Tales of Rebirth on Vita. :(

MechaX

At least it can be mitigated with Holy Bottles, and the fact that Destiny R's battles are godlike. But man, the difficulty spike once you get through the annoyingly long Dycroft (final dungeon) and finally reach the final boss though. Spent weeks trying to beat the boss. :( Was too stubborn to take it off Hard mode too.

I played Destiny R after the obligatory Tales fakeout ending before the third act, but I just dropped it for some reason before the final boss. Didn't like how they didn't really let the battle system shine until late in the game.

But if there is a full-translation out there, I might use it along Rebirth; for some reason, I did like most of the characters there.

Sinople

Good timing for this thread, I have a question.
Vesperia is available for 3,000 yen on PS3 but only costs 500 yen used on 360. Is the new content really worth it, considering I usually dislike little girl characters in JRPG (Anis ruined TotA for me)?

Seda

Vesperia is available for 3,000 yen on PS3 but only costs 500 yen used on 360. Is the new content really worth it, considering I usually dislike little girl characters in JRPG (Anis ruined TotA for me)?

I'd say so. Having Flynn join up at appropriate times, the new artes, costumes, bosses, weapons...

Bladenic

Oh God... Dark Schala hold me back. BassForever named Anise as his favorite Tales character.

Ban him.

Anyway I can't believe I forgot to name Symphonia as one of my favorites along with Vesperia and Rebirth. Oops.

And regarding music, Tales generally have awesome battle/boss themes, some good overworld themes (March of Brave Vesperia ftw) and the occasional standout town and cutscene song. The main theme variations are generally great. I'm personally loving Xillia 2's boss theme. It's awesomely hectic.

As for favorite characters:

Symphonia: Sheena/Zelos/Regal. Least favorite is Genis, HATE him.
Legendia: I like all of them a lot, probably Norma and Moses the most. Hate Jay though.
Rebirth: Tytree of course. But I like them all, Veigue is iconic with his "KUREEEEAAAA" screaming.
Abyss: Guy. I basically dislike the rest, except I ABHOR Anise. Also hate Jade.
Vesperia: love them all, Yuri and Raven the most.
Hearts: Hisui. Easily. What an amazing guy.
Graces: Malik all the way.
Xillia 2: too early, I'm liking them all though. Jude is pretty awesome, I heard he sucked in Xillia though. Really like Leia and Alvin.

Patty isn't anywhere near as bad as Anise. The extra content's definitely worth it, in my opinion.

Tales of Vesperia is my favorite Tales. Took 186+ hours to plat it and I don't regret any of it. So güd. I was on my way to platting Graces, too, but KH ReMIX happened :p

Now, I don't want to spend much money in the same month because I need to save for a car. I have to choose between Dragon's Dogma and Xillia =/

What Tales are you all playing this year?
Graces for the plat, Vesperia because it's amazing, and Xillia. Is Symphonia for this year? If yes and dual audio, that too.

Another old favorite I dug up, Indignation compilation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5pwRnMWBVs
Lacks Jade's amazing Indignation from the anime.

FSLink

Banned
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5ZSX6oVDqE

Oh, I guess this is a good place to put this. Someone's trying to edit Phantasia (Super Famicom version) to be more playable. They're trying to add Rambard as a character too, which is kinda neat considering he can be seen in beta screenshots of "Tale Phantasia".

And changed my avatar to something Tales related~

A good song ruined by making it play every battle in Leon's side in Destiny remake's Director's Cut. :( So tired of it now.

Tunic

Never played any of the series before. I am interested to try it out though. I was thinking of picking up Symphonia (GC) on eBay. What does everyone say?

Top Bottom