• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Rhapsody

Banned
Bluntly speaking, Rebirth's narrative is one of the worst narratives I have experienced in the entire RPG genre, to be honest with you.

People had a ho-hum time with Symphonia's nods to racism here and there? Rebirth's entire narrative's about that, and it smacks you over the head with it constantly.

This is what bugs me about some Tales games. I've often heard about how much Rebirth kept mentioning racism and it reminds me of the same thing with Graces and friendship. Some of the other Tales games did have recurring themes or at least characters' dreams (Kyle's "I want to be a hero"), but it was still tolerable to a point.

Vesperia's theme was justice, but I'm glad how they got it across.

FSLink

Banned
Found a Tales of Series HiOugi/Mystic Arte exhibition of the entire series...it's apparently incomplete but it's already a bit over an hour long....Geez, I guess the RadiMyth games helped extend that quite a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq2R_F2URz8
It's apparently up to date outside of Tales of Hearts R.

Found one for Boss Battles from the Tales games from 1998-2011 as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibe7TO4zRGw

Kind of a neat retrospective. :p A quick glance at it looks like the player is decent at comboing too at least.

EDIT: Changed the HiOugi exhibition with a more up to date one. It's a whopping 1:29:26 in length! I completely forgot Klarth got a Pac Man summon in Phantasia X.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Xillia 2 has the best story out of all the Tales games I've played.

Also, don't expect a new Tales announcement at TGS. It'll come after Symphonia HD's release sometime between October to December. I'm also betting that if Xillia 2 isn't coming stateside, that's when they'll announce the near-simul localization.

My kind of thread!

Been trying to push myself into finishing Legendia (since I wanted to beat it before Xillia launched over here) but...meh. It's just so...I don't know. It's like it doesn't want me to enjoy it as much as the other games. Music is great and all, and I like some of the characters, but it's just a bore to me.

Seeing all of this talk about Rebirth having a meh narrative is disappointing to me, since I wanted to jump on it whenever an English translation comes through (lol :( ). It looks great and the battle system looks fun as well. I guess that helps it a lot from what I'm reading.

Flamfas

I'm also betting that if Xillia 2 isn't coming stateside, that's when they'll announce the near-simul localization.

I know you've said this several times, but I'm not entirely certain about this. Especially now that 2013's "big game" turned out to be Symphonia. It's almost like the decision was made with the western audiences in mind. Minimal work will be done localizing it compared to a new title. It's the perfect opportunity for Namco to catch up with Japan's release schedule. ToSC in early 2014 (March maybe?), ToX2 in September/October 2014, and then Q2 2015 for whatever Japan gets in 2014.

Bladenic

Speaking of Mystic Artes/Hi ougis, I'm still sad they took them out of Legendia, especially given the fact they had been voiced (in Japanese anyway). Norma sounded like she had good ones (one was called Snow Celebration, with a name like that it must have been awesome).

The MAs are actually one of my favorite things about the series. I always hate when they only include one per character, it's so lame (Vesperia 360, Xillia, Hearts. Funny enough they always rectify that with the expanded/sequel/remakes).

As for Rebirth, it falls under the same category as Graces. Terrible story, incredible gameplay. That said, I like the Rebirth cast much more than Graces overall (Asbel is irredeemable). The Lineage and Legacies chapter actually makes the whole cast tremendously better, strangely enough. It makes Richard into an actual character, and everyone becomes much more likable (the skits are amazing).

FSLink

Banned
Speaking of Mystic Artes/Hi ougis, I'm still sad they took them out of Legendia, especially given the fact they had been voiced (in Japanese anyway). Norma sounded like she had good ones (one was called Snow Celebration, with a name like that it must have been awesome).
RadiMyth 3 actually gives the Legendia characters their Mystic Artes. Norma's looks like it'd be amazing looking if it weren't for the PSP limitations.

EDIT: Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KE_NnQIRw

The Lineage and Legacies chapter actually makes the whole cast tremendously better, strangely enough. It makes Richard into an actual character, and everyone becomes much more likable (the skits are amazing).

It's funny that this seems to be the general consensus about it in most forums I see, but whenever I see it mentioned on the official Tales forums, people there seem to think the exact opposite. Not strange that people might have different opinions on the whole thing, but odd that I've only ever seen someone who thought that L&L was worse there.

Rhapsody

Banned

It wouldn't be a Tales game without making the deadline and missing originally planned content.

kayos90

I know you've said this several times, but I'm not entirely certain about this. Especially now that 2013's "big game" turned out to be Symphonia. It's almost like the decision was made with the western audiences in mind. Minimal work will be done localizing it compared to a new title. It's the perfect opportunity for Namco to catch up with Japan's release schedule. ToSC in early 2014 (March maybe?), ToX2 in September/October 2014, and then Q2 2015 for whatever Japan gets in 2014.

Symphonia isn't coming out in March. It'll either be February or April since Dark Souls II is coming out on March. In addition, I'm inclined to think that the game is coming out in April moreso than February considering we haven't even seen a sliver of localization shots yet.

Also, if Symphonia does come out in April then that means the next Tales game, probably Xillia 2 will be out around August at the earliest and I don't see this happening. I still think it's the most ideal for NB to skip Xillia 2 entirely and go for a simultaneous launch on their next mothership title which will hit Fall next year.

Bladenic

It's funny that this seems to be the general consensus about it in most forums I see, but whenever I see it mentioned on the official Tales forums, people there seem to think the exact opposite. Not strange that people might have different opinions on the whole thing, but odd that I've only ever seen someone who thought that L&L was worse there.

I seen that too. To be fair, the opposite side reasoning is understandable. They basically force Asbel and Cheria together, and Hubert suddenly becomes MADLY in love with Pascal. Still, Hubert's new love makes for some great skits, and Sophie's struggle is handled well. And just like the main game, Malik and Pascal are awesome, and Richard is also made into a fun character (though surprisingly he was just kinda along for the ride, not much time was spent on his dealing with what happened).

@FSLink: I saw them. They were actually really awesome. Still hoping for a Legendia remake eventually.

kewlmyc

Xillia 2 has the best story out of all the Tales games I've played.

Also, don't expect a new Tales announcement at TGS. It'll come after Symphonia HD's release sometime between October to December. I'm also betting that if Xillia 2 isn't coming stateside, that's when they'll announce the near-simul localization.

Do you think Xillia will sell enough to warrant Xillia 2 and future Tales game coming outside of Japan?

FSLink

Banned
It wouldn't be a Tales game without making the deadline and missing originally planned content.

I know it was probably cut because of Colette's change from an archer to a chakram user somewhere in development...but it would have been pretty sweet if she kept Satsugeki Bukouken. EDIT: Actually thinking about it, it probably wouldn't have just been a badass archer version of Final Fury, probably would have done that and then ended with her tripping. :/

The Tales of forums has tons of crazy shippers so it's not surprising a lot of them aren't too fond of the f arc.

kayos90

Do you think Xillia will sell enough to warrant Xillia 2 and future Tales game coming outside of Japan?

Considering how NB gave the go for Xillia before Graces sales numbers for both regions came out I think it's safe to say they were actually expecting relatively low numbers for the title and expect roughly the same number if not a little more for Xillia. I don't think it's hard to achieve this feat either so NB might do the same and give the go already. Whether it be Xillia 2 or somethign else, I think it's an extremely safe bet that we'll see another Tales game.

kayos90

I've gotta say, I'm kind of glad NB's starting to have somewhat reasonable expectations for the series overseas now.

Tales is definitely a niche title despite what people actually think and believe. It's hard to compare it to titles that sell.... astronomically well. Do I think the game will eventually reach 100k? Sure. Will it be Xillia? Why not. As long as NB allots resources properly and gauge things well I think things will look up.

FSLink

Banned
Tales is definitely a niche title despite what people actually think and believe. It's hard to compare it to titles that sell.... astronomically well. Do I think the game will eventually reach 100k? Sure. Will it be Xillia? Why not. As long as NB allots resources properly and gauge things well I think things will look up.

Also learning how to market (they're doing better with this showing off recent trailers at anime conventions and stuff) and not releasing the same time as another high profile RPG might help.

Rhapsody

Banned
I know it was probably cut because of Colette's change from an archer to a chakram user somewhere in development...but it would have been pretty sweet if she kept Satsugeki Bukouken. EDIT: Actually thinking about it, it probably wouldn't have just been a badass archer version of Final Fury, probably would have done that and then ended with her tripping. :/

The Tales of forums has tons of crazy shippers so it's not surprising a lot of them aren't too fond of the f arc.

That's actually pretty interesting. I never knew that Colette basically got a class change.

kayos90

Also learning how to market (they're doing better with this showing off recent trailers at anime conventions and stuff) and not releasing the same time as another high profile RPG might help.

Which is why I think releasing Symphonia in April is also a better idea.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I have been playing Innocence R for the last few days (should be finished soon). I think this is the first Tales game I played that isn't composed by Sakuraba and it's so much better for it. Really enjoying the music in this.

ED Cantu

Also, if Symphonia does come out in April then that means the next Tales game, probably Xillia 2 will be out around August at the earliest and I don't see this happening. I still think it's the most ideal for NB to skip Xillia 2 entirely and go for a simultaneous launch on their next mothership title which will hit Fall next year.

This is how things could happen in my opinion:
Symphonia collection - April 2014 NA
Xillia 2 - September 2014 NA
Next Mothership Tales - November in Japan / Q1 or Q2 2015 for NA

By the way, do you think the next mothership title will be for PS3 or perhaps PS4?

kayos90

Too bad Vesperia PS3 didn't make it to the West. How is Xillia 1 compared to Vesperia ?

Xillia 1 is good. I enjoyed the game despite some caveats. The combat is extremely fast paced because characters are extremely overpowered. The game leans much more closely to Vesperia's style rather than Graces in how the battles flow and controls. I'd say Xillia 1 is the next step to Vesperia.

This is how things could happen in my opinion:
Symphonia collection - April 2014 NA
Xillia 2 - September 2014 NA
Next Mothership Tales - November in Japan / Q1 or Q2 2015 for NA

By the way, do you think the next mothership title will be for PS3 or perhaps PS4?

It'll be for PS3.

FSLink

Banned
That's actually pretty interesting. I never knew that Colette basically got a class change.

Yeah, she had a bunch of archer techs, a spell named "Sephiroth" and "Grand Fall" (had a description of a giant pow hammer falling if you hack it into the artes menu). Here's a list:
Dancing Sickle
Grand Fall
Mirage Sabre
Satsugeki Bukouken
Sephiroth
Shiten Messatsurin

Guren
Hyougu
Jinrai
Shippu
Shouha
Toryuu
Touha
Washuu

Genis had Fearful Flare, Tetra Spell, and Raine had some dark spells, Valkyrie's Javelin, Magic Shell, and such.

Some other obscure Tales facts:
- Phantasia was developed by WolfTeam, and so was Star Ocean.
- The aformentioned Legendia cut Mystic Artes, and the fact that it was developed by the Soul Calibur team + some folks at Studio Ghibli. And apparently Fenimore and Thyra planned to be playable at some point?
- Dawn of the New World/Knight of Ratatosk not originally planned as a Symphonia sequel
- Karol and Repede were supposed to be one character at one point (he was gonna ride him apparently?)
- The whole Tale Phantasia thing: http://aselia.wikia.com/wiki/Tale_Phantasia
Talephantasiachars.jpg
- He-Man prevented us from getting "Tales of Eternia" its original name, it's why we got it renamed to Tales of Destiny II.
- Not as obscure, but Symphonia is a prequel to Phantasia.
- Sheena was supposed to get some of Suzu's artes, Lloyd was supposed to get some of Cless' Eternal Sword artes.

DJwest

Xillia 1 is good. I enjoyed the game despite some caveats. The combat is extremely fast paced because characters are extremely overpowered. The game leans much more closely to Vesperia's style rather than Graces in how the battles flow and controls. I'd say Xillia 1 is the next step to Vesperia.
Thanks man. So I will definitely like the combat then. How is the story and the characters ? (again, compared to Vesperia since its the only Tales of I've played)

Soriku

Any thoughts as to what the team will be like for the new console mothership? I know they don't have teams in the traditional sense anymore but Xillia leaned on people who were involved with Tales of Hearts.

kayos90

Any thoughts as to what the team will be like for the new console mothership? I know they don't have teams in the traditional sense anymore but Xillia leaned on people who were involved with Tales of Hearts.

I could be wrong but I think that's moreso the fact that they wanted new people to take the helm and give certain employees more important roles. I think we might see more of that in the future.

kayos90

I see, I think that makes sense.
So then maybe the 20th anniversary title would be the first for next gen consoles (and by that I mean PS4).

This is highly likely, yes. But it'll depend on the adoption rate of the PS4 and how that compares to the wellbeing of the PS3. They could also release a PS3 version initially for the 20th anniversary and a director's cut for the PS4 a year later. LOL.

kewlmyc

How much new voice work was in the PS2 version of Symphonia? Enough that re-voicing the whole game will be necessary?

FSLink

Banned
How much new voice work was in the PS2 version of Symphonia? Enough that re-voicing the whole game will be necessary?

Some new artes, and some new boss artes as well...that's about it I think. I can't recall if they added skits but those weren't voiced in English originally anyway. All the new cutscenes from what I can remember were not voiced. It's not a huge amount of content like Vesperia PS3 or anything at least.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My least favorite of the Chimeriad easily. Though... in all honesty, I think the Chimeriad all suck in general. rofl.
Eh, I didn't think the Fauves were that bad. They just kinda lacked the development they needed to be pretty good.

It's a shame because the foundation for them to live up to their potential as interesting characters were there. Jiao was probably the only one who was kinda okay.

kayos90

Eh, I didn't think the Fauves were that bad. They just kinda lacked the development they needed to be pretty good.

It's a shame because the foundation for them to live up to their potential as interesting characters were there. Jiao was probably the only one who was kinda okay.

Rofl. Dat screenshot quality. FACEBOOK WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I get Xillia I want to go with picking Milla instead of Jude the first time, does it matter or is better to play through as Jude first?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
When I get Xillia I want to go with picking Milla instead of Jude the first time, does it matter or is better to play through as Jude first?
Doesn't matter because outside of Act 3, they generally see the same story scenes outside of a few individual ones strewn throughout. I do think that Jude is much better to pick first for better comprehension of the story since his side tells you everything you need to know and provides enough intrigue, while Milla's side tends to fill in some gaps.

Basically, it's much better to play through as Jude first if you're going in for the narrative so you get the bigger picture.

Rhapsody

Banned
I'm pretty disappointed with how Xillia handled on letting the player choose between the 2 protagonists.
They could've done so much more but they didn't. I was expecting something like SO2 at least.

KiteGr

OP!

I'm insulted!

Making a thread about unreleased tales titles without even mentioning the curse of the European tales releases. Going as fahr to request spoiler tags only for the titles not released in America, not thinking that in Europe we barely got any titles at all!

Same goes for Xenosaga, but that's a tail for another time.

Top Bottom