• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Series | Community Thread | Localizing more games than Square Enix

Datschge

Surprised Phantasia doesn't rank, I thought it would make the top 3.
Note how the list only includes localized titles, and the West only got Phantasia on the GBA which is the worst version. The best would be Phantasia X on PSP.

I personally find such popularity lists useless anyway since it reflects the exposure the games got (or didn't by lacking a localization). That way outstanding entries that have no equals within the series like Rebirth or Narikiri Dungeon X are bound to stay obscure niche to 99.9% even of the Tales fans.

Ralemont

not me
Tales of Phantasia and Destiny have bad 2D combat systems, so I wouldn't even consider them. I'f I'm picking a 2D Tales, it's Eternia for sure.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Namco should use this for promo.
a08e699bbd.png

It feels like Luke has a lot to do with it. Some people find him absolutely unbearable from beginning to end to the extent that they're unable to enjoy anything else about the game. The rest only find him unbearable until the tragic events that force him to grow up.

Personally I belong in the latter group and I actually think Abyss has the best Tales story and one of the better JRPG stories in general. Loved the twists and, aside from Luke being just ok, all of the characters were fantastic.

?

Odd, me and alot of folks I've seen love the douchebag early Luke and pass on Contrite Luke.

I mean, he kicked the unlikable fuzzball mascot around for that arc, that's ace in my book. :O

Hachitora

It feels like Luke has a lot to do with it. Some people find him absolutely unbearable from beginning to end to the extent that they're unable to enjoy anything else about the game. The rest only find him unbearable until the tragic events that force him to grow up.

Personally I belong in the latter group and I actually think Abyss has the best Tales story and one of the better JRPG stories in general. Loved the twists and, aside from Luke being just ok, all of the characters were fantastic.

I agree. Abyss is my favorite Tales game story-wise. I don't hate Luke as much as a lot of people do, but I did find him annoying in the beginning. Everyone else was great though, especially the villains. I liked how they all had a reason to do the things they were doing, and they weren't just evil for power or something else generic.

That being said, I'm not too big a fan of the combat system. It's probably ranked the lowest out of the ones I've played. Granted, I've only played this, Xillia, Symphonia, and Graces (which is my personal favorite).

aravuus

?

Odd, me and alot of folks I've seen love the douchebag early Luke and pass on Contrite Luke.

I mean, he kicked the unlikable fuzzball mascot around for that arc, that's ace in my book. :O

Wow, I've NEVER seen anyone share your opinion lol. Alright, let's add people with this opinion as a third group, either way, Luke is a big factor in whether or not people enjoy the game.

That being said, I'm not too big a fan of the combat system. It's probably ranked the lowest out of the ones I've played. Granted, I've only played this, Xillia, Symphonia, and Graces (which is my personal favorite).

Nothing's gonna top Graces.

Ultratech

Tales of Phantasia and Destiny have bad 2D combat systems, so I wouldn't even consider them. I'f I'm picking a 2D Tales, it's Eternia for sure.

OG Phantasia and Destiny had clunky systems.

Their remakes made them a lot better. (Notably, Destiny Remake and ToPX)

Eternia's not bad, but not being able to defend against Magic in very little capacity sucks terribly.

Destiny Remake has the best 2D battle system of any Tales I've played.

I actually thought jerkass Luke was a pretty nice change of pace as far as JRPG leads go. After he starts maturing and wanting to atone he gets a lot less interesting, but still bearable.

Honestly, Abyss' cast being as dysfunctional as it is for a majority of the game is part of the reason why it's one of my favorite RPG casts (FFVIII is another favorite of mine; it's clear the main party there needs many, many fuckin' years of therapy). I can't think of many (good) RPGs where the party members get fed up with each other so easily and kind of suck at cooperating with each other outside of battle.

Paltheos

Holy crap. After days of on-and-off playing of Graces drudging through the childhood arc, I finally clear it, and the instant I start the adult arc - BAM. Instant awesome. It's like night and day - This is so much better. I actually want to keep playing.

In an instant I understood why people love this battle system so much, and I see it only getting better.

Seda

Holy crap. After days of on-and-off playing of Graces drudging through the childhood arc, I finally clear it, and the instant I start the adult arc - BAM. Instant awesome. It's like night and day - This is so much better. I actually want to keep playing.

In an instant I understood why people love this battle system so much, and I see it only getting better.

I recommend taking some time to try out different characters too, don't just stick to Asbel (good advice for any Tales game, but especially this one).

Also, clearing the future arc opens up even more combat possibilities with Accel Mode, it's kinda nuts (although those Mystic Artes are perhaps too easy to spam.)

aravuus

Also, clearing the future arc opens up even more combat possibilities with Accel Mode, it's kinda nuts (although those Mystic Artes are perhaps too easy to spam.)

I never played the future arc, you make it sound like you can unlock Accel mode (whatever that is lol) for the main game too?

I definitely need to replay Graces soon

Seda

I never played the future arc, you make it sound like you can unlock Accel mode (whatever that is lol) for the main game too?

I definitely need to replay Graces soon

Accel mode carries into your clear save so you can use it for the bonus dungeon and such.

Ultratech

I recommend taking some time to try out different characters too, don't just stick to Asbel (good advice for any Tales game, but especially this one).

Yup. I just beat Graces' main scenario last week, currently a good ways through the Future Arc.

Still figuring out all the quirks of Accel Mode and all that.

Thoughts on using the other characters in combat (minus Asbel)
-Sophie: Her A-Artes are pretty awesome; B-Artes are a little awkward, but having healing/revive is nice. I like using her quite a bit.
-Cheria: Her A-Artes feel so clunky to use; I mean, I know she's not really an attacker, but it's weird. Great caster though.
-Malik: He's got good stuff all around. Ranged A-Artes for keeping stuff away, making distance; Heavy-hitting spells to wreck stuff. He's great.
-Hubert: I feel like I suck with him. Either not enough CC to do combos, or I finish a combo then get wrecked after being vulnerable after a combo. Prolly just need more practice, I suppose.
-Pascal: Haven't used her as extensively as the others; from the looks of it, she's got some powerful stuff, it's just a matter knowing how to use everything. From what I have played, it's been a little awkward, but plenty manageable.

Hachitora

Graces characters are fun to play. The only ones I don't really use though are Pascal and Malik. I need to replay it soon though, I haven't touched it in a while

demidar

Pascal is my favourite (besides Ass-bel). Her spells are all close range which is an interesting dynamic and puts emphasis on chaining A-Artes into B-Artes to get your spells out quickly before you get hit.

It's nearly identical to their Symphonia Chronicles one. Nice.

Wait, does the UK box not have the anime OVA in it?

For the first time ever, we’ve bundled a special 30 minute anime with the game! ufotable produced a beautiful Original Video Animation chronicling the start of the game. You’ll be able to watch it in Japanese or English, with subtitles available in English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese! We initially announced that the OVA would be a DVD but we decided to upgrade it to Bluray!

sounds like how it was released in Japan, it'll be on the game disc I think?

I like it, hopefully the NA version will be about the same size
I love these CEs but I'm running out of room for them ~_~

Steroyd

Seeing that as a rare occasion a new digital game is going to be £40 for the PS4 in the UK I thought I'd prepare by playing Xillia 2 and... OMG!! WHY!? I've only played 1 hour and I can already see that the silent protagonist thing is and is always going to be frustratingly shit on every level.

That said wasn't expecting the game to read my Xillia and Graces F save files for some extra goodies. ^_^

But seriously, silent protag is not working for this game, it feels nowhere near that the game is catered around this.

aravuus

Xillia 2 is probably one of my least favorite Tales games and yeah, the silent protagonist is one of the worst I've honestly seen in games. It makes no fucking sense at all.

demidar

Ludger has a great character design, and how he voices his artes he could've sounded good too.

These decisions just make no sense.

kewlmyc

Ludger has a great character design, and how he voices his artes he could've sounded good too.

These decisions just make no sense.

It's vaguely for story reason, but they're not good ones.

I assume it's to hide the fact that Ludger is Victor.

Oh I know that, I did finish the game after all.

Still,
wouldn't the others know how similar they sound?

they could have easily had Victor's voice be slightly different for whatever reason (getting older, accidents, etc)

and Victor doesn't really appear until much later so it isn't like this is one giant twist that would have gotten revealed from the start

hell, Ellie never actually notices that they are the same until its been revealed and I imagine she heard her father's voice millions of time to recognize it

silent Ludger is a really bad idea and really ruins a good character

thanks baba

Steroyd

Xillia 2 is an interesting case study in what it gets wrong, the silent protag is the first time I've ever seen a "bad" implementation of such a thing, but my mind is blown with the debt mechanic, I don't spend money in RPG's so on a conceptual level this plays right into my playstyle with RPG's in general, but holy crap I don't want to be reminded every 5k or 10k that I've reached that amount, yes Nova you have a heart of gald, I get it!

Can't imagine I'll find any other nitpicking for this game outside of everyone from the first game just happens to be there because random and joins because why not, I can't wait to see how they bring Milla into this.

Cornbread78

Random question here. I've been playing Tales of Symphonia for awhile now and I'm just getting to the
Tower of Mana
about how many hours of gameplay are left? Trying to see if I'll make it to the end before Zestiria launches.

Seda

Random question here. I've been playing Tales of Symphonia for awhile now and I'm just getting to the
Tower of Mana
about how many hours of gameplay are left? Trying to see if I'll make it to the end before Zestiria launches.

If you rush, 25ish. You're about a third of the way through the game.

Cornbread78

If you rush, 25ish. You're about a third of the way through the game.

Damn, that means about 30-40 for the way I play, lol. There is no way then since I only play 5-10 hours a week, lol. I guess I will get tabled for a couple months until I finish Zestiria then

Thanks for the info.

Rhapsody

Banned
Xillia 2 is an interesting case study in what it gets wrong, the silent protag is the first time I've ever seen a "bad" implementation of such a thing, but my mind is blown with the debt mechanic, I don't spend money in RPG's so on a conceptual level this plays right into my playstyle with RPG's in general, but holy crap I don't want to be reminded every 5k or 10k that I've reached that amount, yes Nova you have a heart of gald, I get it!

Can't imagine I'll find any other nitpicking for this game outside of everyone from the first game just happens to be there because random and joins because why not, I can't wait to see how they bring Milla into this.

Unfortunately debt mechanic made me not want to play on a higher difficulty. Didn't want to waste even more gald on items and equipment on a difficulty setting that's not super rewarding. :/

So tier 3 unlocked that means if I pay the $50 I get both ToZ and ToS now? Now people are gonna go all in on preorders

edit: not quite yet a troll photoshopped on the steam forums

-.-

kewlmyc

So tier 3 unlocked that means if I pay the $50 I get both ToZ and ToS now? Now people are gonna go all in on preorders

edit: not quite yet a troll photoshopped on the steam forums

-.-

I was wondering how the hell it jumped 50% in one afternoon.

I honestly don't think it's going to make it. That or Namco Bandai is going to lower the requirements for getting to Tier 3.

Top Bottom