• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Unisonant Pack announced for PS3 [Screens/Videos in OP]

The Rita costume doesn't look that jarring anymore.

Also can't wait to use Judith in this game!

The cut-ins are ok.

Gotta like how they keep mocking us with using a Vesperia save.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh, a friend is saying the famitsu article says the Vesperia costumes (Rita & Judith) are available on your second playthrough, or your first if you have Vesperia save data
Hahaha... oh, that's rich.

Maybe they might make it paid DLC here, who knows?

Eusis

Now make the US version of the game read the japanese Vesperia save. That would be hilarious. And sad.
They could do like Atlus did with Knights in the Nightmare on PSP and just unlock the boons immediately, even though in that case the prior game (Yggdra Union) actually DID come out in the US and is less of a hassle than the DS counterpart. But then I guess that's kind of why they did it, everyone could download a Yggdra Union save so may as well just stop fooling around and give it to everyone.

Anyways I guess it's not too big of a deal as they'd be post-game unlocks anyway, and I don't really want to do my first run (and admittedly likely only run) in costumes anyway.

Eusis

I still can't get over how little effort is put toward it.
Really? These kinds of efforts are the norm for HD updates, SE and to a (much) lesser degree Nintendo are being the odd ones out actually improving or completely changing some of the visuals beyond going widescreen and obviously bumping the resolution up.
For some reason I prefer this than them changing a bunch of stuff like in the FFX/X-2 HD remaster.
In the end we mainly want either nostalgia or just running the game in a higher resolution, the more different stuff they do the less it misses the point (sort of) and enters remake territory. It's kind of why the HDR stuff in Wind Waker HD's offputting to some of us, the game looked FANTASTIC in Dolphin shots and really just needed a resolution bump and going widescreen, not much else visual-wise.

BY2K

Membero Americo
But here outside of the HUD, text and menus I can't even tell it's at a higher resolution. Maybe it's just me.

It's alright. Wretched opening chapter though.

It's just a bunch of "why?"s for me. Why make a spin-off instead of a proper sequel out of arguably the most popular game in the series? Why make the new characters, sans Tenebrae, as annoying as shit? Why did they make Lloyd's voice the verbal equivalent to nails on chalkboard? Why the pointless monster-taming system*? Why ditch the overworld map? Just...why?

*LOVED MY LITTLE LEECH THOUGH. <3

Never played it before. I'm sure teh rie will help me play through it.

The what now?

Eusis

But here outside of the HUD, text and menus I can't even tell it's at a higher resolution. Maybe it's just me.
You're also watching a Youtube video. By default it's the same resolution as the GC game was, and even in HD it's probably not going to look as sharp as when rendered by the game itself.

Nevermind if this is a 1080p HD release rather than 720p, then Youtube absolutely isn't showing the full resolution.

FSLink

Banned
The website updated. It has several new screens (in the system section) and such.

http://tos-u.tales-ch.jp/

Still ML-LMBS so no Free Run, not that I expected it or anything. Also I notice that only window style C are in screens, while the default used to be B. :p Yes I know I'm observing menu styles, haha, just interesting to see if it'll be the only style available in the HD version or not.

Also gross, still only two shortcuts for artes? (L2 and R2)

EDIT: With the Colette trailer, what's up with Judgment looking transparent blueish, but then looking like normal as white pillars in Holy Judgment?

Seda

Yes I know I'm observing menu styles, haha, just interesting to see if it'll be the only style available in the HD version or not.

I don't recall the specific labels for the menu styles but menus are honestly always some of the most interesting screens for me.

FSLink

Banned
Window Style A was this, but blue by default.

B is the normal one you see in almost all screenshots of the SD version.

And C was the boxy gold style you seen in the HD version now.

Kind of weird that we haven't seen B yet...

Not really a big deal since C looks great in HD...I thought it looked lame in the SD version (always kept it B), but it looks great in these HD screens.

FSLink

Banned
Huh yeah, that new Judgment effect is pretty jarring. :/

Also, nope, Colette's Rita outfit still looks terrible.

Colette's Lloyd costume is the only one I used besides the formal costume (everyone's formal costume in Symphonia looks great imo). /shrug
Also yeah, not sure wtf is going on with Judgment there, can't be a Rita costume specific thing because she has no spells that looks like that.

Dio

Banned
So are they fixing the combat, or is it still the garbage mashy broken combat still? I mean, I was kind of expecting them to do the whole thing they did like the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake, but I guess they don't want to put money into it and leave it that way.

FSLink

Banned
i am wondering if the English version will have this song ?

it was only in the Japanese version on the original .

Starry heavens -heroic.

i have been whistling the tune all day now.

Considering recent Tales games have been keeping the openings, and Xillia 1 and likely Xillia 2 are keeping the original Japanese opening even, I'd say it's likely.

So are they fixing the combat, or is it still the garbage mashy broken combat still? I mean, I was kind of expecting them to do the whole thing they did like the Tales of Destiny PS2 remake, but I guess they don't want to put money into it and leave it that way.
Same as before, there's a recent Colette trailer posted above that has combat gameplay.

Alrix

Any idea if the battle camera in the first game will expand to include all players in this version? it always just stayed on player one and could get real irritating for the others

FSLink

Banned
Any idea if the battle camera in the first game will expand to include all players in this version? it always just stayed on player one and could get real irritating for the others

Was fixed in the PS2 version, and the HD port is based off of it.

Bladenic

The combat is fun, stay mad.

The only, and I mean only, thing barring me from this game is "super deformed chibi" character models I've never liked this trend in "classic" JRPGs as it was merely a technical restraint back in the late 80s FF games. Tales of Xillia/Vesperia look intriguing to me due largely in part to their realistic character proportions (by that I mean above 4 ft tall...not necessarily realistic cup sizes lol)

I realize this is incredulously picky but it has always hampered my immersion for some reason.
Though Bravely Default's artstyle is slowing converting me however.

Fisico

The only, and I mean only, thing barring me from this game is "super deformed chibi" character models I've never liked this trend in "classic" JRPGs as it was merely a technical restraint back in the late 80s FF games. Tales of Xillia/Vesperia look intriguing to me due largely in part to their realistic character proportions (by that I mean above 4 ft tall...not necessarily realistic cup sizes lol)

I realize this is incredulously picky but it has always hampered my immersion for some reason.
Though Bravely Default's artstyle is slowing converting me however.

Rejoice, Dawn of the New World has realistic character models !

you know... instead of giving us the turd of the 2nd game...spending that effort to update the battle system of the first game to be more in line with modern tales games would make me way more happy :)

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
you know... instead of giving us the turd of the 2nd game...spending that effort to update the battle system of the first game to be more in line with modern tales games would make me way more happy :)

ToS2 Story isnt as offensive as Graces tho.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
So true. Emil > Asbel by far.

I guess Im one of the few people who enjoyed Symphonia 2. Combat its fun, animation was pretty fluid and the monster catching while flawed was interesting. I do agree the story its disposable and Emil and Martha aint strong enough characters to carry the game alone.(#TeamTenebrae) The fact you couldn't customize Tales of Symphonia 1 cast was terrible. I did heard there were codes that allowed some things that actually could make the game even better. I gotta look for it tbh...

Emil has interesting moments
Martha sucks
Richter its cool

Seda

I guess Im one of the few people who enjoyed Symphonia 2. Combat its fun, animation was pretty fluid and the monster catching while flawed was interesting. I do agree the story its disposable and Emil and Martha aint strong enough characters to carry the game alone.(#TeamTenebrae) The fact you couldn't customize Tales of Symphonia 1 cast was terrible. I did heard there was a patch that allowed some things that actually could make the game even better. I gotta look for it tbh...

Emil has interesting moments
Martha sucks
Richter its cool

I agree mostly. I quite like Richter as well and the dialogue in general is better when characters like Sheena and Regal are tagging alongside the protags to ground the inane dialogue those two tend to spout.

And yeah I seem to enjoy monster raising systems more than most.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Asbel is pretty terrible in comparison to Emil. I actually liked Emil but I couldn't fucking stand Marta.

saying symphonia 2 is better than graces story isn't saying much :/

Never bothered with monster catching because the game doesn't bother explaining how any of that shit really works. I mostly ended up using the symphonia 1 cast for my other party members, because they seem to be around a lot.

didn't even know emil's mystic arte strength is tied to how many dark monsters you have or something.

SaintZ

Oh I liked Marta but couldn't stan Emil. His "courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality" was just too much. Tenebrae >>>>>>> everyone though. I would have liked to see the rest of the centurions not only him and Aqua.

The monster raising aspect was deeper than I was expecting and the skits (and cutscenes) were a lot of fun too. Alice and Decus were entertaining.

Really, ToS2 wasn't that bad but it felt like a cheap game.

TEJ

I hear that tenebrae is playable in ToS2. That makes the game go from "meh" to awesome since he's maybe my favorite tales of character.

i'm pretty sure i paid full price for TOS2 T_T

it does have a good remix of the starting town (forget name, issylia?) theme though. that theme is easily top 5 best town theme melodies for me.

Top Bottom