• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Symphonia Unisonant Pack announced for PS3 [Screens/Videos in OP]

MechaX

That Lloyd head is so...jarring.

I personally can never unsee the Lloyd face thanks to this pic.

tumblr_m29yemRwqF1qady71o3_500.jpg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
FZVFvdj.jpg

Man, this is why I said I'd be all over this if it did a bit of work on it. Time has not been nice to ToS.

kewlmyc

This game has aged terribly. The costumes also don't match, looks very jarring. Will still buy to support the series, but damn. Looks like they've barely done any touchups.

Eusis

What SE and even Nintendo did is the exception, most of these are straight up HD updates and usually make the change just fine, this is probably the first where its native resolution may be preferable.

... Though damn do the new costumes serve to further highlight how the graphics look more like average DC visuals than late gen GC.

TEJ

What SE and even Nintendo did is the exception, most of these are straight up HD updates and usually make the change just fine, this is probably the first where it's native resolution may be preferable.

... Though damn do the new costumes serve to further highlight how the graphics look more like average DC visuals than late gen GC.

average DC visuals? Now that's hyperbole if i've ever seen it.

Eusis

average DC visuals? Now that's hyperbole if i've ever seen it.
Admittly it's not like claiming they're PS1 visuals, and in some ways it really does look more comparable to something you might've seen on the DC... although now that I look at pictures of Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II again I have to reconsider that somewhat, those games looked a lot rougher than I remembered. Instead it looks more like what we might've seen if developers could continue to develop for the DC and pushed it further, at least for another year or so.

Rpgmonkey

What SE and even Nintendo did is the exception, most of these are straight up HD updates and usually make the change just fine, this is probably the first where it's native resolution may be preferable.

It definitely seems like other HD remasters were helped a lot by having more advanced 3D graphics than Symphonia did, even if they had a similar level of effort put into their HD remasters. Many of them at least covered the basics for PS2/GCN/Xbox-era 3D games, like individual fingers and a greater variety of animations for story scenes and such. Symphonia's models don't seem to be detailed/complex enough for a resolution boost to really bring out any "hidden quality", especially the NPCs.

Figured a little more effort would go into cleaning up the textures a bit though. It's kinda jarring when they're so fuzzy relative to the game's image quality...

It is silly how little effort is being put into this.

Some cameo costumes and MORE HATS.

I doubt any of the gameplay systems will actually get changed.

Rhapsody

Banned
It is silly how little effort is being put into this.

Some cameo costumes and MORE HATS.

I doubt any of the gameplay systems will actually get changed.

They could've done so much for this but they chose not to :-/

It's disappointing really. I'm mostly getting this just because of PS2 version with no slowdown and dual audio.
I wasn't expecting gameplay changes (how many HD ports change gameplay?), but I was expecting some cleaner textures, at least on character models.

I would've liked some small changes like 4 shortcuts and such. It's true that not a lot of HD ports add a lot, but I did like how KH and WW HD tried to add some things for convenience sake.

Soriku

lmao the Lloyd face.

Some shots look good...when not blown up. IDK I thought ToS looked good, in HD and on an actual TV it'll be better.

Celcius

°Temp. member
They're not going to redo the artwork for the battle character portraits or the HUD?
I've gotta admit, seeing the heads on those Rita & Judith costumes makes me cringe.

TEJ

ToS might not have the best combat out of the 3D tales of titles but it does have the best dungeons.

the dungeons in xillia and graces were flat out awful.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Uhhh...

Yeah, I think I'll just wait for the English version this time. I dunno. I wish they'd gone further with something for Symphonia's 10th anniversary than a mere remaster with extra bells and whistles.

(I say that now... I always say that... and yet...)

I've probably played through this game like 10 times and haven't played it for like half a decade at the least.

Even if there aren't too many big improvements, I have the feeling I'll end up buying it anyways...

FSLink

Banned
Eh, it looks better than some of the other cameo outfits we've seen so far at least. (Looking at you, Luke-Genis...)

I'm not really a fan of the new cut-ins, they feel out of place with the not so great graphics, haha.

Top Bottom