• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

PKrockin

This is just a RANDOM BATTLE with NO SPELLS onscreen. I don't even want to see a fight from later in the game when there are like three spells going on at once.

Please let this be the reason it's been delayed

Amir0x

Banned
Synless said:
Yeah, but wouldn't playing it without 3d make it run better? I mean, those videos are taken in 2d mode are they not?

That's up to the developer. It doesn't automatically happen.

Aeana

Here, I wrote up a summary of the interview.

- They know that people want more Tales games in English, but time and money get in the way. Yoshizumi says that they have taken steps to try to alleviate this problem, and hopefully we can now look forward to seeing more Tales games worldwide.
- 3DS cart size proved to be a challenge for fitting everything on there, particularly voice data was an obstacle but he says he feels like they solved this while keeping the quality high.
- "Every part of the game, with the exception of the animated cut-scenes, has been redone in 3D." Yoshizumi thinks this makes the game seem more real than before. More immersive
- They had to rebuild the character models to improve performance, but the rest of the game has been ported over seamlessly.
- They made a few changes to "in-game parameters" to compensate for control differences, but other than that there aren't any new additions. No new weapons or artes.
- No communication (StreetPass, etc.) features.
- They've talked about a sequel to Abyss, but haven't yet come up with something that would be good enough for a full game.
- There will be more information about Graces F soon.
- Yoshizumi says he appreciates the comments he receives on Twitter from worldwide fans, and he hopes that more Tales games can make it over in the future.

Paracelsus

Amir0x said:
That's up to the developer. It doesn't automatically happen.

No, wait: I went under the assumption that every game was like DoA and SFIV, are you telling me it doesn't work that way? I was planning to buy a 3DS early next year without ever using 3D (I can't see it anyway), but this is pretty bad news for me.

What a sensible!?! thing for Namco to do.

I will just need to get a 3ds now I guess. Probably with this game release then.

Now more Graces news!

Kandinsky

Xilium said:
Usually I'm a fan of remakes but the original game came out only 5 years ago. Is this really something to get excited about?

Also, the complete 360 between how people react to PSP/NGP ports/remakes and how they react to 3DS ports/remakes is always a joy to watch.
Man im sick of this, why dont you people start naming names ffs.

Edit: about the actual news, cool i guess.

Splinter Cell... LOOK OUT!

Synless said:
If the 3DS is supposed to be more powerful than the PS2 (it is isn't it?), why the hell did they have to redo the character models to get the game to run better? I am assuming they downgraded them by the sound of it.
Because it's a port, and ports are always that fucked up? I'm pretty sure a Tales 3DS developed from the ground up could look and play just as good as Graces.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
Here, I wrote up a summary of the interview.

- They know that people want more Tales games in English, but time and money get in the way. Yoshizumi says that they have taken steps to try to alleviate this problem, and hopefully we can now look forward to seeing more Tales games worldwide.
- 3DS cart size proved to be a challenge for fitting everything on there, particularly voice data was an obstacle but he says he feels like they solved this while keeping the quality high.
- "Every part of the game, with the exception of the animated cut-scenes, has been redone in 3D." Yoshizumi thinks this makes the game seem more real than before. More immersive
- They had to rebuild the character models to improve performance, but the rest of the game has been ported over seamlessly.
- They made a few changes to "in-game parameters" to compensate for control differences, but other than that there aren't any new additions. No new weapons or artes.
- No communication (StreetPass, etc.) features.
- They've talked about a sequel to Abyss, but haven't yet come up with something that would be good enough for a full game.
- There will be more information about Graces F soon.
- Yoshizumi says he appreciates the comments he receives on Twitter from worldwide fans, and he hopes that more Tales games can make it over in the future.

Thanks for the summary.

So it's really a port with no extra content eh?. Not really impressed by the performance so far from that video. Hoping it's an old build. Really not sold on this if there is no extra content.

KingK

Awesome. 3DS is sounding pretty appealing to me so far. I still can't really afford it, but as soon as the first price drop hits, I'll get one for sure.

Amir0x

Banned
Paracelsus said:
No, wait: I went under the assumption that every game was like DoA and SFIV, are you telling me it doesn't work that way? I was planning to buy a 3DS early next year without ever using 3D (I can't see it anyway), but this is pretty bad news for me.

No. How would it work that way? The developer has to consciously program the game so that it receives the benefits of turning off 3D. Namco might have chosen to have parity between 2D and 3D modes.

Ridley327

Paracelsus said:
It varies pretty wildly; you obviously have extreme examples like DOA and SSF4 where there's a massive framerate difference between the two modes, and there's games like Super Monkey Ball and Steel Diver that are 60 fps in 2D or 3D. It really does come down to how well you program.

It's something that's bound to improve as more devs get familiar with the hardware, but I doubt TotA is going to be one of those games.

Aeana

Oops, there's more.

- Yoshizumi promises that the load times have been reduced significantly, and also says that they should be able to deliver a steadier framerate (I think he's talking about the world map in specific here)
- Confirms that skits will remain unvoiced in this version.

Instro

Aeana said:

Looks like its already time for Nintendo to up the size limit.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
Oops, there's more.

- Yoshizumi promises that the load times have been reduced significantly, and also says that they should be able to deliver a steadier framerate (I think he's talking about the world map in specific here)

UGH :( Scamco All right!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Now THIS is a confirmation I can get behind!
I wouldn't mind another big RPG hitting the 3DS this summer!

Regarding the whole ToGF thing, I think the fact that they STILL are mum on platform is, in and of itself, very suspicious. I don't doubt that the PS3 version is coming, but I suspect it won't come alone.

PKrockin

Vamphuntr said:
UGH :( Scamco All right!

I don't really care about the skits. There's too many of them and they're not as good as Vesperia's. It's too costly to bring the cast back after five years anyway; we'd definitely never see the game outside Japan.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Mejilan said:
Regarding the whole ToGF thing, I think the fact that they STILL are mum on platform is, in and of itself, very suspicious. I don't doubt that the PS3 version is coming, but I suspect it won't come alone.

Typical Namco.

Vamphuntr

PKrockin said:
I don't really care about the skits. There's too many of them and they're not as good as Vesperia's. It's too costly to bring the cast back after five years anyway; we'd definitely never see the game outside Japan.

I disagree, I enjoyed the one in Abyss more. Jade <3

Paracelsus

Amir0x said:
No. How would it work that way? The developer has to consciously program the game so that it receives the benefits of turning off 3D. Namco might have chosen to have parity between 2D and 3D modes.

I see

It varies pretty wildly; you obviously have extreme examples like DOA and SSF4 where there's a massive framerate difference between the two modes, and there's games like Super Monkey Ball and Steel Diver that are 60 fps in 2D or 3D. It really does come down to how well you program.

The fact there are 60fps 3D games already is reassuring enough for me, thanks.

People are fearing they are backporting content on Wii and only releasing that version in NA. It sounds laughable but it's been 6 years since start of gen and PS3 still hasn't got a single Tales in NA, so you never know.

Aeana

Reuniting the original cast shouldn't be too difficult since they're probably using the same actors in Graces F
and every other game they're localizing.

Thoraxes

Anyone have a link to Yoshizumi's twitter so I can send him a message of thanks? I just want to keep up the support and encouragement to keep them coming over here!

PKrockin

Vamphuntr said:
I disagree, I enjoyed the one in Abyss more. Jade <3

Oh, and add to that it'll create even worse storage limitation problems. It's pretty reasonable to not go through all that trouble.

What isn't reasonable to expect is horrid framerates when the PS2 ran the game at 60FPS.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
Reuniting the original cast shouldn't be too difficult since they're probably using the same actors in Graces F
and every other game they're localizing.

Johnny Young Bosch in Tales of Graces F then. I'm sure you're thrilled about it.

Aeana

Vamphuntr said:
Johnny Young Bosch in Tales of Graces F then. I'm sure you're thrilled about it.
I'm just hoping he isn't voicing Asbel.
That's the last thing I need right now, JYB shouting "I WILL PROTECT YOU" for 40 hours.

B.K.

Vamphuntr said:

Everyone loves Johnny Yong Bosch! If I was in charge of a RPG localization, I would cast him to voice every character! Even the female characters!

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
That's the last thing I need right now, JYB shouting "I WILL PROTECT YOU" for 40 hours.

You're going to jinx it :(

B.K. said:
Everyone loves Johnny Yong Bosch! If I was in charge of a RPG localization, I would cast him to voice every character! Even the female characters!

Nolan North is slowly catching up.

Rpgmonkey

Wouldn't Yuri Lowenthal be the most logical candidate for Asbel?

PKrockin said:
Oh, and add to that it'll create even worse storage limitation problems. It's pretty reasonable to not go through all that trouble.

Japanese version has them voiced, so I think it's more about time and money, not space. :p

Shame they won't take this second chance at voiced skits, but oh well.

Zierath

Aeana said:
That would be the worst thing. I'm going to have nightmares about this now.

vall03

Aeana said:
Aren't they being generous... But I wonder what these "steps" are... but as long as Tales games from here on out get localized, I wont complain...

Aeana said:
Oops, there's more.

Does he say if this only applies to the NA version? Or will they actually take out the voices in the Japanese version? I really hope it's only in the US version >_<

Aeana

InternHertz said:
Does he say if this only applies to the NA version? Or will they actually take out the voices in the Japanese version? I really hope it's only in the US version >_<
Yes, it only applies to the NA version.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
Ugh, same here. I don't think I'd be able to take it. I like JYB, but I really don't want to hear him say that line ad nauseam.

I'm far too used to Takahiro Sakurai's voice coming out of Asbel's mouth at this point as well.

Thanks for the interview info, Aeana.

Thanks for the info Aeana.

Glad to hear they're smoothing out the world map and of course loading times are being minimised. All that will go to waste though if the battles aren't smooth like the original, so here's hoping that is given the same level of attention.

Unvoiced skits is disappointing but exactly what I expected (a step back though since Vesperia and Symphonia Wii addressed the issue). Hopefully they let you SUPER speed up the skits then, it's a nightmare how slowly they move when unvoiced.

Luigiv

Ridley327 said:

It's something that's bound to improve as more devs get familiar with the hardware, but I doubt TotA is going to be one of those games.
SSFIV is an interesting case because it actually runs in 3 separate IQ modes. 2D 60FPS no AA, 3D 30FPS no AA and 2D 30FPS 2xAA.

For what it's worth 2D 60FPS actually requires more resources then 3D 30FPS, so I would not expect it as a standard feature. On the other hand doubling the AA in 2D at the same framerate is cheaper then 3D, so there is no excuse for devs not to use it when framerate doubling is not employed.

Diebuster

So no new content? That's disappointing, but probably still worth a double-dip for the improved loadtimes and framerate alone.

Seda

Diebuster said:
So no new content? That's disappointing, but probably still worth a double-dip for the improved loadtimes and framerate alone.

Hopefully the battle framerate is better than what was shown in that lineup video.

Top Bottom