• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss 3DS Confirmed for NA by Nintendo Power

Persona7

Banned
You expect something like this to have MORE content than the original but it kinda sucks that they had a hard time fitting the original game on the cart.

Seda

Kagari said:
Hopefully sooner than later. I stopped my Japanese version playthrough about 25 hours in... not sure if I should finish or wait.

How long is Tales of Graces F? I know it's significantly longer than Graces vanilla.

What I'm getting at is that usually Tales games are quite long (especially Symphonia team games) and I'm not sure how far in 25 hours actually is.

Aeana

Seda said:
How long is Tales of Graces F? I know it's significantly longer than Graces vanilla.

What I'm getting at is that usually Tales games are quite long (especially Symphonia team games) and I'm not sure how far in 25 hours actually is.
I beat the main game in about 40 hours. From what I hear, the extra stuff is about 10 hours more.

Foffy

Banned
Jeels said:
Hopefully either Graces or this are summer titles.

This seems like a good summer game. I have no clue when Graces is coming. They shouldn't let it compete with Dark Souls, which will probably be their major fall title.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Seda said:

I'm about 1/2 through the main story, then there's the Future arc, which is the new content.

Aeana

Roto13 said:
Well, that's nice and all, but that still leaves like a hundred Tales games that aren't getting North American releases. :p
You asked for "a" Tales game that hasn't been released in North America!

PKrockin

Roto13 said:
Well, that's nice and all, but that still leaves like a hundred Tales games that aren't getting North American releases. :p

Well unless you mean Innocence or Hearts, they're just poor spinoff games from what I hear, so..

Seda

Roto13 said:

Oh there's not thaaaat many not announced worth getting.

Just Tales of Hearts.

and maybe Radiant Mythology 2 or 3 if they've improved since the first.

Vesperia's at least out in some form.

Innocence (and VS) are supposedly pretty weak.

PKrockin said:
Well unless you mean Innocence or Hearts, they're just poor spinoff games from what I hear, so..

Hearts is supposedly really good

Jeels

Foffy said:
This seems like a good summer game. I have no clue when Graces is coming. They shouldn't let it compete with Dark Souls, which will probably be their major fall title.

Graces honestly would have been a good June title with Catherine, White Knight, and Disgaea in July, August, and September, but that doesn't look like its happening with so little information.

Aeana

Hearts is good. I wouldn't say "really good," though. Still, it's better than some of the ones that have come out in English.

kiryogi

Banned
Seda said:

Future arc is an additional 5-10 hours give or take depending on your pace.

Re :Hearts - its a solid game but nothing blockbuster. The best handheld effort for a fullfledged title next to NDX.

Bizzyb

Banned
Persona7 said:
You expect something like this to have MORE content than the original but it kinda sucks that they had a hard time fitting the original game on the cart.

They put RE2 on an N64 cart, and that game had TONS of voice work and fmvs. I don't think they had that hard of a time. If anything the voice overs and videos were the culprits and even then they have pretty good compression technology nowadays, much better than what we had during the N64 days

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
NotebookJ2 said:
Nobody remembers Tempest, lol.
You shouldn't be forced to.

Edit: Innocence wasn't that bad. Hearts was good, and Narikiri Dungeon X was pretty great too. Hope they continue down this route for future Tales titles on portables.

Rpgmonkey

PKrockin said:

Innocence felt like a game used as filler for some "Tales quota" and wasn't anything to really talk about, but Hearts felt like they really tried to take handhelds seriously for once. I think it's totally worth localizing/trying.

I think they tried to get whatever they could out of the rather outdated/limited resources they had available, and managed to get some pretty impressive results. After it and NDX, I hope they keep going with this line of "major" handheld Tales games with the 3DS and/or NGP, it's gotten a lot better since Tempest.

Yay, finally we get confirmation that Tales of the Abyss is coming to North America. I have never played a Tales game and have trouble getting into RPG’s unless I devote all of my attention to them, so I am definitely going to try with this game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wish Graces would come sooner, can't wait for it.

Though the story is pretty generic, it's got good characterization and a battle system right?

Aeana

ULTROS! said:

Though the story is pretty generic, it's got good characterization and a battle system right?
Graces? It has one of the best combat systems in the series (my personal favorite, although Rebirth's gives it a run for its money). Characters, erm... well, I guess they're not bad. I think most people like them more than I do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:

Depending on the day, Graces and Rebirth exchange places on my scale for "best Tales battle system". Most people probably consider Graces to be better, though. I generally prefer the Team Destiny battle systems to Team Symphonia's, at least.

Characters are alright. Nothing truly special or out-there. I didn't really dislike any of them. There are probably three characters I really liked, I think, but that could be attributed to the quality of the voice acting.

woahjeez

Banned
I think the reason they refuse to announce a Wii version of Tales of Graces F is because it isn't actually coming to Wii. Instead they are waiting for e3 to announce it for whatever the successor ends up being called

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Interesting, thanks. As long as there's no annoying Arietta, Anise, and Luke-like characters I'll be totally fine.

Though I hope Xillia comes soon in English, a lot of people say Xillia looks definitely interesting (my brother who's not a Tales fan wants Xillia).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
woahjeez said:
I think the reason they refuse to announce a Wii version of Tales of Graces F is because it isn't actually coming to Wii. Instead they are waiting for e3 to announce it for whatever the successor ends up being called

It already looks like a badly upscaled good looking Wii game on the PS3, I'd hate to think of what it'd look like on a more powerful system.

Aeana

Man God said:
It already looks like a badly upscaled good looking Wii game on the PS3, I'd hate to think of what it'd look like on a more powerful system.
I think it looks pretty great on PS3.

Good news for people who want the 3DS version. I'll stick with my PS2 copy that has no bad load times :p

woahjeez said:

Cafe is releasing past April 2012...ToGF will definitely be out before then.

Besides that, porting ToGF to a totally new console like the Cafe over the Wii (or even the 360) would be stupid.

ULTROS! said:
Interesting, thanks. As long as there's no annoying Arietta, Anise, and Luke-like characters I'll be totally fine.

Though I hope Xillia comes soon in English, a lot of people say Xillia looks definitely interesting (my brother who's not a Tales fan wants Xillia).

Jute seems to be the most intriguging main character of the series and the artsyle is hot, thus far.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
I think it looks pretty great on PS3.

It reminds me a lot of the NMH ports; parts of it look fantastic while other bits look cheap and out of place. Luckily for both of those games that they have a decent art style to begin with.

Thoraxes

rpmurphy said:
Oh delicious, delicious Tear, how i've missed you.

Also, the battles look a ton better in this video.
I'm willing to bet the stuff in the Nintendo compilation trailer was probably just old footage from last year or sometime close to TGS when the title was still under more heavy development, and you know, even farther from launch.

I know they can't be that stupid to release a game with a battle system that barely runs at all.
Lets forget whatever happened with Graces though; they fixed that.

PKrockin

rpmurphy said:

Wow, the framerate is much better in that video. Strangely enough it has the exact same clip of Luke performing Lightning Tiger Blade, but at a much better framerate. What the heck?

Something else I noticed: At 1:48 Guy is running a LOT slower than he should be. I wonder if they nerfed Free Run?

Oh, and the Mystic Artes seem to have different (inferior) effects... check out the end of Brilliant Overlord.

Sagitario

This is the final game that justified me getting a 3DS for sure THIS year :D

PKrockin said:
Oh, and the Mystic Artes seem to have different (inferior) effects... check out the end of Brilliant Overlord.

It has been a while since I last played TotA, but I didn't notice anything major.

Too bad about no voices skits or any extras (scenes, skits, artes, sidequests, etc.), understandable since this is almost a direct port, but still... it would have been nice.

That looks nice. I just bought Abyss for PS2 recently, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I should just unload it and pick up the 3DS version when it hits.

kiryogi

Banned
Seeing that PV has me hyped. Sigh @ region lock. gonna be at least 300-400 to play this. But at least have my preorder down.

On a fun note for domestic fans. Had a chance to met Stephanie Sheh last weekend. Upon a fan mentioning her role as Natalia, she commented if they knew about the Namdai having the anime here and that the fans should make a fuss so that they'll dub it. Amusing quip. XD

Top Bottom