• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Comes out today in NA! Remind me, were there any fixes or enhancements in the PAL version over the JP version? All I know is that there are less load times over the PS2 original, but wasn't it reported that the JP 3DS version had frame issues? Or did I imagine that?

Edit: lol didn't notice it was already bumped today. XD

B.K.

gamestop here only got 3 (for the 3 ppl that preordered). I probably should preorder graces f as well eh?

I haven't gone and picked mine up yet, but last night, I was told they only had two copies. One was mine and the other was another preorder. I'm glad I preordered when I did. I had a feeling that the game was going to be hard to find.

oh shit. Noticed this game had club nintendo points.

Don't recall many 3rd party nintendo games that have those... o_O.

"Let's go! Miu~ Miu~ Miu~" should be the OT description for NA version ;)

Randdalf

Not terribly interested at all in getting this but I looked it up on Amazon UK anyway, and it's going for £50! Is this normal strategy when selling games with a short print run for Amazon (it's much cheaper on other sites)?

Thoraxes

Not terribly interested at all in getting this but I looked it up on Amazon UK anyway, and it's going for £50! Is this normal strategy when selling games with a short print run for Amazon (it's much cheaper on other sites)?

Those are from resellers and not amazon themselves if i'm not mistaken.

Basically, it's people who bought the game and then are reselling it for more money.

hamchan

Should just move this thread back to gaming for a while. Why should NA get their own special new thread for their late releases :-/

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Should just move this thread back to gaming for a while. Why should NA get their own special new thread for their late releases :-/

Just PM one of the mods to move it then.

The PALland quote in the title makes it seem like this is more centered on a EU release, so I'd recommend changing that at least.

Luigiv

Just PM one of the mods to move it then.

The PALland quote in the title makes it seem like this is more centered on a EU release, so I'd recommend changing that at least.

My intention wasn't for this to be an PAL specific OT but I just went with the PALland quote because we were getting it "first". Either way this thread isn't going to move unless someone asks a mod which I'm not going to do personally. I do think 2 OT's is a little excessive though, given this one was barely used but I won't stop you if you want to make a new one.

alazz

Picked it up. Happy that my gamestop even had (the salesman was very surprised it had come out already). Never played it before and I see all this talk about faqs. I don't like spoiling stuff, but is the game really that obtuse?

The 3D is bad. barely even notice it. Kind of disappointed.

PKrockin

Picked it up. Happy that my gamestop even had (the salesman was very surprised it had come out already). Never played it before and I see all this talk about faqs. I don't like spoiling stuff, but is the game really that obtuse?

The 3D is bad. barely even notice it. Kind of disappointed.

You will probably need a sidequest guide if you want to 100% the game as it has a lot of missable quests that don't warn you. If you're just going through the game or want to 100% it on the second run (100% is impossible on the first), you probably won't need a walkthrough.

Rikkun

Hey people, I finally bought the game from amazon and currently waiting for the shipping..

How do I know if it's a reprint?

Yes I'm in yurop sorry it took so long to buy the game :\

Ultratech

The enemies aren't designed well enough to deal with it. You can run circles around almost all of them with no real fear of retaliation.

Yup. Sword Dancer is the best example of this. You can literally run circles around him while your other party members wail on him from range with spells. Done right, he won't even touch you.

How's the world map in this game? Is it worth exploring and shit?

Just wondering because I picked this up solely because I was in the mood for a more classic-styled JRPG, and I want to just explore the shit out of everything.

Yup. Sword Dancer is the best example of this. You can literally run circles around him while your other party members wail on him from range with spells. Done right, he won't even touch you.

oh... you can? You would still keep 'agro'?

Just took out arietta... where was sword dancer again?

PKrockin

The whole "just circle enemies with Free Run" thing doesn't work out so well in boss fights against multiple enemies, I've found. In fact in that case it tends to get my party killed as I dink around with that one foe accomplishing nothing.

How's the world map in this game? Is it worth exploring and shit?

Just wondering because I picked this up solely because I was in the mood for a more classic-styled JRPG, and I want to just explore the shit out of everything.

Not really, it's more focused on the story and battles than exploration.

oh... you can? You would still keep 'agro'?

Just took out arietta... where was sword dancer again?

Downstairs, in Choral Castle. IIRC you should see him on your way out near the save point. Can't miss him.

The whole "just circle enemies with Free Run" thing doesn't work out so well in boss fights against multiple enemies, I've found. In fact in that case it tends to get my party killed as I dink around with that one foe accomplishing nothing.

Not really, it's more focused on the story and battles than exploration.

Downstairs, in Choral Castle. IIRC you should see him on your way out near the save point. Can't miss him.

ahhh warped out lol. guess I could come back lol.

alazz

Aaag, I accidentally closed this this morning and lost my progress. Maybe two levels and a lot of dialogue. I was on my way to Choral Castle.

I like the characters so far. Luke isn't nearly as annoying now, but Tear, Guy, and Anise are hilarious.

Is the duration of a FOF related to its diameter?

Verelios

Wow, 4 hours in and I have to say this is a freaking great port, of a wonderful game. For all the people who are on the fence about it, I'd really advise you to get it.

I had a little trouble with the Liger Queen, which took about 20 minutes to beat (hard mode), but other than that its just been an awesome ride so far. Loving the stable frame rate in battle too.

PKrockin

Was this a really understocked game in the US? Just noticed amazon has it as out of stock and they don't know when they'll get more.

It's understocked, but I don't know by how much. If you're planning on picking it up at a brick and mortar store I would call ahead just to be sure.

Sora_N

I finally got mine in the mail this morning, thanks to Best Buy shipping it out a few days late and my mailman being a retard.

The game is beautiful, I never got to play the PS2 one so very glad I'm able to play this now...and on the go too!

Frost_Ace

Picked this game up few days ago and started it now. The jaggies are there but don't bother me that much; the NPC models on the other hand...ugh.

Totally forgot how much I loved this game. Can't believe it's already been almost 6 years since I played it last. Only an hour in, but revisiting it in 3D is definitely awesome.

Sagitario

wtf at swordmaster or whatever its name is

wiped out my whole party

You don't have to fight it the first time you encounter him, that's common in Tales games.
You can come back and defeat him later, but beware because if you don't beat him before certain [story] point, you will miss him forever (and the quests derived from that fight).

Hobbun

I started playing this last night. I’m actually enjoying the story more than the combat
although Luke is an annoying, whiny, fucking spoiled brat. Hope to God he gets better
. The combat isn’t bad, but I think it’s because I really haven’t gotten the moves down yet.

Do your HP’s and TP’s regen naturally at the end of combat? Was hoping they didn’t, I think it makes it a little too easy to just keep going without having to rest.

Do your HP’s and TP’s regen naturally at the end of combat? Was hoping they didn’t, I think it makes it a little too easy to just keep going without having to rest.

It's slight regen that can only be increased with meals ( consummables ).

Don't worry that small regen won't get you far in the later levels. you can keep going forever if you're overpowered and even then there will be some places where you'll have trouble if you wander unprepared.

And besides resting is an important step if you wish to sidequest ( as many start at inns )

You'll rest a lot if you wish to 100% this game.

Hobbun

It's slight regen that can only be increased with meals ( consummables ).

Don't worry that small regen won't get you far in the later levels. you can keep going forever if you're overpowered and even then there will be some places where you'll have trouble if you wander unprepared.

And besides resting is an important step if you wish to sidequest ( as many start at inns )

You'll rest a lot if you wish to 100% this game.

Ok, that's good. Thanks.

Also, I've heard you can learn new Artes by performing previous artes, or a combination of them, a certain number of times. Is this true? Or do you only learn them when you level?

Alrix

Been pretty sucked into this game, I'm really liking the story and characters. I'm at the part where
I beat Van and now I'm just getting the party back together to investigate the core or whatever, plus the god generals are still alive omg :O! Also I'm a fan of Luke's character development. Cutting his hair to turn over a new leaf? Garnet did it first!

The gameplay is average and sometimes can start to feel button mash-y, but it'll do. It is a PS2 game after all. During boss fights it's not so bad,
when I fought Legretta/Largo/Arietta I managed to beat Largo and Legretta 2v1 thanks to kiting, it was actually kinda cool. I also enjoyed fighting Van.

Also the sound...the music is decent most of the time but
It was pretty awesome at the absorption gate when I went to fight Van
. Voice acting is fine too.

This is my third tales game after Symphonia and Vesperia (Legendia and Symphonia 2 are in my backlog, plus planning on buying Graces f) and it hasn't disappointed. Solid ass game.

PS: Everyone is starting to use mystic artes except me. How do? also what is this ENH stat?

PKrockin

PS: Everyone is starting to use mystic artes except me. How do? also what is this ENH stat?

For Luke, Guy, Natalia, and Anise, hold the Attack or Arte button while doing an Arcane Arte while in overlimit (I never remember which button it is so I just hold them both). For Tear and Jade, just do a High Spell or Fonic Hymn in overlimit.

ENH stands for Enhancement. It just lets you learn more skills.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Been playing this as well between Kid Icarus sessions.

Just got to the first Sword Dancer fight at Chorus Castle and wiped several times. I'll come back later, hopefully I won't miss out though.

More I play the more I am pleased by the port as well. Really glad the world map was relegated to the bottom screen at a certain point, and even the 3D effect is kinda nice in certain situations.

The difficulty is off though. Normal is way too easy, while Hard gives enemies far too much strength and HP. I keep switching back and forth, but Hard really lengthens battle times to the point of tedium unfortunately. The system isn't really built for solid defense mechanics as each match is a grueling attrition battle. With a proper parry and guard mechanics in place, this could be fantastic.

Still, good stuff.

Alrix

For Luke, Guy, Natalia, and Anise, hold the Attack or Arte button while doing an Arcane Arte while in overlimit (I never remember which button it is so I just hold them both). For Tear and Jade, just do a High Spell or Fonic Hymn in overlimit.

ENH stands for Enhancement. It just lets you learn more skills.

sweet. thanks brah.

Alrix

Just finished the game, thoughts:

I really enjoyed the characters. They were the best part of the game, imo. The story was fine, the gameplay average Tales stuff (a little old, obviously) but overall I enjoyed it. I was hoping it was going to get into Luke and Tear more than Tear just saying "Luke...I love you.." at the end, but I guess that wasn't something they were too concerned with. In any case I liked the characters as a group more than I did for Vesperia, I think. Although it's been a while since I played ToV. Jade was fuckin awesome.

Part 3 was kind of a drag to play through, just backtracking and revisiting all the old areas and going from city to city just to talk to someone. It kinda felt like they were just trying to extend the length of the game at that point. Overall solid game, not great and not bad, but the characters were definitely the strong point.

Korosenai

I'm really thinking about getting this game off amazon.

I've never really been a fan of jrpg's, but I really want a good rpg for my 3ds. Should I get it?

Alrix

I'm really thinking about getting this game off amazon.

I've never really been a fan of jrpg's, but I really want a good rpg for my 3ds. Should I get it?

Have you played any other Tales games? They're a little different from the traditional JRPG.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Just got a 3DS yesterday and was thinking about picking this up... but I'm curious -- is there anything preferable about the PS2 version over this one? Other than being able to play on a TV, of course.

Top Bottom