• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of the Abyss [3DS] |OT| "The wait better be worth it!" - PALland

Get a picture up mo fo!
I'm dying to see the packaging :lol

0PPaQ.jpg

BxH6F.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Doesn't that cover spoil a plot point in the game?

Also NoA and Namco Bandai, you suck.

FSLink

Banned
A question for someone who has it or who's going to have it, is the 30FPS in battles a big deal to someone who's also played the PS2 version a lot? It's one of the things that made Symphonia PS2 vastly inferior to Symphonia GC to me despite the PS2 port having extra content (though to be fair that port also had downgraded graphics and horrible horrible load times, sometimes worse than Abyss PS2)

Zafir

Doesn't that cover spoil a plot point in the game?

Also NoA and Namco Bandai, you suck.

Not from what I can see?

The blurb on the back summarises what happened a good couple of years in the past, before the game started. If that's what you were on about.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not from what I can see?

The blurb on the back summarises what happened a good couple of years in the past, before the game started. If that's what you were on about.

I'm talking about the front cover
A person just starting the game for the first time would wonder why a character on the cover looks like the main character.

Zafir

A person just starting the game for the first time would wonder why a character on the cover looks like the main character.
Ah, I guess it spoils the surprise from when he appears, true. I dunno whether many people would think that far into it, mind.

matmanx1

I envy you PAL folks. I had sorely wanted ToA 3DS as my winter RPG fix on a handheld but thanks to the delay in NA that isn't happening. Great game though. I look forward to playing it in February.

Peff

You wouldn't know who the replica is, though. Plus you meet him several times before the reveal anyways, which happens pretty early on (Akzeriuth, was it?)

Ydahs

Game is out in Australia. Got my brother to pick me up a copy :D

I will probably only spend a couple of hours on it since I want to complete Mario 3D Land first.

FSLink

Banned

Not really a spoiler, since it's pretty hard to tell they look THAT similar at least at first glance due to the angles. Even if they thought they looked really similar, they wouldn't guess the replica plot. Plus, the PS2 Japanese cover had Asch on it too and most people didn't guess that based off of just the cover alone.

Zafir

Just received my copy through the post. Kind of sad that even the UK box has the french text on it.

It has quickstart in other languages, but english only for the rest.

After noticing I had money to spare for another game this week i've spent all morning deliberating between Kirby wii and Tales of the abyss.
I've decided on Abyss since i've never played it, hoping this was the right choice. I enjoyed Symphonia, Vesperia and even Dawn of the new world so I expect good things.

redlemon

After noticing I had money to spare for another game this week i've spent all morning deliberating between Kirby wii and Tales of the abyss.
I've decided on Abyss since i've never played it, hoping this was the right choice. I enjoyed Symphonia, Vesperia and even Dawn of the new world so I expect good things.

If you enjoyed all of those you'll definitely enjoy Abyss. Tales games are more hit and miss for me and I still enjoyed it a lot.

Game sent me this yesterday so hoping it'll be waiting for me when I get home. Looking forward to adding this to my backlog of games to get through after I finish Skyward Sword and finish off Xenoblade.

Sadist

Do you know what stores? I pre-ordered it at gamemania, but no text yet and it doesnt even have a boxart on the site.
Yup, Game Mania (nationwide, the salesclerk told me after phoning headquarters) won't receive it until Tuesday.

The game has a Club Nintendo code btw. I assume there has to be some kind of Nintendo involvement with the game?!
Nah, Nintendo distributed games are always available at launch. Kirby and Layton for instance are available today.

Edit: Club Nintendo code? Sweet.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The game has a Club Nintendo code btw. I assume there has to be some kind of Nintendo involvement with the game?!

Every PAL 3DS title has a Club Nintendo code.

I'll pick my copy after the classes - hope they have at least one copy on stock, shipment seems to be really low, this game will be rare in a couple of weeks.

Aru

boo0urns, Bandai-Namco Holland didn't ship the title to certain stores. Uggh.

It seems this is the case in France too. I checked a local store and its website, they told me they didn't receive the game and that maybe they would have it next week. Amazon.fr is sold out.
I want to buy it from a specific retailer, so I just hope they'll get the game.

Sadist

It seems this is the case in France too. I checked a local store and its website, they told me they didn't receive the game and that maybe they would have it next week. Amazon.fr is sold out.
I want to buy it from a specific retailer, so I just hope they'll get the game.
That's a shame. And this is why I'm buying this game day one (or day + 4) because in a year this title will be very hard to find. Went to another retailer here and when I asked for the game, he looked at me and thought I was pulling his leg. He never heard of game called "Tales of the... what did you say?"

Tuesday? :S

Wtf.

Guess I'll wait then. Want that 15 euro discount.

Fuck you Banda-Namco.
Indeed. Media Markt has it though.

Zafir

It's also why it won't sell nearly as much as Bamco want it to. That and the lack of marketing anyway.

I really need to learn japanese.

MLH

So I guess this is a limited printing, none of the big supermarkets are stocking this and Amazon was too pricey (£35 no thanks).
I ordered from Bee.com (£28.99 -6% from quidco) but it is still awaiting dispatch. Hopefully they get some copies since it is the cheapest I've found.

Zafir

Can someone tell me if the graphics are on par with the original and if there have been any downgrades?
Hard to say since I'm not used to playing the original PS2 version as close as I play the 3DS version. There's noticable jagged edges on the 3DS version. I recall the PS2 version having some too, mind you.

However, the loading times and the frame rate is far better on the 3DS version. So personally, I think that makes up for it.

Can someone tell me if the graphics are on par with the original and if there have been any downgrades?

From what I've seen, the graphics are identical. And as for the "jaggies", they were just as bad on the PS2 version (actually if anything, they'd be worse since they were blown up on a big TV; plus it ran in sub SD resolution. It was always pretty poor, image quality wise)

Still need to pick this up mind you though...

Top Bottom