• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia Review Thread | More JRPGS? Yay!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Wait, there are other people who dislike Ni no Kuni around here?

So I didn't have to stick my Ni no Kuni skewering elsewhere and could've posted it in that game's OT? Why didn't anyone tell me this? D:

wrowa

Did they make any changes to the supposedly broken multiplayer battles of the Japanese version? I love playing Tales games -- but only when I can play them together with my gf and a cousin of mine. It's become a tradition for us to play those games together and we always have a really great time doing so.

When Abyss 3D came out I realized that I really don't enjoy Tales games on my own anymore, so if Xillia is broken in that regard it would be honestly be a deal-breaker for me.

Toki767

So I didn't have to stick my Ni no Kuni skewering elsewhere and could've posted it in that game's OT? Why didn't anyone tell me this? D:

I suppose once a game gets moved to Community, it's safe to say how you really feel. :p

You guys reminded me that I had Ni No Kuni sealed on my shelf for months now. I really ought to get around to playing that. It'll have to wait until after Xillia, and about another dozen games in my backlog.

Why? Go Play Ni No Kuni first.

Granted, I haven't played this, but I found Ni No Kuni far better than any of the recent Tales games I've played (Vesperia, Graces F). It also looks a lot better visually.

Anyways, back on topic: How does this compare to Graces F in terms of flow? Graces F was had too many fetch quests for me, is this any better?

TraBuch

Banned
I'm finding Ni No Kuni to be kinda..dull so far. I'm not far into it (Just beat the guardian of the second forest), but besides the art style, it hasn't really drawn me in.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyways, back on topic: How does this compare to Graces F in terms of flow? Graces F was had too many fetch quests for me, is this any better?
Still more fetch quests. A lot of the sidequests are essentially "kill this thing for me", "get this item for me", "talk to this person", etc.

I guess in terms of pacing, because Xillia's more designed and streamlined to take advantage of its narrative, it's better than Graces f in that regard.

I suppose once a game gets moved to Community, it's safe to say how you really feel. :p
Well, I wrote those impressions a month ago, so I guess it's not really worth it to cross-post.

But I did have a ton of issues with the game when all was said and done. Those issues just added up and made the experience a poor Level 5 experience overall. They should really stick to puzzle games and visual novels. That's what they excel at. Their systems are never cohesive/tend to be half-baked and repetitive.

SkylineRKR

Ni No Kuni starts off great but its as if Gibli withdrew their support after the opening chapter.

Its a run of the mill Level 5 RPG, with that very same kind of story and progression. Very safe, and by the numbers. Lava cave here, ice cave there.. Looks great, has good atmosphere and a good world map though. I can recommend it.

I got word that I can pick up Xillia tomorrow. Can't wait, I already enjoyed Graces F though its not among my faves in the franchise.

daffy

Banned
Is this the ni no kuni review thread or the tales of xillia review thread. Sorry but not like this guys.

I was sort of bumming hard after I spent $60 on Xillia a couple days ago (I actually had to sell some games to buy it, something I never do), but these good reviews really energized me, so thanks!

I know I won't enjoy it as much as Graces f and its amazing battle system, and I will continue to be sad about the removal of the standard overworld and flying around it end-game, but it will still be a pretty great game and an awesome experience.

Now It's kind of weird that, with all the reviews, I did not see one comparison to Graces f, at least not in the summaries posted. Just mentions to Vesperia and Symphonia. Did nobody really care about Graces f? :(

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Now It's kind of weird that, with all the reviews, I did not see one comparison to Graces f, at least not in the summaries posted. Just mentions to Vesperia and Symphonia. Did nobody really care about Graces f? :(
IGN didn't even review it, iirc.

Though I suppose reviews tend to compare games to the closest thing to it that game out that year (and the flavour of the week seems to be NNK), so I don't think it's too surprising for them to draw comparisons to it.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I still haven't played NNK and considering my tastes are basically the same as Schala's I feel like I wouldn't enjoy it... =/

Ni No Kuni started out good and went down hill after a while .
One of the fews rpgs i never going to finish .
Any way some good reviews looking forward to the game .

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunno. I really liked Symphonia and Vesperia's overworlds. They felt nice.

Abyss's was pretty terrible, though. Haha.

I can imagine this will drop in price pretty quickly. Might be half the price tag by December.

This is the first native PS3 Tales game we're getting here in the states right? Graces F being an up-port and Vesperia being 360 only. Crazy to think, and it's already a 2 year old game.

Hellix

I can imagine this will drop in price pretty quickly. Might be half the price tag by December.

This is the first native PS3 Tales game we're getting here in the states right? Graces F being an up-port and Vesperia being 360 only. Crazy to think, and it's already a 2 year old game.

I thought the same about Graces F but I didn't seem to find it cheaper than $40 until recently.

I imagine price will drop like graces is now $38 on amazon. However, shipment seems really low for the limited edition, so if you want the extras that come with it then pick up ASAP.

PKrockin

I don't mind a lack of an overworld screen. EarthBound doesn't have one and it worked out great. It made the world feel much bigger, and going to a new area was exciting. You were never quite sure what kind of place your next destination would be because you couldn't just look over and see it from hundreds of miles away.

people REALLY miss tales overworlds?

I still remember walking around the n64 era overworld in symphonia/abyss at like 20fps.

I love it mostly because 1) the world feels bigger to me, and 2) the moment you get the ability to sail and/or fly around the whole planet is truly a special moment.

IGN didn't even review it, iirc.

Though I suppose reviews tend to compare games to the closest thing to it that game out that year (and the flavour of the week seems to be NNK), so I don't think it's too surprising for them to draw comparisons to it.

I don't know, I still think it makes too much sense to compare it to the previous Tales game on the same system. I mean, Ni no Kuni is totally different. Comparing Xillia to NNK is like comparing Mario 3 to Mega Man. Same genre, but poor comparison.

But that aside, with the media seemingly caring about this game more than Graces, maybe/hopefully it's a good indication Xillia will do OK here.

Cheddahz

Banned

I didn't like the game either, got bored with it pretty early into the game and the battle system was quite a dissapointment

Necrovex

I heavily dislike Ni No Kuni. Great beginning, but I couldn't continue to force myself to play it after the ten hour mark. It was like smacking my face against the wall.

randomkid

This is pretty spiteful but man I am judging you Tales fans sniffing your noses at Ni no Kuni so hard. You think you're being discerning but YOU ARE THE WORST! Schala you need to keep censoring yourself haha

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
This is pretty spiteful but man I am judging you Tales fans sniffing your noses at Ni no Kuni so hard. You think you're being discerning but YOU ARE THE WORST! Schala you need to keep censoring yourself haha
This is pretty much why I keep some opinions to myself. :p

But I did end up writing something 7 pages in Word as to why I didn't really enjoy it, so at least I justified myself!

kewlmyc

Don't know about everyone else, but Ni no Kuni isn't a bad game. It just seems weird that it is now the standard for western reviewers now. If it's not Ni no Kuni, it 's bad apparently.

Toki767

I definitely agree that Level 5 do tend to add a lot of half-baked systems/sub-systems in their games. Like they aren't confident that the core gameplay can last long so they have to keep adding more things to learn.

khaaan

I still have a copy of WKC sealed that I bought for $10. I'm afraid of playing it after everything I've heard.

Aeana

I definitely agree that Level 5 do tend to add a lot of half-baked systems/sub-systems in their games. Like they aren't confident that the core gameplay can last long so they have to keep adding more things to learn.

Meanwhile, Tales Studio is removing systems!

randomkid

Me being a big jerk aside, I did like reading your post I think. It's when I read it in the context of DEEP TALES ANALYSIS that I get dickish haha. Level 5 haterz got nothing on my everlasting resentment for Tales.

Aeana I ain't even trying to respond to that, you know I got no love for WKCrap.

Aeana

Me being a big jerk aside, I did like reading your post I think. It's when I read it in the context of DEEP TALES ANALYSIS that I get dickish haha. Level 5 haterz got nothing on my everlasting resentment for Tales.

Aeana I ain't even trying to respond to that, you know I got no love for WKCrap.

Out of curiosity, what is your background with the Tales games?

Paches

I am pretty shallow and loved Graces for the combat, it was pretty amazing. I don't think I will be picking this one up. Oh well, Dragon's Crown will keep me busy.

randomkid

Out of curiosity, what is your background with the Tales games?

Phantasia and Symphonia. I am sure that the systems in Graces are as lovely as you all say they are, but there's this particularly grating mediocrity in Tales DNA that feels designed to specifically bug the everliving shit out of me. And the music .... ugh sorry, will stop ranting.

Aeana

Phantasia and Symphonia. I am sure that the systems in Graces are as lovely as you all say they are, but there's this particularly grating mediocrity in Tales DNA that feels designed to specifically bug the everliving shit out of me. And the music .... ugh sorry, will stop ranting.

Okay. Well, that explains why you don't like Tales. Shrug.

Imagine if I quit playing Final Fantasy games after FF4, and that's kind of the situation you're in with Tales.

And when it's done really well (Graces), people ignore it and whine about the story/characters like they're all that matter, so I guess Toki767 is right.

you mean the whole enchanting thingy?

I don't think i ever really figured out what i was doing during my playthrough :/

Raw64life

I have a mild interest in this. Only Tales games I ever played was Symphonia and I loved it. Was pretty hyped for Vesperia but then my dreams were crushed when they inexplicably did not bring the PS3 version over to America. All these years later I'm still salty, and it's frustrating to go in the threads for Graces and Xilia and hear a pretty much unaminous "it's pretty good, but not as good as Vesperia" "Vesperia is definitely the best Tales this generation" etc. Pretty much killed my interest in the series.

Top Bottom