• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia Review Thread | More JRPGS? Yay!

PKrockin

I have a mild interest in this. Only Tales games I ever played was Symphonia and I loved it. Was pretty hyped for Vesperia but then my dreams were crushed when they inexplicably did not bring the PS3 version over to America. All these years later I'm still salty, and it's frustrating to go in the threads for Graces and Xilia and hear a pretty much unaminous "it's pretty good, but not as good as Vesperia" "Vesperia is definitely the best Tales this generation" etc. Pretty much killed my interest in the series.
"Inexplicably"? Wouldn't agree there. But if you loved Symphonia you should pick up whatever other Tales games you have the system for.

randomkid

Okay. Well, that explains why you don't like Tales. Shrug.

Imagine if I quit playing Final Fantasy games after FF4, and that's kind of the situation you're in with Tales.

I mean, I'm always telegraphing how shallow I am though, combat mechanics aren't gonna be enough to get me over all the other stuff right? I really did try to give the games a fair shot, but everything I've seen and read about the followups is like a giant NOT FOR RANDOMKID billboard. I don't know why I keep reading about Tales stuff when there are Shin Megami Tensei games to play anyways.

Cornbread78

I still have a copy of WKC sealed that I bought for $10. I'm afraid of playing it after everything I've heard.

Just do it. It's worth it....

It's a shame you will miss out on the best part of WKC I&II though. The online servers are down for good...

I still wish more RPGs did what Level-5 did with WKC's Geonet.

you mean the whole enchanting thingy?

I don't think i ever really figured out what i was doing during my playthrough :/

That was by far the worst part of Graces for me. The story was more enjoyable to me than that shit. Graces would have been better off without that stupid system which is there for no other reason than to waste my time.

Yuterald

Wait, there are other people who dislike Ni no Kuni around here?

So I didn't have to stick my Ni no Kuni skewering elsewhere and could've posted it in that game's OT? Why didn't anyone tell me this? D:

I couldn't stand Ni no Kuni either. I made it half way through that game before I dropped it because I was just so immensely bored with it. I think I lasted longer with Tales of Graces f, which should say a lot because I didn't care too much for that game either, lol! Not that I want to generalize, but I feel like Ni no Kuni is for people who don't normally enjoy or play RPGs very often. I also feel like the game emits an almost fake level of nostalgia. It's like, the game was marketed as a "classic" RPG and a "return to form" of sorts, but I don't remember any SNES/PSone-era RPGs playing like that game. It's like, people saw an old school overworld and they immediately thought it was a classic. =/

Like most Level 5 games, their visuals and attention to detail/presentation is what captures most people. Ni no Kuni excels in those areas, but it severely lacks in other, more important areas. For a monster raising/capturing game, I don't think I've played anything worse in the genre than Ni no Kuni. The fact that the game relies on what is essentially a random drop in order to build a party is horrible. I can't imagine playing an SMT game where after battle I had to rely on a drop rate in order to obtain a demon. It's crazy. Let's not even talk about the character AI either. =0

I can't help to raise an eyebrow if someone says Ni no Kuni is their "favorite RPG" of the generation, etc. Makes me not only question how many RPGs they've played, but also what their values are.

khaaan

Just do it. It's worth it....

It's a shame you will miss out on the best part of WKC I&II though. The online servers are down for good...

I still wish more RPGs did what Level-5 did with WKC's Geonet.

I bought it really late, I think it might have been a year now but at that point I was going to be entering a world where people had been playing and advancing for a few years. Having no idea how noob friendly the game was probably made me feel okay with pushing off playing it.

Good to know that characters and story are decent. I really don't have patience for the usual jrpg crap anymore. Love the artstyle, the game is beautiful, such a step up from Graces.
Been a while since I played something like this, will be a nice change of pace. Gotta love the diversity gamers have at their disposal.

Cheska

I can't help to raise an eyebrow if someone says Ni no Kuni is their "favorite RPG" of the generation, etc. Makes me not only question how many RPGs they've played, but also what their values are.

Okay, this comes off as pretty insulting. Just because someone doesn't share the same interests as you doesn't mean that their values should be questioned. For every game you dislike there's likely a person out there who loved it and had a great time playing through. Why exactly should they be judged then? Because they liked something that game had to offer that you didn't?

aravuus

Lmfao

I mean I also disliked Ni No Kuni, almost hated it but come on

Cornbread78

I bought it really late, I think it might have been a year now but at that point I was going to be entering a world where people had been playing and advancing for a few years. Having no idea how noob friendly the game was probably made me feel okay with pushing off playing it.

It actually had a great online community where many higher ranked players were ready to help. I jumped in many games and just shadowed players initially getting extra xp from high lvl enemies

Yuterald

Okay, this comes off as pretty insulting. Just because someone doesn't share the same interests as you doesn't mean that their values should be questioned. For every game you dislike there's likely a person out there who loved it and had a great time playing through. Why exactly should they be judged then? Because they liked something that game had to offer that you didn't?

I knew that comment would be taken the wrong way. Sorry, I didn't intend to make that sound insulting. It's just an observation I made of the gaming/RPG community. I'm not really judging anyone either. I couldn't care less if someone thinks Ni no Kuni is great or whatever. I just don't think I could have a serious conversation about RPGs with someone who shares that opinion. That's all I was trying to say.

Toki767

I knew that comment would be taken the wrong way. Sorry, I didn't intend to make that sound insulting. It's just an observation I made of the gaming/RPG community. I'm not really judging anyone either. I couldn't care less if someone thinks Ni no Kuni is great or whatever. I just don't think I could have a serious conversation about RPGs with someone who shares that opinion. That's all I was trying to say.

You can't have a conversation about a topic with someone who has a different opinion than yourself?

Shouta

It's like, the game was marketed as a "classic" RPG and a "return to form" of sorts, bt I don't remember any SNES/PSone-era RPGs playing like that game. It's like, people saw an old school overworld and they immediately thought it was a classic. =/

Classic hero adventure/journey, etc.

NNI is a return to form in that regard. It just has the trademark L5 touch of shallow/mediocre implementation of gameplay to an otherwise interesting setting or concept.

MilkBeard

Phantasia and Symphonia. I am sure that the systems in Graces are as lovely as you all say they are, but there's this particularly grating mediocrity in Tales DNA that feels designed to specifically bug the everliving shit out of me. And the music .... ugh sorry, will stop ranting.

Music is pretty great in Xillia so far, it's definitely a step up from previous games (that I've played). But I love this composer's work, especially in Star Ocean games.

To be honest, I wouldn't really call myself a 'Tales fan,' as I've only played a few. I used to be more of a Star Ocean fan, but that series has been inconsistent lately. I've been getting into Tales lately because I played the shit out of Graces and loved the combat.

But anyway, Ni no Kuni has a lot of charm, like someone mentioned before. I also love the town designs. But there's just something about the game that's kind of...boring. The game does have a lot of good elements to it, though. Great production. And yes, Tales games tend to be pretty cheesy. But that's just something I've come to enjoy. The skits make the games really enjoyable. Like watching a hilarious anime.

Yuterald

You can't have a conversation about a topic with someone who has a different opinion than yourself?

Heh, note the word serious in my last post. Of course I could have a conversation with someone about the game. It just imagine it would not be a very interesting conversation considering the source, lol!

randomkid

Heh, note the word serious in my last post. Of course I could have a conversation with someone about the game. It just imagine it would not be a very interesting conversation considering the source, lol!

I mean, I get what you're trying to say, but if I can admit that there are Tales fans who are in it for the mechanics then you should be able to see that there are Ni no Kuni fans who aren't just drooling over the graphics. There are things to appreciate in the game beyond charm, not that there's anything wrong with appreciating charm anyways. GAF is kinda quirky in that all the smart folks here with interesting things to say are mechanics focused, so it's easy to think that focusing on systems makes you a more "serious" critic or whatever. All the smart aesthetes with cool analyses just like to hang out at Talking Time and MMCafe haha.

Cheddahz

Banned
It seems like so far, opinions are pretty mixed about the game and I can see why. The game just doesn't look all that great and as I said before, it looks like the FFXIII of Tales and it looks like the Tales Team didn't try to improve on what Vesperia brought to the table

Cheska

What? Dude you're just digging a deeper hole. And quite honestly coming across like you think you're better than someone who liked NNK.

Cheddahz

Banned
I couldn't stand Ni no Kuni either. I made it half way through that game before I dropped it because I was just so immensely bored with it. I think I lasted longer with Tales of Graces f, which should say a lot because I didn't care too much for that game either, lol! Not that I want to generalize, but I feel like Ni no Kuni is for people who don't normally enjoy or play RPGs very often. I also feel like the game emits an almost fake level of nostalgia. It's like, the game was marketed as a "classic" RPG and a "return to form" of sorts, but I don't remember any SNES/PSone-era RPGs playing like that game. It's like, people saw an old school overworld and they immediately thought it was a classic. =/

Like most Level 5 games, their visuals and attention to detail/presentation is what captures most people. Ni no Kuni excels in those areas, but it severely lacks in other, more important areas. For a monster raising/capturing game, I don't think I've played anything worse in the genre than Ni no Kuni. The fact that the game relies on what is essentially a random drop in order to build a party is horrible. I can't imagine playing an SMT game where after battle I had to rely on a drop rate in order to obtain a demon. It's crazy. Let's not even talk about the character AI either. =0

Don't make fun of people just because you didn't like the game, but you did

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Just added another review for those interested.

GameZone: 8.5/10
Tales of Xillia marks an incredible return for the Tales series. The stellar combat, fun exploration, character and shop upgrading as well as a myriad of side quests to take part in all culminate in one amazing experience that I more than recommend checking out twice -- once as each character. While it's a shame it took this long to get the game over here, better late than never, right?

Shengar

A bit late maybe, but I just noticed it after I checked my email
Forbes give it a solid 8 for the game, if it matter.
I never though Daniel would be the one who reviewed it. I expect Erik Kain instead.

Soriku

Phantasia and Symphonia. I am sure that the systems in Graces are as lovely as you all say they are, but there's this particularly grating mediocrity in Tales DNA that feels designed to specifically bug the everliving shit out of me. And the music .... ugh sorry, will stop ranting.

Are you hating on ToS's music?

Anyway, the reviews seem good, a few 6's aside.

Qblivion

So how long is this game? I don't really have the patience for a game longer than 40 hours any more, save for an smt game.

Top Bottom